• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Mobile Users: Go into the preferences menu and make sure embed youtube is off(or on.)

v4JnfwAp

Well I'll be damned. Thank you kind sir.

Zornica

Banned
I am not that far in the game but my inventory for materials is already full.

Can I just sell all the materials except the ones with ! mark?

sort by price, sell only the cheapest materials (only ones with small pouch icons) on the last page without a ! or a *

raven777

sort by price, sell only the cheapest materials (only ones with small pouch icons) on the last page without a ! or a *

Ok thanks.

Just another question. I heard agility is the most important. Just wondering which should be preferred between ether defense and physical defense.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok thanks.

Just another question. I heard agility is the most important. Just wondering which should be preferred between ether defense and physical defense.

Quite honestly I ignored both defenses, and just paid attention to only Agility. There are very few encounters where you'll notice "Gee I should upgrade my ether/physical defence". Whatever armour your're wearing that has good agility should have good enough defence as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok thanks.

HP first since more HP means you can take more of either. If you have slots left and want to use one of those, I'd just use physical defense, since 1) I prefer light armor which has worse physical defense anyway and 2) you'll run into more strong physical based enemies than ether based ones for the majority of the game.

Do avoid putting all purpose gems in valuable weapon slots though! You only get 3 of those, and offensive/weapon gems are the ones that will really make a huge difference. Significantly more than armor/defensive gems and most all purpose ones (except Agility especially).

AniHawk

god damn (extreme late game spoilers)

went in with reyn, shulk, and melia as i was trying to boost affinity between them while fighting lorithia. they held their own a decent amount of time, but got their asses handed to them before ever dealing any real damage.

went in with fiora, melia, and riki, and murdelized the lot of 'em. well, the first time i got shoved in the fucking corner and my allies couldn't come to my aid as i was unconscious in the poison water so i got killed that first time, but the second time it was a good ol' fashioned ass-kicking. final cross took care of pretty much everything, and by the time it was done, i'd be ready to set up another chain attack to give fiora her haste thing. my god she's a beast.

melia's really good too. i was surprised the entire team worked despite the lack of healing (although fiora healed herself 145 with every double attack she landed).

is there any way to get a jack dagger with 3 empty slots at this point in the game? i'd love to put that haste v gem in there next to her two double attacks.

RagnarokX

god damn (extreme late game spoilers)

went in with reyn, shulk, and melia as i was trying to boost affinity between them while fighting lorithia. they held their own a decent amount of time, but got their asses handed to them before ever dealing any real damage.

went in with fiora, melia, and riki, and murdelized the lot of 'em. well, the first time i got shoved in the fucking corner and my allies couldn't come to my aid as i was unconscious in the poison water so i got killed that first time, but the second time it was a good ol' fashioned ass-kicking. final cross took care of pretty much everything, and by the time it was done, i'd be ready to set up another chain attack to give fiora her haste thing. my god she's a beast.

melia's really good too. i was surprised the entire team worked despite the lack of healing (although fiora healed herself 145 with every double attack she landed).

is there any way to get a jack dagger with 3 empty slots at this point in the game? i'd love to put that haste v gem in there next to her two double attacks.

If you want to fight the high level monsters without certain hard to get gems, get used to using Melia, Riki, Sharla.

Omzz

My god this 2nd half of the game is getting kind of boring.

not really liking the mechonis part of this game at all. the whole time i'm pretty much going somewhere and pressing some buttons and going on forward. I'm at that capital now, and guess what? more switches which I need to activate to move on. Talk about being redundant. Is it like this the rest of the way?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
My god this 2nd half of the game is getting kind of boring.

not really liking the mechonis part of this game at all. the whole time i'm pretty much going somewhere and pressing some buttons and going on forward. I'm at that capital now, and guess what? more switches which I need to activate to move on. Talk about being redundant. Is it like this the rest of the way?

Yes and no. It's like that for the rest of your time on
Mechonis
but you're almost done with that. Some of the other areas you'll come across are tedious but for different reasons. The story sections in the second half are kind of a slog so that's why I enjoyed my time with the sidequests and big game hunting.

Utako

Banned
I fret to think how much insane cash they could have made off this game through microtransactions.

We like to poke fun at Nintendo's weak online strategy, but in this case it probably really hurt a developer that deserved to make more money for their effort. Regardless of what your opinion on microtransactions, the latter point is generally agreed upon.

Croc

Banned
Does anyone happen to know how I get (skill tree spoilers)
the quest for Riki's 4th skill tree?

