• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Akira

If the Cybershot people, especially those who worked on the RX100, help out with this phone the photos should turn out great. Hopefully none of that Xperia Z shots looking better in burst mode crap.

Mario007

It's also supposed to have a Walkman amp. That's a really killer combination.
Exactly, having the walkman dedicated hardware in there and the optics and cybershot department putting their own custom hardware in is an easy win. It also looks like it'll be the first S800 phone, so it should blow all the competition away in benchmarks for at least half a year in the future.
I'm more excited for the Xperia phablet and the Cybershot phone.

Successors should be called Z2/ZL2, they're running out of letters in the alphabet. Xperia ZZ, ZA, ZZZ sound weird.
I think the cybershot phone is pretty much getting integrated in One Sony.
Exactly.. plus Xperia Z sounds good too.. unlike some other alphabets..
But i dont think Sony will make such a sane decision

I don't think the One Sony will be sold under the Xperia brand, Sony is apparently mulling a new high-end smartphone brand that will only release once a year a la iPhone. I'm not sure if creating a new subbrand is a great idea considering the momentum Sony has created with the Xperia Z. Then again Xperia is a Sony Ericsson creation, and it doesn't sound very Sony...
I think they were thinking about it but maybe now that they saw the brand awareness of Z (rumors are that they are fnding it hard to deal with the demand, I mean selling 4.6 million units and not even launching in the US is pretty damn amazing) they might go with Xperia Z2.

I actually think Xperia sounds very Sony-like, just like the Qriocity services it's a weird play on the pronounciation.
20mp sensor? lol how will that work out and NOT be shitty. Especially with sony's software.
It should be a 20mp sensor capturing 8mp images, btw.

We should probably have a new thread for One Sony, so as not to detract from Z :)

buhdeh

I remember my first CyberShot phone

sonyericsson-k800-00.jpg

Esato and phonearena but phonearena pretty much got their rumors from Esato.
just caught up on reading about it. Sounds like such a bad strategy business wise...I'm just not getting it. Assuming it is a brand in addition to the xperia z and all that. Unless they plan on having it replace everything, but even still it sounds like multiple phones. They need to just do 1 or 2 max and release once a year at different times. But xperia z/Zl coming out now, and then a few months later 2 completely different and much better phones are out, then what happens a few months after that?

spwolf

just caught up on reading about it. Sounds like such a bad strategy business wise...I'm just not getting it. Assuming it is a brand in addition to the xperia z and all that. Unless they plan on having it replace everything, but even still it sounds like multiple phones. They need to just do 1 or 2 max and release once a year at different times. But xperia z/Zl coming out now, and then a few months later 2 completely different and much better phones are out, then what happens a few months after that?

one sony will be 5-6 months at least from now, maybe more, and 8 months from the launch of Z... that Walkman and Cybershot rumor is crap, it wont happen.

One Sony is supposed to make all divisions do their part of the phone - so camera division doing camera, not just hardware, but new software codec will be supplied as well, etc, etc.

So anyone waiting for One Sony, it is like waiting for any "next" flagship".

Mario007

Well I think the subrand should still be under xperia, the way it is being described as something akin to GS brand,
one sony will be 5-6 months at least from now, maybe more, and 8 months from the launch of Z... that Walkman and Cybershot rumor is crap, it wont happen.

One Sony is supposed to make all divisions do their part of the phone - so camera division doing camera, not just hardware, but new software codec will be supplied as well, etc, etc.

So anyone waiting for One Sony, it is like waiting for any "next" flagship".
Yeah plus then the next flagship is supposed to come in middle of 2014, so we'll be moving to one flagship a year scenario.

Radec

I remember reading that those Cybershot and Walkman Xperia are fake.

I remember my first CyberShot phone

Thats good , but the directional stick was abysmal. My 2 sisters own those and both suffered the same fate. Like when you press up, it will either go left or right. Same thing happened to my W800i. :/

Either way, I'll be watching from a distance, maybe jump in next year if Sony manages to put all their strengths into one phone. I hope they keep growing though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sony's gotta fix the camera bugs that present on both the Z AND the ZL. Damn

it shouldn't take 3+ seconds to open the camera app on SD Pro

spwolf

Carphone Warehouse is currently listing the Xperia SP and Xperia L as coming soon (here and here) – and both should be available starting this month.

