• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

massoluk

Banned
But Sharla got the best armor.
oDRIm.jpg

Anyone find the way 'they' bounced in the cutscene very distracting?

Holy crap Melia is broken. Things just die when you use her, and I don't even have the other half of her cheesy shenanigans (maxed Summon Earth with maxed Poison Plus gems), just maxed Summon Bolt and Electric Plus. I really wish they hadn't busted her AI so I could have her around at all times.

BKJest

Holy crap Melia is broken. Things just die when you use her, and I don't even have the other half of her cheesy shenanigans (maxed Summon Earth with maxed Poison Plus gems), just maxed Summon Bolt and Electric Plus. I really wish they hadn't busted her AI so I could have her around at all times.
In addition to being a magic powerhouse she also has the deadly Spear Break -> Starlight Kick combo to topple enemies all by herself.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
In addition to being a magic powerhouse she also has the deadly Spear Break -> Starlight Kick combo to topple enemies all by herself.

Pfft, that's nothing. The 7th's Final Cross can topple multiple enemies at once on top of doing lots of damage.

...Just needs max tension to use it. :lol

Sadist

So I reached Alcamoth in my second playthrough and I don't know if I met all of the High Entia.

Does anyone have a list with all the NPC's I can encounter?

So I reached Alcamoth in my second playthrough and I don't know if I met all of the High Entia.

I assume you're talking about the named NPCs, either for quests or trading (or atmosphere, if you're trying to see what they all have to say).

The (WARNING: LINK LEADS TO SPOILERS) all-knowing spreadsheet has a list of all the named NPCs, where they are at what times, what they trade for, their age, and their race.

Also, the Quests tab lists every quest in the game and where to find it, tips on completing them, etc.

OnPoint

So I'm LTTP here. And I'm liking the game, but I'm looking for some advice on the combat system. I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong and I don't know what it is.

For example, my guys were like level 10 when I was in
the first cave toward the beginning where you get the cylinders
and there's that
giant bug/wurm thing that can poison you
. I just can't seem to kill it. I have
the Modano

I feel like I'm missing something crucial to the combat, because some battles, like this seemingly regular one, seem way harder than even boss battles.

emb

So I'm LTTP here. And I'm liking the game, but I'm looking for some advice on the combat system. I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong and I don't know what it is.

and there's that
the Modano

I feel like I'm missing something crucial to the combat, because some battles, like this seemingly regular one, seem way harder than even boss battles.

Is this music different? There are a lot of battles with named enemies, that you probably shouldn't worry about for now. Otherwise, your best bet is to just level up. One level makes a big difference in this game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft, that's nothing. The 7th's Final Cross can topple multiple enemies at once on top of doing lots of damage.

...Just needs max tension to use it. :lol

And it doesn't even require break, it's just an instant AoE topple.

I do like how they balanced Starlight Kick though, it only topples after Spear Break. So unlike other topple arts where you can just keep stacking them on a break/toppled/dazed enemy, you can't do that with Starlight Kick unless you Spear Break first.

You would think the art 7th has would be similarly balanced since it requires max tension, but it's so easy to get max tension with that character that it doesn't really make too much of a difference.

and there's that
the Modano

If it's the unique enemy Cellar Bugworm, you probably aren't going to beat it yet. I beat it at level 9/10 on my second playthrough, but it was definitely NOT an easy fight.

In general, avoid unique/named enemies until you're a few levels above them early on in the game. You just aren't going to have the necessary options to beat them while at a similar level for a while.

Alrus

and there's that
the Modano

That's the named caterpillar at the beginning of the cave right? Named monster are much much harder than regular enemies and even some bosses.

I think I killed that one at lvl 10 after a few tries, make sure you dispatch all the small caterpillar around him before starting the fight (you can lure them away from him). Then it's a matter of having Reyn keep the aggro as much as possible and using chain attacks when you can.

It's really not an important monster though, so if you're having trouble, just forget about it.

OnPoint

Alright, so it's not like there's some kind of defensive option or something else I'm missing, it's just a massively difficult enemy? That's what I was hoping. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Sadist

I assume you're talking about the named NPCs, either for quests or trading (or atmosphere, if you're trying to see what they all have to say).

The (WARNING: LINK LEADS TO SPOILERS) all-knowing spreadsheet has a list of all the named NPCs, where they are at what times, what they trade for, their age, and their race.