I have 4 star affinity with Central Bionis and have completed all the prereq's, but I can't find anywhere online that shows where I get the actual quest and after searching for awhile in the game can't seem to find it myself either.

Hiltz

Does anyone happen to know how I get (skill tree spoilers)
the quest for Riki's 4th skill tree?

I have 4 star affinity with Central Bionis and have completed all the prereq's, but I can't find anywhere online that shows where I get the actual quest and after searching for awhile in the game can't seem to find it myself either.

Make sure you've completed the prerequisites:

Prison Island cleared
Medical Advancements OR Let's Make Fillings!
Healing the Healer
Legendary Nopon Charm
Mislabeling Problem

I think you then need play as Riki and talk to
Dabidabi in Frontier Village at the Chief's Residence location to unlock the 4th skill tree quest.

So I know I got a little upset yesterday because of that spoiler, but last night I got to the point where it becomes really obvious that you're
going to the Mechonis
anyway, lol.

Man, the story definitely throws a lot of curveballs at you. There's so much going on; I'm loving it. I can't believe (BIG post-Prison Island spoilers)
that Fiora is alive! Well, kinda. It looks like she's had her memory wiped or something. And that Metal Face Mechon is obviously the douchebag with the claw weapons who deserts Dunban in the opening scene. And WTF is up with that giant? I expected him to be released and then fuck the Mechons up like a boss, but then it turns out that he forged the Monado and upgrades it for you, and then all of the sudden HE GETS A GIANT SPEAR THROUGH HIS STERNUM. But then he pulls an Obi-Wan Kenobi and is still able to communicate after his death. And then there's that shady conversation between him and Alvis or whatever the fuck that seer's name is. And also the weird way that the Fiora Mechon didn't seem evil like the other ones, and was pleading with the giant for something. Could it be that... the Mechon aren't as bad as we thought? (Please don't actually answer this for me.)
Aaahh! This is why I take the story slowly; there's a lot to digest!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I know I got a little upset yesterday because of that spoiler, but last night I got to the point where it becomes really obvious that you're
going to the Mechonis
anyway, lol.

Man, the story definitely throws a lot of curveballs at you. There's so much going on; I'm loving it. I can't believe (BIG post-Prison Island spoilers)
that Fiora is alive! Well, kinda. It looks like she's had her memory wiped or something. And that Metal Face Mechon is obviously the douchebag with the claw weapons who deserts Dunban in the opening scene. And WTF is up with that giant? I expected him to be released and then fuck the Mechons up like a boss, but then it turns out that he forged the Monado and upgrades it for you, and then all of the sudden HE GETS A GIANT SPEAR THROUGH HIS STERNUM. But then he pulls an Obi-Wan Kenobi and is still able to communicate after his death. And then there's that shady conversation between him and Alvis or whatever the fuck that seer's name is. And also the weird way that the Fiora Mechon didn't seem evil like the other ones, and was pleading with the giant for something. Could it be that... the Mechon aren't as bad as we thought? (Please don't actually answer this for me.)

All i'm gonna say is
nothing at all. :p

xandaca

going to the Mechonis
anyway, lol.

Just wait until you get to the ending. It's gloriously bonkers.

raven777

Just finished
Prison Island part and got to the snowy place (forgot the name) The story is getting interesting and battle is fun using Melia. Majority of the areas looked beautiful and huge, but the snow area is really dull so far. I don't think I can finish this game anytime soon though, since Diablo 3 is coming out next week.

Am I even half way in the story?

Just finished
Prison Island part and got to the snowy place (forgot the name) The story is getting interesting and battle is fun using Melia. Majority of the areas looked beautiful and huge, but the snow area is really dull so far. I don't think I can finish this game anytime soon though, since Diablo 3 is coming out next week.

Am I even half way in the story?
Valak Mountain would put you at about the half-way point, yes. And Valak Mountain is kind of similar to Satorl Marsh in that regard--kind of boring to look at during the day, but looks much better during the night. Of course, the Marsh is still the place that looks better, but night helps them both.

Cactus

Banned
I just finished the game after 50+ hours and I'm happy to say that it (mostly) lived up to the hype.

I like how the writers play with the standard
"fight for the future of humanity against an omniscient God"
JRPG storyline through somwhat original (in my estimation) twists and turns which range from subtleties to overall plot direction. With that being said, I do think there was some excess. Some of the cutscenes drag, and Shulk's characterization
slowly devolves into "typical annoying JRPG protagonist" by the end, despite the interesting things done with his character, story-wise.

Hiltz

I just finished the game after 50+ hours and I'm happy to say that it (mostly) lived up to the hype.

