• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Wichu

It finally arrived.
iJPeEblh.jpg
fbI9aLmh.jpg
Delicious.

RiggyRob

Part 3 of our Let's Play: https://youtu.be/q6XbQwrc1QQ

If you're watching, you should hopefully notice that the annoying audio feedback/echo is gone, and there's a lot more visual references in the video too. I'm slowly getting better at editing and I think it should help provide a bit of liveliness to the videos. Unfortunately this video is quite dated by now, it's taken a while for us to actually get the upload schedule going.

Still quite a slow start to the game, I don't remember the original Xenoblade taking this long to get going, but I guess because this game is fucking enormous it needs the set-up.

Zalusithix

Still quite a slow start to the game, I don't remember the original Xenoblade taking this long to get going, but I guess because this game is fucking enormous it needs the set-up.

Arguably the whole damn game is a set up lol. XCX is more about what you make of the exploration, crafting, sidequests, etc. The main story never really gets going to the point where it pulls you in. Even if it did, there's enough restrictions on requirements for continuing story chapters that the flow would be killed.

RiggyRob

Arguably the whole damn game is a set up lol. XCX is more about what you make of the exploration, crafting, sidequests, etc. The main story never really gets going to the point where it pulls you in. Even if it did, there's enough restrictions on requirements for continuing story chapters that the flow would be killed.

Yeah, I've seen the OP say that it's more about the world and what you do in it rather than the story focus of a typical RPG, and the sidequests have a lot more effort put into like the Witcher 3 does - this is one of those games where you can play nothing else for months
until the next Nintendo retail release.

-Horizon-

193 hours wtf
I'm pretty sure all this time is ruining the U's disc drive >.>
Not even done with affinity missions, those support missions says you gain a lot of affinity but in reality it still takes a lot of passes to gain one heart.

At least I finished the collectopedia.

Dang, Elma's pose is on point.
97wT8A3l.jpg

s7AndpZl.jpg

My team right now.
PGk4yk4l.jpg

I see I wasn't the only one that gave Lyn cat ears.

mclem

I've taken exploration and subquests to a daft extent (That's nothing new; I did much the same with Xenoblade, it's my natural style of play)

I've only just finished Chapter 7, most of my characters are in the 50's, I'm starting to see repeat Basic quests)...

...and I reckon I've just stumbled on the final boss chamber. Or at least, a climactic boss environment.

http://i.imgur.com/KG6En73.jpg

I think, maybe, I should start just going forwards in the plot.

Zalusithix

I've taken exploration and subquests to a daft extent (That's nothing new; I did much the same with Xenoblade, it's my natural style of play)

I've only just finished Chapter 7, most of my characters are in the 50's, I'm starting to see repeat Basic quests)...

...and I reckon I've just stumbled on the final boss chamber. Or at least, a climactic boss environment.

http://i.imgur.com/KG6En73.jpg

I think, maybe, I should start just going forwards in the plot.

You haven't stumbled upon the final boss chamber, I'll tell you that much.

So you hate at most 4-5 songs on an OST that's 4 CDs long...that makes the whole thing a disaster?

There are only 2 or so songs that I really dislike, it's more that there are only 3 or so songs that I really love as well. Don't think I've categorized it as a disaster, average is what I would call it. It's sort of like the latest Tomb Raider winning that writing in video games award recently. It lets me know that the people that give those awards do not share my tastes so I can just disregard it in the future.

Pokemaniac

So I decided to go and fight Telethia Plume, since I got a thing saying it was nearing defeat, and it went down immediately after my first blow landed.

I'm not sure if this means I was actually the one to kill it or not, but I got the "A True Hero" achievement, at least.

Mendrox

Part 3 of our Let's Play: https://youtu.be/q6XbQwrc1QQ

If you're watching, you should hopefully notice that the annoying audio feedback/echo is gone, and there's a lot more visual references in the video too. I'm slowly getting better at editing and I think it should help provide a bit of liveliness to the videos. Unfortunately this video is quite dated by now, it's taken a while for us to actually get the upload schedule going.

Picture is not full screen and ruins it for me. Why is the picture not filled completely? :)

RiggyRob

Picture is not full screen and ruins it for me. Why is the picture not filled completely? :)

That would be because I am an idiot and forgot to zoom the video track in on Sony Vegas. The same thing's been happening with my Wind Waker HD playthrough but I've been remembering to do it there, I think it's an issue with how the Elgato HD60 records gameplay because it doesn't happen with my Dark Souls II videos since that's recorded directly on the PS4.

Again, just amateur mistakes really - I'll fix it for the next batch of videos.

