• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Yeah, they're not exactly achievements that would require your undivided attention. Heck, the game for the past few days for me has been mostly doing other things while keeping it "active" for bonjelium mining ticks.

And speaking of which, I wish we could trade those materials around. I'd trade a whole damn stack of one of the many resources I have no need for on a single bonjelium piece. The incoming ticket rate far exceeds the mining rate (which is exacerbated by the no mining ticks while doing Yggy farming). That said, I think I'm going to stop Yggy farming all together from here on out. I've been contemplating it for awhile, but the game is quickly losing any semblance of fun for me as it stands. Alternating between star-bumping-then-dumping 3 scouts over and over for an hour, and then killing the same monster until the earned medals are gone is a one way ticket to burn out. An extremely efficient use of time, but dangerous from an enjoyment standpoint when used a lot.

I can't believe I am saying this but I wish we had more online trading

also NPC trades would have been nice too
like a bunch of black market back alley Nopon and Ma-non traders for all resources at end game would have been great even if it was DLC due to lack of disc space, make it late game for those business focus NPCs to open secret shops would have added a lot of value to keep the game going.

that said I worry about my Wii U

had the gamepad on for like 6 days now, only turning the system off to reboot WiFi connection once

I only go to title screen once per day to load new Social Rankings which will not load new rankings unless I do that.

but I am really testing Nintendo's seal of quality for hardware doing this AWFG grind

My PS4 would have shit itself already like my DS4 did months ago lol

still I love silly number grinds, any game that gives me a grindtastic no skill just numbers leaderboard always gets me to spend time on it just cause it is there

they have plenty real skill based social ranking charts for XCX but you won't find me messing with those lol

did the same with Driveclub and The Crew for a while

Golnei

I heard that earlier, I can't say I'm a fan. The instrumental is fine, but those lyrics were clearly never intended to be sung by native speakers, on top of the genre not really complementing either of their voices - Adrisaurus' other covers seem like a much better fit for her. I'd actually like it more with kazoos instead of vocals...

DeSo

Banned
I am digging this game immensely and I still don't have a skell yet. Was just doing random missions and lost track of a couple of hours. I heard the OST was a bit iffy but I've enjoyed just about every track. I guess the NLA music is kinda eh. I love the Noctilum music. I guess the story is the only downer so far which isn't a huge deal when I enjoy the gameplay so much.

almost forgot to update again today https://twitter.com/NazHz/status/698601744603996160
CbHulagUYAArziH.jpg

the only good thing this weekend

RiggyRob

Part 2 of our Let's Play: https://youtu.be/bMP5tCJUCsI

Having a sprint button makes so much of a difference compared to Xenoblade, where although you were travelling reasonably far with each step it felt like you were just plodding along.

I do like how there's a great emphasis on scale and grandness, from the opening shot of Mira and the wildlife to the wide shot of New LA and the splash screen of the title. It makes me feel like Nintendo could focus on the more mature, hardcore gamer crowd if they made more games like this.

Again, apologies for the audio feedback, they'll be fixed for part 3 and on.

-Horizon-

Finally went ahead and grinded to blade level 10. And I finally switched divisions for the first time. 170+ hours of being a pathfinder lol. Changed to a harrier to speed up the blade leveling process. I'll probably change it again to the one to get salvage tickets.

Having a sprint button makes so much of a difference compared to Xenoblade, where although you were travelling reasonably far with each step it felt like you were just plodding along.

I do like how there's a great emphasis on scale and grandness, from the opening shot of Mira and the wildlife to the wide shot of New LA and the splash screen of the title. It makes me feel like Nintendo could focus on the more mature, hardcore gamer crowd if they made more games like this.

Again, apologies for the audio feedback, they'll be fixed for part 3 and on.

The vast scenery is mind-blowing even after I got mechs. Its just whoa.
Assuming the NX is a good jump over the power of the Wii U, I can only imagine the next monolith soft game.

