• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenus 2: White Gold & The Precursors |Double OT| Ukrainian Open World FPSRPG Heaven

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
STOP RIGHT THERE. Answer these questions before proceeding.

1) When someone mentions Fallout: New Vegas, do you respond by complaining about the bugs?

2) Do you think Crysis and Metro 2033 have bad art and animation?

3) Were you baffled by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and unable to figure out what you were supposed to do?

4) Is Uncharted 2 your favorite video game of all time?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, LEAVE THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY. If not, proceed:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whitegoldprecursorsot01.jpg

Let's get to the point: what are these games and why should I care?

White Gold and The Precursors are open world FPS-RPGs. White Gold is sort of one part STALKER (quest structure, loot), one part Deus Ex (character advancement), and one part Just Cause 2 (open world), in a setting reminiscent of Far Cry. The Precursors is in the same basic vein, but in a sci-fi setting with interplanetary travel (!), letting you hop on a space ship and fly to different exotic worlds, and even have space ship battles along the way.

Yeah, but even those hundred million dollar open world games like RDR end up being shallow, unfulfilling experiences after the initial sense of awe wears off. How does this obscure Ukrainian dev team manage to succeed where "AAA" fails?

By being unapologetically ambitious and having no quality assurance to speak of whatsoever. From patch notes:

-Grenades explode before NPC die

Yes, prior to being patched, grenades were exploding after NPCs died from the grenade's explosion-as-yet-to-occur. Expect jank. Expect an amateurish localization. Gamers who can't be assed to deal with bugs or scripting errors or potential troubleshooting need not apply.

I buy all my "AAA" games for five bucks on Steam these days. How much do these obscure, eccentric, esoteric, janky Ukrainian games cost?

$30 each at GamersGate.

Xenus 2: White Gold
The Precursors

Don't hit the back button just yet. These games are large, and offer unique, worthwhile open world experiences. Did you buy $60 CODBLOPS just because you felt like you were supposed to get the biggest game of the year? You should feel obligated to offset that travesty here and now, then.

What's the sort of experience I'll actually have with these games?

I loaded up White Gold for the first time, and after the introductory sequence I found myself at a small seaside village. I started talking to some of the fisherman NPCs, and eventually received a quest to retrieve some sunken cargo from the bottom of the ocean nearby. I jumped into the water and started swimming. Once I got to the location, I made the dive, and when I reached the sea floor I noticed I had less than half of my oxygen limit remaining. Uh-oh. So I quickly loaded up the character advancement screen and selected faster swimming as my first perk, then picked up the cargo and swam back to the surface. Only minor bodily harm from beginning to drown.

Afterwards, elsewhere in the village I was given a quest from an old man to retrieve a vase some bandits stole from him. I traveled to their location at a mountaintop by a cliff, and the conversation about returning the vase didn't go too well, so we had to fight it out. I barely survived, since they had SMGs and shotguns and AKs and I only had a revolver and a grenade, but I was finally able to take them out with hit and run tactics. When I killed the last bandit my quest updated telling me that the quest vase fell off the cliff into the water below (several hundred feet down). I started the game with a parachute in my inventory, so, what the hell, I tried basejumping off the cliff. My parachute deployed, and I made circular movements until I got to the water. Then I dived to the sea floor, retrieved the vase, and the quest updated again: hostile paramilitary forces had spotted me, and they had a boat approaching nearby waiting for me to surface above. Fortunately for me I had the swimming perk from the first little adventure, so I stayed underwater and swam away to safety.

After climbing back onto land I was a full kilometer away from the old man in the village, so I started making my way back on foot. I found a paved road and started walking along it, and soon heard explosions and saw a government attack helicopter shooting missiles into the distance as it flew past me. As I walked further along the road I saw the exploded wreckage of a vehicle. And then another one. Both presumably destroyed by the helicopter with the off-screen explosions I heard.

