• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

After receiving this game for Christmas, I finally fired it up this weekend and have put about 6 hours in. There are many things I love about the game and a number that I still do not comprehend.

I have beaten chapter 3 and have been running around completing sidequests for a bit. I'd like to start Elma's affinity quest, but haven't levelled affinity up to one heart yet. Is this normal? How can I raise my affinities at this point of the game? I completely ignored affinity in the previous XC game, but this seems like a significant amount of content!

Also, the lack of dedicated healing is bizarre to me at this point. I know that responding to your teammates in battle can have healing properties, but it is minimal. My tank (Lin) is just taking too much damage to keep up with. Any tips for this? Elma and I are level 12 and Lin is 11. To that end, I would appreciate any tips on combat.

I have beaten chapter 3 and have been running around completing sidequests for a bit. I'd like to start Elma's affinity quest, but haven't levelled affinity up to one heart yet. Is this normal? How can I raise my affinities at this point of the game? I completely ignored affinity in the previous XC game, but this seems like a significant amount of content!

Trigger their Soul Voices and have them in your party when you finish quests are the two main ways in the main game. You can also raise affinity by answering questions in certain ways, but I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, the lack of dedicated healing is bizarre to me at this point. I know that responding to your teammates in battle can have healing properties, but it is minimal. My tank (Lin) is just taking too much damage to keep up with. Any tips for this? Elma and I are level 12 and Lin is 11. To that end, I would appreciate any tips on combat.

Pretty much the main way to heal is to trigger their Soul Voices and being successful with the B button prompts. You can also use the consumable items you get from the Division Rewards. Some Arts also provide some minimal regen/healing.

Basically you still want to make use of Toppling enemies to make the most damage. Paying attention to how to trigger your skills' bonus damage/effects is also key, with respect to positioning and combos.

Recall

I need to get 15% surveyed for chapter 4.

What do the symbols mean in the hexagonal segments of the map?

I know the tripod looking thing is for the probes, but some have a picture of a document or holding hands, what do they mean? Cheers

Currently sat at 8% and it is scary to venture too far but I think I have no choice but to.

I need to get 15% surveyed for chapter 4.

What do the symbols mean in the hexagonal segments of the map?

I know the tripod looking thing is for the probes, but some have a picture of a document or holding hands, what do they mean? Cheers

Currently sat at 8% and it is scary to venture too far but I think I have no choice but to.
The paper icon just means that that segment will be your destination during a Normal Mission. The hands means the same, except for an Affinity Mission. What I did when playing the game was to go and install as many probes as you can in the continent you're in. It's exhilarating traveling that far and sneaking past enemies. Sometimes a higher level enemy might be guarding a probe location, and I get a huge sense of accomplishment if I successfully creep up behind him and plant a probe.

flyover

What I did when playing the game was to go and install as many probes as you can in the continent you're in. It's exhilarating traveling that far and sneaking past enemies. Sometimes a higher level enemy might be guarding a probe location, and I get a huge sense of accomplishment if I successfully creep up behind him and plant a probe.
This was my favorite part of the entire game. I enjoyed it all, but underleveled probe hunting was the best.

The paper icon just means that that segment will be your destination during a Normal Mission. The hands means the same, except for an Affinity Mission. What I did when playing the game was to go and install as many probes as you can in the continent you're in. It's exhilarating traveling that far and sneaking past enemies. Sometimes a higher level enemy might be guarding a probe location, and I get a huge sense of accomplishment if I successfully creep up behind him and plant a probe.

And then after going through all of that you get a "field level not sufficient" message.

matmanx1

This was my favorite part of the entire game. I enjoyed it all, but underleveled probe hunting was the best.

This is truth.

Also, I hit 131k in probe revenue last night by just placing one more research probe and a duplicator probe in Cauldros. Tobias can wipe that smug grin off his face now!

Time to finally do the Chapter 10 story mission. =P

Recall

Probe hunting is pointless without mechanical level 3.

I'm on chapter 4 and I really wish there were items that made the map more detailed or gave you more precise info.

The new area is maze like.

Seriously, I don't swear often, but fuck this piece of shit game. Not being able to change party members after accepting an affinity quest? Not being able to abandon an afinity quest I am way underpowered for? But I prevailed. But I played for 8 hours and moved onto chapter 4 and didn't know that absolutely nothing autosaves. Too used to every other modern piece of hardware resuming where you left off, forgot Wii U can't do that either and powered off.

Fuck off, you RNG waste of time.

Recall

Is there any purpose in doing affinity quests?