I like how the writers play with the standard
"fight for the future of humanity against an omniscient God"
JRPG storyline through somwhat original (in my estimation) twists and turns which range from subtleties to overall plot direction. With that being said, I do think there was some excess. Some of the cutscenes drag, and Shulk's characterization
slowly devolves into "typical annoying JRPG protagonist" by the end, despite the interesting things done with his character, story-wise.

Can't argue with that. I remember smiling a little when
Shulk was shot while sitting on Egil's mechon and starts convulsing on the floor as Zanza comes out.

Cactus

Banned
Can't argue with that. I remember smiling a little when
Shulk was shot while sitting on Egil's mechon and starts convulsing on the floor as Zanza comes out.

Yeah, that was a great scene. I thought
Dickson
was a well written character overall. The scene where
he lights a cigarette and walks away so he can die, in a sense, on his own terms,
was also a great one.

This game is so good. I've already put 40 hours into it but feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I have a question. I'm currently
releasing the seals to get to Prison Island. I've heard that there is a point where you can't do some of the side quests once you reach it. Am I about to hit that point? Should I hold off on going to Prison Island?

burgerdog

This game is so good. I've already put 40 hours into it but feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I have a question. I'm currently
releasing the seals to get to Prison Island. I've heard that there is a point where you can't do some of the side quests once you reach it. Am I about to hit that point? Should I hold off on going to Prison Island?

Alcamoth quests? You're about 6-7 zones away, plenty of time to complete them.

Hiltz

I don't think there's any quests you can miss out on before the place you're heading to next.

Is there a fast way to warp back to zones? short of going to the nearest map point and running from there? Ive not made a gem since the first chance you get and im now in the marsh..

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a fast way to warp back to zones? short of going to the nearest map point and running from there? Ive not made a gem since the first chance you get and im now in the marsh..
Its in the OP. Go to the map in the menu instead of the minus shortcut and you can select an area.

Am I getting near that point?
I'm on the Fallen Arm and just met the village chief.
Getting closer, but you still have a few areas yet. Basically, don't worry until you get to a place called Agniratha. Once you actually reach there though, then it would probably be a good idea to start doing any timed Alcamoth sidequests you haven't done yet, though you have until the area that comes just after it to do them. So basically, you can put it off until after you get to and finish that place, but once you do, you'll have to do them before heading off to the place that comes afterwards.

I'm in the factory at the moment and it's boring me to death. When will the game get interesting again?
Pretty much, things start getting very interesting again near the beginning of the next area when some interesting revelations are made. Then it temporarily gets a bit boring again as you activate just a few last switches and such, but after that, it starts getting extremely interesting and pretty much stays that way all the way until the end.

AniHawk

reached the 100 hour mark tonight. going to spend another night or two exploring and finishing up colony 6 (only one area left to get to lvl 5 now). the game just told me i am standing right in front of the endgame right now, so i'll make sure to check out stuff i missed first. should beat the game under 110 hours clocked, i'm guessing.

To the person who posted the tip about once initiating a chain attack your HP can't drop to zero (i.e. an attack which would kill will leaves you at 1HP instead) if attacks hit you before the chain attack begins. Thanks for that.

Just had an epic showdown with level 59 unique
Destroyer Salvacion
. About 20% health left it does its area attack which would have wiped the entire party. Right at last moment (vision warned me) set off chain attack leaving entire party at 1HP. Then went on to wipe out the unique during the chain attack.

Also the loot first try was Advanced Magnum Charge skill book. Yeah Reyn time...
Also, Melia gets her weapon upgrade since ages...well the Hi
gh Entia tomb
:lol: (which was the last time I got a 3 slotted weapon).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
To the person who posted the tip about once initiating a chain attack your HP can't drop to zero (i.e. an attack which would kill will leaves you at 1HP instead) if attacks hit you before the chain attack begins. Thanks for that.

Just had an epic showdown with level 59 unique
Destroyer Salvacion
. About 20% health left it does its area attack which would have wiped the entire party. Right at last moment (vision warned me) set off chain attack leaving entire party at 1HP. Then went on to wipe out the unique during the chain attack.

Also the loot first try was Advanced Magnum Charge skill book. Yeah Reyn time...
Also, Melia gets her weapon upgrade since ages...well the Hi
gh Entia tomb
:lol: (which was the last time I got a 3 slotted weapon).

You're welcome!

And I played Melia the same way, I think she had the same weapon for around half the game (Eryth Sea area ->
Central Factory
) since she never does physical damage anyway, and I never went out of my way to get 3 slot staffs.

