• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Depends on whether your tolerance of a certain furball sides with a high-pitched voice or a clown voice.
But the high pitched voice also means you get Vegeta. I really need to replay it in Japanese.

EDIT: Ether = Magic strength and Agilty = Movement speed, or dodge?
Agility is evade and accuracy. Movement speed is from quick step gems (just work out the maths on if its worth your time equipping them as lower levels you spend more time equipping/crafting than you save from moving faster).

Honestly just what the hell. When placing the pre-order there was nothing said about limited quantities. I was told every pre-order gets one. And it's not like I waited a few days. I picked the freaking thing up on the day of release. It pretty much sounds like they took more pre-orders than they can accomodate for the pre-order-extra without stating otherwise. I think they should be held accountable but if it's all gone, there's nothing they can do. :(
I'd talk to the NOA customer services too (while you'll get a pointless response if people ask about it it'll get logged that not enough were made) as while its up to Gamestop to ask for a certain number of the bonus I get the feeling NOA didn't give them enough. Same thing happened with the Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon art cell things.

Any comparison shots?
I've got composite and S-video for PSO on Gamecube. It should give some sort of idea.
compare-composite.jpg
compare-svideo.jpg

Come to think of it the S-Video looks a bit mucky (I think in that room the lighting has changed between shots) but focus on the HUDs.

Aeana

The biggest difference between composite and component, aside from clarity, is the removal of dot crawl. In the PSO screenshot above, if you look at the lines on the HUD in the bottom right, you'll see some black dots on the lines, and they're missing in the s-video shot.

More detail about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

gotee12

Just made it out of
Tephra Cave
and on to the Bionis'
kneecap
... at dusk.

It was an absolutely glorious sight to behold!

Aeana

Just made it out of
Tephra Cave
and on to the Bionis'
kneecap
... at dusk.

It was an absolutely glorious sight to behold!
First time I played, I got out there at night. Second time it was daylight and it was a gigantic difference.

anaron

First time I played, I got out there at night. Second time it was daylight and it was a gigantic difference.

I feel that the daytime music plays a large part in making it feel so grandoise. That and actually being able to see everything.

gotee12

I changed time at least 4 times to see what it looked like at different times of the day. Was definitely one of those moments that made a big impression on me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Side note: Xenoblade is not at PAX, but they are giving out some cool posters with some fancy art at the nintendo 3DS booth

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You know, i wish they could have just put markers on the map for where i need to kill some specific monster or find an item for a quest. Bringing the quest log everytime to check details is a little tiresome after a while considering the number of quests they throw at you.

Hazanko

Banned
I see some complaining about jaggies. Did anyone get one of those Vdigi HDMI 1080P Upscaler devices? I've seen a few on amazon. I also saw a review that said it got rid of jaggies. Not sure if it's any good though.

Twie

Is there any reason not to buy all of the Intermediate Art Books? They seem pretty cheap so far, I'm only 4hrs in.

Edit: wait nvm, I see now art books only give you the option to increase art levels. I thought the books made arts stronger.

Just wanted to stop by and express how much I'm enjoying this title. I'm only on the first dungeon but I've already burned 5+ hours running around doing side quests and meeting the locals. So much charm. The writing is actually good. The VA is fairly well done. The music is beautiful. I love this game!

And my Gamestop gave me the artbook even though I only reserved a few days back and heard that they had stopped promising them. A satisfactory transaction with the wretched retailer. :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I believe they do from previous posts... that they earn less

It is less, but it's very marginally less. By the end of the game all of my characters were still within two levels of one another, even though one particular trio did the lion's share of the fighting.

Some of your characters also learn skills that increase the EXP earned when not in the battle party to almost eliminate that gap entirely.

I see some complaining about jaggies. Did anyone get one of those Vdigi HDMI 1080P Upscaler devices? I've seen a few on amazon. I also saw a review that said it got rid of jaggies. Not sure if it's any good though.
Some of the jaggles are TVs with sharpness set too high (that adds them as it sharpens edges, making them jagged). Some of it is the Wiis anamorphic widescreen creating them (having 640 pixels represnet 854 pixels of TV space...oh add in the TV then blowing that up to another figure...)

As for the Vdigi upscaler. It can only do so much given the 640x480 image its accepting.

Given the price (and the fact mine overheats if running at anything above 480p so blacks out*) only bother if you need HDMI input (my monitor lacks component so its a godsend here). It might do better than your TV at upscaling but there is only so much that it could do.

If you have a good computer, don't minds about crashes (you can save almost anywhere in Xenoblade) and are prepared to softmod your Wii look into Dolphin if you really want to remove jaggles.

*-Hero of legend had the same thing happen to his.

ivysaur12

Banned
You know, i wish they could have just put markers on the map for where i need to kill some specific monster or find an item for a quest. Bringing the quest log everytime to check details is a little tiresome after a while considering the number of quests they throw at you.

Yup. The maps and quest menus are a huge pain in the ass.

