• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Pokemaniac

I've noticed that. It's more that this one weapon is ridiculously overpowered (by two orders of magnitude) compared to everything else I own or can even buy. It almost seems like it's a level 50 weapon that was classified as level 30 by mistake. I didn't realise that you could even get weapons like this.

Some of the rarer weapons are ridiculously good statistically speaking. Especially because optimization in skell combat is all about dealing as much damage in a single hit as possible. A fully tricked out level 60 frame can potentially reach the damage cap.

Some of the rarer weapons are ridiculously good statistically speaking. Especially because optimization in skell combat is all about dealing as much damage in a single hit as possible. A fully tricked out level 60 frame can potentially reach the damage cap.
I suppose that explains the presence of some of the more ridiculous tyrants around the place. That seems like such a faraway goal right now.

Celegus

Am I better off buying the one really expensive level 50 Skell or buying a couple of the mediums? I only have like 3 million credits, so I need more money in any case. Just trying to clear chapter 12.

Can someone explain research probes? Im doing that affinity mission and have no idea what I'm doing. The game never explained these to me and I didn't see enough of an explanation in the manual.

flyover

Am I better off buying the one really expensive level 50 Skell or buying a couple of the mediums? I only have like 3 million credits, so I need more money in any case. Just trying to clear chapter 12.

For me, buying that expensive
Amdusias
skell was the way to go. Then, I went to
Badr Basin in Sylvalum and kill some Puges
to get
G-Buster and Phoenix
weapons. You should be in better shape to clear the chapter then, hopefully. It's always best to make sure you're good on foot, too, so don't assume a good skell is an insta-win.

If you're really looking to cheap out, are level 60, and have been doing affinity missions, there's a way to get a similar (but better) skell for free:
Alexa's final mission
. Get that, and you can maybe afford a couple cheaper skells for your party. But if you haven't been working on affinity, that could take longer than earning cash.

Celegus

For me, buying that expensive
Amdusias
skell was the way to go. Then, I went to
Badr Basin in Sylvalum and kill some Puges
to get
G-Buster and Phoenix
weapons. You should be in better shape to clear the chapter then, hopefully. It's always best to make sure you're good on foot, too, so don't assume a good skell is an insta-win.

If you're really looking to cheap out, are level 60, and have been doing affinity missions, there's a way to get a similar (but better) skell for free:
Alexa's final mission
. Get that, and you can maybe afford a couple cheaper skells for your party. But if you haven't been working on affinity, that could take longer than earning cash.

Haha, I've never used her once. Party switching is obviously a huge pain in this game, so I have no clue where she even is. So that's probably out. I'm not even level 50 yet either! Thanks for the advice though, just gotta grind out some levels and cash. Hardly have any research probes though, so my income sucks.

alvis.exe

Can someone explain research probes? Im doing that affinity mission and have no idea what I'm doing. The game never explained these to me and I didn't see enough of an explanation in the manual.

They're like mining probes except they make you money. Put them in sites with unlocked sightseeing spots for maximum returns.

Haha, I've never used her once. Party switching is obviously a huge pain in this game, so I have no clue where she even is. So that's probably out. I'm not even level 50 yet either! Thanks for the advice though, just gotta grind out some levels and cash. Hardly have any research probes though, so my income sucks.

She's by the entrance to the Outfitters Test Hangar in the Industrial District. One of the easier characters to recruit considering how close she is to a fast travel spot IIRC though most of the characters are reeeaally close to fast travel spots. Here's a list off the top of my head:

Frye - Repenta Diner
Celica - Integrated Production Plant
HB - Water Purification Plant
Hope and Phog - Deliverance Park
Boze - West Melville Street
Mia - Ma-non Ship (Deck)
Nagi - BLADE Tower
L - Armory Alley

Then there are 4 characters (Gwin, Lao, Irina, Murderess) along the stretch of Division Drive (guys to the north, girls to the south) and Lin and Elma who hang out in the Barracks. Your last two characters would be Yelv and Doug with Doug requiring a little trek into the Hangar and Yelv hiding out in an alleyway near North Founders Street.

Hope that helps!

kunonabi

ugh, I got the two holofigures from the superboss in Noctillum but now I have to figure out how to get the two from those POS tyrants in the Ganglion Antropolis. It's bad enough I can't use my skell on them but the two of them are designed to completely shut down my character so I have to create a new build from scratch.

kunonabi

Which tyrants must be fought on foot?

(kind of a random question I know)

not that many. Turns out you can kill one of the ones in the antropolis with a mech.

Lubulganda
is the big one. There is also
Urdu
in the Antropolis and a tyrant in the north Ants nest in Oblivia. The rest were all pushovers and I'd say the total number might even be in the single digits.

