• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

raven777

4 hours in. I am loving the battle system.

A quick question: is there any way to view quest marks on the map?( like where the quest monster is on the map/which place you can get the required item?) because I can't really find descriptions of the quests and I don't see anything on the map, so its difficult to find out where I should go for the quests.

Gambit

There are a few (and I mean a few, it's pretty rare) places where jumping is necessary to reach certain areas when you're exploring. It also makes it easier to jump off of massive ledges (hopefully towards a body of water), which is the secret minigame of Xenoblade.

Everyone should always do that. You see a ledge, you jump down (at least once).
It's the rule.

There are like...fences some places I guess. And you can jump over them...I guess

Jumping off of cliffs is remarkably satisfying.

Edit:
A quick question: is there any way to view quest marks on the map?( like where the quest monster is on the map/which place you can get the required item?) because I can't really find descriptions of the quests and I don't see anything on the map, so its difficult to find out where I should go for the quests.
No, there are no markers for monsters on the map. There are for NPCs you need to talk to or for unique items to collect, which are represented by a red exclamation point.

You can get a general location for some of the monster hunts from the quest menu.

Zekes!

Jumping off of cliffs is remarkably satisfying.

Jumping off cliffs is the best

edit: without spoilers (if possible) does anyone besides Sharla learn any decent healing arts? I'm rolling with Shulk, Dunban and Riki, and while I (surprisingly) haven't had to worry much about healing so far, I'm always nervous

Zekes!

Loving the game. The overworld is massive and the story of 2 giants really is something else.

Yeah, I think that's part of what makes the environments so amazing too; somethings I'll be running around only to end up in a spot where I can look in to the distance/across a vista and be reminded that I'm on this huge ass deity

TDLink

edit: without spoilers (if possible) does anyone besides Sharla learn any decent healing arts? I'm rolling with Shulk, Dunban and Riki, and while I (surprisingly) haven't had to worry much about healing so far, I'm always nervous

Sharla is the best healer but I never really found the amount of healing she does to be completely necessary. Riki has a great group heal spell (You Can Do It) and Shulk also has a single target heal. That party should be perfectly fine.

Just got to the
Central Pit... at least that's what I think it's called. It's the mine underneath Colony 6 with the spinning shaft thing that appears to serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

Accidentally removed some armour from
Sharla. She's basically this game's Tifa. Does she ever wear anything apart from hotpants and cleavage tops?

AniHawk

about 2 hours in and still fucking around with the early story stuff. kinda used to games rushing me through shit, but just running around collecting stuff is relaxing. also, i think the music is brainwashing me into liking this game more than i should at this point.

oh, and ebay's already seeing sealed copies being bid on for more than $50 when it's only been out for two days. maybe this'll be the wii's panzer dragoon saga.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, I think that's part of what makes the environments so amazing too; somethings I'll be running around only to end up in a spot where I can look in to the distance/across a vista and be reminded that I'm on this huge ass deity

Yeah, my mind is still trying to understand how could things such as monsters, humans, robots, waterfalls, trees, cliffs, mountains, etc. can even exist on a giant.

about 2 hours in and still fucking around with the early story stuff. kinda used to games rushing me through shit, but just running around collecting stuff is relaxing. also, i think the music is brainwashing me into liking this game more than i should at this point.

oh, and ebay's already seeing sealed copies being bid on for more than $50 when it's only been out for two days. maybe this'll be the wii's panzer dragoon saga.
I spent about 8 hours before I even left the starting area. The game is freaking huge.

I know. I was just posting to highlight how terrible Canada is for games.

Well, to be fair to ebgames/gs canada, it was listed in the most anticipated titles near the very top for the eb games main webpage for quite a while after it was first put on their website, and when I checked it yesterday, it was still in stock. Now with it being released, and out of stock due to the demand, that's the likely reason why it's nowhere on the front page now. Granted, the Canadian EB/GS website is not that good compared to what the US website offers, but I personally would be a more annoyed as a customer if they were trying to promote the sale of a game they didn't have any copies of in the first place when I clicked on the link to buy it.