I saw a hut in the distance. A literary man sat alone reciting Shakespeare, and his tropical hut was filled with bookshelves. He sent me on a sidequest to an entirely different island elsewhere on my world map.

That's about a twenty minute excerpt from my time with White Gold. Still scoffing at thirty bucks?

I downloaded White Gold from GamersGate and this shit doesn't work. What do I do?

If White Gold crashes on startup (this may end up being patched, but as of this writing the following may be necessary for the game to work): you may need to download a fixed .exe designed for the 1.0 Russian version of the game and replace your game's .exe with it for the game to no longer crash. WARNING: fixed .exes may be against the law in your country of residence, and may be hosted on unsavory websites that contain viruses, so look into this course of action at your own risk. This information is intended for legitimate purchasers only, who currently appear unable to play the game at all otherwise.

If White Gold's graphics are flickering: download and extract this archive -- http://www.mediafire.com/?adjz44z1zyz -- and put the folder in your main White Gold directory.

The Precursors started up without any troubleshooting and did not have any flickering, so you should be good to go there.

Wow these actually came out?I remember really looking forward to both of them for ages, following every bit of info I could about both of them....then I just kinda stopped.Will definitely pick them up methinks!

Been waiting for Precursors a while, but will only get it next year after spending way too much money already.
Too bad the team's most recent game seems to be a hidden object game, with cool art though.

Dennis

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Dennis is the official screen capper of neogaf :lol
The nice Precursors shots are Evilores.

I only got White Gold for now. I thought I would gve that game a go before deciding on Precursors.

The graphics of Precursors looks surprisingly good judging from those sceens.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I actually bought the russian version of Precursors from YuPlay a while back and installed the unofficial translation mod, I couldn't even patch it and I had crazy flickering that couldn't be solved. So this version from GamersGate is in English? It's a new official translation? It is patched to the latest version? Any problems with Ati cards, the game seems really awesome, even with all the flickering I played it for a good 2-3 hours and got so many quests from just the first area. I will buy it again if the flickering is fixed.

kodt

Banned
Great OT.

Also, I urge anyone interested in these games to check out Xenus 1 / Boiling Point, which is the prequel to Xenus 2 White Gold.

It is a great game. Like and open world Far Cry crossed with STALKER and Deus Ex.

Yes, these games are buggy. But they are worth it.

is Xenus 2 as hilariously buggy as the first? once they fixed the first i lost all interest. no i'm no joking. it felt like such an impossible world where anything could happen at any given time and it made it hilarious and surprising.

if it's not ridiculously buggy i think i'll pass.

for anyone that missed it in it's blissful original state read this review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_boilingpoint_pc

reading that again makes me very sad all over again that we lost K Gillen.

White Gold looks pretty. I'll have to remember that when I get my PC fixed, especially at a decent price like that.

What's the voice work like, if any? English or subs?

Impressions of Precursors? Is there stuff to do in space; get different ships, upgrade ships, trading, etc... How big are the planets? Are there lots of them?

Dennis

Banned
loganclaws said:
I actually bought the russian version of Precursors from YuPlay a while back and installed the unofficial translation mod, I couldn't even patch it and I had crazy flickering that couldn't be solved. So this version from GamersGate is in English? It's a new official translation? It is patched to the latest version? Any problems with Ati cards, the game seems really awesome, even with all the flickering I played it for a good 2-3 hours and got so many quests from just the first area. I will buy it again if the flickering is fixed.
Evilore haven't had flickering with Precursors as I understand it.

White Gold has flickering with ATI cards but the fix is in the OP and it works for me too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
loganclaws said:

Yes, both games are fully officially localized with (hilarious) English voice acting and full English text.

I have no idea whether it's patched to the latest version. I would hope so!

I have a Radeon 6970 and do not have any flickering with The Precursors. In White Gold, as mentioned in the OP, I applied a fix to successfully take care of the flickering in that game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
While I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need either of these games right now I'm sure my paper thin willpower will crack by the end of the day.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Confidence Man said:
Impressions of Precursors? Is there stuff to do in space; get different ships, upgrade ships, trading, etc... How big are the planets? Are there lots of them?

