• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Ultratech

I just have a question: Do you sell all the useless items/armors/weapons? or do you keep some to trade? (On one of the tutorial it said you can trade some items for rare items)

I pretty much sold off everything but Unique equips (since some have nice skins). However, I'd just get rid of armor you're absolutely sure you're not gonna use again. Some slotted armor is nice to around to for customization.

Are there any quests that are genuinely "time" restricted? I know there are some that can't be done after certain story events.

Sorta...

The first set of Timed Quests are only available until you do an certain event. You have to do it eventually I think, though you can put it off for a while.

The second set of Timed Quests are available until a good chunk into the game. (Maybe like 80% through the story?) You'll probably have a good idea when this occurs.

Anything else that falls under it after that point means there's something else that could cause that quest to become unavailable. (Like if you get quests from two different people regarding the same objective.)

gotee12

Nintendo will fix Wii's that can't play dual layered discs for free. My shipping label is on the way.

I too am curious. My Wii had a tough time playing the XB disc. It's a launch Wii and I just assumed that the lens was dirty. I had to "jump start" it by booting SSBB as well.

Did you do it online or call?

Do you just have to send the console?

Please let me know.

I called their 800 support number. They will send you a shipping label with instructions. You have to send them the Wii and the game. They can send the shipping label via email if you like too but I have two Wii's and I wanted to play the game a few days before shipping it off to Nintendo so I opted for them to send the shipping label through the mail.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heh, my wife sat down and watched me play for a bit. Her first comment was "are you playing an old game? The picture quality is really poor". :p

Really enjoying the game itself, though. Surprisingly engaging world and gameplay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So is the image quality better when running 4:3 or 16:9, and is this true for all Wii games? (not at my Wii presently)

Always better in 4:3 but it sucks using 4:3 on a 16:9 display so I just put up with the pixel stretching.

Hiltz

Yep. This game is definitely exhausting. You can get fatigued just by focusing on sidequests with no story progression for a few days.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. This game is definitely exhausting. You can get fatigued just by focusing on sidequests with no story progression for a few days.

That's been me mostly so far. I've played 10 hours of it but I've barely progressed in the story.

Hiltz

That's been me mostly so far. I've played 10 hours of it but I've barely progressed in the story.

Surprisingly addictive, aren't they ? I probably got lost half the time just trying to search for the right npc despite using the affinity chart. It really helped to look it up online so you don't have to constantly check the affinity chart and quest log as much.

Aeana

10:30 on the clock, just got to
Frontier Village
. I'm doing the "accept everything, complete whatever happens to be completed as I walk around the maps" method this go around, and it's proving to be perfectly sustainable. I'm on track to beat it even faster than last time, I think. It'll be interesting to see where I am at the end.

Seik

Banned
The music gets really repetitive on the Bionis leg!

I could listen to it for ten hours.

Any of you Dolphin bros playing this at 60fps, or is 30 with the path as good as it gets?

The game is 30fps.

xenok1rj8.png

Dragon

Banned
Satori Marsh. Night. Music. Sometimes I just warp there and change the time just to listen to the music.

Always better in 4:3 but it sucks using 4:3 on a 16:9 display so I just put up with the pixel stretching.

I'm surprised you aren't playing it in Dolphin.

Should I be selling materials and collectibles for cash?

Make sure you prioritize filling your Collectapedia. Your inventory is huge and money is almost worthless throughout most of the game, so you can keep most of the stuff you find. You never know when you'll need something for a quest.

Old equipment you can jettison, though.

gdt

I haven't turned on my Wii since Zelda, but after all the hubbub I think I'll order this/pick it up. Haven't played a JRPG since FXIII, I think.

Muskweeto

Just got home from work and ready to resume this awesome game. I couldn't stop looking at the clock at work. It's finally Reyn time!

Hiltz

Before deciding to sell/discard a blue orb collectible item/monster material, it's a good idea to remember the following:

- Try to frequently keep several of the same type of collectibles and monster material in your inventory. That way, you'll be able to conveniently accept future sidequests and have an npc reward you for finishing them by unkowing having already collected the right type and amount of material. If you find that you're still hanging on to a really old item that no npc has asked for yet, then it's probably safe to dump it. However, it's still a good idea to filter the list of items by rarity so you know which ones are more rare and harder to come by.