RiggyRob

Finally went ahead and grinded to blade level 10. And I finally switched divisions for the first time. 170+ hours of being a pathfinder lol. Changed to a harrier to speed up the blade leveling process. I'll probably change it again to the one to get salvage tickets.

The vast scenery is mind-blowing even after I got mechs. Its just whoa.
Assuming the NX is a good jump over the power of the Wii U, I can only imagine the next monolith soft game.

I have a funny feeling that the next Monolith Soft game will be something entirely different to Xenoblade, possibly because of a Wii U to NX port of X, but we'll see. I would definitely love to see more like this, it's incredible what they've achieved with both games.

-Horizon-

I have a funny feeling that the next Monolith Soft game will be something entirely different to Xenoblade, possibly because of a Wii U to NX port of X, but we'll see. I would definitely love to see more like this, it's incredible what they've achieved with both games.

I hope its a direct sequel to X. They can't just end it there ;~;

Is there any Tyrant that you CANT beat with the Ares 90?

Well there are some tyrants that laugh off the ares' ether weapons lol.

I guess putting the right augments will help circumvent that problem. But some tyrants have so much HP and your weapon arts have such a long cool down it'll take down your mech before you can even attack again.

I hear those giant floating alien mechs (the tripod looking things above sylvalum and cauldros) can wreck the ares too. I haven't attempted it though >.>

Played for about 5-6 hours. Beat Chapter 11, and doing the Normal/Affinity missions before going to Chapter 12.

Post-Chapter 11 Normal Quest spoilers:
Fuuuuuuuck Definian Downfall. Rexoskell kicks my ass, so I need to go back with an actual preparation for it

Malus

Nintendo would need more Monolithsofts.

Maybe if they got Retro off their Donkey Kong infatuation.

But some tyrants have so much HP and your weapon arts have such a long cool down it'll take down your mech before you can even attack again.

Enough damage modifiers and everything will go down. Just make sure you got the right resistances too.

Well there are some tyrants that laugh off the ares' ether weapons lol.

I guess putting the right augments will help circumvent that problem. But some tyrants have so much HP and your weapon arts have such a long cool down it'll take down your mech before you can even attack again.

I hear those giant floating alien mechs (the tripod looking things above sylvalum and cauldros) can wreck the ares too. I haven't attempted it though >.>

I'm pretty sure the Ares 90 can kill anything it can actually reach if set up properly.

Zalusithix

Enough damage modifiers and everything will go down. Just make sure you got the right resistances too.

Sure, but damage modifiers are actually one of the weak points of the Ares. Far less sockets to slot in slayer augs compared to a traditional skell. That's not to say the Ares can't kill any given Tyrant, but it certainly wont be the best choice.

-Horizon-

Finally got all the field skills to 5. Now to go open all those boxes, trees, orbs and crap.

I'm pretty sure the Ares 90 can kill anything it can actually reach if set up properly.
Yeah, I figure. I'm not gonna bother grinding that mess of augment materials needed though.

Malus

Sure, but damage modifiers are actually one of the weak points of the Ares. Far less sockets to slot in slayer augs compared to a traditional skell. That's not to say the Ares can't kill any given Tyrant, but it certainly wont be the best choice.

But what would I need the extra sockets for if I can kill everything with the slots given by the Ares?

I suppose if you want to build a super Skell that can one shot everything.

-Horizon-

Speaking of which, I was just going around trying to fill out more of the map when I saw there was an aprica tyrant in oblivia I could do since it was finally raining. Found it and saw that it was only level 30 something so I thought, yeah, my mech can handle this. I guess I should've looked more into it since it probably had a reflect ability since it caused my ares to blow up lol. Oh well, looking on the bright side, it gave me an opportunity to practice doing infinite overdrives for my ground game and I managed to avenge my fallen mech.

Zalusithix

But what would I need the extra sockets for if I can kill everything with the slots given by the Ares?

