• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Chris R

Could someone who completed the game without having it freeze in Dolphin PM me or post the settings they used? If this game freezes one more time I'm going to just switch to my Wii to start over :| (would be a pain to restart since I'm 25 hours in).

Cross posting this from another forum, does anyone know if The Brave Protectors achievement is bugged?

Feels bad man :(
Same for me. I've logged in more than 160 hours on my playthrough and I'm now at the very end of the post-game content. Except for a few insane achievements that are way too tedious and time consuming, I've done every goddamn thing in this game except this achievement(trial). I've talked to every soldier so many times that I've given up on it, I'm pretty sure that there's a glitch or that I've missed a crucial affinity link that I can't create now.

MrDaravon

Same for me. I've logged in more than 160 hours on my playthrough and I'm now at the very end of the post-game content. Except for a few insane achievements that are way too tedious and time consuming, I've done every goddamn thing in this game except this achievement(trial). I've talked to every soldier so many times that I've given up on it, I'm pretty sure that there's a glitch or that I've missed a crucial affinity link that I can't create now.

Someone else on Gamefaqs posted the same advice Mister posted (that people have different dialogues at very specific times). I'll probably finish the story tonight, and I'll give that a go this weekend and I'll post back with results either way.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
BTW, you can export your Dolphin save to your Wii. It's what I did to buy 75% Debuff Resist gems, since I always overheat them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think these are the settings I used, looks right. I used LLE audio when I wasn't recording anything since it prevents the audio from distorting, even with the patch I was still getting it with HLE occasionally. But I couldn't record while using LLE since Windows has no idea how to use CPU resources effectively.

Edit: And unchecking lock threads to cores might be better, I don't remember.

Chris R

I'll compare those settings when I get home, also don't know why I haven't tried to just dump and use DSP LLE.

Just trying to continue playing it on my PC so I can use my monitor instead of needing to use my TV screen since my monitor doesn't have component in :(

MrDaravon

Bit of an update on my Brave Protectors issue, still stuck. On all of the following people:

Arnaut
Dorothy
Emmy Leater
Miler
Raoul
Kantz
Monica
Minnie
Nic
Andreas
Jan

I talked to them on the hour every single hour they are available, making sure to include as they were walking to and from their locations; this did trigger one or two things I was missing, however no achievement. I also looked what is supposedly a 100% affinity chart picture, and mine looks exactly identical (excluding the strength of a couple of connections that are clearly quest decisions). As mentioned before Nic is already in Colony 6, but I already did all of the quests related to him there (with Rosemary and Nic's master) and chose him for Rosemary, so his connections with Rosemary and Nopo'rikh are maxed and I've also got the connection with Theo; neither the wiki or the affinity chart shows any more or better connections for Nic.

Now something else interesting though is that according to the wiki, Shura and Arnaut can have a connection. This is not reflected on the supposedly complete affinity chart I looked it. But to complicate this, since I'm in the late game Shura has moved to another locations that's high-level; I managed to stealth my way there (I'm level 81 right now) but she offers a series of quests that I have noooooo way of completing until I'm basically max level, and if I try to talk to her she just gives me dialogue related to her quest. So I can't readily just spam her like I did everyone else to confirm/deny if there IS a connection with Arnaut or not.

So at this point I figure these are the possibilities:

-You DO have to do this before Nic migrates to Colony 6;
-Shura and Arnaut DO have an affinity connection (can someone confirm this for me?);
-It's glitchy;
-Illuminati conspiracy.

I'm open to any other ideas as well, but for now I'll just keep on playing until I can do the stuff for Shura to wipe out the quest dialogue to see if any of that changes, unless someone can confirm that she doesn't have a connection with Arnaut. And if that's the case I think I'm boned unless there is something completely off the wall that affects this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Arnaut isn't a member of the defense force, so I wouldn't imagine that would count. But I don't have a connection between him and Shura on the file that I have Brave Protectors unlocked.

And you could do that quest at 81 if you're set up right, you'll need colony 6 nature completely done and trade for some NV gems from Scarlen (5* affinity required).

MrDaravon

Well I think it's broken then, if there's no Arnaut/Shura connection I have Colony 9 completely maxed out on everything with the only exception of I haven't completed the Friendship Tokens quest since I need to gain about 10 more levels to do that. But I can't see that having any connection to anything. Only other thing I can think of is that since Nic is in C6 now I have to for some reason max C6 out? That doesn't really make any sense either though.

Edit: Yup, someone else told me that they have the achievement with no Shura/Arnaut connection. Nothing makes sense here; the only options are either the achievement is glitchy, you DO have to do it before Nic migrates (or maybe before the events at the
Core?
), or there is something else somehow affecting this but I can't see what that would possibly be. Spending the vast majority of my last 3 play sessions trying to figure this out has completely killed my desire to wrap up the last of the sidequests, as well as dreading the ridiculous 500 revives achievement so I think that's about it for me.