Also, the Quests tab lists every quest in the game and where to find it, tips on completing them, etc.
Sweet, I lost the link to this one. Cheers!

upandaway

So I just went over 3 peeps. Shit just got real.

I have no clue what to do with this. Which 3 do I take? Which one do I play as? Argh. They'll probably keep adding people too... just kill me now.

emb

I have no clue what to do with this. Which 3 do I take? Which one do I play as? Argh. They'll probably keep adding people too... just kill me now.

I always had a tough time choosing party members in this game. They're all pretty cool.

Bisnic

and there's that
the Modano

If i remember right, there is an alternative path that can make you avoid fightining that hard monster.

Handy tip: switch your party up frequently. It'll be more interesting, and you'll have more fun. Forget the DPS/tank/healer rubric and try everything.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

In my first playthrough I dropped Reyn for Dunban shortly after I got him. My second playthrough was anti-Sharla, so I dropped her.

I'd say the party in the second playthrough was better, but probably also required better knowledge of the battle system.

I guess my advice in general (not just to you, but to anybody who isn't sure how they should pick their party members) is to just experiment. The punishment for dying couldn't be more minimal, and in theory pretty much any party will function well enough.

Hey guys, so skills with the three-dudes symbol is a party skill...so does that mean that if I link that skill to someone else also in the party, that I get double the bonus, or is it redundant and pointless?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, so skills with the three-dudes symbol is a party skill...so does that mean that if I link that skill to someone else also in the party, that I get double the bonus, or is it redundant and pointless?

Skill links stack. So if you have a skill that affects the entire party and you link it to all 3 active party members, it activates 3 times.

It's particularly noticeable on burst affinity effects, so lets say for example you have "strength up on burst affinity" you'll actually see 3 separate strength buff notifications pop up beside your character when it activates.

emb

Hmm... while we're on it, more on links/buffs/stacking.

Are all your skill links active all the time, or just the ones between the three in your party?

Buffs in general stack, right? Say I had an art that granted defence up or something, and used it once in a chain attack, then again right after. That sort of thing stacks?

Melia's buffs go away when you attack with the summoned element, right?

Does poison stack?

Effect

I got fatigued on playing Xenoblade several times because of how addictive it is. Just try to cut back your gameplay time by breaking it up into multiple gameplay sessions for less than 4 hours at a time. It may even be a good idea to skip a day or two from playing altogether once in a while. I'd often find that it is more effective to set up a rule where you stop playing after a certain time. Cause telling yourself to "stop after getting just a little bit further into the game" usually doesn't work out that well.

Sounds like a plan. I'll have to give this a go. I usually have my phone next to me. With being able to save anywhere it shouldn't be a problem to just stop playing and move on to something else. The "keep playing until I get further" is so normal though with RPGs because of the save points.

I also think I need to not worry about dying all the time. I've been saving a lot, not because I'm afraid the game will freeze (my Wii disc drive is sounding iffy again but then again that just could be the way it's always sounded and haven't really been paying attention until recently) or I'll lose power and lose my progress but because I don't want to lose progress if I die in a fight and have to reload. I keep forgetting that doesn't happen. You die but you keep your progress and just put back at the nearest landmark.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... while we're on it, more on links/buffs/stacking.

Are all your skill links active all the time, or just the ones between the three in your party?
Every skill and skill link you have is active. If it's on the character it is never inactive.

Buffs in general stack, right? Say I had an art that granted defence up or something, and used it once in a chain attack, then again right after. That sort of thing stacks?
Yeah, pretty much any buffs/debuffs will stack.

Melia's buffs go away when you attack with the summoned element, right?
Yes, they only last as long as the element is floating over her.

Does poison stack?
Status ailments do not stack, and you can't inflict multiples of the same one. But you can inflict different ones at the same time (like Bleed + Blaze).

Jarlaxle

Just started playing this two days ago after finishing Dark Souls. This is extremely addicting so far. I'm loving it. I don't really have a firm grasp on things yet but hopefully that will just come with time.

I beat that cave worm thing on about my 7th or 8th try. I found it tough too.

Quick question, are you penalized in any way for dying other than being sent back to last landmark? Do you lose experience? Is it worth it to save and then load or it doesn't really matter other than the spot you're at?

Also, do other party members gain experience outside of the party or only when you use them?