I suppose if you want to build a super Skell that can one shot everything.

By that logic, why get anything if you can technically accomplish it with something less? There's a big gap between one shotting those tyrants and plodding along with the Ares. If you were farming them, or trying to reach the kill count achievements, anything faster than the Ares would be a boon.

Aside from kill speed there's also the greater flexibility offered by the 60 skells on damage types, ranged vs melee, OD choice, etc. Then there's the fact that the Ares is a fuel using pig. The only way to build up GP quickly for an OD to sidestep that fuel usage is using some of the precious few slots on GP art gain augs. Of course every slot used on a GP aug is one less used on a slayer aug.

Malus

By that logic, why get anything if you can technically accomplish it with something less? There's a big gap between one shotting those tyrants and plodding along with the Ares. If you were farming them, or trying to reach the kill count achievements, anything faster than the Ares would be a boon.

Aside from kill speed there's also the greater flexibility offered by the 60 skells on damage types, ranged vs melee, OD choice, etc. Then there's the fact that the Ares is a fuel using pig. The only way to build up GP quickly for an OD to sidestep that fuel usage is using some of the precious few slots on GP art gain augs. Of course every slot used on a GP aug is one less used on a slayer aug.

Sure, for farming and achievements having a faster build would be good. I just wanted to beat everything once and 100% the map and Ares was plenty enough for that purpose. More than anything I was trying to do it with as little augment grinding as possible so having 'fewer slots' to stick more augments in isn't really a negative so long as it gets the job done.

Plus it made me feel like a walking batmobile. That counts for something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Played for about 5-6 hours. Beat Chapter 11, and doing the Normal/Affinity missions before going to Chapter 12.

Post-Chapter 11 Normal Quest spoilers:
Fuuuuuuuck Definian Downfall. Rexoskell kicks my ass, so I need to go back with an actual preparation for it

Gotta learn to use Overdrive to beat that fight. You don't need infinite overdrive, you just need to maintain it long enough to deal some good burst damage. Just go into the fight with max TP and overdrive from the state.

Zalusithix

Plus it made me feel like a walking skating batmobile. That counts for something.

FTFY ;) But yeah, the Ares is certainly quite different from a style perspective. Both in design and animation. I like some parts of it, but hate other aspects. In the end the complete lack of flexibility kills it for me. I only bring it out now for vehicle mode. If nothing else, it makes a nice car.

And as long as I'm going to knock on the Ares, I'll say that I hate the stubby wings on the normal skells once you get the flight module. They'd serve next to no purpose when their size is factored in vs the skell weight, and they clip on 90% of the back weapons. Looks like ass on the ground and stupid in the air. Who decided those were a good idea? It's quite obvious the back weapons were not designed with them in place.

Just finished the mission about
Prones' marriage.
Man, I really like the writing of these xenos. In the early part of the game, I thought
Prone
are generic aliens who only know killing and listening to orders. But this quest really change how I feel about this race. The story of this normal quest is quite touching and they are romantic and true to their hearts.

Bonus: Another race has fallen to pizza!

RiggyRob

Exactly - there was a lot of chatter of Nintendo expanding and consolidating their divisions, and hopefully that would mean greater software output on the NX, but it seemed to be looking internally rather than externally.

Hopefully with Kimishima being the CEO of NoA, he realises that Nintendo need a strong base in the West as well as Japan to be successful.

Start acquiring more game companies!

I'm getting a little tired of the game right now...especially since affinity builds up so slowly. Should I beat the main quests first before tackling on the additionnal content ?

Falcs

Banned
Tsuko G did a cover of Uncontrollable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2Nm1doZow

Not a kazoo cover though if you were expecting something similar to his previous Xenoblade covers of You Will Know Our Names and Mechanical Rhythm.