All holofigures collected I'm happy to say although it sucks that I had to buy the dlc support missions to do it and now I can't buy the bundle. Gameplay wise that has to be my biggest gripe. Not being able to really earn BP without DLC is really annoying and you can't redistribute points which makes it pretty much mandatory.

current status:

626/749 Play Awards

221 Enemy entries to complete

Crafting:
7 Dolls
42 Doll Super Weapons
35 Inner Suit items
65 weapons

Relatively easy work just time consuming. I have no idea if tracking down the remaining blueprints will be a problem or not.

I'm going to try and do the two painfully stupid play awards but honestly I think it might be impossible to get them all anyway. In 363+ hours I have yet to win a single Treasure Deal. Have people just stopped doing those altogether?

In 363+ hours I have yet to win a single Treasure Deal. Have people just stopped doing those altogether?
I am *only* 75 hours in and I won my first Treasure Deal, but I have no idea how or even what benefits that brings.

I finally got the Skell Flight Module, which is terrific. Finally getting to the top of Anvil Rock etc. is so gratifying, although I'm not sure I agree with the decision to have it completely replace jumping. Maybe a toggle might have been nice.

I also finally finished the mission chain that unlocks the final Arms Manufacturer
Six Stars
. Brought them up to level 3 with my first haul of Miranium (bringing in ~45K per instance) and I'm hoping that once I max them out, I can switch to maximising my money haul. I unlocked the final research probe mission where you need to bring in 130K and I just don't know how I will make that happen. I don't have anything near enough research probes to do it.

I had to buy a third skell to bring down (Chapter 10 spoilers)
Zu Pharg
. It was the biggest, baddest heavy skell you could buy in the LV 30 range. I am a little annoyed that it came to that, since I was saving my pennies for the priciest LV 50 skell once I reached that level and outfitting it set me back around 700K credits. I'm only bringing in around 50K credits each time right now, so it stings just a little.

kunonabi

Had a good run the other day so I only need 3 more treasure deals. World Enemy just popped up so I need to make sure I don't fall asleep or forget to press the home button this time.

kunonabi

Does anyone know what to kill to get lvl. 60 Sakuraba Skell Gear? I keep finding it in two different gold colors but I want the dark blue/pink gear instead. I need a right arm piece but I have no idea where I got them.

Renewed

Does anyone know what to kill to get lvl. 60 Sakuraba Skell Gear? I keep finding it in two different gold colors but I want the dark blue/pink gear instead. I need a right arm piece but I have no idea where I got them.

Maybe the Petramands in that lava cave near NW Primordia (that requires Skell flight afaik)? I only remember they drop Skell gear, probably just Ultra Infinite/Regal.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hey is this where I can complain about how fucking garbage the shitty Turf War mission is?

I died fighting the big guys once and now I feel like I have to just wait and come back in ten levels. They aggro me within literally a ten second run from the nearest checkpoint, even if I'm behind a damn hill and they have no line of sight. Meanwhile I have to run past all these level 52 bubble-shooting assholes who will also aggro on you from forever away if they happen to be facing in your direction. Of course, they literally spin in circles a bunch, so that's always going to happen. I can't even try the fight in my skells because that just makes the enemies aggro from FARTHER, and draws the attention of the gigantic level 50 tyrant wandering around the area.

Meanwhile the guys I have to fight are huge and tough, but supposedly only level 36.

Fuck Turf War.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey is this where I can complain about how fucking garbage the shitty Turf War mission is?

I died fighting the big guys once and now I feel like I have to just wait and come back in ten levels. They aggro me within literally a ten second run from the nearest checkpoint, even if I'm behind a damn hill and they have no line of sight. Meanwhile I have to run past all these level 52 bubble-shooting assholes who will also aggro on you from forever away if they happen to be facing in your direction. Of course, they literally spin in circles a bunch, so that's always going to happen. I can't even try the fight in my skells because that just makes the enemies aggro from FARTHER, and draws the attention of the gigantic level 50 tyrant wandering around the area.

Meanwhile the guys I have to fight are huge and tough, but supposedly only level 36.

Fuck Turf War.

That is literally the worst quest in the game. If you have awesome skells or can abuse over drive it's not too bad though.

Htown

That is literally the worst quest in the game. If you have awesome skells or can abuse over drive it's not too bad though.

I haven't really gotten into overdrive stuff really. Been too busy spending time just exploring and such. I should really figure that stuff out.

I thought I was doing pretty well in the money stakes, but then I hit level 50, so I go to the weapons console to get kitted up with a new skell. I'm thinking "Yeah, I have heaps of cash and I spent about an hour grinding Badr Basin, so I have Intergalactic G-Busters and Phoenixes out the wazoo. I'll finally be able to take on the Level 5 mechanical skill quest! This is gonna be awesome!"

