• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Revven

I got to the final chapter last night and had to stop. Everything leading up to it was so, so good. Really looking forward to getting back to it later today.

However, I had a question. At what point during the chapter can I switch between the two characters? And,
can you go back to Sotenbori or are both locked to Kamurocho?

There's some stuff I need to finish.

I got to the final chapter last night and had to stop. Everything leading up to it was so, so good. Really looking forward to getting back to it later today.

However, I had a question. At what point during the chapter can I switch between the two characters? And,
can you go back to Sotenbori or are both locked to Kamurocho?

There's some stuff I need to finish.

Right before the final mission, you'll be able to
change characters at will, and go from city-to-city with no issues.
The game tells you when you try to start the mission that this is the end and that you should save your game and make sure you have nothing left to do.

Revven

Right before the final mission, you'll be able to
change characters at will, and go from city-to-city with no issues.
The game tells you when you try to start the mission that this is the end and that you should save your game and make sure you have nothing left to do.

Okay, gotcha. Thanks!

robotrock

Banned
at some point the story just got way too interesting and i could not enjoy substories anymore, knowing i was delaying main story progress.

Aki-at

Does that not make sense in the grand scope of the series? Yakuza 0 has me thinking he's a pretty big fuckin' deal.

He is and his probably the best tactician in the series. The series has always implied he was basically the pre-Kiryu but with brains too.

I would say the same for [Chapter 11 Y0 spoiler]
Nishitani's death. It could be a little less melodramatic and still be as impactful. That scene got ramped up to eleven unnecessarily to the point the pauses and lack/slowness of reaction felt weird just for the sake of delivering the full speech and getting a few more bullets.

You know what's really strange about that scene? The fact that
only a couple of scenes prior Nishitani was in his cells with 5 of his underlings, what did the combust and turn to smoke as soon as he opened the prison cell door or were they just not willing to take a bullet for their boss? :p

Auctopus

I would say the same for [Chapter 11 Y0 spoiler]
Nishitani's death. It could be a little less melodramatic and still be as impactful. That scene got ramped up to eleven unnecessarily to the point the pauses and lack/slowness of reaction felt weird just for the sake of delivering the full speech and getting a few more bullets.

Yeah, that's the only scene where
the melodrama kinda bothered me. It was annoying how Majima just stood there, waiting for Nishi to finish his next line. Also, how Nishi had a prison cell full of thugs who had now seemingly disappeared in the cutscene.

Not a big deal though.

Wow. Kiryu is neat and all, but I REALLY like Goro as a character. He just has this wily charisma and is a bit more driven than Kiryu so his shit plays out way funnier in comedy and way more crazy in serious shit.

Does he show up again in the Yakuza series? This is my first Yakuza game.

Edit: YES! I KNEW IT! I knew that Makoto Makimura had to be
the blind girl

Linkura

I'm a big Yakuza fan, played them all that were released here (plus some of Kenzan). Anyone else not giving a shit about the story, but loving the side stuff in this one? The story to me has been an annoyance, and I think it's because of morons like Kuze and Awano on Kiryu's side, and the "MYSTERY!!!!" on Majima's side. Meanwhile, the substories are wackier than ever, and the businesses are both awesome and addicting. Finished with real estate in Chapter 6, and now I'm about halfway through the cabaret clubs in Chapter 7. The cabaret club in particular is an amazing minigame... could almost be its own little game, really. They should do a mobile version of it!

Wow. Kiryu is neat and all, but I REALLY like Goro as a character. He just has this wily charisma and is a bit more driven than Kiryu so his shit plays out way funnier in comedy and way more crazy in serious shit.

He's in every game IIRC, though some of them as a bit role. He's also playable in Dead Souls.

This is the first and only time Majima is a playable character EDIT: in a good game. He's always been important to or had a role in the stories but otherwise he's a relatively minor character in the grand scheme of things.

In Kiwami, the remake of 1 which is COMING OUT THIS SUMMER, they actually expanded his role in the game because he became more and more important in the series as the games went on and they wanted to mirror that for the remake.