Apenheul

I can't beat the boss
spider boss

So now I'm grinding
-----

Just ordered the lens cleaning kit from Nintendo ... hope it works

Just try it and if it doesn't work then put cleaning alcohol on it instead of the liquid that comes with it. Once I did that I never had to use the cleaning kit again.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just try it and if it doesn't work then put cleaning alcohol on it instead of the liquid that comes with it. Once I did that I never had to use the cleaning kit again.

Thanks for the tip.

When I can get xenoblade playing on the wii. I notice nothing out of the ordinary playing on the wii console that is "unable to read disc".

But hey, I can play it =D

Busaiku

Ok, so it took me like 7 hours to get to the
Fiora's death
I really did not expect that, I thought it would've been Dunban to go for sure, also surprised the commander's alive too.

Is that normal or am I falling massively behind?
I did complete all the 1-4 quests, and through Monster 3/4 Parts 1 and 2 (not sure if they have a Part 3) and Challenge 1-3.

I didn't manage to hand Desiree back the watch or give the candy mom the candy, will I be able to do those as well?

Levyne

Banned
Fiora's death
I really did not expect that, I thought it would've been Dunban to go for sure, also surprised the commander's alive too.

I did complete all the 1-4 quests, and through Monster 3/4 Parts 1 and 2 (not sure if they have a Part 3) and Challenge 1-3.
I didn't manage to hand Desiree back the watch or give the candy mom the candy, will I be able to do those as well?

I don't remember all of the quests, but the quest will show a clock by it in the menu if it is only available for a limited time. Some quests also have mutually exclusive endings but nothing that is a major choice.

Mistake

Gold Member
As soon as I found out this game had both English and Japanese, I was all "well, there goes my money!". I ordered this morning. Can't waiiit. I should be finishing Grandia 2 by the time it arrives, but I'm really conflicted on playing Xenoblade or Skies of Arcadia first...

Busaiku

I don't remember all of the quests, but the quest will show a clock by it in the menu if it is only available for a limited time. Some quests also have mutually exclusive endings but nothing that is a major choice.

Yeah, I don't think any of them had clocks, so that's good.
However, did I miss any quests that were time restricted? Cause I didn't get any up until that point.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I don't think any of them had clocks, so that's good.
However, did I miss any quests that were time restricted? Cause I didn't get any up until that point.

No. There aren't that many and there are maybe 3 or 4 key events that cause some quests to become unfinishable. The events are fairly major and the first isn't for a while iirc

I name the first area that I think has limited quests in the spoiler below, just the name of the area:

Refugee Camp

Teknoman

I'm thinking i'll limit myself to quests that are along the way/in areas I havent explored, or just have interesting rewards. There seem to be a decent amount that are just "Here is some spare change" as rewards.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Lucky enough to snag a copy without a pre-order yesterday. The GameStop folks were big on the upsells, going so far as to try to push a warranty for the game because it's gonna be rare? I found it odd, though I did toss five bucks down on Last Story just to be safe with that one.

I'm only about five hours into Xenoblade this far. I'm very much enjoying myself, and I'm inclined to believe that it's as great as every one says it is. I have some slight interface and UI gripes with it, but those fall to the wayside once the game starts opening up more.

I wonder how well it'll do, seemed like most stores it my area were gonna run out of their initial shipments yesterday, so there must have been at least a slight demand built up.

Duderz

Banned
Yup. The maps and quest menus are a huge pain in the ass.

It's pretty much the only huge complaint I have with the game.

"I have to return to who in what part of which town during what time to continue which quest?" It really could have been handled better. Obviously I got over it though, doing so many quests.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Fiora's death

falling behind? Go at your own pace.

raven777

I just have a question: Do you sell all the useless items/armors/weapons? or do you keep some to trade? (On one of the tutorial it said you can trade some items for rare items)

ivysaur12

Banned
It's pretty much the only huge complaint I have with the game.

"I have to return to who in what part of which town during what time to continue which quest?" It really could have been handled better. Obviously I got over it though, doing so many quests.

I mean, yeah. Still annoying, especially in one area when it comes to finding certain characters.

That said, Colony 6 was such a rewarding quest. Finishing it is one of my favorite things I've done this gen.

Shaffield

Oh man, I am twelve hours in, and I'm still just wandering around the
Bionis' Leg
At this rate, I will be playing this game for one thousand hours

Comet

My game has yet to ship from Nintendo, but it's okay I'm in no rush.

So does anyone know if there is any plans on making an official strategy guide for this game? Not so much for the actual walkthrough, but the juicy collector's value.

My game has yet to ship from Nintendo, but it's okay I'm in no rush.

So does anyone know if there is any plans on making an official strategy guide for this game? Not so much for the actual walkthrough, but the juicy collector's value.

There won't be a strategy guide.

Effect

Was holding off but took the wrapper over the game. Frustration with Skyward Sword at the moment is the cause. First dinner then play. :)

Astra

I like this game. A lot.

And the music. *swoon*

Music is fantastic. I love to listen to the various environment music when I'm going for a walk.

I still haven't opened my copy, yet. I may just leave it sealed, since I have a PAL version.
Really have to finish Graces before I replay this.

Top Bottom