It turns out that I'm a million credits short of being able to buy the most expensive skell :|

flyover

I thought I was doing pretty well in the money stakes, but then I hit level 50, so I go to the weapons console to get kitted up with a new skell. I'm thinking "Yeah, I have heaps of cash and I spent about an hour grinding Badr Basin, so I have Intergalactic G-Busters and Phoenixes out the wazoo. I'll finally be able to take on the Level 5 mechanical skill quest! This is gonna be awesome!"

It turns out that I'm a million credits short of being able to buy the most expensive skell :|

Yeah, the price go up by A LOT for the level 50s. I know that feeling. Good luck. You probably know already, but if you can spend a little time setting up some research probes around some booster probes (if only temporarily, in case you've been using them to hoard miranium) together in one of the continents, you might be able to speed things up a little -- though it'll still feel like forever!

You can also sell extraneous inventory, but it's often a lot of work for what's usually very little reward.

Renewed

Finally got this, but I'm gonna need some more paint and primer. Really excited nonetheless for the assembly, hopefully this turns out well.

eGdPhhz.jpg

Finally got this, but I'm gonna need some more paint and primer. Really excited nonetheless for the assembly, hopefully this turns out well.

I received one last Friday (after paying customs fees), but I don't have the time currently nor the tools to build it right now. (Last time I built a model, I borrowed some tools from someone.)

I wonder if I should paint the model, though, since I have no prior experience painting plastic models.

kunonabi

Got the last Treasure Deal play award so the last problematic one I have left is the 100 co-op matches. Once I get that and the godawful 777 augment slot one done I'll be able to just grind through the remaining monster killing ones at my own pace.

Ninferno

Cool. Do let us know how it turns out, quality, design, and stuffs. Have been on the fence about getting this for a long time, but is wary of Kotobukiya since I'm mainly a Bandai guy and has only one kit from Kotobukiya before.

It took the purchase of a second level 50 skell, the removal of all thermal weapons, stacked Insectoid Slayer XX augments and targeting the thing's head, then horn (with Appendage Crusher XX) but I (just barely) took down *Lv 5 Archeology skill quest*
Calore the Lava Walker
before he destroyed my Amdusias and dropped me in the lava.

The level 5 field skill quests are seriously unfair.

kunonabi

got the slot machine award yesterday and I managed a good 15 or so online co-op quests today so I should be nearing 50 of those pretty soon.

matmanx1

It's painful but the level 50 Amdusias is seriously worth it. It's a huge upgrade over any of the level 30 Skells.

I spent some time farming and picked up a level 50 Phoenix, G Buster and a few other goodies last night. Amdusias is doing some big damage now.

So Nintendo is offering me 30% off the game this month due to it being my birthday. Is this game worth 40 dollars?

It's a very mixed bag of some extremely high highs paired with some bizarre decisions and a hell of a lot of dropped plot threads. If you like complex JRPG systems and you're the type to be stricken by wanderlust in games, it's definitely worth $40.

jonjonaug

So Nintendo is offering me 30% off the game this month due to it being my birthday. Is this game worth 40 dollars?

Very much yes, it's one of the best games of 2015 and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Undertale and TitS:SC for excellent RPGs that came out that yeah.

Celegus

It's painful but the level 50 Amdusias is seriously worth it. It's a huge upgrade over any of the level 30 Skells.

I spent some time farming and picked up a level 50 Phoenix, G Buster and a few other goodies last night. Amdusias is doing some big damage now.

Yep, that did the trick for me. I tried one of the post game missions and got annihilated though, so it looks like it's back to the grind. Endgame question:
Is there more story stuff anywhere? Please don't tell me the whole "but how are we still alive" question doesn't go unanswered. I tried Elma's level 58 mission in the barracks but got eaten by those two level 80 wolves. Is that the only "story" mission that unlocked or is there more somewhere? I don't really care about killing every monster but I at least want to see the story through.

It turns out I was hunting in the wrong spot for the collectable you need for the Definian Downfall quest. I'd been running around in that cave for HOURS. Now collectibles in Noctilum straight up give me cash half the time.

Oh well. At least now I completed the collectipedia for Noctilum.

Very much yes, it's one of the best games of 2015 and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Undertale and TitS:SC for excellent RPGs that came out that yeah.
I'm a little nervous of googling the second acronym. What's it short for?

And to join the conversation, yes, this game is wonderful. On a dollar per hour of enjoyment basis, it's a bargain at twice the price. Just be prepared to be overwhelmed when you start out and don't be scared to ask questions.

Golnei

Yep, that did the trick for me. I tried one of the post game missions and got annihilated though, so it looks like it's back to the grind. Endgame question:
Is there more story stuff anywhere? Please don't tell me the whole "but how are we still alive" question doesn't go unanswered. I tried Elma's level 58 mission in the barracks but got eaten by those two level 80 wolves. Is that the only "story" mission that unlocked or is there more somewhere? I don't really care about killing every monster but I at least want to see the story through.