The first planet is HUUUUUGE, about 3 or 4 times bigger than say a zone in the Stalker games. I didn't even leave the first planet but there were so many quests that I collected it was insanely cool. The quests themselves were pretty unique, I remember one quest where a stinky camel-like animal was left alone in the middle of the market and an officer begged me to find its owner because he couldn't take it's stink anymore I ran around asking random people if they own that stinky animal...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Confidence Man said:

I've mostly been playing White Gold so far, which is why the OP is light on Precursors talk. Not many people in the English-speaking world have played the game yet so further impressions will be forthcoming. I have the feeling that Precursors might end up being the more memorable of the two games, though, when all's said and done. It just looks so ambitious.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Any chance these will hit other DD services? White gold looks fucking awesome, has that far cry 1 look to it and i love that.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Zachack said:
Were the quests more unique than STALKERs, ie less obviously randomly generated fetch stuff?

Very interested in the space stuff, too, although I can't help but think I've seen the graphics used in the overlay in some other game... Wing Commander? Freespace?

Definitely more unique than Stalker's random quests. Actually none of the quests I picked up (20+ in the first area after the prologue) were randomly generated. I don't believe there are any randomly generated quests in Precursors. Like I said, I never got a ship to leave the first planet due to flickering but I really really liked what I played and I know it's the kind of game that I thrive on, lot's of cool upgrades and skills, and because it is sci-fi it gives this breath of fresh air where every area can be very different/fanstastical unlike the majority of other open world games where it's either jungle or urban environment.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
DennisK4 said:

Forget about this guy, let's not derail the topic, I want to buy Precursors again but I'm worried I might have the same problems with the flickering, if someone else is willing to take the plunge (besides Evilore) with Precursors please report back if it runs without any technical issues.

kamspy

Looks right up my alley.

The FOV looks a little tight though. Is there a way to open that up a little bit? Config file maybe?

Dennis

Banned
loganclaws said:
Forget about this guy, let's not derail the topic, I want to buy Precursors again but I'm worried I might have the same problems with the flickering, if someone else is willing to take the plunge (besides Evilore) with Precursors please report back if it runs without any technical issues.
Please delete your quote of my post.

Dennis

Banned
The default mouse sensitivty is crazy high so that needs to be lowered in the options.

CrossFire X doesn't work....surprise, surprise.

Playing with the highest graphics settings (Very High) at 1600p the fps is all over the place - from 15 to 70.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
RE: my RDR comments, I'd rather not sidetrack this thread but since I'm pretty inflammatory towards mainstream AAA games in the OP I'll respond to the criticism.

No, I'm not praising these games and calling RDR hollow because I'm a too-hipster-for-mainstream indie bandwagoner. I was looking forward to RDR, picked it up day 1, and initially enjoyed it a great deal. But that enjoyment quickly faded after the initial ranch missions.

Everything after those initial missions is really awful. You have this group of ridiculous long-winded caricature psychopaths that Marsten tolerates to an epic degree for no apparent reason even after they continuously string him along and break their promises. Beyond that, the missions all end up being shooting galleries where, for example, after you're complicit in swindling a group of townsfolk, you escape with the fraudulent businessman and the entire town chases after you, and you kill all of the dozens of them as they chase you. What in the world? Every mission seems to consist of 15 minutes of agonizing banter with your psychopathic caricature of the moment, followed by either the same old shooting gallery chase sequence or some kind of terrible race with the barest thread of actual gameplay.

Crushingly disappointing after its strong opening.