- As an option, collectibles can be used to fill in the slots of each new map. Filling in all of the required collectibles will earn you a reward in the form of equipment. However, from what I can remember, these rewards were mostly useless stuff.

- Also as an option, collectibles can be used as "gifts" to give between characters in order very gradually raise the level of their affinity relationship. As many of you probably have found out by now, it takes a TON of collectibles to raise affinity this way, but you can still get affinity through battles, heart-to-hearts, and completing sidequests (just remember that affinity gets awarded to the currently assigned characters of your battle party (so it matters which character your playing as). In addition, every character likes a specific type of collectible (the ones they don't like will end up lowering their affinity!). You'll probably want to look through an online affinity guide to check out what collecibles every character likes. The more heart icons that appear above a characters head, the more affnity they receive. Of course, the collectible items that give out the most affintity is like 4-5 which appear as heart icons above a character's head. Again, the highest affinity-worthy collectibles aren't as easy to come by.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, I'm loving the game so far, still at the start and I have a quick question.

Will I have to use the Monado enchantment every time I fight mechon, or does everyone get weapons that can hurt them eventually (and by eventually I mean before I encounter them again because it's really annoying).

Twie

This game is pretty taxing, so much stuff going on at once. I'm really into it, but I can't play for more than 3-4hrs at a time.

Will I have to use the Monado enchantment every time I fight mechon, or does everyone get weapons that can hurt them eventually (and by eventually I mean before I encounter them again).

There's no way to give you an answer without spoiling the game (unless that's what you want), so here's the best I can come up with: yes, you'll need to use Monado Enchant every time—unless you topple them, which allows all weapons to damage them. Ether attacks also damage mechon.

Keep playing.

This game is pretty taxing, so much stuff going on at once. I'm really into it, but I can't play for more than 3-4hrs at a time.

Just take it at your own pace. You don't need to do every quest you come across or talk to everyone you see. There are occasions when you might want to spend an hour or two running around and doing quests, and that's when they should be done.

L00P

Just got to the part where I get a vision on incoming attacks. Shit just got real. I think I'm gonna have to read that tutorial again 'coz I still can't wrap my head around it @_@

Shaffield

Just got to the part where I get a vision on incoming attacks. Shit just got real. I think I'm gonna have to read that tutorial again 'coz I still can't wrap my head around it @_@

Same here. I get the basic idea, but boss battles still feel a little bit hectic, and I find it pretty difficult to pay attention to the attack and adequately prevent it. I usually just try to Topple it or heal when a vision pops up.

-GOUKI-

I hate everyone of you in this thread. I have the game but my wii is broken and my pc is just underspec to play it in dolphin.

Hate you all so much

Hey guys, if you take a look, Gamestop currently lists Xenoblade Chronicles as the top-selling game on its website.

EDIT: Not really sure how impressive that IS, but that is something.

frequency

Xenoblade is nowhere to be found on the Canadian EB/GS. You have to do a search for it to even get to the page. And it's not available online.

The Wii page is too busy advertising Just Dance 3.

Korigama

Hey guys, if you take a look, Gamestop currently lists Xenoblade Chronicles as the top-selling game on its website.

EDIT: Not really sure how impressive that IS, but that is something.

Xenoblade is nowhere to be found on the Canadian EB/GS. You have to do a search for it to even get to the page. And it's not available online.

The Wii page is too busy advertising Just Dance 3.
The US GameStop site.

Kevtones

Really dig the title after 3 hours of play but is there any reason for a jump mechanic? Break up the endlessness if running?

Will I have to use the Monado enchantment every time I fight mechon, or does everyone get weapons that can hurt them eventually (and by eventually I mean before I encounter them again because it's really annoying).
Eventually you get weapons that can hurt mechon, and ether (magic) attacks that can hurt them, but at the start it's just enchant and break+topple.

Really dig the title after 3 hours of play but is there any reason for a jump mechanic? Break up the endlessness if running?
There are a few (and I mean a few, it's pretty rare) places where jumping is necessary to reach certain areas when you're exploring. It also makes it easier to jump off of massive ledges (hopefully towards a body of water), which is the secret minigame of Xenoblade.

Top Bottom