I've only done a few quests and killed one unique since I beat the game. Needed a bit of a break since I've put over 70 more hours into the game on top of the nearly 150 I put into it 7 or so months ago. Still intend to keep with my plan and take out every unique enemy though. 30 left, but I kind of hate how the game has a big level disparity at around level 80. Hardly any uniques in the high 70s and 80s.

emb

Passing all these hearts to hearts i cant see is starting to make me sad. Are all those in colony 9 really with other characters?

Yeah, I don't know what makes it tell you who's involved.

I saw one after I had all the characters, it just said "You can't see this yet", no details. Then one nearby told me who I needed and the affinity level, even though neither was in my party at the time, at least I think. Am I just crazy?

Leezard

I saw one after I had all the characters, it just said "You can't see this yet", no details. Then one nearby told me who I needed and the affinity level, even though neither was in my party at the time, at least I think. Am I just crazy?

you might have to pass a story event for some to happen.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Heart-to-heart moments are handled so clumsily. When it tells you you can't see it yet it can mean you either don't have at least one person in your party needed AND/OR haven't gotten to a specific story moment that is referenced in the conversation. The game doesn't tell you which it is.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some heart to hearts require you to be at a certain point in the story before they become available. I think those might not show the requirements until you get to that point, regardless of whether or not you have the required characters (even if you have all of them).

Beaten twice.

Exeunt

I'm at level 65 now 95 hours into the game; right now I'm infiltrating the
Central Factory
. I'm quite pleasantly surprised by the new areas;
the Distant Fingertip in the Fallen Arm has an absolutely amazing view and I stumbled upon what looks like the wreckage of Metal Face (though oddly intact). The interior areas of the Mechonis are a huge change from the rest of the game and the music is pretty great too
. I also got my first
Advanced Art book from an enemy—for one of Sharla's Arts. Seeing as how I pretty much never use Sharla, that was a little disappointing
. On the other hand, I also received
the Monado Armour for Shulk
as a result of a quest I decided to do along my way and it seems pretty broken yet incredibly awesome.

As for other impressions, the fight with
Gadolt
was really fun—
it was so neat how you had to take cover to avoid his lasers. And of course once you actually make it to a safe area, there are enemies waiting there to wear you down while you can't auto-heal after the battle since Gadolt's always targeting you.
That was definitely a highlight of the last couple hours for me, and I hope there are more battles like that in the latter half of the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Central Factory
the Distant Fingertip in the Fallen Arm has an absolutely amazing view and I stumbled upon what looks like the wreckage of Metal Face (though oddly intact). The interior areas of the Mechonis are a huge change from the rest of the game and the music is pretty great too
. I also got my first
Advanced Art book from an enemy—for one of Sharla's Arts. Seeing as how I pretty much never use Sharla, that was a little disappointing
as a result of a quest I decided to do along my way and it seems pretty broken yet incredibly awesome.

Gadolt
was really fun—
it was so neat how you had to take cover to avoid his lasers. And of course once you actually make it to a safe area, there are enemies waiting there to wear you down while you can't auto-heal after the battle since Gadolt's always targeting you.
That was definitely a highlight of the last couple hours for me, and I hope there are more battles like that in the latter half of the game.

Yeah, that art is most definitely broken. On one hand you can level it up and any battle in the game becomes extremely easy. But you could just not worry about doing that and handicap yourself. There are only two arts I'd consider truly broken individually, and that is the more broken of the two!
You don't have the other one yet, it's for a different character.
Specifically, it is:
Final Cross.

And at the point in the game you're at, Advanced Art Books should be uncommon from unique enemies (every few kills against uniques will probably have a book, probably a bleh one though). Most of the ones you'd really want are very, very rare from enemies at that level though, so it's not really worth grinding for them. As you start fighting higher level unique enemies and even some higher level normal enemies, you'll start finding those books fairly frequently.

Croc

Banned
Central Factory
. I also got my first

Gadolt
was really fun—

Huh I was actually really annoyed with that battle. For some reason other enemies except the ones I was by would trigger so my other party members would be randomly running around. And once I got to the last set, the boss himself actually triggered so I was fighting the last group as well as the boss at the same time.

Exeunt

Yeah, that art is most definitely broken. On one hand you can level it up and any battle in the game becomes extremely easy. But you could just not worry about doing that and handicap yourself. There are only two arts I'd consider truly broken individually, and that is the more broken of the two!
You don't have the other one yet, it's for a different character.
Specifically, it is:
Final Cross.