After hearing so much about how awesome the music is from people much further into the game than I am, I caved and bought the Xenoblade OST from Yesasia. I was going to buy it from play-asia, but even with it being $46 US on yesasia, compared to play-asia's just under $42 price range, yesasia offered free shipping while there was a $7 charge for the cheapest shipping option for play-asia. I also found a $2.00 coupon to use on the order which sealed the deal for me. It's a 4 cd set, so I'm looking forward to hearing it when it arrives in the mail.

Hiltz

Yes. However, Sharla is the best healer in the game and learns more useful healing arts later on. Quite frankly, I'd go with Rikki as he's the second best healer, but more well-rounded than Sharla is. Rikki may look stupid but he's a tough little bastard with a very useful wide range of abilities.

AwShucks

7 hours in. Still enjoying the game, story and battle system both. I find myself thinking "ok looks like it's gonna slow down the pace now" only to be hit with a cool action packed cutscene.

I'm not sure how this is gonna keep it up for 50 more hours though

Hiltz

Just got to the
Central Pit... at least that's what I think it's called. It's the mine underneath Colony 6 with the spinning shaft thing that appears to serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

Accidentally removed some armour from
Sharla. She's basically this game's Tifa. Does she ever wear anything apart from hotpants and cleavage tops?

Nope. Besides, the whole point is to show off Sharla's "assets". Just wait until you see some of the armor equipment for her later on. Some sexy stuff to look forward to. Can't say I'm a big fan of most of the helmets in this game. They often look so stupid.

7 hours in. Still enjoying the game, story and battle system both. I find myself thinking "ok looks like it's gonna slow down the pace now" only to be hit with a cool action packed cutscene.

I'm not sure how this is gonna keep it up for 50 more hours though

Don't worry, it does. You're just in the beginning so there's still a ton of crap that's gonna happen.

AniHawk

I spent about 8 hours before I even left the starting area. The game is freaking huge.

i don't even know how they made this game so huge.

i mean the starting area already feels pretty large. and then i'm collecting a bunch of different shit. and then i find out (on my own) that there's a collectapedia and collecting things in a category gives you gems. and gems upgrade stats. and then armor actually shows as updates on the characters themselves. all on top of a bunch of side quests that give me auto-rewards for completing them and shit.

the ffxii comparisons seem pretty fair so far, except for the whole no-loading thing.

Antagon

One tip: don't try to do all of the quests. There's way too many and they can get really grindy. Plus, doing tons of them will make you overlevelled and takes all the challenge away. Just pick up the quests you run into and do them while exploring and you should stay at around the right level for the story.

Cloudy

Banned
So I've put in about 2 hours. I don't know much about the story yet and the graphics are crappy on my HDTV outsides of cutscenes but I think this game will be great

Just tooling around colony 9, the scope seems huge. Almost intimidating lol

The game reminds me of an online rpg with the quest stuff and sense of exploration. After the corridor-fest and beautiful areas with little to no exploration of FF13, it's quite refreshing.

It's just a shame the game isnt on ps3. Wii just seems like it can't really handle it (for example: npcs vanishing lol)

It's just a shame the game isnt on ps3. Wii just seems like it can't really handle it (for example: npcs vanishing lol)

There were definitely concessions made to cram a game of this scope on the Wii (the character models, trees, enemy/NPC pop-in, etc) but it's still a remarkable technical feat.

Hiltz

So I've put in about 2 hours. I don't know much about the story yet and the graphics are crappy on my HDTV outsides of cutscenes but I think this game will be great

Just tooling around colony 9, the scope seems huge. Almost intimidating lol

The game reminds me of an online rpg with the quest stuff and sense of exploration. After the corridor-fest and beautiful areas with little to no exploration of FF13, it's quite refreshing.

