• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

vio

My home made ghetto dock:

sZhtRjb.jpg

lol

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
what did you buy?

Mario007

So according to the people at Esato XZ sold around 4.6 million units so far. If so this is freaking huge for Sony Mobile. That's half the number of last quarter's overall devices sold!

Yasir

So according to the people at Esato XZ sold around 4.6 million units so far. If so this is freaking huge for Sony Mobile. That's half the number of last quarter's overall devices sold!

Well deserved. Up and onwards now. Finally, a real contender to HTC and Samsung, they just need to bring it harder next time round.

I think sony should continue the strategy of flooding the market with low end high end big phones small phones for this year, especially since they have momentum. Then next year, drop that bullshit and lay it all on the line with one flagship device.

I think sony should continue the strategy of flooding the market with low end high end big phones small phones for this year, especially since they have momentum. Then next year, drop that bullshit and lay it all on the line with one flagship device.

I bought my little brother (11 y.o.) an Xperia Tipo because he wanted a smartphone real bad for about 80 euros. I expected it to be a laggy pos but to my surprise, the phone is buttery smooth. It takes longer to open apps and such, but the basic UI really, really is smooth. Great optimisation on Sony's part.

So, are people applying an extra layer of scratch-resistant screen protector on their Z/ZL?
I know there is already the anti-shatter layer...

Also, any recommendation on cases (ZL)?

So, are people applying an extra layer of scratch-resistant screen protector on their Z/ZL?
I know there is already the anti-shatter layer...

Also, any recommendation on cases (ZL)?

It's supposed to be a shatter proof screen protector. From the impressions I read online, it's not that scratch resistant at all. It scratches pretty fast apparantly (so does the screen). I myself will be double wrapping this bad boy, screen protector on top of screenprotector on front an back, and a case around it :p

Mario007

I had heard 5m shipped, so that could mean 4.6m sold through.
Wow Sony just found its Galaxy S. If they weren't releasing a H2 flagship then I'm sure XZ would get past 10 million no problem.

Btw can you provide the numbers shipped for T, S and Arc as a comparision so we'll be able to see the context?

Chinner

Banned
Noob questions, but should chrome be using 12% of my battery? Feel like chrome really drains my battery too quickly almost.

Media server took 13% too, and I don't think it even does anything. I've read other people have had problems.

Mario007

Noob questions, but should chrome be using 12% of my battery? Feel like chrome really drains my battery too quickly almost.

Media server took 13% too, and I don't think it even does anything. I've read other people have had problems.
Personally I always found chrome to be the least battery heavy browser on my phone, though I don't have XZ so it could be different on that phone.

Chrome sucks a lot of my battery as well, on Xperia P, when browsing a lot.

Media server drain is a bug, there should be a script to disable it.

noobie

Banned
In some forums i have read that Xperia Z has sold 4.6 million.. which is quite impressive and more than 50% of their last quarter shipment of smartphones..

Although i know there are quite a few short comings but i think if Xperia Z has done well as the first high end mobile for Sony and if they remove the short comings and do incremental improve of it they surely can become No 3 in smart phones.

I have two suggestions

- I wish they dont refresh design so quickly
- I wish they make do better branding of high end, mid end and low end mobiles.. instead of calling different alphabetical letters to each model randomly..

Wow Sony just found its Galaxy S. If they weren't releasing a H2 flagship then I'm sure XZ would get past 10 million no problem.

Btw can you provide the numbers shipped for T, S and Arc as a comparision so we'll be able to see the context?

Easily the best selling Sony Mobile phone. T/TX/TL has shipped just over 1m, S/SL/Acro S (discontinued) shipped just under 3m, Xperia P (disc.) under 500k, Sola (disc.) under 200k, U over 4m.

I'm not sure about Arc/Arc S, but considering that SEMC sold just 14m smartphones in that year I don't think it will have been very many. The mid-range devices from 2011 were much more popular. I think the Xperia Mini/Mini Pro were the best sellers of 2011 (as were their predecessors in 2010).

Easily the best selling Sony Mobile phone. T/TX/TL has shipped just over 1m, S/SL/Acro S (discontinued) shipped just under 3m, Xperia P (disc.) under 500k, Sola (disc.) under 200k, U over 4m.

I'm not sure about Arc/Arc S, but considering that SEMC sold just 14m smartphones in that year I don't think it will have been very many. The mid-range devices from 2011 were much more popular. I think the Xperia Mini/Mini Pro were the best sellers of 2011 (as were their predecessors in 2010).

Didn't Sony ship 33m last year? 2012 phones you counted add up to less than 9m, where's the rest? Tipos and other OEM stuff?

Mario007

Cool, thanks! So T can really be considered a bomba given the marketing and James Bond power behind it. I noticed that you haven't said that U was discontinued, that's a smart move by Sony. I've seen it being sold around 180 euros, which is a great price for the phone.