And at the point in the game you're at, Advanced Art Books should be uncommon from unique enemies (every few kills against uniques will probably have a book, probably a bleh one though). Most of the ones you'd really want are very, very rare from enemies at that level though, so it's not really worth grinding for them. As you start fighting higher level unique enemies and even some higher level normal enemies, you'll start finding those books fairly frequently.

From the name it sounds like that's an Art for
---Fiora---
so it doesn't really surprise me that
she would have broken Arts. I believe I recently unlocked her skill tree that makes every double hit critical and combined with her Haste spell, it seems pretty clear that she is meant to be powerful. I just got Sword Drones I (or something to that effect) which is a 10-hit combo apparently; I don't know the DPS for it but that still seems a little extreme)

I wasn't really planning on grinding for Arts books at this point but thanks for letting me know it's not a good idea. I think the only "good" Art book I received at this point (aside from
the Monado Arts
of course) was
Summon Bolt
and I don't know why they gave that to me so early.
I don't really have a use for Battle Soul at this point in the game and I don't even remember what the other Art book was for which sort of speaks to its usefulness
. I've only found one book at this point but I've only tackled
the unique monsters in the Mechonis Fields and the one involved in a Surprise Quest in the Central Factory
so I guess I can expect to find some more (and better ones) moving forward. I'm guessing that some of the level 90s I've seen around are the carriers of such books, since their only other use would be for quests or
rebuilding Colony 6

Speaking of which, does anybody know how many (non-mutually exclusive) quests there are in the game? According to Google, there are
but that doesn't account for the ones that have multiple paths. I got the achievement for
300 quests completed
not too long ago and the quests are definitely thinning out at this point... but does anybody have an exact number or is it dependent on what paths are chosen and that sort of thing?

Huh I was actually really annoyed with that battle. For some reason other enemies except the ones I was by would trigger so my other party members would be randomly running around. And once I got to the last set, the boss himself actually triggered so I was fighting the last group as well as the boss at the same time.

I had my party members focus their attacks if an enemy was nearby or come to me if they were straying too far and getting in the range of
the lasers
; both options had them
behind a wall and out of Gadolt's range at all times
. I think I fought the boss at the same time as some normal enemies as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Should be
quests including different paths. That's how many are in the spreadsheet at least.

And that character you mentioned + Shulk are easily the most broken characters in the game if you know what you're doing. People talk about how powerful Melia is when you use her summons right, but those two, sheesh. Dunban and Melia are damn good too, but still not on the same level.

I want to see if there's a legitimately better party setup than
Shulk(main) with Melia rarely being subbed in for certain enemies, Dunban, and Fiora
. I really don't think there is though. No other party can compare to the DPS and support of that group without an insane amount of affinity coins for skill links. Would probably require 2 NG+ playthroughs.

Exeunt

Wow, so I guess I'm not too far off from completing all the quests—relatively speaking. Maybe about a third to go?

As for the characters and their relative brokenness, I'm definitely going to try out the party that you mentioned. I don't think I've used Dunban that much since
the end of Makna Forest
so I was thinking about subbing him in anyway which probably would have ended up with a party of
Melia, Fiora, and Dunban
by sheer coincidence but now I'm even more intrigued to see how that pans out. Shulk basically seems like an
auto-vision-cancel
at this point and is a lot of fun to play, but I think I've maxed out his affinity with everyone except Sharla at this point so it's less efficient to bring him out right now. Riki is another character who is a lot of fun to have on the team even if he probably isn't the best from a DPS standpoint and I've actually found his AI to be much more reliable than Sharla's when it comes to healing and support. I actually miss his quips when he's not in the party. Reyn felt like he was good for a while but then he fell by the wayside after I used Dunban to fill his role, and I don't think I've used Sharla for anything other than affinity-building purposes since I had four characters to choose from.

Croc

Banned
Speaking of that party of Shulk,
Dunban, and Fiora
, can anyone give me some Art loadout suggestions for the latter two? I'm not really the best at understanding how all of them will work together to benefit the most. Usually I just pick the physical Arts with maybe an agility boosting one of health recovery one.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of that party of Shulk,
Dunban, and Fiora
, can anyone give me some Art loadout suggestions for the latter two? I'm not really the best at understanding how all of them will work together to benefit the most. Usually I just pick the physical Arts with maybe an agility boosting one of health recovery one.

I would suggest experimenting with various loadouts to see what suits your style. Though I would suggest you make your party in the order you listed and make sure
Dunban has Steel Fist and Fiora has Cross Impact
. Then load up your players with Daze Up/Plus gems and watch your targets spend 90% of the fight face down in the dirt.

Top Bottom