Thankfully, the story doesn't take as much time to unfold as it did in Skyward Sword.There's almost always something exciting to look forward to.

m9tsM.jpg

raven777

For leveling up Arts, is there any priority on which arts to level up first? Like for the main character, Can I focus on leveling up Monado attacking arts first?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hmm so this game looks like it's gonna be rare? If so I'll probably pick it up just to ensure I have a copy to play later on even though I haven't turned on my Wii in years.

Why? Unlike when wii launched, most people have an HDTV these days. Why make games that look like shit on people's televisions?

Because I think the graphics talk has gotten really overblown by this point. People care way too much about it, and if that's what having HD causes people to do, then I don't really want to be a part of that.

Celebrate the game for what it has, don't whine how it's not in HD. If that's all you see, then you're not looking at the big picture here.

Antagon

For leveling up Arts, is there any priority on which arts to level up first? Like for the main character, Can I focus on leveling up Monado attacking arts first?

The only one I can think of is Shulk's shield art, which needs to be a certain level to keep working. Otherwise, just level the skills that you like the most.

TDLink

Can anyone explain the usefulness of Skill Links? The tutorial didn't do a very good job of explaining it.

It lets you take skills you have learned on one character and give them to another character. Raise affinity between two characters to increase the number of skills they can take from one another. For each level of affinity you can link an additional skill but you can only link a skill that fits the shape of that slot (ie, Circle, Star, Square, etc.). Which shapes are in each slot are character specific. Each skill you are trying to link costs a certain amount of "Affinity Coins". Each character gets one affinity coin per level and one affinity coin per boss/unique enemy. So when you set a skill to a character that another one has already learned it will have a specific Affinity coin cost. If you don't have enough affinity coins for that skill you can't link it. You can unequip linked skills at any time and you get refunded your Affinity coins when you do so. To access the skill link menu you hit "-" (Using CC) while looking at the Skill trees.

AniHawk

so i stopped at what i guess would be the prologue or maybe chapter 1.

-i now understand 'sorry i kept you waiting!' when i thought it was a weird reference to kid icarus uprising
-
i can't believe fiora died so soon. i thought for sure she would have stuck around a bit longer
-nice facial expressions going on from time to time
-it's actually kinda refreshing to be playing a jrpg like this again. i haven't played a jrpg like this in six years

AniHawk

One tip: don't try to do all of the quests. There's way too many and they can get really grindy. Plus, doing tons of them will make you overlevelled and takes all the challenge away. Just pick up the quests you run into and do them while exploring and you should stay at around the right level for the story.

this is what i've been doing and it seems to be working out. i'm not really keeping track, but it doesn't matter.

so i stopped at what i guess would be the prologue or maybe chapter 1.

-i now understand 'sorry i kept you waiting!' when i thought it was a weird reference to kid icarus uprising
-
i can't believe fiora died so soon. i thought for sure she would have stuck around a bit longer
-nice facial expressions going on from time to time
-it's actually kinda refreshing to be playing a jrpg like this again. i haven't played a jrpg like this in six years

Oh i wish i could be replaying this for the first time yeah best rpg in year for about 2 gen now

Edgeward

-
s

Yeah, made me glad I pretty much had a no knowledge of anything of this game prior to playing it so seeing that happen made an impact on me.
Especially since I went and bought those bikini outfits, I thought for sure she would be around

AniHawk

Yeah, made me glad I pretty much had a no knowledge of anything of this game prior to playing it so seeing that happen made an impact on me.
Especially since I went and bought those bikini outfits, I thought for sure she would be around

i knew of her fate through an accidental reading of that spoiler earlier today, but i thought it would be more towards the middle of the game.

she even had the fucking swimsuit oil and other good-stats stuff on when it could have been on shulk.

Edgeward

i knew of her fate through an accidental reading of that spoiler earlier today, but i thought it would be more towards the middle of the game.

she even had the fucking swimsuit oil and other good-stats stuff on when it could have been on shulk.

They even went as far as giving her own 3 talent trees! And they looked great to use to, which I will never know now.

Top Bottom