I've just read up on what Lin's quest, The Repair Job entails and it is possible you can be stuck for hours if you don't have the right probes set up and then waiting for the parts to be available from those probes takes even longer.

I've just read up on what Lin's quest, The Repair Job entails and it is possible you can be stuck for hours if you don't have the right probes set up and then waiting for the parts to be available from those probes takes even longer.
Some of them are required to progress through the story, and others reward you with unique Arts. Other than that, they do a decent job at fleshing out characters further. Xenoblade is really weird in that you get as much from the game from side quests as you do from the main story. The game tries to encourage you to do Affinity quests, but that makes it seem like a chore to most players, like a busy quest before they can get to the main quest. The game almost seems to go out of its way to inconvenience you, though, when handling these quests.

Ulysses 31

Seriously, I don't swear often, but fuck this piece of shit game. Not being able to change party members after accepting an affinity quest? Not being able to abandon an afinity quest I am way underpowered for? But I prevailed. But I played for 8 hours and moved onto chapter 4 and didn't know that absolutely nothing autosaves. Too used to every other modern piece of hardware resuming where you left off, forgot Wii U can't do that either and powered off.

Fuck off, you RNG waste of time.

There's a recommended level and no party member(s) switch warning before accepting the quest.

It's all on you if you bite off more than you can chew.

Look at your inventory and see if you're close on any materials. I managed to have the white cometite already when I did the quest. Of the other two items, the AiR radiators in Oblivia are easy to find and the energy tubes can be purchased using reward tickets (the route I went).

To me, the affinity quests are essential while the other missions are things I'll do if it's convenient. Most of the characters are worth meeting at the very least. Phog is one of my faves. Excellent dude.

matmanx1

Look at your inventory and see if you're close on any materials. I managed to have the white cometite already when I did the quest. Of the other two items, the AiR radiators in Oblivia are easy to find and the energy tubes can be purchased using reward tickets (the route I went).

To me, the affinity quests are essential while the other missions are things I'll do if it's convenient. Most of the characters are worth meeting at the very least. Phog is one of my faves. Excellent dude.

I really lucked out on that quest. When I accepted it, I had all of the items already in my inventory just from normal game play. I am finding my "explore first, do everything else later" method of playing XCX is a good way to go.

Recall

I really lucked out on that quest. When I accepted it, I had all of the items already in my inventory just from normal game play. I am finding my "explore first, do everything else later" method of playing XCX is a good way to go.

The level requirement is 13 for The Repair Job affinity request.

I'm level 18. I've been nowhere near Oblivia having only just done chapter 4. Is it worth doing this affinity quest later on in hopes I comes across the items later on?

The level requirement is 13 for The Repair Job affinity request.

I'm level 18. I've been nowhere near Oblivia having only just done chapter 4. Is it worth doing this affinity quest later on in hopes I comes across the items later on?

Regarding Oblivia, I had one very superficial trip there under my belt when I accepted the quest, but already 2/4 of the item. After porting back, the remaining 2 were in the first 4 diamonds I picked up. They are in the entryway to the continent.

You may as well just check in on your white cometite count every couple of levels. There's no real detriment to putting the mission off as far as I can tell.

Say does anyone know if there's a way to acquire specific kinds of probes? I have progressed to around Chapter 7, and have planted probes at just about every location (aside from Cauldros) that I can access with L 4 Mechanical and without a Skell. So far, the game has given me mining probes out the wazoo, but I am really lacking in Research and Storage probes.

Is it random when you get a probe for doing a field activity or is there a way to jigger with the system?

Pokemaniac

Say does anyone know if there's a way to acquire specific kinds of probes? I have progressed to around Chapter 7, and have planted probes at just about every location (aside from Cauldros) that I can access with L 4 Mechanical and without a Skell. So far, the game has given me mining probes out the wazoo, but I am really lacking in Research and Storage probes.

Is it random when you get a probe for doing a field activity or is there a way to jigger with the system?

I don't think it's random at all. There are just way more mining probes than the other types.

Pokemaniac

Thanks for answering my question.

Could you please also let me know how to get my Mechanical field skill level to 5? No spoilers, but can I unlock it by normal means or is that part of a story mission?

Each of the field skills has a Basic Mission titled "Off the Record" for upgrading them to level 5. These begin to appear at the terminal once the corresponding skill gets to level 4.

Each of the field skills has a Basic Mission titled "Off the Record" for upgrading them to level 5. These begin to appear at the terminal once the corresponding skill gets to level 4.
That cryptic nonsense? I ignored it because one of the clues seems to imply that I need a skell. Alright, looks like I'll need to consult a guide for that mission.