Thanks in advance.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing this two days ago after finishing Dark Souls. This is extremely addicting so far. I'm loving it. I don't really have a firm grasp on things yet but hopefully that will just come with time.

I beat that cave worm thing on about my 7th or 8th try. I found it tough too.

Quick question, are you penalized in any way for dying other than being sent back to last landmark? Do you lose experience? Is it worth it to save and then load or it doesn't really matter other than the spot you're at?

Also, do other party members gain experience outside of the party or only when you use them?

Thanks in advance.

You don't lose anything when you die, you just go back to the last landmark. So there's really no punishment for dying, so you shouldn't be afraid to try various things like different party setups or maybe sneak by a powerful enemy.

And yes, party members gain experience/AP/SP outside battle, but it's at a reduced rate. Not significantly reduced though, so you should be able to drop them in your party without worrying about them being underleveled.

Bisnic

Speaking of armor, i was disappointed that from lvl 75 to 99, all monsters dropped the same gear. Be it Lancelot, Rafaga, Hierax, etc. not to mention the weapons.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just wondering about a side mission related to Juju!

Is there any point in helping rebuild colony 6? All I've heard is at first you get portable gem crafting which seems useful, but is there any reason to continue doing so after?

burgerdog

Just wondering about a side mission related to Juju!

Is there any point in helping rebuild colony 6? All I've heard is at first you get portable gem crafting which seems useful, but is there any reason to continue doing so after?

More quests and an awesome town? Sharlas 5th skill tree as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's necessary for Rank VI agility gems which are very important for post-game stuff.

Some shops will also sell some exclusive intermediate art books, but it's questionable whether or not it's worth it since by the time you get the whole thing finished and all of them are available, you can technically grind some uniques for the advanced books for free.

It also allows you to collect some otherwise missable blue orbs.

I'm trying to do the "Mystery of Makna Ruins" series of quests. I did 1 and 2, but Lupa isn't offering 3 for some reason. I talk to her and she just goes on about how tired she is or wondering what kind of slippery stuff she needs. Do I need to do something else to get #3? I'm in the second area after the one where you get the 7th member.

I reached
Nopon's village and Riki joined my party. Is there anywhere I can buy Melia's art books? I searched the Nopon village and they don't seem to sell any.
Going with what others said. Later on and also remember to check the same shop a bit later as some more become available for some reason (that goes for the place you mentioned too).

Most people seem to have some trouble fighting that slug monster on their first try.
The first time you encounter a unique the game pops up a tutorial saying you don't have to fight everything basically and to watch out as they're stronger.

I'm trying to do the "Mystery of Makna Ruins" series of quests. I did 1 and 2, but Lupa isn't offering 3 for some reason. I talk to her and she just goes on about how tired she is or wondering what kind of slippery stuff she needs.
Google translate can't do the whole page I'm looking at (and I'm too time strapped to C&P) so I'm ringing this one in. I think #3 needs the village to be at 4000 reputation. I don't know what that is in affinity stars. Form more affinity links (talk to NPCs, some will change after quests and affinity stars), do more crappy quests to build reputation is all you can do really. #2 was at >2000 reputation for comparison.

Speaking of which, thats what I'm doing right now in a later section. Grinding for Krabble Back Moss is not fun. 20.1% drop rate and nobody trades it. Yes I'm saving after each kill and reloading the chest but it doesn't make it fun. Doing it 5 times...ugh.

Has anyone tried to use Reyn as a damage-dealer while Dunban was the main tank? His Sword Drive is ridiculously powerful but most of his other attacks seem either aggro-focused or built to increase the talent gauge for his aggro move. I'm worried that the AI would just try to steal aggro from Dunban.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAWP6-8IHQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ending scenes, do not click if you haven't beat it. My question: what armor is he wearing on Shulk and Sharla?
Ugh, is there a way to link YouTube videos without having them pop up on NeoGAF mobile? This is the second time someone has posted an endgame video that I've had to quickly eye-dodge.

Status ailments do not stack, and you can't inflict multiples of the same one. But you can inflict different ones at the same time (like Bleed + Blaze).
Aww man. So, about all those times I used double summon for Melia's fire attack...

