• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z |OT| Hobo Raiden's Bizarre Revengeance

Tizoc

B4z36ig.jpg

Developer: Team Ninja, Comcept, Spike Unlimited
Publisher: Tecmo KOEI
Release dates:
  • Japan: Currently available
  • North America: 18th March 2014
  • Australia: 20th March 2014
  • Europe: 21st March 2014
  • Steam release: 21st March 2014
Platforms: Sony Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC (Steam)

Introduction
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z is a spin-off game of Team Ninja’s Ninja Gaiden series, and is developed by Team Ninja, Comcept (Keiji Inafune’s company) & Spark Unlimited (who developed Lost Planet 3).
The game stars Yaiba Kamikaze, a rogue ninja who destroyed his clan, and seeks revenge against Ryu Hayabusa for defeating him and slicing off his eye and left arm.
Yaiba is hired by an organization that hlpes restore his lost body parts with mechanized duplicates. In return, Yaiba agrees to help this organization quell a sudden zombie infestation so long as he exacts his revenge against Ryu.
As the game runs on Unreal Engine 3, it would be best to get the PC/Steam ver. as it runs the best on that platform, if possible for you.

Gameplay
Don’t go in expecting gameplay like Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2, as the gameplay resembles typical hack and slash character action games from the footage shown.
One of the game’s highlights is the ability to defeat certain enemies and use their body parts as weapons such a robot (dog)’s rocket launcher, or using a mutated giant baby zombie’s shoulder blade to smash enemies with.
Yaiba can also earn ‘perks’ to improve his combat efficiency or learn extra moves. Furthermore, the game has alternate outfits for Yaiba to wear including a Mighty #9 suit, a schoolgirl uniform and an outfit based on the Japanese movie Nuigurumaa Z.

Media
15 min. footage of the early stages in the game
Battle trailer showcasing some of the weapons in the game
Trailer showcasing the various alternate outfits in the game

Reviews
i7zpDxKcRLVGm.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe the lead designer of Spec Ops: The Line is behind this.

Really ? Holy shit :p I'm looking forward to it tbh, it looks like a fun enough spin off/brawler IMO. I don't expect it to be mind blowing or anything just it does look like cheesy fun.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

That's the most positive thing I've heard about the game yet.

I honestly don't dislike the garish color scheme of this game, and I think it'll probably look pretty great on PC... and I even found the childish-as-all-hell trailer to be amusing. But I can't convince myself the game's actually going to be even remotely decent.

chriskun

Watching the weapons trailer this game looks like it could be decent if it has any sort of challenge to it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

nynt9

I think this game is reviewer poison because it is skill-based, Japanese, cheesy and has sexist humor. It will score 6-7 on metacritic but will probably be a really fun guilty pleasure game.

TnK

I tried out this game. I really enjoyed it. Are you all basing your assumptions on trailers alone?

Make no mistake, it is a very very dumb game, lol.

I really want this to be good. Getting some Lollipop Chainsaw/KiD vibes from this. Will pick up the PS3 version at launch.

Are there any preorder bonuses?

Ninja Dom

On the subject of ports of the game later on, specifically Vita.

Liam Allen-Miller said:
Tecmo Koei is usually very aggressive about porting games to Vita. Is there a chance this could receive similar treatment?

Yosuke Hayashi / Team NINJA Producer said:
We began developing YAIBA for the PS3 and Xbox 360. If we were to port it to the Vita we’d have to sacrifice some things, so we weren’t considering any ports when we were in the middle of development. Since Yaiba is a brand new IP, we will consider the possibility of a Vita version once we’ve had a chance to evaluate how the console and PC versions are accepted by our fans.

Taken from the YAIBA Developer Q&A May need to register age before viewing.

Courage

What likely happened is that whoever put up the job listing used "next-generation consoles" to refer to the PS360. This is a perfect example of why it's stupid to continue calling the next generation of consoles "next-generation consoles" when they're on shelves.

But that was in 2012. People referred to the PS360 as "next gen" in 2012?

Tizoc

Just a heads up that the game could be gotten for cheaper on Steam via Key Trading, like on Steamtraders. So those in Europe could get it for under $30.

I personally am not into the concept, but it's unfortunate that Steam is the only place atm that seems to have the game for purchase.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think this game is reviewer poison because it is skill-based, Japanese, cheesy and has sexist humor. It will score 6-7 on metacritic but will probably be a really fun guilty pleasure game.

Pretty much. The sexist humor, alone, ensures that most reviews will be even less valid than usual. While I don't have high hopes for the game, I still kinda in the back of my head want to believe this could be cool.

I just looked it up. Your right Cory Davis is involved. I wish directors were advertised more, that would have defiantly made me more interested on this game from the get go. But i wonder how much freedom he had developing this or if he even has the same position on this game. Normally creative director is the position with the creative power in the game. And in his twitter it says he is lead designer and not creative director like in The Line in this project which could mean his "signature" is not in this game.

Edit: A little bit of researcher leads me to believe that Masahiro Yasuma is the director and not Cory Davis.

http://www.yaibangz.com/index.php/blog/2014/03/03/yaiba-developer-qa/

Yuterald

This looks like one of those B/C-tier late cycle PS2 action games that no one would have played..which I'm all about! Like, the Bujingai of PS3, but not really...I'd probably have a fun time with this game just because I like character based action titles even though this looks/sounds dumb.

Yaiba is hired by an organization that hlpes restore his lost body parts with mechanized duplicates. In return, Yaiba agrees to help this organization quell a sudden zombie infestation so long as he exacts his revenge against Ryu.

So, Metal Gear Rising?

Top Bottom