• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Got my XZ today! (replaced my galaxy s2) I've found it great so far! Very pleased. I've had no problems with the screen really. Speaker is a bit tinny but im not one for using it other than my alerts.

I ordered these DR-BTN200M bluetooth headset/headphones to go with it...

llwXpbm.jpg

But they have got stuck in Germany (according to DHL tracking :/ which is a shame) Now I just await stock of the black dock for me to be flapless once the headphones arrive... oh i messed up putting on my protectors so ive had to order more because im an idiot at putting those on.

Just got to finish messing about with SSLauncher and tasker and im all set :)

Radec

Man, the speaker's volume went way too low when you used it underwater.

It took probably an hour or 2 before the normal volume came back.

I guess that's how they handled the waterproofness of the speaker.

Man, the speaker's volume went way too low when you used it underwater.

It took probably an hour or 2 before the normal volume came back.

I guess that's how they handled the waterproofness of the speaker.

Quick question about the waterproof stuff. Does the Sony warranty now state that water damage is covered under the first year?

Quick question about the waterproof stuff. Does the Sony warranty now state that water damage is covered under the first year?

of course not.

[2] In compliance with IP5/7 and IP5X, Xperia Z is protected against the ingress of dust and is water resistant. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP 55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1 meter / 3.28 feet of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP 57. The phone is not designed to float or work submerged under water outside the IP55 or IP57 classification range and should not be exposed to any liquid chemicals. If liquid detection is triggered on the handset or battery, your warranty will be void.
http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-z/specifications/

so differences vs S2 in real life? I have S2... dont really play games.

Obviously its a bigger phone, but ive not really noticed the difference in size when its in my pocket.

I have noticed it's alot quicker and snappier, tagy widgets loads the list of apps quicker, google chrome is much quicker and useable (which comes installed as standard - no stock browser) and it turns on quicker.

Battery is better as I was having to give my S2 a boost to last the day at work and here I took the XZ off the charger about an hour ago just checked it and its still on 99%.

Sound quality through headphones is very good indeed. (I used to use PlayerPro on my S2 and Sony's own Walkman app on the XZ)

The build of the phone feels nicer but thats not difficult with the cheap plasticy feel of the S2.

I'm as pleased as i was going from HTC Desire to the S2 as I am coming from my S2 to the XZ... if not more so. And after having a HTC and SAmsung phones I wanted to try something different. (HTC's One not having an SD slot made that choice pretty easy otherwise I would of got that)

Chinner

Banned
ZL has arrived.... crazy how good looking it is, and it fits in my hand really well. especially considering i've been using a 4s all this time.

What's the story with 4.2.2 zomg? Still on track to release this week?

This week or next. They want to get 4.1.2 out for S, P and Go and then start the 4.2.2 update process. It shouldn't be long now.

ZL has arrived.... crazy how good looking it is, and it fits in my hand really well. especially considering i've been using a 4s all this time.

The curved plastic back makes it seem much smaller than it should feel. The ZL is easily the best designed phone of 2013. Such a shame Sony couldn't get the production up to speed.

Got the z just over a week ago and love it.
Stamina mode is genius. I was expecting pitiful battery life from having read some reviews but battery has been surprisingly good.
I easily get over five hours of screen on time during my normal day, with stamina mode the battery doesn't drain at all.
Sony need to optimise its home launcher though. I'm using nova and it flies.
Screen is fine for my liking but viewing angles are quite poor which I guess could put some people off.
9 out of 10.

Jeels

Emailed the company about them not being a Sony approved dealer, their response was: "Thanks for your message. These phones are new, factory sealed units
with full warranty, purchased directly from the manufacturer's sales
channel."

Doesn't really answer my question. Haha...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Emailed the company about them not being a Sony approved dealer, their response was: "Thanks for your message. These phones are new, factory sealed units
with full warranty, purchased directly from the manufacturer's sales
channel."

Doesn't really answer my question. Haha...
I guess what they're saying is that since its purchased directly from Sony, the warranty is included.

But what if there is? I live in an area with LTE/typically go to areas with it.
once again someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there is no Z that supports LTE in verizon is there?

I thought it was only the ZL (C6506) that could support it since it has the 700/1700/2100 bands.

But what if there is? I live in an area with LTE/typically go to areas with it.

In that case the C6506 might work with a VZW SIM card, if you have one already then you could just stick it into an unlocked ZL. Best thing to do is go to a Sony store and ask to try it in a test model, then you can see if it works on LTE only or not.

I don't want you to buy it from this website which says no returns and then find that it doesn't work.

I was watching anime on my Z with 10% battery and eventough it was being charged, I was losing battery %, so much that it drained completely?

Detox

I've noticed it drains battery fast when watching videos.

I've also noticed it attracting dust, I've had it since launch (UK) and I thought it was dustproof but over the last couple of days everytime I take it out of my pocket it's covered in dust. This has only been happening recently not sure what the dustproof bit is supposed to cover maybe they mean the ports etc.

I've also noticed it attracting dust, I've had it since launch (UK) and I thought it was dustproof but over the last couple of days everytime I take it out of my pocket it's covered in dust. This has only been happening recently not sure what the dustproof bit is supposed to cover maybe they mean the ports etc.

Dustproof just means dust getting into the device but it does love to attract dust. I just rinse it under the tap every so often.

I've noticed it drains battery fast when watching videos.

It means dust won't get inside the phone, not on it.

Someone needs to figure out a way to stop devices from attracting dust

I have some anti-static spray I use at work to keep dust off my computer screen. I don't think I would recommend it for a touch screen though. Might mess up the electric field that drives touch response.

Been on my zl all day. It owns. Haven't had a chance to download launchers or widgets though :(

You won't really need a launcher, Sony's stock launcher is pretty sweet. I just wish they would integrate the widget selector into the app drawer like stock Android rather than a separate app.

Try fancy widgets

http://www.fancywidgetsapp.com/

Pretty decent clock/weather widget. The Walkman widget is awesome, and it's pretty much the best music player on Android so you won't really need another one.

Chinner

Banned
Chinner please comment on the viewing angles. Are they as terrible as people say they are?
It's alright,not amazing and nowhere near the deal breaker that it's been made out of to be. If you slant I to a strong angle then yeah the image will degrade and go white a bit. but in day to day normal use? no problems it's fine.

You probably best checking it out in person. See how it works for you.

Top Bottom