Spending the vast majority of my last 3 play sessions trying to figure this out has completely killed my desire to wrap up the last of the sidequests, as well as dreading the ridiculous 500 revives achievement so I think that's about it for me.
Same thing happened to me, after having had three gos at the achievement I just said fuck it and decided that those repetetive achievements wouldn't be worth striving for either. A game should be fun to play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Several of the achievements in this game aren't really very fun to do anyway. Even if it's not 100%ing the game, I think filling the affinity charge, doing all possible quests, viewing the heart to hearts, and tackling the strongest monsters is close enough.

Then again, I don't find achievements/trophies all that fun anyway usually.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Have fun with the Happy New Year achievemnt. Luckily it's in Records, so its progress carries between playthroughs.

I think I got enough megaheated VI gems of everything, and got the H2H Plans and Hopes, which somehow escaped me (I think the SOB didn't show up on the map until I got close to it, unlike all the other h2hs).

BTW, found another reviving glitch: dying from terrain (not fall) damage, but then getting laucnhed itno the air during the death sequence, revives you even outside of battle and without a single party bar.

maguskain

Random observation:

For whatever reason, I rushed through Valak Mountain the first time through. I think its because ice levels annoy me. Now I've come back to do some quests and I must say that the area music is in my top 3. It must have been an acquired taste.

Celegus

Random observation:

For whatever reason, I rushed through Valak Mountain the first time through. I think its because ice levels annoy me. Now I've come back to do some quests and I must say that the area music is in my top 3. It must have been an acquired taste.

The music also changes from daytime to night, so maybe you just busted through during the day and now are hearing the night music (or vice versa). I do love the music on Valak Mountain though, the piano especially reminded me of the Phendrana Drifts music from Metroid Prime (always a good thing).

My party finally hit the 70s last night, and man does it feel good to go back to the beginning areas and take out those high level monsters I always had to avoid. In your face, Bionis Leg Monkeys!

Deku Tree

I have been playing Xenoblade for more than a month now (not that much time to play each day). I am over 40+ hours into the game. I am at level 53.

But MH3U is coming in the mail in a few days. I want to start playing MH3U but I don't want to stop playing Xenoblade.

Not sure what I should do... don't have enough time to regularly play both...

Celegus

I have been playing Xenoblade for more than a month now (not that much time to play each day). I am over 40+ hours into the game. I am at level 53.

But MH3U is coming in the mail in a few days. I want to start playing MH3U but I don't want to stop playing Xenoblade.

That's easy, do what I did... 5 hours of sleep a night is plenty!

It's time to pull some all-nighters.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

I hear you, I've only been playing 2-3 hours a night, which is maddening sometimes. I've been sort of planning out what I'm going to do beforehand since I've stopped progressing the story for a bit to do sidequests (mainly the timed ones). It's pretty lame.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Well, that's easy. Rush until a point where Xenoblade gets so awesome you can't help but just keep playing it.

I mean, you don't need to play MH3U from the very release date. You didn't with Xenoblade by a long shot, and look at how you're enjoying it anyway.

Deku Tree

Well, that's easy. Rush until a point where Xenoblade gets so awesome you can't help but just keep playing it.

I mean, you don't need to play MH3U from the very release date. You didn't with Xenoblade by a long shot, and look at how you're enjoying it anyway.

The difference is that the MH3U online community will be better in the beginning. Xenoblade is entirely offline.

But Xenoblade is awesome from the beginning. ;)

I do agree with this. I like to wait at least ~6 months after a game is released, because a lot of the time there will be a price drop. Most of the time I'll wait over a year, though. I'm cheap.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
For NG+, I can't decide if I want Lucky to wear an H Attack set with H Speed googles, or simply a V Speed set with Z speed googles.

One thing's for sure... our Agi tank's gonna do his intro in full Ledios and Lazard, because Hierax glitches quite badly while swings with his right, and the Monado Spear looks hylaRious.

If only there was some endgame light armour thaIiiiiiiit starred more tha a single colour on Medic...

JaseMath

So I'm trying to collect
all the Monado replicas
, but there seems to be a 12-15 level gap between the
end-game scenario with Zanza
and most of the bigger sidequests (
Tephra cave, the Valak giant door, etc.
) My party is all between 85-86, but some enemy packs are still too much for me. Do I really have to start grinding or am I missing some side quests that'll help alleviate the grind? (
ie. The short sidequest with Tyrea
)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, you can get gems so you can fight enemies that much higher level than you, or you can grind out the difference.

