• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

npAlPflm1.png

Yay!
:)

How's this?

8FZtIK1.jpg

Ah you beat me! Plus I just realised yours is better.

Thanks a bunch guys! Looks great! Appreciate it from both of you, the first one rocks.

Finally finished Yakuza 4, last boss fight was kind of bullshit but whatever. I have 3 on its way but I think I'll try my best to take a break even though I want to play it. I'm afraid I'll get burnt out if I try to marathon the series.

WXBZHv0h.jpg

GAF, this is all your doing. I told myself I'd change in 2017. I caved.
God damn that's one crushable box, I'm already dying inside.

nikos

Finally finished Yakuza 4, last boss fight was kind of bullshit but whatever. I have 3 on its way but I think I'll try my best to take a break even though I want to play it. I'm afraid I'll get burnt out if I try to marathon the series.

I was actually handed a crushed one but asked for another. It's pretty hollow inside too.

theRizzle

Yakuza 4 is the one with the series re-cap stuff in it right?

I've only played the first game, but I just picked up a refurb PS3 slim to play 4 and 5 since I have them through PS+. I have no idea if I'll ever even play 0 but I pre-ordered it because I really liked the first game and there should be more stuff like this coming over.

Is Yakuza typically a difficult game?

Nope, I'd say its fairly easy (then again, I've played every game in the series so maybe I'm not the best judge). But normal mode is very lenient I feel, and should you still be having any problems, you can drop the difficulty at any point in the game. For anyone decent at action games you can basically start the game on hard mode and be ok, just remember to keep a few healing items on hand as you don't get any when doing the main "levels" of the game in hard mode (while you do in normal/easy mode).

bluethree

I understand this feeling as someone who just got back into the series recently. I loved 3, am halfway through 5, and reeeaaallly would like to get into Ishin or 0 soon but that'd just be too much too soon. Gonna have to spread them out more.

Tizoc

OK here are impressions for those interested.
First off performance is superb fluid framerate which can reach 60 FPS much of the time.

For first timers, the game's first Chapter with Kiryu should be used to get used to the controls and the game flow. It's slow but that's not a major negative as you get story+character information and get to test out the combat system.

Yakuza 0 is an Action RPG and EXP takes the form of...Yen! That's right money is your EXP and you WILL be accumulating A LOT of Yen as you progress through the game. Bit by bit the game will teach you its mechanics. Don't worry about getting lost in Kamuro-cho, just press the Touch Pad to open up the menu and choose the route you want to the next objective.

Also pass by shops and restaurant to buy on food items, you're going to need it later in Chapter 1's final area.

Some time during Chapter 1, press the map button and see if some squares have a purple star in them; those are mini game areas. Hit these places up for some fun arcade, bowling or batting. You paid $60 for this game, you are going to want to get your money's worth.

One thing you'll notice if you pause the game is a 'Completion List', don't concern yourself too much with this but look at it from time to time to know what are some stuff you can complete to earn CP which you can use to get passive buffs like getting more money from beating enemies etc.

Once you get to Chapter 2, THIS is where the game fully starts opening up, for Kiryu at least, as you can start doing side missions. Side missions will occasionally happen while you are going through certain areas or interacting with some NPCs. Also keep an eye open for an ! box as that is an area where you can begin a side mission as well.
You don't HAVE to do Side missions btw, but part of the series fun are these asinine but fun side missions.

The combat will take some time for you to upgrade but as you get more Yen and unlock more skills in the COmbat upgrade menu you'll be able to mix it up to get the most out of Heat Attacks.

So yeah all in all, take your time playing it and don't hesitate to put aside the main objective in favour of just running around Kamuro-cho and busting heads or rocking it out at a karaoke.

Well, I broke down. Im so weak, but that damned Nugget scene.... preordered on PSN.

Going to make time for this one! Cant wait for my first trip through this franchise!

Astarte

This game is going to be the tits, man

Automatic top 10 after seeing my Japanese roommate play a bit of it, can't wait to also buy Kiwami and 6.

ZeroX03

Banned
Jim's a wild card. Sometimes he likes trash but disposes of treasure. Other times he toes the line.

Seems in general they've been doing a really good job at getting the game out into the hands of reviewers that matter, giving them a long time to play and a review embargo that's up early. If the quality is there - and it is - it'll shine.

Harmen

Angry Joe says they are liking it but it is very niche, so they are not sure if its for everyone. He also said there is a lot more content, story, and minigames than they expected.

(see his latest vid)

That sounds like a fair evaluation from my own experience. I think Yakuza has the potential to gain a much larger crowd than it does now, but it is most certainly not for everyone.

Anyways, glad some yt'ers got reviewcopies and are taking the time to giving it a shot.

protonion

I love that you do not have to grind for money.

A simple encounter gives tons of money.
The limited inventory does not let it mess the gameplay balance.

At first it felt like the game was broken. But then you realize this is how games should be designed.

WXBZHv0h.jpg

GAF, this is all your doing. I told myself I'd change in 2017. I caved.
omg fuck yes

i've just been remote playing uncharted 4 online the past few days at work. i'll probably move on to doing this once it comes out...although i'll have to wait a few days longer than the rest of y'all

Koppai

I am so excited I wish the PSP games could be remade and the Feudal Japan games could be released in English on PS4 :(

I've only played through 4 and 5. Picking up 0, Kiwami, and 6 for sure. Need to get 3 but maybe they will remake it?

I'd be interested to see what Jim thinks of the game. Its definitely nice to see the game getting way more coverage (outside of Japan) compared to any other entry in the series.
After watching a couple of his videos I feel like he might be someone who enjoy and appreciates a series like Yakuza. Fingers crossed that I'm not wrong.

Logash

I downloaded and played the Yakuza 6 demo from the Japanese PS Store and I really love the gameplay! Can't wait to start and play my first Yakuza game forreal on Tuesday. I can't stop looking the series up and I think I will love it. :D

Also, can I have one of them avatars?

After watching a couple of his videos I feel like he might be someone who enjoy and appreciates a series like Yakuza. Fingers crossed that I'm not wrong.

Well he did do a video just a couple of weeks back about large open world games with nothing to do in them, so hopefully the fact that Yakuza has a smaller "open world" with tons to do is a plus point to him.

Top Bottom