That's
left as a loose end, along with most of the other unanswered questions raised in the ending. Some postgame sidequests do contextualise those plot points a little, but there's no more movement for the main story. Though as far as general stuff goes, Murderess, L and Lin do have self contained postgame affinity missions, if you haven't done them already.

jonjonaug

I'm a little nervous of googling the second acronym. What's it short for?

Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter. The game actually came out in Japan a decade ago, with the English translation finally coming out last year.

There's a ton of meaty side content, but with regards to the main plot it depends on what you consider "story". There's a lot of lore dropping and implications if you take the time to talk to people around town and do the remaining sidequests, and some of the sidequests continue plot threads for secondary characters in the main plot. But that ending is pretty much all you're gonna get regarding the status of the Mims.

matmanx1

Just saw the credits. Okay, wow. That's just as much of a woah moment as it was in the original Xenoblade.

Now to get myself an Ares 90.

Yeah I need to go ahead and finish the story so I can do some of the postgame stuff. I was holding off until I had the good level 50 Skell and the best weapons but I am pretty much at that point right now. Time to see that ending!

Yeah I need to go ahead and finish the story so I can do some of the postgame stuff. I was holding off until I had the good level 50 Skell and the best weapons but I am pretty much at that point right now. Time to see that ending!
I was hilariously overpowered for those fights. I found the blueprints somewhere for a level 50 superweapon (Detonation Flail) and crafted it. During the whole of Chapter 12, I one-shotted everything except
_________the fight where you're forced to fight on foot_______________.
. The thing has area damage and hits with the force of three or four level 50 G-busters all at once.

The crazy thing is that this weapon barely tickles some of the tyrants that are out there. Several times now, I've one-shotted level 60—70 tyrants only to open a fight with the same weapon later on, see it take off 1% of HP (or miss entirely), then run away screaming before the thing wrecks my skell. The people who say that the credits are the start of the *real* game aren't kidding.

Just started a new playthrough, and was streaming it. Holy crap I forgot how increeeedibly limited you are at the beginning of the game. X_x

Just started a new playthrough, and was streaming it. Holy crap I forgot how increeeedibly limited you are at the beginning of the game. X_x
Are you going to attempt the half hour swim to Cauldros to plant the three (?) miranium probes you can access right away? There's two in the north and one in the east that have very low level (<10) enemies around them, if I remember correctly. You may have to do some sneaking, but it should be doable.

Having seen the ending, I wonder if the (endgame spoilers)
Lifehold core was there the whole time and
is accessible somehow.

Vena

Are you going to attempt the half hour swim to Cauldros to plant the three (?) miranium probes you can access right away? There's two in the north and one in the east that have very low level (<10) enemies around them, if I remember correctly. You may have to do some sneaking, but it should be doable.

Having seen the ending, I wonder if the (endgame spoilers)
Lifehold core was there the whole time and
is accessible somehow.

No. Its
underwater and you can't even see it.

Htown

. . .

What was that story ending? I have at LEAST as many questions about what is going on right now as I did at any point in the game.

Are... are they just going to gloss over all that stuff after the credits and just be like, "well, here's some more missions, keep playing!" I mean some more affinity missions opened up at least, so maybe they bring it up?

I sure hope so, because that stuff that happened would kind of be a HUGE FUCKING DEAL.

Also, I would be real bummed out if we never got a sequel and so that just kind of ended the franchise on that note.

. . .

What was that story ending? I have at LEAST as many questions about what is going on right now as I did at any point in the game.

Are... are they just going to gloss over all that stuff after the credits and just be like, "well, here's some more missions, keep playing!" I mean some more affinity missions opened up at least, so maybe they bring it up?

I sure hope so, because that stuff that happened would kind of be a HUGE FUCKING DEAL.

Also, I would be real bummed out if we never got a sequel and so that just kind of ended the franchise on that note.
I know, right? I have had a day to mull it over and I'm still not sure if their mimeosomes were supposed to be remotely controlled by the Lifehold database or if the mimeosomes had been flashed with their memories at some point and were autonomous.

Elma's scene in the post credits sequence says no, but if not, what the heck is going on?

It makes me wonder if there isn't more to the references to the original Xenoblade Chronicles than just winks and nods.

Celegus

. . .

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It doesn't appear that that's the case so much though, which is a huge bummer. I don't have it in me to grind that much just to kill bigger things, so I'm probably done with the game. Pretty disappointing overall compared to the first Xenoblade, but at least the world was gorgeous and fun to explore. The story and a lot of the needlessly complex systems... not so much.

matmanx1

You guys are making me want to see what all the fuss is about over the ending. I went to do the Chapter 11 mission last night and discovered I hadn't done one of the pre-requisite missions yet (Boot Camp) so I went ahead and cleared that one. Tonight I should be able to finish the Chapter 11 story mission.

Top Bottom