Zachack

loganclaws said:
Definitely more unique than Stalker's random quests. Actually none of the quests I picked up (20+ in the first area after the prologue) were randomly generated. I don't believe there are any randomly generated quests in Precursors. Like I said, I never got a ship to leave the first planet due to flickering but I really really liked what I played and I know it's the kind of game that I thrive on, lot's of cool upgrades and skills, and because it is sci-fi it gives this breath of fresh air where every area can be very different/fanstastical unlike the majority of other open world games where it's either jungle or urban environment.
Could you ride a dinosaur like in the OP?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
loganclaws said:

Yeah, I can add that White Gold does not appear to have any randomly generated quests either. All of them have been hand-designed.

The devs say that White Gold has "over 450 missions" and Precursors has "over 350 missions."

I've completed, like, 10 missions in White Gold so far. :lol Two of which I described in the OP, both side missions.

Playing with the highest graphics settings (Very High) at 1600p the fps is all over the place - from 15 to 70.

In 1080p very high with 4x MLAA (via ccc) I'm getting....inappropriate framerates, like 30ish, but it's highly playable. Turning off AA I get 30-60, and mostly 60 if I turn the game down to high, but very high is working fine. This is on an i7 3.6ghz + 6970, so yeah, some folks may need to play on high depending on how the bad performance scales to weaker rigs.

I got mostly 60fps with the same highest settings in Precursors, though, but that's only testing the initial area (from the first precursors screen), I don't know if that'll hold true later on.

Zachack

EviLore said:
RE: my RDR comments, I'd rather not sidetrack this thread but since I'm pretty inflammatory towards mainstream AAA games in the OP I'll respond to the criticism.

No, I'm not praising these games and calling RDR hollow because I'm a too-hipster-for-mainstream indie bandwagoner. I was looking forward to RDR, picked it up day 1, and initially enjoyed it a great deal. But that enjoyment quickly faded after the initial ranch missions.

Everything after those initial missions is really awful. You have this group of ridiculous long-winded caricature psychopaths that Marsten tolerates to an epic degree for no apparent reason even after they continuously string him along and break their promises. Beyond that, the missions all end up being shooting galleries where, for example, after you're complicit in swindling a group of townsfolk, you escape with the fraudulent businessman and the entire town chases after you, and you kill all of the dozens of them as they chase you. What in the world? Every mission seems to consist of 15 minutes of agonizing banter with your psychopathic caricature of the moment, followed by either the same old shooting gallery chase sequence or some kind of terrible race with the barest thread of actual gameplay.

Crushingly disappointing after its strong opening.
With regards to the characters the game's overall theme is a direct attack on the glorification of "justified" violence in westerns. It's not Unforgiven-level but it also covered a lot more ground and genre conventions.

As for the core gameplay I'm not sure how you can praise STALKER and damn RDR for the reasons you listed. Or Risen. Or The Witcher. Or nearly any game ever made (although I have not played Pathologic which apparently goes the distance). Does White Gold or Precursor even do this?
In 1080p very high with 4x MLAA (via ccc) I'm getting....inappropriate framerates, like 30ish, but it's highly playable. Turning off AA I get 30-60, and mostly 60 if I turn the game down to high, but very high is working fine. This is on an i7 3.6ghz + 6970, so yeah, some folks may need to play on high depending on how the bad performance scales to weaker rigs.

I got mostly 60fps with the same highest settings in Precursors, though, but that's only testing the initial area (from the first precursors screen), I don't know if that'll hold true later on.
Eeesh. I'm running on a e8400 and a 4850 so I'm guessing White Gold may be out? Or do they seem like games like Crysis where ULTRAAAA will wreck a supercomputer but High still looks great and works on much weaker hardware?

Karak

I bought the Russian version of Precursers and installed the tran patch and I have to say its pretty gawd damn amazing.
Though the games can be buggy it is around the same level of Fallout NV and the ATI flashlight issue can be fixed in the Russian version with nothing more than a single file swap. The US version doesn't even need that.

Precursers is basically freelancer(a bit more complicated though) mixed with White Gold 1 in a future setting. To say the world is huge would be the understatement of the year. Entire planets to explore on foot, space battles, land battles, mission between planets, jet planes for ground missions, dune buggy wars, RPG skill system.