Wow, this is an awesome cover!
I love this song. The lyrics are a bit silly, but the music is just fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I was trying to look up some covers for this game a few weeks ago and couldn't find any (good ones) yet.

alvis.exe

Any info out there about the most effective use of augments? Made 6 Crush.APPEND augments for my M-Missile grinding machine because they're so easy to make lol but thinking about making some Attribute/Position Damage augments to replace them now that I'm farming at a better rate. I've heard 2-3 Attribute/Position XX Augments is generally enough?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, so I'm grinding up for the Ares 90 and I have a few questions:

1. Damn, how are you supposed to kill the Vita again? I went to fight it in the Time Attack, but then I stopped doing damage just before it dies. I tried shooting the little balls but I was only doing 1 or 2 dmg to it at a time. Then I died. Is that right though, you have to shoot the little balls? I feel like I'm doing it wrong and inefficiently

2. What's the most efficient way of getting rewards tickets outside of fighting the Nemesis where you're supposed to break off appendages. I haven't tried that method, but I have 3 Lv 50 skells and I figured that I wouldn't be powerful enough to do it with only that, so I haven't tried.

Tripon

Okay, so I'm grinding up for the Ares 90 and I have a few questions:

1. Damn, how are you supposed to kill the Vita again? I went to fight it in the Time Attack, but then I stopped doing damage just before it dies. I tried shooting the little balls but I was only doing 1 or 2 dmg to it at a time. Then I died. Is that right though, you have to shoot the little balls? I feel like I'm doing it wrong and inefficiently

2. What's the most efficient way of getting rewards tickets outside of fighting the Nemesis where you're supposed to break off appendages. I haven't tried that method, but I have 3 Lv 50 skells and I figured that I wouldn't be powerful enough to do it with only that, so I haven't tried.

Hire 3 Level 60s BLADES from the scout terminals. Fly to the end of Noctalium, and fight Joker, the level 90 Tyrant in the big flower. He's actually really easy and you should kill him with the level 50 skells. Keep on rinse and repeating using your return to skell option until you max out your level 60 BLADES to max level, then return to scout terminal to release and get the blade medals, plus 15 reward tickets per BLADE.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hire 3 Level 60s BLADES from the scout terminals. Fly to the end of Noctalium, and fight Joker, the level 90 Tyrant in the big flower. He's actually really easy and you should kill him with the level 50 skells. Keep on rinse and repeating using your return to skell option until you max out your level 60 BLADES to max level, then return to scout terminal to release and get the blade medals, plus 15 reward tickets per BLADE.

First, LOVE your Avatar!

So that's 45 reward tickets total with three dudes? I thought that method doesn't work anymore, it was my understanding that was patched in the NA version. Maybe I just read that wrong, I didn't think you got reward tickets for doing that anymore.

Tripon

First, LOVE your Avatar!

So that's 45 reward tickets total with three dudes? I thought that method doesn't work anymore, it was my understanding that was patched in the NA version. Maybe I just read that wrong, I didn't think you got reward tickets for doing that anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...u_just_hit_level_60_ares_90_skells_140k_100k/

Yeah, my mistake. Well, you can still do that method to get the blade medals which will let you fight Yaggie Zero and get more reward tickets.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Right my issue is that I don't think I can fight that guy with my current party/setup. At least I haven't tried, I assume that a Lv.50 skell with Phoenix and GBuster 2 is not going to be strong enough to break off parts...

Tripon

Right my issue is that I don't think I can fight that guy with my current party/setup. At least I haven't tried, I assume that a Lv.50 skell with Phoenix and GBuster 2 is not going to be strong enough to break off parts...
Nah, I went with a Phoenix and GBuster sword and I survived easily.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Throw some inscetoid slayers on the phoenix so it'll murder the ads with no trouble and just wait for Joker's dodge aura to fade after he throws it up.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Nah, I went with a Phoenix and GBuster sword and I survived easily.

Throw some inscetoid slayers on the phoenix so it'll murder the ads with no trouble and just wait for Joker's dodge aura to fade after he throws it up.