This may be a stupid question. I'm working on heart to hearts and if I see a check on the map without the heart to heart icon behind it what does that mean?

When I click on the map it says there is a heart to heart.

This may be a stupid question. I'm working on heart to hearts and if I see a check on the map without the heart to heart icon behind it what does that mean?

When I click on the map it says there is a heart to heart.

I think that only means that you've acknowledged the information on the map. The shield means that you've completed the quest.

It's a little dumb, but I can see the logic.

Vic_Viper

Just started the game up again after taking a long break from it.

Need help with a couple things that I have completely forgotten.

Im Level 31 and have maxed my Class all the way up to Duelist. What is the next path I should take for the optimal skills that work well with my Duelist abilities?
Is it smart to switch to another class now to get their abilites or should I wait and do it after finishing the game?

Also what is a good way to get lots of money fast? Is there an optimal place to grind for money that people have found since the game has been out for awhile now?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just started the game up again after taking a long break from it.

Need help with a couple things that I have completely forgotten.

Im Level 31 and have maxed my Class all the way up to Duelist. What is the next path I should take for the optimal skills that work well with my Duelist abilities?
Is it smart to switch to another class now to get their abilites or should I wait and do it after finishing the game?

Also what is a good way to get lots of money fast? Is there an optimal place to grind for money that people have found since the game has been out for awhile now?

If you've maxed duelist then it's time to swap out to another class. You can keep your current weapons and abilities while you level it as well. Most people just do long sword/dual guns since it has an incredibly broken infinite overdrive build.

If you've maxed duelist then it's time to swap out to another class. You can keep your current weapons and abilities while you level it as well. Most people just do long sword/dual guns since it has an incredibly broken infinite overdrive build.
You had my interest, but now you have my attention. I have never gotten overdrive to trigger yet.

Could you be on the wrong level? The Administrative District is pretty bad about letting you know what level a mission is on. Maybe you need to use an elevator.

I'm not. I'll check again if I play tonight. I'm pretty sure it's the 1st Murderess heart to heart. There is just a check mark there and no icon behind it in the residential area. Maybe I am on the wrong level? Is there a level underneath?

I'm not. I'll check again if I play tonight. I'm pretty sure it's the 1st Murderess heart to heart. There is just a check mark there and no icon behind it in the residential area. Maybe I am on the wrong level? Is there a level underneath?
There's the skell hangar underneath. The lift to get down there is right nearby.

Thing is, I think I have seen that heart to heart and I have no idea now where I found it.

Recall

You had my interest, but now you have my attention. I have never gotten overdrive to trigger yet.

You don't unlock Overdrive until you clear chapter 5, and then when you reach 3000 TP in battle you just simply select the auto attack option that is blue in the middle. It displays a picture of a gear if it's ready and then it's time to unleash all your arts!

kunonabi

So does anyone else get kicked offline constantly? I'm playing the Japanese version and I keep getting disconnected.

Also the boss of Definian Downfall can go to hell.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So does anyone else get kicked offline constantly? I'm playing the Japanese version and I keep getting disconnected.

Also the boss of Definian Downfall can go to hell.

Gotta use overdrive or whatever it's called to beat it. If you don't know how to use it you won't win that fight.

kunonabi

Gotta use overdrive or whatever it's called to beat it. If you don't know how to use it you won't win that fight.

I ended up scouting some lvl 60 BLADE and beat him. I've read up on overdrive several times and times I still don't really get it. Not that it mattered since he kept knocking me out of it anyway.

I've done all the pre chapter 12 affinity missions so it looks like I'm just about ready to finish up the main story. I think I'll do the last Mia mission first though.

So I decided to try this Joker farming thing out, and I was led to believe that all I really needed was a Level 50 Amdusias Skell with Phoenix and G-Buster. I dropped down into the flower and let loose a Phoenix...and nothing died. Joker barely took any damage, and the mob around him had 50% HP left. I got wrecked pretty quickly after that. Am I missing something? Should I be forging Accuracy or Insectoid Slayer Augments?

Pokemaniac

So I decided to try this Joker farming thing out, and I was led to believe that all I really needed was a Level 50 Amdusias Skell with Phoenix and G-Buster. I dropped down into the flower and let loose a Phoenix...and nothing died. Joker barely took any damage, and the mob around him had 50% HP left. I got wrecked pretty quickly after that. Am I missing something? Should I be forging Accuracy or Insectoid Slayer Augments?