So XZ has pretty much made up half of all of 2012 Sony smartphone line-up sales. Very impressive.

Good for Sony. If they don't screw up, the Z could be their Galaxy S.

The only wat the Z could be Sony Galaxy S is if they name the Z's succesor (Q1 next year) Xperia ZII. But seeing as Sony will release multiple flagships this year, I don't see how that will work.

SRG01

Chrome is a pretty heavy browser. I actually get better battery life on my Nexus using Dolphin (marginal) or Opera.

I actually prefer Opera, but it doesn't play nice with WiFi sleep for some reason.

The only wat the Z could be Sony Galaxy S is if they name the Z's succesor (Q1 next year) Xperia ZII. But seeing as Sony will release multiple flagships this year, I don't see how that will work.

Honestly they should probably go for the unified flagship model that is dominating the high end of sales because consumer brand awareness is much easier when you make a sequel rather than changing the name significantly. Sony can easily make the Z "the" sony flagship that they pit against the Galaxy S series and iphone and do sort of side flagships like samsung does with the Note.

Mario007

Honestly they should probably go for the unified flagship model that is dominating the high end of sales because consumer brand awareness is much easier when you make a sequel rather than changing the name significantly. Sony can easily make the Z "the" sony flagship that they pit against the Galaxy S series and iphone and do sort of side flagships like samsung does with the Note.
From the looks of things they are running about half a year behind what they wanted to do. Xperia Z should really have been the Bond phone last year, it would have been even more amazing sales wise than it is now. The rumored 2H One Sony flagship should have been the single flagship for this year releasing in the summer.

From the looks of things they are running about half a year behind what they wanted to do. Xperia Z should really have been the Bond phone last year, it would have been even more amazing sales wise than it is now. The rumored 2H One Sony flagship should have been the single flagship for this year releasing in the summer.

If the One Sony ends up similar to what was in that rumor, it's still going to have a significant effect on Sony's position, especially with the momentum Z is generating.

Averon

I agree.
Sony needs to drop the confusing naming. I'd love to hear their logic in the naming of their Xperia phones. Do they really need to use every letter in the alphabet?

Mung

Releasing a Z2 would be a good move branding and momentum wise.
Or maybe the next flagship. But at some point, they should stick with it.
With the success of the Z, now is surely the best time to do it.

Mario007

If the One Sony ends up similar to what was in that rumor, it's still going to have a significant effect on Sony's position, especially with the momentum Z is generating.

I agree.
Sony needs to drop the confusing naming. I'd love to hear their logic in the naming of their Xperia phones. Do they really need to use every letter in the alphabet?

Honestly if One Sony is true then Samsung and even Apple will be beaten this year, due to their incremental upgrade thing that they have going on. I think Sony needs to name it as Z2. Sony seem to want to make a sub brand for their One Sony phone and what better sub brand than the one already created with Xperia Z. It would be real missed opportunity if they went with a different name (and damn right catastrophic if they decided to drop xperia altogether from One Sony) seeing how well Z is performing. I think even Sony are surprised at how great its working out.

Akira

Sony's H2 flagship code named Honami. It shouldn't be surprising as even as early as last year it was known Sony would be having 2 flagships for both semesters. Rumors have it as having 5-inch 1080p screen, 2.3 GHz S800, 2-3GB RAM, 3000mAh, 20MP camera with new sensor exclusive to One Sony, and IP57. It's said that Sony's other divisions will be helping with things like camera and optics.

Sony's H2 flagship code named Honami. It shouldn't be surprising as even as early as last year it was known Sony would be having 2 flagships for both semesters. Rumors have it as having 5-inch 1080p screen, 2.3 GHz S800, 2-3GB RAM, 3000mAh, 20MP camera with new sensor exclusive to One Sony, and IP57. It's said that Sony's other divisions will be helping with things like camera and optics.

It's also supposed to have a Walkman amp. That's a really killer combination.

M.D

Five Thousand And Ninety Nine US Dollars

Those specs sounds like a fan wishlist. Amazing if true.

Certinty

Woah, might hold off getting a Xperia Z for now.

I'm more excited for the Xperia phablet and the Cybershot phone.

Successors should be called Z2/ZL2, they're running out of letters in the alphabet. Xperia ZZ, ZA, ZZZ sound weird.

noobie

Banned

Exactly.. plus Xperia Z sounds good too.. unlike some other alphabets..
But i dont think Sony will make such a sane decision

Akira

I don't think the One Sony will be sold under the Xperia brand, Sony is apparently mulling a new high-end smartphone brand that will only release once a year a la iPhone. I'm not sure if creating a new subbrand is a great idea considering the momentum Sony has created with the Xperia Z. Then again Xperia is a Sony Ericsson creation, and it doesn't sound very Sony...

Top Bottom