• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenus 2: White Gold & The Precursors |Double OT| Ukrainian Open World FPSRPG Heaven

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, I'm buying it. 15$ total won't hurt my wallet (yuplay.ru). I tolerated games with worse writing in the past, so I'll be able to enjoy these. I hope they don't use starforce :lol

Brannon

At the very least, somebody should post the fixed .exe on rapidshare or megaupload or something of that nature. There's piracy, then there's not being able to play a game you just bought.

Karak

Zenith said:
What game is Precursors closest to in terms of space combat? Do you get to go up against capital ships?
Starlancer, or Freelancer but at times a bit more complicated and at other times more shallow.
Capital ships...not so much as say the X series of games. But some baddies have very large ships yes.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Thanks for the head's up, I love janky, esoteric, Euro-Russian-dev'd games.

I'll probably just buy both, and start with Percusors.

Karak

_tetsuo_ said:
At 1080p I'm getting 25~ fps at the initial conversation with the first NPC :(
Ya. Both the games show and do an incredible amount of stuff behind the scenes, add that to optimization that is probably around Osidian levels and you can get some low FPS. The good thing is both games look damn good on low settings.

One thing you will find is an insane amount of things occuring around you, battles, discussions, traveling and so forth. It can kill a good GFX card, even if they had GREAT optimization...even though they don't.

Zachack

Karak said:
Ya. Both the games show and do an incredible amount of stuff behind the scenes, add that to optimization that is probably around Osidian levels and you can get some low FPS. The good thing is both games look damn good on low settings.

One thing you will find is an insane amount of things occuring around you, battles, discussions, traveling and so forth. It can kill a good GFX card, even if they had GREAT optimization...even though they don't.
Would you say this is more or less true in Precursor?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Karak said:

It's the optimization. With very high settings I'm getting 25-40 frames and my CPU nor GPU never get over 60% usage.

Man, these games looks rad as hell!

My computer, a paltry Core Duo 3.2 with a GTX260 is going to get slayed by these though :(

I want this so bad, but $30 for a 2008 game is a little steep. I probably would have caved by now if not for today's Steam deals violating my bank account.

Is Boiling Point: Road to Hell available anywhere?

elbkhm

So, GamersGate lists the requirements for both of these as:

* AMD Athlon XP 3000
* 1 GB RAM
* GeForce 6600 GS 128 MB

But based on what I'm hearing in this thread, that can't be right, can it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
elbkhm said:
So, GamersGate lists the requirements for both of these as:

* AMD Athlon XP 3000
* 1 GB RAM
* GeForce 6600 GS 128 MB

But based on what I'm hearing in this thread, that can't be right, can it?

What you're hearing in this thread is a bunch of people talking about their peformance with everything cranked to max. Check Evilores post about performance to see how well it scales down on the lower detail settings.

Brannon

Got White Gold running. It plays decently enough, but even though the music plays, there are no sound effects. Is there a way to fix this? Google's got nothing for me so far.

EDIT: figured it was me alt-tabbing out that cut the sound, or if any higher priority programs activate while White Gold is playing. Easily rectified.

Oh. these look right up my alley. I had never heard of them before, thanks:)

edit: after a 20 minute struggle with verified by visa (seriously, wtf? it's broken as hell) i found the "enrol later" button and white gold is downloading now.

_tetsuo_ said:
This is truly open world. You are dropped onto the dock and told go basically.
hehe yeah, although a lot of vehicles are locked so you can't really go anywhere you want right off, and kind of have to explore that first island. it's too bad they felt the need to add the crappy turret intro though, just a cutscene and starting straight from the dock would be better

edit: also, very good thread. nice work evilore. these games definitely deserve the attention.

Ceebs

For others wondering about how it runs:

I played the Russian version of White Gold earlier this year with the translation patch. I ended up running the game on high and generally got 30+fps most of the time with an X2 550 and a 4870 at 1440X900. Really enjoyed the game despite the untold amounts of jank.

I am thinking about grabbing Precursors but would love to hear how it compares to White Gold first.

So I'm home from work and finally have the chance to look at screenshots of both games. HOLY SHIT @ Precursors, looks like it's exactly what I've been looking for in a sci-fi shooter. Some of the environments look great. I'm compelled to just order both...

Fuck it, got my grades back, great turnout, Christmas Eve tomorrow, I'm jumping right in on both, they look so cool and will keep me busy over break.

I just realised something, I don't think these are patched. I tried applying the russian 1.1 patch to xenus2 and it seems to work fine. so far. although it changes the text back to russian (not the sound), the russian text is the file called resource.qrc in the root game folder.

so, if anyone wants to try this just backup the whole game folder (or just the resource.qrc if you want to take the chance on that hehe), apply the russian 1.1 patch* (http://www.filefront.com/12299541/xenus2_patch11ru.zip/), apply the nodvd crack again and copy the resource.qrc file from the backup folder.

*the patch installed itself into a White Gold folder inside game directory for me, so you might have to move files from that folder back into the game folder itself.

wheeeee pc games :-D

edit: oh no, might not work with precursors. at all.

Sinatar

Sinatar said:
While I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need either of these games right now I'm sure my paper thin willpower will crack by the end of the day.

So yea, I'm weak. I bought both.

EDIT: Is it normal for Precursors to not have a product key? Gamersgate gave me one for Xenus but not Precursors.