If you have Colony 6 Nature done you can megaheat Agility V and Agility Down V crystals found in the Ether Mines. Scarlen has Night Vision V gems you can trade for if you have Upper Bionis at 5 star affinity. With those gems you should be able to set yourself up to beat higher level enemies (and get even more good gems and make things even easier, and probably level up in the process too).

meow

Hello! Could anyone point me to where I could find some Xenoblade wallpapers like the ones in this other thread that show the progression of the title screen except larger/higher res? And preferably without the "Press Any Button"...

Thanks...otherwise I think I will just end up screencapping a yt video of the title screen at various points. :)

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Keep in mind that some of the Made in China quests are effectively designed for endgame, what with the last item needed being dropped only by a one-time Lv99 and the very ultimate superboss.
In any case, since most of them are the common wooden chest drop, as long as your no more than 10 levels below them, landing an item-stealing Yoink on them should get you the item too.

If you're looking for endgame quests, you should pay a visit to all the NPCs with a new residence, specially the girl from the love triangle on the statues and the new astronomer on Frontier Village's entrance.

When you feel confident enough to face Lv90+, go see that archeologist in Tephra Cave (there's a passage near the first uber spider pods). Dullan has more than one too, so pay him a visit on the leg once you finish his first one.

In case you'd never find out by yourself, Nopon Sage will have some quests too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what is the best "wrecking crew" party to walk around with IYO?

A party without Sharla.

I tend to favor Shulk, Dunban, and 7th though. Shulk is just broken, Dunban dodges everything, and he and 7th deal great damage without needing to baby them (unlike Melia, who needs to be player controlled to be of any use).

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Yeah, Shulk-Dunban-7th is the most wrecking party, though Reyn can cause a bigger mess in short chain attacks.

But then there's the DoT 1HK chain trio too, and I don't even

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Or in long chain attacks. Get one that goes three rounds with the right characters and you can get Magnum Charge + Sword Drive in without breaking the multiplier. I never pulled it off, but I think I did something like 800k damage with it as the 4th link in the chain.

Magnum Charge would be a lot better if it just had a really long cooldown and didn't require the talent gauge to be full. Because stupid Reyn will always use Mad Taunt as soon as possible when the AI controls him so Magnum Charge never gets used, even in chain attacks.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Yeah, I said short chain attacks because, apart from Sword Dive, he does not have as many damaging arts as the rest.

But yeah, if pulled right, a Magnum Charged Sword Dive is devastating. I used to track what AI Reyn was doing so that I would start the chain when I felt his talent gauge was full (it's not that hard), but I still haven't tried to trully max it. I guess I'd need Melia and Dunban on the party too, with three Flare elementals and Peerless (You can take advantage of Elemental Discharge and make the first round orange), all three equipped with Phys Def Down, and after Worldy Slash and that first Elemental Burst AoE art's effects. And the battle-start bonuses' skill links.

Gems on Reyn's shieldlance would therefore be Attaack Plus (not counting the max dmg bug, it's better if you forget it exists), Topple Up and Phys Def Down.

Don't Dazed enemeis take more damage on critical hits, or did I just pull that up?

Deku Tree

It was so obvious who 7th was going to be... so far I haven't experienced an unpredictable plot twist in Xenoblade other than what happened after the first few hours... with 7th dying I mean.

JulianImp

It was so obvious who 7th was going to be... so far I haven't experienced an unpredictable plot twist in Xenoblade other than what happened after the first few hours... with 7th dying I mean.

I'd say you should keep both spoilers separate, to avoid giving anything away.
It's fairly easy to guess who 7th is simply based on what you said about the character dying in the first few hours as an unexpected twist.

But yeah, the plot tends to be predictable.
Despite not paying attention at first, I quickly realized metal face was Dunban's former ally
, and
it was obvious who was being fit inside that white face, with the plot having but a single relevant female character that would actually warrant being the focus of the scene rather than the face-creating process itself
. However, that's just the tip of the iceberg...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've only seen the base critical damage, and honestly I don't even remember what that was (25% extra damage?). Never saw anything about dazed enemies taking extra damage.

Ok aaaaaalmost done with this game. All that is left is Avalanche Abaasy!

Just did one blind test battle to figure out what I was up against(did the same with the other superbosses), and he wiped out my entire team in seconds. So he got some instant death trick, wether it's from an aura, spike or art, am I right? If so, the only way to counter is with either Debuff Resists, Spike Defence or using Purge/Mind Blast/Behave?

I'm planning to use: Shulk(PC), Seven and Dunban.

Dunban as the usual Agility Tank

Seven as my damage-dealing power house and toppler, setting up her equipment and skills to keep high tension and agility.

Shulk's role is to counter/minimize damage(monado spam)/control battle flow.

Now I have all gems perfectly set up for Seven and Dunban assuming debuff resists takes fully care of the instant death trick, but I have so many weapon gems I wanna use for Shulk...

