• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Radec

You won't really need a launcher, Sony's stock launcher is pretty sweet. I just wish they would integrate the widget selector into the app drawer like stock Android rather than a separate app.

Try fancy widgets

http://www.fancywidgetsapp.com/

Pretty decent clock/weather widget. The Walkman widget is awesome, and it's pretty much the best music player on Android so you won't really need another one.

Speaking of Walkman, where is the shuffle button? I cant find it lol.

Radec

For me:

Design/Build Quality: Z by a mile.

OS: S4, Touchwiz for me is pretty useful. There are many simple things that TW offers that the stock doesn't have. Like the swipe on messages or contacts to call or sms it. The notification bar with those toggles. (Stock XZ only have 5 toggles.)

Camera: S4

Screen: S4

Fezan

For me:

Design/Build Quality: Z by a mile.

OS: S4, Touchwiz for me is pretty useful. There are many simple things that TW offers that the stock doesn't have. Like the swipe on messages or contacts to call or sms it. The notification bar with those toggles. (Stock XZ only have 5 toggles.)

Camera: S4

Screen: S4

camera and screen i would definitely give to S4 but in the video the guys said that Z shows more detail.
Also i hate touch wiz it looks very amateurish with mismatch of colors don't care about most gimmicky features

guys, even if they had LTE and even if they had Verizon bands, Verizon doesn't support VoLTE yet so all they'd get with a SIM is 4G Data... assuming that would actually work and wouldn't be blocked by device ID or something...

Chinner

Banned
I can't view the video but I imagine they disqualify the Xperia cause of viewing angles? Seems to be the running case.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Not mention the 700 MHz band used in LTE is different between At&t and Verizon.

And if it's not a Verizon device, don't expect it to function on their network.

Mung

So for someone like me, who prefers worse viewing angles for privacy, the xperia is better? Pleased with my choice then!

Jeels

Awesome, my ZL has shipped. :) Says it will be here by Tuesday. Guess I'll have it before official US launch. Pretty sweet.

Jeels

Tuesday is the US launch day! :D

Oh wow, then I am right on time! Heh.

Are there going to be any big events? I didn't even know when the official release was. I just assumed it was April 8th because that's what the Sony store's estimated ship date was.

My home made ghetto dock:

sZhtRjb.jpg

QqhwZt5.jpg

U8yewcs.jpg

AqE20N3.jpg

01r5RDt.jpg

lol

Radec

Well the display of the Z is ridiculously sharp than a Super AMOLED. But brightness, Vividness and deeper blacks will always go to the Super AMOLED.

Viewing the Z at normal viewing angle makes it really really good on the eyes. But the Z is abit warmer and there's no option to change it like the ones from Samsung Galaxies. Good thing there's a way to install the White Balance setting found on the ZL to the Z. And like me who prefer displays abit cooler, that's a godsend specially when viewing white webpages like neogaf mobile.

As for the Camera, I'd rate it 7/10 (8/10 for the Note 2). it's much slower than the samsung, it takes about 2-3 secs to open the app from the launcher, and 1-2secs to open it from the lockscreen. Capturing shots is also abit slow since the Z refocuses when taking the next shot. Burst shot solves this but Superior Auto and Normal shouldn't refocuses especially when the focus mode selected is touch. Also photos taken from burst shots are taken to subfolders per batch. It sucks in viewing from the camera gallery.

My Z is now rooted and running a custom rom (but the bootloader is still locked because of my shitty windows 8 drivers) that enables me to install a mod to make the status and softkey's bg black instead of grey.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The simple change of the softkey background being black is so amazing. I really wonder why that's not default.
Agreed. Watching the video reviews of the phone made me dislike the gray color. Looks terrible and looking at the above image, the black menu buttons look amazing.

Is it me or he just said that TFT display is better than AMOLED display ? That should not be possible

There is this common misconconception that AMOLED is better than LCD by definition. This is simply not true. For non black images, I prefer a good IPS display. AMOLED requires more energy and there is an issue that isn't adressed yet: Usability under the sun. Retention and burn-ins are also associated with AMOLED. It's lifespan also differs from LCD. AMOLED colors will dedrade over time.

I don't know why anyone would prefer AMOLED over LCD IPS, apart from deep blacks. When your viewing the XZ's screen from an angle you'll usually do, it is absolutely the best you can get.

There is this common misconconception that AMOLED is better than LCD by definition. This is simply not true. For non black images, I prefer a good IPS display. AMOLED requires more energy and there is an issue that isn't adressed yet: Usability under the sun. Retention and burn-ins are also associated with AMOLED. It's lifespan also differs from LCD. AMOLED colors will dedrade over time.

I don't know why anyone would prefer AMOLED over LCD IPS, apart from deep blacks. When your viewing the XZ's screen from an angle you'll usually do, it is absolutely the best you can get.
nah, the best LCD you can get is on the HTC One. then the Droid DNA/Butterfly. then...

nah, the best LCD you can get is on the HTC One. then the Droid DNA/Butterfly. then...

Like I said, when your viewing the XZ's screen from an angle you'll usually do, it is absolutely the best you can get. The only thing that is fucking XZ's screen are the viewing angles. Side by side, the XZ's screen is superior to the One's. The color reproduction of the Z is better and it has better whites.

Zaptruder

Banned
Like I said, when your viewing the XZ's screen from an angle you'll usually do, it is absolutely the best you can get. The only thing that is fucking XZ's screen are the viewing angles. Side by side, the XZ's screen is superior to the One's. The color reproduction of the Z is better and it has better whites.

I don't know what to think anymore.

Paradoxically, having all this excellent competition just makes me want to buy one less.

I just want the best of the best.