With a level 50 skell, Insectoid Slayer is probably a good idea.

I forget if I needed accuracy ones or not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Were they in the radius of the Phoenix?

flyover

With a level 50 skell, Insectoid Slayer is probably a good idea.

I forget if I needed accuracy ones or not.

Yeah, this is a good idea. Also, don't know if this could have anything to do with it, but make sure you've got the higher-level Phoenix and G-Buster, not the level 30 versions. You can get them from the Puges at Badr Basin (in Sylvalum near site 406).

I think you should be able to wipe out Joker's buddies with Phoenix*. But Joker itself can be tough to hit, once its hit points are depleted some.

* - Not positive about this, since I can't remember if I fought Joker before or after I got
Alexa's Level 60 skell for completing her Affinity missions
. (Spoiler refers to affinity missions, and not the main story. Just hid it in case people don't want to know a particular item you can get for doing a particular character's missions.)

Were they in the radius of the Phoenix?
I think so. I just dropped into the middle of the flower where I saw the mob in a circle around the Joker. I also have the Intergalactic version of Phoenix. Does Insectoid Slayer only apply to the art of the weapon it's attached to? I'm leaning toward no, but I'd like confirmation.

alvis.exe

I think so. I just dropped into the middle of the flower where I saw the mob in a circle around the Joker. I also have the Intergalactic version of Phoenix. Does Insectoid Slayer only apply to the art of the weapon it's attached to? I'm leaning toward no, but I'd like confirmation.

Nope. Just stick them into any open slots you have and enjoy your super fast grinding. They're super easy to craft too which is really nice. IIRC the only augments that apply only to the specific weapon they're attached to are the "Custom.WP" ones.

Vic_Viper

I cannot figure out how to get this affinity mission to start before chapter 8. Forget what it's called, but it requires Lao to have 1 heart and everyone be level like 28. I have Lao at 2 hearts and everyone is over level 30. The mission giver icon won't spawn. Anyone know what I need to do? I think its called matchmaker.

kunonabi

Is there some sort of glitch with the Until the End normal mission? I can pick up the bracelet but it won't let me give it to Ge Jewhe and I can't get the route A ending.

I cannot figure out how to get this affinity mission to start before chapter 8. Forget what it's called, but it requires Lao to have 1 heart and everyone be level like 28. I have Lao at 2 hearts and everyone is over level 30. The mission giver icon won't spawn. Anyone know what I need to do? I think its called matchmaker.
You can't see the icon at all? Just so I'm following you corerectly, you're looking for the orange Affinity Mission icon near Barista Court?

Is there some sort of glitch with the Until the End normal mission? I can pick up the bracelet but it won't let me give it to Ge Jewhe and I can't get the route A ending.
Hmm, I'm not familiar with any glitch. Just to be clear, you picked up the bracelet before talking to her in person for the first time?

Vic_Viper

You can't see the icon at all? Just so I'm following you corerectly, you're looking for the orange Affinity Mission icon near Barista Court?

Yea there's no mission Icon at all. Is there a way to check which missions I've completed already to see if maybe I've already done it. When I try to start Chapter 8 it says I need to do the Matchmaker mission and survey 10% of Mira. I've just reached the northern most land mass recently and done alil exploring.

On a side note how do I get the ability to fly in my mech? And when is a good time to get ones for my party and how do I go about getting a ton of money to do so? It feels like I'm always running out.

alvis.exe

Yea there's no mission Icon at all. Is there a way to check which missions I've completed already to see if maybe I've already done it. When I try to start Chapter 8 it says I need to do the Matchmaker mission and survey 10% of Mira. I've just reached the northern most land mass recently and done alil exploring.

On a side note how do I get the ability to fly in my mech? And when is a good time to get ones for my party and how do I go about getting a ton of money to do so? It feels like I'm always running out.

It should be in the Missions section of the menu. You may need to change the filter to display all. As for the other requirement, you can check your survey completion percentage on the GamePad screen (on the screen that brings up the map of all 5 continents for Fast Travel selection).

For the flight module, you need to complete the affinity mission "A Girl's Wings" which unlocks after Chapter 9 IIRC. Making money is chiefly done by setting up Research probes, especially at sites with sightseeing spots (which you need to find first to unlock). This should be done in conjunction with the usual strategies of linking probes and using Duplicator/Booster probes to max effect. There should be tons of guides available online with suggested set-ups if you don't want to figure that stuff out on your own. Don't forget to go through your inventory and sell all your unneeded gear!

Top Bottom