Zornica

Banned

if you don't like the sheet like me, you may prefere the npc spawn map:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=alcamothengv2kqx.jpg

Ugh I'm getting so fed up with (late game spoilers):

The 2nd Gadolt fight. All of my characters are level 67, he's 68. I can get him down to about half health and then he uses some OHKO AoE attack (Laser Bullet or something IIRC) that I can never dodge and that Shield also won't work against (and it's at level 7). It's also not helping that Shulk's AI is terrible and they'll be good portion of the fight where Dunban is just consistently dealing 1 damage per hit. I control Melia and the other AI is Shulk so we still do damage, but still having Dunban do only 1 damage instead of all his potential is super annoying.

Any tips besides grinding?

Did you really get this far without ANY weapon drops for dunban?
practically, if not, all weapons on mechonis are anti mechon. not having one by this point is next to impossible. If you really didn't get a single one, go through agniratha, the factory or halls and kill some unique monsters, you will find plenty of new weapons, and all of them are anti mechon. you also could look for the hidden trading post in mechons halls (its near the scar)

last but not least:
It's blue IIRC, not red. So there's really only one option to negate the damage. Go back to Makna Forest/Frontier Village and is a chain of side quests you can do to get
Monado Armor, which reduces ANY damage and not just enemy Talent Arts
. It's pretty much the best Monado art you can get, but it's optional. If you already got it, just level it up and take advantage of it.

I am pretty sure you get
monado eater there...
monado armor is a very simple quest in hidden village without much groundwork

edit: oh damn sry, why is there still no button for that stuff?
to my defense: if I am quoting a spoiler taged question, and my answer starts with a broken spoilertag, it should be a clear sign to stop reading now ;)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Google translate can't do the whole page I'm looking at (and I'm too time strapped to C&P) so I'm ringing this one in. I think #3 needs the village to be at 4000 reputation. I don't know what that is in affinity stars. Form more affinity links (talk to NPCs, some will change after quests and affinity stars), do more crappy quests to build reputation is all you can do really. #2 was at >2000 reputation for comparison.

Speaking of which, thats what I'm doing right now in a later section. Grinding for Krabble Back Moss is not fun. 20.1% drop rate and nobody trades it. Yes I'm saving after each kill and reloading the chest but it doesn't make it fun. Doing it 5 times...ugh.

I find blue orb grinding far worse than any monster item, since you can just save and reload to not only reopen the chests, but get more chests to try each time by killing more monsters. I need heart peaches :(

I am pretty sure you get
monado eater there...
monado armor is a very simple quest in hidden village without much groundwork

You're right, I had those backwards for some reason. Also fix your spoiler tag.

God damn it Zornica, fix your spoiler tag. I didn't read too far, though now I know that
I'll eventually be going to the Mechonis, which is pretty cool.
Yeesh, that's 2 close calls today. I'm gonna take a break from this thread.

Croc

Banned
Did you really get this far without ANY weapon drops for dunban?
practically, if not, all weapons on mechonis are anti mechon. not having one by this point is next to impossible. If you really didn't get a single one, go through agniratha, the factory or halls and kill some unique monsters, you will find plenty of new weapons, and all of them are anti mechon. you also could look for the hidden trading post in mechons halls (its near the scar)

No, I have some of those. They are just (as far as I know) weaker than the regular ones. Up until now Shulk never had a problem with that buff so I never bothered switching out for those as I also enjoyed the damage buff. I was just annoyed that suddenly he became so bad at doing so.

Most of the problem came from his AoE attack though, and not so much
Dunban's
weapon choice.

Also; this.

I never understood why there wasn't a button for that as it seems to be used more than other things there are buttons for. And even if not it still seems pretty important.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
to my defense: if I am quoting a spoiler taged question, and my answer starts with a broken spoilertag, it should be a clear sign to stop reading now ;)

There's a userscript that adds it.

God damn it Zornica, fix your spoiler tag. I didn't read too far, though now I know that
I'll eventually be going to the Mechonis, which is pretty cool.
Yeesh, that's 2 close calls today. I'm gonna take a break from this thread.

To be fair though, I figure that's ultimately kind of obvious. I don't really think any locations are truly spoilery, save for maaaybe one. And even that one is sort of debatable.

No, I have some of those. They are just (as far as I know) weaker than the regular ones. Up until now Shulk never had a problem with that buff so I never bothered switching out for those as I also enjoyed the damage buff. I was just annoyed that suddenly he became so bad at doing so.