That would be because I am an idiot and forgot to zoom the video track in on Sony Vegas. The same thing's been happening with my Wind Waker HD playthrough but I've been remembering to do it there, I think it's an issue with how the Elgato HD60 records gameplay because it doesn't happen with my Dark Souls II videos since that's recorded directly on the PS4.

I don't think it's the Elgato HD60, but your Wii U settings. My very first test recording of Smash 4 also had black borders, but then I found out I had to fix the overscan settings. Elgato has a help page about this: Removing black bars around edges of Wii U video in Elgato Game Capture HD

RiggyRob

Mendrox

No kidding - thanks for this, that'll save a lot of headaches in future.

Still a dumb mistake from myself to let it happen, but we live and learn.

It's fine man, I've got a normal El Gato and don't have the problem with Wii U games so it seems to be an El Gato 60 problem. :) Keep going!

Zalusithix

It's fine man, I've got a normal El Gato and don't have the problem with Wii U games so it seems to be an El Gato 60 problem. :) Keep going!

I've had no need to muck around with settings using the HD60 pro either. Overscan issues with HDMI is kind of odd to begin with.

I've had no need to muck around with settings using the HD60 pro either. Overscan issues with HDMI is kind of odd to begin with.

It's just a setting Nintendo put in the Wii U system menu for weird TVs, I guess. At the university I work at, there are some TVs that default to some "smart setting". I once connected a computer to it via HDMI and was wondering why the hell my desktop was cropped.

RiggyRob

It's just a setting Nintendo put in the Wii U system menu for weird TVs, I guess. At the university I work at, there are some TVs that default to some "smart setting". I once connected a computer to it via HDMI and was wondering why the hell my desktop was cropped.

That would definitely be the case, I'm using a very early HD TV that only goes up to 720p/1080i - I'm glad you helped me figure out what was going wrong!

Zalusithix

Oh, I know why the option is there. It's just odd to have to actually have to deal with it in this day in age via HDMI. Considering that he's using an old TV, however, it kind of makes sense. The only part that's strange is that the PS4 supposedly doesn't exhibit the issue. All else being the same, either the Wii U should not be filling up the TV entirely or the PS4's image should be cropped on the TV.

It's kind of amusing though speaking about the Wii U's options in regards to the Elgato. It's actually the distinct lack of options that forced my hand on purchasing one. Since the Wii U lacks the ability to set the black level, and I play on a monitor, I needed some way to make the system playable on it. No way was I going into a multi hundred hour trip to Mira with washed out blacks and muted whites. The Elgato does the trick in that regard - even via passthrough interestingly enough by altering the color space. Also gave me the perk of being able to record my playthrough. Not exactly a cheap solution, but still cheaper than the next best options.

varkuriru

Finally got my first skell and thrashed it a couple of times already whooo! The game took a while to click but the world and exploration is pretty fun. The music slowly infected me and now I kinda like it but, the mech battle songs I've heard are kinda weak.

Zalusithix

Finally got my first skell and thrashed it a couple of times already whooo! The game took a while to click but the world and exploration is pretty fun. The music slowly infected me and now I kinda like it but, the mech battle songs I've heard are kinda weak.

Hope you've been nailing the soul voices upon destruction, else you're likely going to lose it permanently soon. Might want to move it to a party member if you haven't and it still has 1 insurance left.

Ogodei

I had a run of abuse for my Wii U's disc drive yesterday because i kept resetting the game: was sick of losing to Rexoskell and having to sneak/fight my way back through that cave again, so i just started resetting.

Did beat Rexoskell: Elma/Lin/L and PC at level 56. The hard part is that damned drone attack that chews off almost a full life bar of HP, but counts as one attack so that once the attack is launched, it's going to go through to completion whether you stagger/topple/stun in the meantime. Fortunately i was on the psycholauncher/beamsword build and found out i had an art that seemed tailor made for fighting that attack: Astrolibrium. If it wasn't in cooldown and i had the TP for it (which was another thing, since Rex has the occasional TP drain attack), then i could deploy it after the first or second hit, and the other 4 or 5 hits would get reflected for 4-5k damage on the target.

Outdoors wasn't as bad, except we drew the aggro of three other mechs, and my team is still mostly level 30s.

Will probably be a while before i play again. Fire Emblem day!

Zalusithix

Get to level 30 and buy a real mech. The free one is cool but isn't combat ready.
It's good for giving to a party member. Saves the cost of another skell, and can dish out decent enough damage with intergalactic weapons. Makes more sense than buying 4 level 30 skells at least.

-Horizon-

It's good for giving to a party member. Saves the cost of another skell, and can dish out decent enough damage with intergalactic weapons. Makes more sense than buying 4 level 30 skells at least.