I want the XZ design and its waterproofing with S4 guts. I want a stylus in there too, GNote 2 operating life and the pureview camera and a good headphone amp dac. And I'll pay well for it.

Give this to me CE companies!

better Whites? nope.

better Blacks? also nope.

even the Optimus G Pro and Oppo Find 5 are ahead.

Radec

Just ordered the Z :) switching from 5 years of iPhone.

It will arrive wednesday, so exited!!

When it arrives, install sony pc companion and update the firmware.

Also, If you want to avoid some scratches at the back, I recommend keeping that matte plastic at the back. Just cut the right part and the camera hole. Its nice in the hand too. Unless you want that glass feel at the back. :)

Mario007

I don't know what to think anymore.

Paradoxically, having all this excellent competition just makes me want to buy one less.

I just want the best of the best.

I want the XZ design and its waterproofing with S4 guts. I want a stylus in there too, GNote 2 operating life and the pureview camera and a good headphone amp dac. And I'll pay well for it.

Give this to me CE companies!
Wait for the Sony Phablet?

I've seen both side by side and I say yes. The One's whites are blue'ish. Maybe that test was conducted on a JDC screen. The Sharp screen for example has a 1000:1 + contrast ratio. The JDC 2 screen has a 700:1 contrast ration and the JDC 1 screen has a 450:1 contrast ratio. My phone has a sharp panel and it's amazeballs.

I've seen both side by side and I say yes. The One's whites are blue'ish. Maybe that test was conducted on a JDC screen. The Sharp screen for example has a 1000:1 + contrast ratio. The JDC 2 screen has a 700:1 contrast ration and the JDC 1 screen has a 450:1 contrast ratio. My phone has a sharp panel and it's amazeballs.

so you don't dispute the results but add that the screen is better anecdotally pending panel lotto results? c'mon son.

How can you know the panel of your Z?

Download the 'Terminal Emulator' from the Play Store and enter the following commands:

cd /sys/devices/platform/mipi_dsi_panel.0
cat panel_id

You'll get a line of code. If that code has "ls050t3sx01", you have a sharp panel, if the code has "mdy70", you have a JDC panel.

so you don't dispute the results but add that the screen is better anecdotally pending panel lotto results? c'mon son.

Yes. Because the screen of the One isn't better by definition.

I expect a lot from the update to Android 4.2 . The XZ's screens need to be calibrated properly and the camera software needs improvement. Another 'issue' with the XZ is that it takes much, much better pictures in Burst Mode compared to normal mode:

Here is a burst version of that picture:

The difference is night and day. The post processing is simply to rough on the normal modes.

Mung

Download the 'Terminal Emulator' from the Play Store and enter the following commands:

cd /sys/devices/platform/mipi_dsi_panel.0
cat panel_id

You'll get a line of code. If that code has "ls050t3sx01", you have a sharp panel, if the code has "mdy70", you have a JDC panel.

Woo i won the panel lottery!

Yeah i got that too.

Is there a comparison shot on those 2 panels?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50393748&postcount=451

That's not definitive though. I've seen comparisons favouring the JDC panel and I've seen comparisons favouring the Sharp panel. All we can do is wait for Android 4.2 and the calibration software.

By the way fellow XZ owners, did you know that you get free 50GB of Box storage? Just register an account through your Z and you'll get 50GB. Box is inferior to Dropbox, but hey it's free :p

The Sharp panel in Xperia Z/ZL is from the same production line as the panels used in the Droid DNA/Butterfly. If you get a Sharp panel (>95% of current shipments) then it is the best 5" LCD panel in production.

Yes. Because the screen of the One isn't better by definition.

I expect a lot from the update to Android 4.2 . The XZ's screens need to be calibrated properly and the camera software needs improvement. Another 'issue' with the XZ is that it takes much, much better pictures in Burst Mode compared to normal mode:

Here is a burst version of that picture:

The difference is night and day. The post processing is simply to rough on the normal modes.

yeah, the HTC One is getting camera improvements in an update too... this stuff is great for people with a time machine, but for people in the present with a retail device or considering the immediate purchase, that's not really a good thing. especially since this is not a one time deal, we've constantly seen Sony get embarassed by other OEMs using the same panels and same (Sony made!!!) Camera modules.

By the way fellow XZ owners, did you know that you get free 50GB of Box storage? Just register an account through your Z and you'll get 50GB. Box is inferior to Dropbox, but hey it's free :p

well, one plus is Box offers the 50GB for life while Dropbox offers it for 2 years and then you're stuck with the inability to add files if you're over your previous limit when the size drops back to normal.

yeah, the HTC One is getting camera improvements in an update too... this stuff is great for people with a time machine, but for people in the present with a retail device or considering the immediate purchase, that's not really a good thing. especially since this is not a one time deal, we've constantly seen Sony get embarassed by other OEMs using the same panels and same (Sony made!!!) Camera modules.

Yeah, indeed that is great for people with a time machine. Speaking of time machine, the Z has been availible for over a month now and the One will ship mid April, at the earliest [at least here]. That's around the time the Xperia Z's update to 4.2 will most likely launch.

Anywho, I was fully aware of the One's specifications and the Z's specifications before I got in bed with a Z. Never regretted it.

Fezan

Xperia Z video recording HDR off

Xoeria Z recording HDR on

I don't know how some reviewers can say HDR make no difference. i like when reviewers criticize shortcomings in cell phones as it benefits us consumers but hate when they don't do proper testing and just spread the bias.
Similarly Beats by htc is only good when you are listening to hiphop songs and worse for everything else yet reviewers praise it and no body mention audio playback capabilities of sony phone which are better than most.

Top Bottom