• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Marco1

Anyone jump to the Z from the iphone5 and regret it?
I have someone offering me a new Z for my ip5 plus £50.

Fezan

Just saw the facebok phone.one thing i loved about it was animations. previous sony had these kinds of animation but they are missing after ics updates dont know why ? they worked greatly with previously without any lag and those were not very fast phone.
also one thing i loved about Facbook phone was the message app which can float around other apps like small app .wish sony would implement something similar

MutFox

Banned
Well, looks like I'm gonna get a ZL...
What's the best case to get for it?

Any case coming out I should wait for?

Omlagus

Finally got my ZL. This thing is great! Definitely doesn't feel like it's a 5" screen phone in the hand.

Interesting video above. Hopefully I can do some actual screen measurements over the weekend to see how good it actually is.

Jeels

Finally got my ZL. This thing is great! Definitely doesn't feel like it's a 5" screen phone in the hand.

Yes, amazing build. I really can't tell how big the phone I'm holding really is.

Some dumb chick in one of my classes grabs my ZL and places it on her Galaxy Note and goes "Haha, I still win." Yes, you win in the gigantic block for a phone department.

Yes, amazing build. I really can't tell how big the phone I'm holding really is.

Some dumb chick in one of my classes grabs my ZL and places it on her Galaxy Note and goes "Haha, I still win." Yes, you win in the gigantic block for a phone department.

was she hot? what was your entrance to go for a coffee or something and talk about why bigger isn't always better... it's how you use it *wink* wink*

Radec

So removing the shatterproof plastic has it's pros and cons based from what I've read on XDA

+ Looks clean, no sony logo
+ Less static (Less dust/particles)
+ Screen is more responsive
+ Screen quality improved
+ The feel of glass
+ Abit less fingerprints

- Once the glass breaks, tiny pieces will be all over the place
- The sheet is glued, so there will be residue (still removable using nail polish remover)
- Deep scratches go directly to the glass

I won't remove mine since I'm a careless guy and drops phones alot though.

I don't understand why anyone would want to remove that sheet anyway. I have an extra screenprotector on top of that shatterproof sheet and even that one is barely noticable.

Chinner

Banned
heres hoping 4.2.2 fixes battery life, performance and the wifi bug. if they could work on camera software then that would be the bees knees.

Akira

There is this guy on xperiablog asking for Jelly bean upgrade for XS on every article lol.

Haha, my favorite guy was "I'm a gamer" who would always ask about ICS for Xperia Play, and had a meltdown when Sony decided in the end not to upgrade it.

Haha, my favorite guy was "I'm a gamer" who would always ask about ICS for Xperia Play, and had a meltdown when Sony decided in the end not to upgrade it.

You have to admit, that was a pretty terrible decision. And I'm still waiting on my Xperia P JB. :| Sony really sucks with updates.

Mario007

You have to admit, that was a pretty terrible decision. And I'm still waiting on my Xperia P JB. :| Sony really sucks with updates.
Considering how it really would have fucked up games on the PLAY it was a smart decision. The terrible decision came beforehand when they thought they could get ICS running on it and announced it as such.

Cerity

Got my Z on thursday, nice standby life but terrible load time. Hopefully it'll even out (only been through 2 charge cycles) or sony will address it in time. Other than the speaker placement loving it so far.

1jNkeyI.png

longdi

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Tgv80i2L8

HTC One vs Xperia Z screen. Summary:

HTC One slightly better contrast, and better viewing angles.
XZ better detail and colour reproduction.

In anandtech review of One, they found One using the same JDI panel as Z...yet somehow Sony managed to misfire on the Z display ???

Oh anandtech also found the SD600 much faster than S4Pro in benchmarks while about 10-25% faster in realworld tests...

Nothing? :/

There are so many cases on eBay and such that It's impossible to say which one is the best. You have flip cases, hard cases and gel cases. Have a look and choose one you like.

In anandtech review of One, they found One using the same JDI panel as Z...yet somehow Sony managed to misfire on the Z display ???

Oh anandtech also found the SD600 much faster than S4Pro in benchmarks while about 10-25% faster in realworld tests...

Real Life performance of SD600 vs S4Pro is not really noticeable because non of them really operate in peak performance. Compare it to two cars who accelerate at about the same rate but one car has a higher theoretical top speed. That top speed will help you in a race but in the real world, you'll hardly need to drive that fast.

Regarding the screen, must be calibration or something else, weird indeed.

Well, specifically Facebook seems to still give audio notifications even when silent mode is engaged.

Maybe it's a bug?

Detox

Nothing? :/

Wifi Bug?
The wifi sucks and drops connection frequently just like the Xperia arc. I get a perfect connecton on my iPad in certain parts of my house where just moving my phone a couple of centimetres drops the connection entirely.

Omlagus

Got a chance to do some screen measurements on my ZL and got what I think are pretty interesting results.