Eh, by the time I could buy a level 30 mech, I had enough money for everyone in my party :3

Zalusithix

Eh, by the time I could buy a level 30 mech, I had enough money for everyone in my party :3
Certainly possible, but the funding situation will vary from person to person depending on how fast they make it to 30 and how many probes / sight seeing locations they have planted at the time. That and you don't really need 4 level 30 skells. By the time anything is that difficult, you'll most likely be level 50 and have access to the 50 skells.

-Horizon-

Certainly possible, but the funding situation will vary from person to person depending on how fast they make it to 30 and how many probes / sight seeing locations they have planted at the time. That and you don't really need 4 level 30 skells. By the time anything is that difficult, you'll most likely be level 50 and have access to the 50 skells.

True. Though that boss in
sylvalum, the giant ship thing
is a pain without a group of mechs.

Zalusithix

True. Though that boss in
sylvalum, the giant ship thing
is a pain without a group of mechs.

Shows how differently things can pan out between playthroughs. I was level 50 by then. My Mastema made very short work of said boss. Like dead in well under a minute short work. I had other skells (including the original 20!) in the party, but the Mastema was the only 50 and did the most damage by an order of magnitude. Could have easily tackled it with the Mastema alone.

Relative skell power progression isn't really linear. 30 is more powerful than 20, but 50 is way more powerful than 30, and a 60 demolishes the 50s (mostly due to superweapons and vastly improved defenses and resists).

I thought the gap between 50 and 30 skells were smaller myself, you essentially go from having no skells to suddenly having the ability to kill things much higher level than you are which is a leap in power that's never really topped except by things like Servant Sacrifice and Overdrive.

I recommend most new players to get a 50 myself because most players tend to get caught off guard by the difficulty ramp of the later chapters, but I've seen posts that insist that you don't need to have more than 30s.

Zalusithix

I thought the gap between 50 and 30 skells were smaller myself, you essentially go from having no skells to suddenly having the ability to kill things much higher level than you are which is a leap in power that's never really topped except by things like Servant Sacrifice and Overdrive.

I recommend most new players to get a 50 myself because most players tend to get caught off guard by the difficulty ramp of the later chapters, but I've seen posts that insist that you don't need to have more than 30s.

I say that because the 50s can equip the highest end non-superweapons. Obtaining those weapons in the first place can take a bit, but a well equipped 50 can dominate a 30. You're also more likely to have decent skell wear and augments when you have the 50s which further boosts the power differential.

Zalusithix

I am calling bullshit on this AKI guy did he stay offline or did he hack? see yesterday's post above

WVW69i6Vpj8gZSxllw

If it is hacking, that would have the be the saddest hacker ever. Either that or a sadist that has been following this thread and has made it their mission to dethrone you. In that case I'd expect to see them in the other ranking as well. Also, a true sadist would manipulate their score so they're always just barely ahead of you. Give you the illusion that you stood a chance. Make you try ever harder only to repeatedly quash your hopes and dreams. So, yeah, I'm going with just offline. =P

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im playing chapter 8 and its awesome and everything, like im really feeling it, but one amazing thing is happening right now, like i got this this veras ST for Lin right, and its stock as shit, like its still got its weapons it came with when I purchased it and everything, I ddint even bother with the paint job yet(I might just leave it as is cause I like the color) but idk what weapon she has on it, but its like one-shotting enemy skells, and we arent over-leveled, trust me.

I wonder how many people see my character in their game. I know I've seen a few people's from here.

haha I'd rather replace tatsu with tatsu's sister who's always hungry

I saw Heng earlier.

-Horizon-

Im playing chapter 8 and its awesome and everything, like im really feeling it, but one amazing thing is happening right now, like i got this this veras ST for Lin right, and its stock as shit, like its still got its weapons it came with when I purchased it and everything, I ddint even bother with the paint job yet(I might just leave it as is cause I like the color) but idk what weapon she has on it, but its like one-shotting enemy skells, and we arent over-leveled, trust me.

I saw Heng earlier.

I can't remember offhand is the veras the bunny ear one? If so its got that giant shoulder sword which has a huge attack and stagger power.

Zalusithix

haha I'd rather replace tatsu with tatsu's sister who's always hungry

Why replace him with another Nopon at all? Give me a Ma-non or Orphe any day of the week. Hell, I'll even take a Zaruboggan - at least they could be useful. I'd rather drag around a legit potato than a Nopon.

The Verus has the G-Buster on it which is gravity based. Skells are extremely vulnerable to gravity based attacks, so the already powerful G-Buster is even more powerful. Other weapons good for skell bashing are ones with beam and electric elements.

Top Bottom