The British retailer doesn’t mention the handsets’ prices. However, others – like Clove and Expansys – suggest the Xperia SP will cost around £320 (€380), and the Xperia L around £240 (€284).

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/04/...xperia-l-to-be-launched-in-the-uk-this-month/

if they are out in April, thats very good... My local T-Mobile is advertising Z everywhere, and when these two arrive it will be slam dunk, Sony got you covered.

It should be a 20mp sensor capturing 8mp images, btw.

Sony are not working on pixel binning technology. They are working on a larger sensor for Xperia phones though, possibly a 1" type that is used in the RX100. It would be the largest sensor in any phone.

It won't be ready for 2013 though, the H2 phones are all going to use 13MP or 16MP without pixel binning, but with new camera software that allows for a NR=0 option.

vivftp

Awwe, I guess that means no xenon flash on a phone this year.

So zomg, according to your sources, what are the differences between the 2h flagship and the Z and ZL? Obviously there is the processor with the s800, and there is the camera info you mentioned. Anything else?

did every single reviewer on the plant lose the panel lotto? this is ridiculous!

Reviewers were sent early production units from the AAB range (W04-06), all of those used the JDI panel with ~ 500:1 contrast ratio. The final production (AAC after W07) units use a Sharp panel with ~1300:1 CR or a JDI panel with ~ 800:1 CR.

Chinner

Banned
yeah basically the viewing angles on the sharp screen are better, but they're still behind other competitors. so you're best just finding out for yourself and if its a deal killer for you personally then hey. doesn't bother me personally.

Danj

yeah basically the viewing angles on the sharp screen are better, but they're still behind other competitors. so you're best just finding out for yourself and if its a deal killer for you personally then hey. doesn't bother me personally.

I've looked at my Z from various different angles and I really can't seem to see this problem everyone's talking about.

Chinner

Banned
yeah i don't think there's a problem either and in day to day use i don't think it ever would be. but if you put it a strong angle then you do lose detail and its harder to read. this may bother people cause maybe in some instances this may actually effect them, or maybe they just care about the nerd bullshit and want THE BEST™ or maybe the actually believe the samsung/apple adverts and think crowds of people will actually go around them and gasp as they see that specific smart phone.

Akira

I had heard 5m shipped, so that could mean 4.6m sold through.

Just wondering, has there been another smartphone that sold that much without releasing in the US market? You've said before that Sony's plan is to make strides in the European and Asian markets in order to leverage their brand in the USA without carrier influence and that Nokia (or HTC?) is doing something similar, so I'm just wondering if any other phones have had a more successful launch without launching in the US. Another thing is whether those shipments include the ZL or not. I would guess that the ZL shipped less than 500,000 considering the number of its markets.

Keylow415

man i want the Z to come to the US. aside from the Iphone which i have. i want to upgrade my 4s and don't really want the 5s when it comes out.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've been following this phone for a while and decided today to make the jump...

...However it seems that there's a shortage of them in Taipei. I'm on a waiting list now. For how long I don't know, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

I've been following this phone for a while and decided today to make the jump...

...However it seems that there's a shortage of them in Taipei. I'm on a waiting list now. For how long I don't know, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

There is currently a worldwide shortage of Xperia Z, Sony completely underestimated demand so they are rushing to get more manufacturing capacity online.

Just wondering, has there been another smartphone that sold that much without releasing in the US market? You've said before that Sony's plan is to make strides in the European and Asian markets in order to leverage their brand in the USA without carrier influence and that Nokia (or HTC?) is doing something similar, so I'm just wondering if any other phones have had a more successful launch without launching in the US. Another thing is whether those shipments include the ZL or not. I would guess that the ZL shipped less than 500,000 considering the number of its markets.
The Galaxy S3 and original Galaxy Note did that so Sony is in good company with the Xperia Z.

Not sure if the figure includes ZL shipments, it's possible though.