Most of the problem came from his AoE attack though, and not so much
Dunban's
weapon choice.

I think the best ones you get aren't weaker, they'll be the best weapons you have at that point. It's hard finding things 3 slot versions of those though.

Ugh, is there a way to link YouTube videos without having them pop up on NeoGAF mobile? This is the second time someone has posted an endgame video that I've had to quickly eye-dodge.
Let's test:
http://youtu.be/V4vCEHpv6Hg
Does that embed? What about this?

I find blue orb grinding far worse than any monster item, since you can just save and reload to not only reopen the chests, but get more chests to try each time by killing more monsters. I need heart peaches :(
Thanks for reminding me of the rainbow slugs...apparently collectibles do respwan using save+load but they take 90 seconds :S
Edit: Just tested. Its true.

Croc

Banned
I think the best ones you get aren't weaker, they'll be the best weapons you have at that point. It's hard finding things 3 slot versions of those though.

Actually yeah I went back and checked out my weapons and I had a
Machina Blade III
which was actually slightly better than my other weapon. Guess I just hadn't been paying attention to the drops I was getting, whoops.

I have wondered that as well. I've been on several forums that had spoiler buttons; I can't imagine it's that hard to implement. And I know, I guess my eyes skipped over that or something... I didn't realize I was reading a spoiler until I got to the part I mentioned. :S

To be fair though, I figure that's ultimately kind of obvious. I don't really think any locations are truly spoilery, save for maaaybe one. And even that one is sort of debatable.
Yeah it wasn't a huge spoiler or anything (maybe it was, but I didn't read past the part I mentioned), though it was big enough to make me wish I hadn't seen it. Not the end of the world though. I am just very spoiler-cautious for this game — probably more so than any other RPG I've played — because I am really enjoying the story.

Let's test:
http://youtu.be/V4vCEHpv6Hg
Does that embed? What about this?
Heh, looks like they both do. Oh well. :|

Are all of these timed quests in Alcamoth (Windia) worth doing? I hate running back and forth to find out for this guy if these two girls like him, and not being able to find out where they are.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm 63 hours in and there's still things I dont have a good grasp of yet. I think one of my biggest problems is that so much happens during battle and I'm trying to focus on what my character is doing and what arts to pick that I really haven't got a proper feel for being as effective as possible in combat whether offense or defense or working with the other characters. I'm getting better now that new mechanics aren't being thrown at me every five minutes, but its been a bit of learning curve for sure.

I'm usually not the type that likes farming items and whatnot, but I'm pretty addicted to it in Xenoblade. I think its cuz I'm used to games like FFXII and whatnot that have ridiculous drop rates of like 0.5% or less for RARE monsters and crap. That shit was just stupid. But 20% drop rate is acceptable.

Are all of these timed quests in Alcamoth (Windia) worth doing? I hate running back and forth to find out for this guy if these two girls like him, and not being able to find out where they are.
Whether a sidequest is worth doing is dependent on your current level and how much of a completionist you are. If you're struggling with the enemies in that area then they're definitely worth doing as you get good XP from them. If you're adequately or over-leveled, then its down to whether or not you like doing all the bonus stuff. You've got a fair amount of time to do the quests(its not like they go away as soon as you advance the plot), so dont always feel you need to do everything at once. Do it now or do it later or dont do it at all. Rewards tend to be the same sort of gold/XP/weapon/armor/gem stuff just like any area.

All that questing paid off (arts spoilers in this image...)
Titan Stamp won't be bothering me...it still managed to kill Shulk once as it hit right as the armour wore off :lol:. It didn't usually use it so early on in the fight mind.

There was a map of Alcamoth NPCs posted a while back. I think it was reposted a page or two ago.

As for the timed quests I had the most fun with the Preparing for Adventure series (and its end point
Adventurers in Peril
) and the pollen series in the frontier village (which links to this location).

And also registering "A Neccessary Upgrade" (I think it requires "The Deciphering Machine" to have been cleared) if you have Riki in the lead while registering it...the dialogue exchange was incredible (a sample).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So grinding for everything, fuck that. I just downloaded someone's 120+ hour save file on GameFaqs with everything perfected. Going to enjoy this New Game+ run through murdering everything in sight, yahoo!

raven777

I am not that far in the game but my inventory for materials is already full.

Can I just sell all the materials except the ones with ! mark?

Top Bottom