All the measurements were done with brightness at max, and the auto brightness adjustment turned off. I also measured relative to the HD video standard (rec. 709).

First I measured screen as is, out of the box but with the above changes to brightness and with Mobile Bravia Engine turned off. Then I used the ZL's display calibration tool, and adjusted white until in measured more correctly, then repeated the measurements.

So in this first set Pre is out of the box, Post is after adjusting white point with the ZL calibration tool.
Greyscale out of the box pushes blue, all the way from black through shades of grey up to pure white.

After adjustment, red, green and blue are tightly grouped throughout the greyscale as they should be.

Then I measured colour. Minor changes here. Almost everything is over-saturated but too badly.

Next I repeated everything, but with the only change being turning on Mobile Bravia Engine. So here, Pre is adjusted white but MBE off, and Post is adjusted white with MBE on.

Greyscale, no major changes.

With Chromaticity, again it seems like there aren't too many big changes.

But what's really interesting, is that if I look at the overall error of the colours, which includes their relative luminance or brightness, not shown on the chromaticity diagram, in each case all the colours measured better with MBE on (lower dE is better), in some cases significantly.

Honestly I thought MBE was going to blow out the saturation of everything, and was quite impressed that it did not.

Anyway, kinda lengthy I know, but it seems that any viewing angle concerns aside, this is actually a really great screen.

Got a chance to do some screen measurements on my ZL and got what I think are pretty interesting results.

All the measurements were done with brightness at max, and the auto brightness adjustment turned off. I also measured relative to the HD video standard (rec. 709).

First I measured screen as is, out of the box but with the above changes to brightness and with Mobile Bravia Engine turned off. Then I used the ZL's display calibration tool, and adjusted white until in measured more correctly, then repeated the measurements.

So in this first set Pre is out of the box, Post is after adjusting white point with the ZL calibration tool.
Greyscale out of the box pushes blue, all the way from black through shades of grey up to pure white.

After adjustment, red, green and blue are tightly grouped throughout the greyscale as they should be.

Then I measured colour. Minor changes here. Almost everything is over-saturated but too badly.

Next I repeated everything, but with the only change being turning on Mobile Bravia Engine. So here, Pre is adjusted white but MBE off, and Post is adjusted white with MBE on.

Greyscale, no major changes.

With Chromaticity, again it seems like there aren't too many big changes.

But what's really interesting, is that if I look at the overall error of the colours, which includes their relative luminance or brightness, not shown on the chromaticity diagram, in each case all the colours measured better with MBE on (lower dE is better), in some cases significantly.

Honestly I thought MBE was going to blow out the saturation of everything, and was quite impressed that it did not.

Anyway, kinda lengthy I know, but it seems that any viewing angle concerns aside, this is actually a really great screen.

Great post and information. It kind of confirms my suspicions that Bravia Engine is just marketing schtick from Sony and it is really just a colour calibration profile they enable for photos and videos within their apps. Do you think if that MBE profile could be enabled permanently the screen would look significantly better all the time?

I really think Sony are fucking up big time when it comes to software, if I am right they have fucked the camera and screen because of poor software because the raw performance of both (MBE and burst mode show us this) is up there with the best available.

The cynic in me thinks that Sony is fucking up the calibration on purpose during manufacturing/assembly to make MBE seem more like a worthy feature, I just hope it isn't true.

They really need to get a grip on this and push 4.2.2 with a better standard calibration profile or have the ability to put MBE to always on, and have a NR=0 option for the camera.

Chinner

Banned
Omlagus really interesting results. just wondering what did you put your settings on in the ZL's display calibration tool?

Knight77

Yes, Omlagus please post settings! Anyway I think is hard to have a proper calibration with a tool like the Sony one that doesn't let you change so many parameters...

JonnyBrad

The cynic in me thinks that Sony is fucking up the calibration on purpose during manufacturing/assembly to make MBE seem more like a worthy feature, I just hope it isn't true.

They really need to get a grip on this and push 4.2.2 with a better standard calibration profile or have the ability to put MBE to always on, and have a NR=0 option for the camera.

It would be utter stupidity if that's the case. Things like the screen and camera sell the phone to the average punter. Its why Samsung whack the saturation up on their demo TV's. To make them stand out better.

If the Bravia engine is just software (i suspect it is) it should be on all the time, and then used as a selling point.

BTW. How does it having the same panel as the HTC one explain the poor viewing angles? Shouldn't it be the same? Viewing angles are not a software thing.

It would be utter stupidity if that's the case. Things like the screen and camera sell the phone to the average punter. Its why Samsung whack the saturation up on their demo TV's. To make them stand out better.

If the Bravia engine is just software (i suspect it is) it should be on all the time, and then used as a selling point.

BTW. How does it having the same panel as the HTC one explain the poor viewing angles? Shouldn't it be the same? Viewing angles are not a software thing.