Well Nokia are using WP so carriers are unable to customise the OS, it's one of the reasons they are struggling to gain traction in the US. Sadly, I think Sony and AT&T have had a complete breakdown in their relationship. Sony are being very obstinate about no carrier customisation so AT&T are now refusing to carry Sony phones outright. For now it is T-Mobile and possibly Sprint. If the devices are popular enough, AT&T will have to give way, but it could be late 2014 before we see another Sony phone on AT&T.

As for other premium Android phones to ship 5m without the US, GS2, GS3 and Note II. Xperia Z is joining a very select group here and Sony would do well to capitalise on the success. Xperia Z2 next year please!

What the hell is that supposed to do

Wireless charging pad.

Mario007

Not sure if the figure includes ZL shipments, it's possible though.

Well Nokia are using WP so carriers are unable to customise the OS, it's one of the reasons they are struggling to gain traction in the US. Sadly, I think Sony and AT&T have had a complete breakdown in their relationship. Sony are being very obstinate about no carrier customisation so AT&T are now refusing to carry Sony phones outright. For now it is T-Mobile and possibly Sprint. If the devices are popular enough, AT&T will have to give way, but it could be late 2014 before we see another Sony phone on AT&T.

As for other premium Android phones to ship 5m without the US, GS2, GS3 and Note II. Xperia Z is joining a very select group here and Sony would do well to capitalise on the success. Xperia Z2 next year please!

Wireless charging pad.
Any word on the branding of the One Sony phone? Given the XZ's sales they really should use its name again.

Jeels

Reviewers were sent early production units from the AAB range (W04-06), all of those used the JDI panel with ~ 500:1 contrast ratio. The final production (AAC after W07) units use a Sharp panel with ~1300:1 CR or a JDI panel with ~ 800:1 CR.

How do I check which screen I got?

burnfout

Received my Z today. I am so in love. What a screen.

Also compared to the Android Phone I used 2 years ago for work( A HTC ) this feels like a completely different beast.

Soooo what's the best way to get my iPhone contacts to my Z?

spwolf

Received my Z today. I am so in love. What a screen.

Also compared to the Android Phone I used 2 years ago for work( A HTC ) this feels like a completely different beast.

Soooo what's the best way to get my iPhone contacts to my Z?

so screen is good or what?

Enjoying my ZL so far.

Random thoughts:
Hardware wise, the design feels solid. I like the curved back much better than the Z, as it makes it easier to hold.

The screen looks great on anything with a black background, but it is a bit washed out on any white/grey backgrounds.

The viewing angle is indeed lackluster, but people are right that it wouldn't affect every day operation.
I do have problem viewing the track name of songs when I put the phone at the edge of the table though...

I cannot unsee the pixels on my older phones now.

burnfout

Holy shit how do you turn off the alarm on the Z.

Woke up with my new Z, could not for the life of me get the fucking alarm to stop, with my GF pissed off next to me haha.

Had to turn off the damn phone to stop the fucking ringing WTF!

SxP

Holy shit how do you turn off the alarm on the Z.

Woke up with my new Z, could not for the life of me get the fucking alarm to stop, with my GF pissed off next to me haha.

Had to turn off the damn phone to stop the fucking ringing WTF!

Near the bottom left of the screen should be a circle with an alarm icon. Slide it to the right to stop the alarm.

sammich

oh my god, i cant make up my mind

ZL or the HTC one...

Im going back and forth and back and forth. Both are available on rogers. I with the HTC one was back though. I rather a black phone.

Enjoying my ZL so far.

Random thoughts:
Hardware wise, the design feels solid. I like the curved back much better than the Z, as it makes it easier to hold.

The screen looks great on anything with a black background, but it is a bit washed out on any white/grey backgrounds.

The viewing angle is indeed lackluster, but people are right that it wouldn't affect every day operation.
I do have problem viewing the track name of songs when I put the phone at the edge of the table though...

I cannot unsee the pixels on my older phones now.

Go into the colour calibration settings and increase the saturation slightly, this will make stuff seem less washed out.

ameratsu

I currently have an unlocked nokia that I've had since 2009. I have always bought my phones unlocked, though prices for an unlocked ZL in Canada are >$700. I assume most people just buy these on contract? Is it basically pay up or go on contract for 3 years? Am I missing other options? Will the unlocked price drop significantly once new models come out?

Top Bottom