Are we talking about Yaggy Zero or Joker?

I'm talking about Yaggy. A Lv50 skell with Phoenix is enough to break off parts for tickets?

Zalusithix

I haven't tried it, but I doubt a level 50 skell with a Phoenix and G-Buster will have much fun with Yggy - especially if you have a heavy. Yggy uses gravity based attacks, and level 50 skells range from bad to horribly bad on gravity resist. Given that you'd need at least one armor slot dedicated to anti topple, you're looking at 0 to -10 gravity resist max with a heavy 50 (weapon augs aside). Lights fare better in this regard (but still not good), but Yggy does more than just gravity damage and lights don't have much HP, so it'd still be a gamble.

With an appendage crusher build it would be possible as you'll break the parts long before he can do enough damage back. That requires some ME/SA M-Missiles with MSL-MAG augs, crush append augs, and ultrafauna slayer augs. Those plus a Buster-Launcher or Dragon/Meteor depending whether you went the ME or SA route with the missiles will break all appendages really fast. Alternatively, a thermal build with MSL-MAG diskbombs alone should probably be sufficient - if a bit slower and require positional changes. (Still want the crush and slayer augs with the diskbombs.) All of these things are useful for a 60 skell as well, so they wouldn't be a waste of time to farm.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh, for that just to Telethia Plume. It's much easier.

Ok so how long do i fight him? As long as he still has APG to attack, or if I stay in the fght the whole time constantly attaching apeng will I get a lot of loot? It's kind of hard to tell which apeng he still has and sometimes I end up killing him and another one respawns, should Infight that one for more apeng breaks or quit the fight at that point ?

Zalusithix

Ok so how long do i fight him? As long as he still has APG to attack, or if I stay in the fght the whole time constantly attaching apeng will I get a lot of loot? It's kind of hard to tell which apeng he still has and sometimes I end up killing him and another one respawns, should Infight that one for more apeng breaks or quit the fight at that point ?

Err, I think you're totally lost on how the global nemesis fights work. They have a global HP pool (RP) that they pull from every time you drain an HP bar. They don't die, and thus a "new" one never respawns. Another HP bar simply replaces the one that depleted for the same spawn. Any appendages that you destroyed remain destroyed throughout the entire fight. For ticket farming, you only fight until all the appendages are broken and then abandon. Continuing the fight to the end is only good for getting the RP count up and for a few miscellaneous rewards that you'd otherwise not get. Neither are a concern if you're grinding for tickets.

As for being hard to tell which appendage they have, it's rather easy as the appendage targets have their own HP ring that the main body doesn't. No more parts with rings, no more appendages to break. Yggy is easier to tell though because his parts actually go flying off.

-Horizon-

Haha lugalbanda, stay down >:D
First try too. Only dropped a reflect though.
Second try it just wrecked me and my team when I got it to maybe half health.
Third try I got revenge on it haha got another reflect.
Fourth go I had to go scout a team with treasure sensors and I finally got the weapon drop.

Yeah I'm doing the boring and oh so original ether blossom build. But screw it, I'm too lazy to try my own thing right now. And it feels good wrecking these tyrants on foot. Also showed the millesaurs who was boss.

I do have to ask though: is there anything I can do to stop the whole flinching and getting knocked the heck off my feet by some enemies?

-Horizon-

Wow, I actually managed to beat all the time attacks for the first time. The twins one is still whack. So much stunning and forcing me to run after as the both of them waltz around the field. Its the one that took me the longest too :/

Malus

I do have to ask though: is there anything I can do to stop the whole flinching and getting knocked the heck off my feet by some enemies?

There are probably resist augments for those, though I don't know how useful they are compared to other stuff you could be spending slots on.

-Horizon-

There are probably resist augments for those, though I don't know how useful they are compared to other stuff you could be spending slots on.
I'll go check out the augment menu again.
Not looking forward to the grind which I'm sure there will be :x

Top Bottom