Indeed. Absolutely stupid IMO, but a very Sony thing to do. Purposefully hobble something and then add a "feature" that unhobbles it and advertise it as such. The market has moved on from that kind of shit and Sony don't have the stranglehold on panel production they once had (in 2007 SMD supplied 60% of smartphone displays above 3") and they need to realise it.

OptiContrast reduces viewing angles, as does the shatter proof sheet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Omlagus really interesting results. just wondering what did you put your settings on in the ZL's display calibration tool?

Yes, Omlagus please post settings! Anyway I think is hard to have a proper calibration with a tool like the Sony one that doesn't let you change so many parameters...

I (and all of XDA) use saturation at 9.0 and Hue and 220.

Now, if someone could tell me how to increase the low-ass call volume, I'd be grateful

Jeels

Btw, no complaints about the battery at all. I've gone from 6 am to 10 pm with heavy use (texting, calling, spotify, wifi/browser, camera, a few apps) and its been fine. All I wanted was for it to last to night time so it can be charged the next day.

was she hot? what was your entrance to go for a coffee or something and talk about why bigger isn't always better... it's how you use it *wink* wink*

Not even worth the effort.

I forgot to mention it in this thread but I saw this phone in the store and finally got hands on time with it yesterday I think it was. Thoughts (this is for the ZL by the way):

- Screen is pretty amazing. Viewing angle thing is definitely noticeable but I think it has been exaggerated a bit. The screen when looking at it normally...just amazing. One of the best.

- Size is amazing, the front is all screen almost, so cool to look at, great size for a 1080p 5 inch phone.

- Feels great to hold too, the textured back gives good grip, it has a good feel in the hand and you could actually do pretty well using it with one hand.

- It was fast and smooth I'd say 95% of the time. It might have benefited from either shoving an s600 in there or sony optimizing the software a little better. I'm going to assume it's the software optimization at fault because I remember seeing a video running a launcher and it was 1000% smooth.

- Skin is good. Very close to stock. Some might consider that a bad thing since it doesn't seem like it offers as much as touchwiz or sense, but I consider it a bonus.

I forgot to mention it in this thread but I saw this phone in the store and finally got hands on time with it yesterday I think it was. Thoughts (this is for the ZL by the way):

- Screen is pretty amazing. Viewing angle thing is definitely noticeable but I think it has been exaggerated a bit. The screen when looking at it normally...just amazing. One of the best.

- Size is amazing, the front is all screen almost, so cool to look at, great size for a 1080p 5 inch phone.

- Feels great to hold too, the textured back gives good grip, it has a good feel in the hand and you could actually do pretty well using it with one hand.

- It was fast and smooth I'd say 95% of the time. It might have benefited from either shoving an s600 in there or sony optimizing the software a little better. I'm going to assume it's the software optimization at fault because I remember seeing a video running a launcher and it was 1000% smooth.

- Skin is good. Very close to stock. Some might consider that a bad thing since it doesn't seem like it offers as much as touchwiz or sense, but I consider it a bonus.

being close to stock is not an excuse. they could offer those 3rd party features in a close to stock styling.

being close to stock is not an excuse. they could offer those 3rd party features in a close to stock styling.
tbh I couldn't even think of anything while using it that I wish it had, at least not right away. At least with the general UI/customization. It does offer its own stuff hough, the camera features seem great. It's mostly like stock. What you see is what you get. Not a lot of crazy things happening there. Some people will view that as a negative, some positive.

Omlagus

Sorry, didn't get a chance to get back to here earlier. I have saturation at 7.5 and hue at 56.8. Not sure what the XDA guys are basing it on but mine are measured with a spectrophotometer.

I'd love to see how this screen could look with full colour controls. It's interesting that Sony is treating this the same as their Tv's. Sony doesn't include any kind of colour management system at all. Not even in the service menu. Only white balance adjustment, although it is more adjustable than what they have on here.

Jeels

pretty accurate review from my hands on (mostly). The battery really wasn't too good. I barely did anything on the phone and I remember it going down a surprising amount of percent. Sony goof'd on the software somewhere.

I completely disagree. Just yesterday I finished the day at 80%, power saver works.

I completely disagree. Just yesterday I finished the day at 80%, power saver works.
well my hands on is literally just me standing there for 10 mins so I can't say anything much on the subject. It was also the employees phone I was using since I asked to try one not attached to the thing lol. And he gave me his so I don't know what he had.

Akira

M. Knight twist:

Bravia Engine on - leave the screen as it should be

Bravia Engine off - turn on shitty screen calibration software

Chinner

Banned
pretty accurate review from my hands on (mostly). The battery really wasn't too good. I barely did anything on the phone and I remember it going down a surprising amount of percent. Sony goof'd on the software somewhere.
something's foul in the software optimisation. My ZL drained really quickly, but I've done a factory reset and so far the battery life has improved a lot, so far!

Top Bottom