Talent Boost VI
Double Attack VI
Back Attack Plus VI
Night Vision VI
Topple Plus VI

Even more annoying is that I have plenty of left over slots in the euipment -_-
I know that if his role isn't to deal damage the obvious would be to ditch Double Attack and Back Attack. I'm very weary of not using night vision as I hate getting low tension(ruins all strategy). Talent Boost to make spamming of monado easier. I have skill links to all double attacks turning into crits which is perhaps stupid? Basically my problem is that I want to have the cake(control the battle) and have my bite(deal some damage as well) as well.

Any advice?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you have glory gauntlets for haste, I'd go with double attack, back attack, and night vision. Especially if you have the fifth skill tree maxed which would make talent boost almost completely redundant.

Lots of ifs though, but that would be part of my set up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was on my phone and couldn't really get into any details on that.

But double attack + haste will already fill the talent gauge pretty fast, and visions are going to give you a full talent gauge anyway so those are practically a non-issue. You shouldn't have much trouble keeping Armor up while also managing visions.

And there are alternatives to night vision (particularly agility down) but since you already have night vision you might as well go with that, especially since you already have the other two characters set up and that would require changing them. Specifically Dunban, to get the initial agility down affect in.

And back attack is just nice for the extra damage. Topple plus is alright, but you're most likely going to struggle to topple lock him anyway since he has 50% topple time resistance and is totally immune to daze. With Monado arts you don't really need to topple him at all, you can easily keep Dunban alive just using those and the occasional light heal.

One last thing, all doubles critical is not a bad skill to pass around, especially if you have the coins to use critical drain for healing. With that combo, 7th and Shulk should never need any normal healing during the fight. It's pretty expensive though (120 coins combined, or something). Worth it though, in my opinion. Using that and a very similar set up to what you're doing, I beat Abaasy at 55 with no chains or topples, so you should be good to go at level 95+!

Kenka

Is there any reliable way to calculate the height of the Bionis/Mechonis ?

If the Eryth Sea constitutes half of the Bionis' head's length, there might be a way with the target-o-meter and and an estimate of the height of Shulk to find it out, right ?

dKK8oPk.png

D8vHaDb.png

jOIlHRZ.png

I assume the 151 in the pic above are not really meters since Shulk is probably 1.80m (more or less like Durban are a bit shorter). If 3 steps are needed to shorten your distance to target by 7, and that three steps are roughly twice the character's size, one unit of measure would be give or take 2 meters.

Now, has anyone tried to reach the Bionis occiputal before entering the High Entia Tomb ? This would allow us to estimate the head diameter, and then the height.

OD6srho.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reliable way to calculate the height of the Bionis/Mechonis ?

If the Eryth Sea constitutes half of the Bionis' head's length, there might be a way with the target-o-meter and and an estimate of the height of Shulk to find it out, right ?

I don't really think the locations are to scale, and Eryth sea is confusing on its own since it supposed to be above Frontier Village but also be on Bionis' head.

Kenka

I don't really think the locations are to scale, and Eryth sea is confusing on its own since it supposed to be above Frontier Village but also be on Bionis' head.
Yeah, true. My guess is that you jump in diagonal from the shoulder to the the top of the skull where the Eryth Sea is located without goring through the Bionis body in the process. Would explain why there is no shadow cast on the locations before it.

If the Eryth Sea is taken as the measuring stick, we could then equal the distance from end to end: I read a dude on Gamefaqs saying that this distance would be 6000 or 12 km. If we accept that the line in read in the first pic representing the Bionis model is twice the Eryth Sea length, then the height of the Bionis in this position would be 50 km

edit: scrap my conclusion, this pic tends to show that the Eryth Sea covers the whole elliptical-shaped head but the horns:

erythsea_42288_640screen.jpg

That would make the Bionis ~20-25 km tall.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
We'll be obviously ignoring Tephra cave, as it's obviously not on scale. Just take a look at the whole lower limb from the cliffing passages at C6, yoiu can see C9 from there and realise that there's no way you climbed up that much.

And yo Metroid: Divine Protection (white Gogols at Satorl) is a less cheap way to counter Abbasy's counter-spike, if you feel like not giving in to the temptation of using game-breakling 100% Debuff Resist gems. Of course since Sharla's not on the team, and it's a dragon, a Blaze Resist would be wise too.

If you man Shulk, you can link Riki's "Bullseye!" for the same effect as a maxed Night Vision gem as long as you're attacking from behind. This way you'll get to use another weapon gem (Back Attack Plus would obviously be a good choice with this tactic).

If you man Dunban, activating Heat Haze just before a chain attack will build up your Party Gauge pretty quickly during the chain attack itself. You can end up with half the party gauge full by the time you end it.

If you man Lucky, there's no much to say.

Oh, and Phys Def Down can make the fight easier too, specially if everyone has it.

Top Bottom