Despite the couple bugs the sheer volume, unique atmosphere, and general massiveness makes this a simple must buy.

Dennis

Banned
Karak said:
I bought the Russian version of Precursers and installed the tran patch and I have to say its pretty gawd damn amazing.
Though the games can be buggy it is around the same level of Fallout NV and the ATI flashlight issue can be fixed in the Russian version with nothing more than a single file swap. The US version doesn't even need that.

Precursers is basically freelancer(a bit more complicated though) mixed with White Gold 1 in a future setting. To say the world is huge would be the understatement of the year. Entire planets to explore on foot, space battles, land battles, mission between planets, jet planes for ground missions, dune buggy wars, RPG skill system.

Despite the couple bugs the sheer volume, unique atmosphere, and general massiveness makes this a simple must buy.
Thank you for the impressions.

I think I am going to play White Gold now on my ATI 4870x2 rig and then get Precursors when I migrate to my new Nvidia rig in january.

WARNING: PC IDIOT QUESTIONS FOLLOW

Because I know approximately rock all about graphics card and such, someone please tell me: is a ATI Radeon HD 4650 good enough to run White Gold?

Much thanks! It looks and sounds right up my street, so I'm eager to know.

Brannon

I... I like jank when it's totally expected, and it's totally expected here. I'm going to get one of these today, but tell me..

WHICH ONE (cuz I want them both :()?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Brannon said:
I... I like jank when it's totally expected, and it's totally expected here. I'm going to get one of these today, but tell me..

WHICH ONE (cuz I want them both :()?

Precursors is in space with 8+ worlds, White Gold is on earth in some sort of jungle settings. Mechanics are apparently similar in both according to EL, so I'd pick based on the theme you like.

Brannon

Stumpokapow said:
Precursors is in space with 8+ worlds, White Gold is on earth in some sort of jungle settings. Mechanics are apparently similar in both according to EL, so I'd pick based on the theme you like.

I see.

Well I'm getting a space overdose already with another playthrough of Mass Effect 2, so White Gold gets mah bucks.

Riding sharks.

Yes.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
DennisK4 said:
CrossFire X doesn't work....surprise, surprise.

Fuuuuuuu... I have 2xHD5850. Have you tried renaming the exe file to something else? Try oblivion.exe, fear.exe, crysis.exe those three usually show some result.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Green Scar said:
WARNING: PC IDIOT QUESTIONS FOLLOW

Because I know approximately rock all about graphics card and such, someone please tell me: is a ATI Radeon HD 4650 good enough to run White Gold?

Much thanks! It looks and sounds right up my street, so I'm eager to know.

It's hard to say. I'll load up the game, un-vsync and turn down the settings to see what sorts of framerates I get. Should be able to extrapolate a bit with that.

EviLore said:
It's hard to say. I'll load up the game, un-vsync and turn down the settings to see what sorts of framerates I get. Should be able to extrapolate a bit with that.

Thanks! After I posted that I was worried that I'd have to buy and see for myself, which for obvious reasons I don't want to do. My PC can play Valve's stuff and stuff like Fallout 3 on high settings without any fuss but I need to tune it down a little for, say, Just Cause 2, so I'm never quite sure whether brand new stuff will run or not.

EDIT: VVV Yay, great. Welp, looks like I'll have to remember this come end of January. Thanks EviLore

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Test results. 1080p, AA off. Camera pointed at a lush jungle scene typical of the game.

Very high: 45 fps
High: 92 fps
Medium: 112 fps
Low: 185 fps

Comparison screenshots:

Very high
Low

Games looks totally fine on low settings and runs well, so you guys with modest rigs should be good to go.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Precursors gameplay video

Shows off air vehicle exploration, dune buggy driving, walking through a large quest hub town, and space combat.

Seriously, compare that to driving the Mako on a palette-swapped planet in Mass Effect 100 times.

What are your OC's at EL?

i7 @ 3.6ghz, 6970 stock.

Top Bottom