Grayman

Evilore makes the best threads and this:
Afterwards, elsewhere in the village I was given a quest from an old man to retrieve a vase some bandits stole from him. I traveled to their location at a mountaintop by a cliff, and the conversation about returning the vase didn't go too well, so we had to fight it out. I barely survived, since they had SMGs and shotguns and AKs and I only had a revolver and a grenade, but I was finally able to take them out with hit and run tactics. When I killed the last bandit my quest updated telling me that the quest vase fell off the cliff into the water below (several hundred feet down). I started the game with a parachute in my inventory, so, what the hell, I tried basejumping off the cliff. My parachute deployed, and I made circular movements until I got to the water. Then I dived to the sea floor, retrieved the vase, and the quest updated again: hostile paramilitary forces had spotted me, and they had a boat approaching nearby waiting for me to surface above. Fortunately for me I had the swimming perk from the first little adventure, so I stayed underwater and swam away to safety.
sounds like the most awesome thing ever.

..but I already have The Witcher, Risen, and STALKER to play so much more of.

Karak

Zachack said:
Would you say this is more or less true in Precursor?
Less so in Precursers. It seems to be the more solid of the 2 when it comes to bugs. IF it runs, your usually good. Sometimes, with White Gold 2 you have various things still bugging out and worse optimization.

Danneee

Ohh, I've been waiting for Precursors, to hell with my ginormous backlog. Will it run well on a laptop with a ATI 5650?

Sinatar said:
So yea, I'm weak. I bought both.

EDIT: Is it normal for Precursors to not have a product key? Gamersgate gave me one for Xenus but not Precursors.

Same here, funny thing is, I don't remember even needing my product key for White Gold...

I'm actually quite excited to play Precursors, seems like a really unique atmosphere.

Zenith

Banned
The steep hills and waterfalls on the first island have some nice surpirses. I think one of the missions includes rescuing someone's hat from the rapids.

May as well post my story from the other thread.

This one time, I witnessed this old guy fishing get a bite and get dragged into the water by his fishing pole. I walk further up the beach and there are these terrified divers who offer me a quest to find their companion who was trapped in an underwater cave by a sea monster. I walk further on and the dismembered body of the fisherman I saw gets spat out onto the beach. I take the divers up on their offer and swim out a klick (swimming is almost as fast as running) and dive down to the ocean floor, past a wrecked pirate ship and into a vast labyrinth of underwater caves packed full of giant clams filled with pearls and tresure chests with, well, treasure. I trade the treasure for a boat. I take the boat out to all the unexplored desert islands. I find a guerilla AA post. Kill them, rob their bodies and blow up the Tungusta. I carry on to another island. There's an abandoned prison with crucifed skeletons and evidence of a riot. I carry on to another island. Find a party of beautiful women sunbathing and playing volleyball. They're all rather snooty so I set fire to their giant yacht and steal their seaplane. I land the seaplane next to the Army tank proving grounds. I take a tank (we're friends) and drive around the oil fields blowing up oil derricks.

I'm pretty sure that once you complete the mission to get your first car, all vehicles are unlocked.

Sinatar

FYI I had the flickering issue in both Xenus & Precursors and the fix in the OP works for both games.

Bossman

Well, I just bought Precursors and discovered that it has quite many huge bugs so I guess the Gamersgate version isn't patched up to date.

I'm loving Precursors, wow. The jank is just a breath of fresh air, weird I know. I'm wondering though if there is suppose to be dialogue when you approach people and talk to them? I'm assuming not.

I also can't figure out why it won't let me turn on AA. Oh well, it seems like there are lots of possibilities for tweaking though, tons of INI files.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Alright so there is no way to patch the precursors to the latest version? I already have the russian version and don't want to double dip if this version can't be patched either.

loganclaws said:
Alright so there is no way to patch the precursors to the latest version? I already have the russian version and don't want to double dip if this version can't be patched either.
doesn't seem like it. it puts starforce back in there

Bossman

Here's what it says on an another forum

Universal extractor can be used to unpack the patch files (Patches-scrolls for example.) just avoid overwriting any file from 2010 in the main directory as those are the .dll's for the copy protection and the exe, not every fix is applied this way but most are covered although unfortunately for Xenus 2 game.dll is not.
(The extra folders for Xenus 2 update should be used as well minus the logo.avi video file.)

I guess you might be able to patch it if you just copy the correct files.

timkunedo

I answered yes to the last two in the OP. still interested though. screens look amazing and the precursor video was awesome!:D

mujun

I really want to get The Precursors but I'm not a PC gamer so I think I'll hold out till it gets a bit easier. Also not sure how it will run on my computer. I've got an AMD Athlon II X2 215 2.7GHz with 2 gig of ram and an onboard (256 or 512mb) graphics card.

Brannon

Crap, that sound effect bug where all the sound effects drop out but the music remains is back. Does anyone else have this problem in White Gold?

Bossman

Brannon said:
Crap, that sound effect bug where all the sound effects drop out but the music remains is back. Does anyone else have this problem in White Gold?

I have it in Precursors. Really annoying.

Bossman said:
I have it in Precursors. Really annoying.

I've got it in both and at this point I feel like A LOT of sound is missing? Are there suppose to be dialogues during talks with people? It's strange, and not sure what the issue is right now.

I wanted to like these games, but the developers simply went over their heads. I'm not the sort of person who picks on games for niggles like polish. Many of my favorite games would be called "flawed gems", ambitious yet lacking in certain areas. These two games just failed at the implementation of every single gameplay concept, though. The shooting mechanics feel like I'm in a 90s corridor shooter from hell, the graphics look like the work of a DeVry student project, the quests are incredibly uninspired, the "dialogue choices" are as meaningless as Bioware's, but without the competent writing.

Top Bottom