I'm a big Yakuza fan, played them all that were released here (plus some of Kenzan). Anyone else not giving a shit about the story, but loving the side stuff in this one? The story to me has been an annoyance, and I think it's because of morons like Kuze and Awano on Kiryu's side, and the "MYSTERY!!!!" on Majima's side. Meanwhile, the substories are wackier than ever, and the businesses are both awesome and addicting. Finished with real estate in Chapter 6, and now I'm about halfway through the cabaret clubs in Chapter 7. The cabaret club in particular is an amazing minigame... could almost be its own little game, really. They should do a mobile version of it!

He's in every game IIRC, though some of them as a bit role. He's also playable in Dead Souls.

Lol, honestly I'm loving the main story and indifferent to most of the minigames. A little too out of my depth on a lot of them and I only really play them if there's a side-story involved.

Except for pool. I'm fucking awesome at pool.

This is the first and only time Majima is a playable character. He's always been important to or had a role in the stories but otherwise he's a relatively minor character in the grand scheme of things.

In Kiwami, the remake of 1 which is COMING OUT THIS SUMMER, they actually expanded his role in the game because he became more and more important in the series as the games went on and they wanted to mirror that for the remake.

Aw, I really like him. At least he's still in the games.

Aki-at

Aw, I really like him. At least he's still in the games.

He's also playable in Dead Souls but that's not a recommendation I can make in good faith haha.

Although his in future games, Majima is a lot more unhinged in his later life so you might feel him as an almost different character.

He's also playable in Dead Souls but that's not a recommendation I can make in good faith haha.

Although his in future games, Majima is a lot more unhinged in his later life so you might feel him as an almost different character.

lol I mean he's not really all that stable now

Aki-at

And unlike Kiryu,
actually wanted to stay in the world of the Yakuza/Tojo

This is why I like Kazama. He's a character who realises he's not a good man but tries his hardest to be a good person despite being involved in the criminal underworld.

So yes I would love a Yakuza game that allows us to take control of him.

lol I mean he's not really all that stable now

If you think he's not stable here... well original Majima is something entirely else. Almost Joker-esque!

DJMicLuv

This is why I like Kazama. He's a character who realises he's not a good man but tries his hardest to be a good person despite being involved in the criminal underworld.

So yes I would love a Yakuza game that allows us to take control of him.

If you think he's not stable here... well original Majima is something entirely else. Almost Joker-esque!

Wasn't it Mark Hamill playing him in Y1? It's been a long time since I played it but I remember after my first encounter with Majima in Y1 I thought he was one of the bad guys and he sort of was.

Yeah, Majima in Y0 is relatively sane (at least so far in my play-through (chap 10)).

I realized I never posted after I cleared Chapter One.

Fuck. That was awesome, reminded me of Shenmue 2 in that lead-up.

Kuze has fucking amazing presence, is hiring actual actors a standard thing for the franchise? Hitoshi Ozawa and his likeness really steal every scene he's in. His
battle music
is amazing too.

Fuck I am excited for this ride. If anyone wants to put the support banner on my avatar I will gladly rep it.

xezuru

I realized I never posted after I cleared Chapter One.

Fuck. That was awesome, reminded me of Shenmue 2 in that lead-up.

Kuze has fucking amazing presence, is hiring actual actors a standard thing for the franchise? Hitoshi Ozawa and his likeness really steal every scene he's in. His
battle music
is amazing too.

Fuck I am excited for this ride. If anyone wants to put the support banner on my avatar I will gladly rep it.

Yakuza always does well in Japan because it's just as much a soap opera as you think is, that makes it easy prey for tons of celebrities to show up which has been very common, females actually decently like the game because the soapish nature and manly boys like kiryu, and it gets easy advertising for like every brand in the world.

all right I've fully upgraded everything I can without doing the real estate subquest.

I have the encounter finder to easily find mr shakedown. Now how do I get the substory/helping people finder with Kiryu?

Lasty95

Everywhere sold out so downloading a copy now.

Never played one before and don't really know what to expect, but love Sega and weird Japanese games so can't imagine I won't enjoy this.

What sort of length we talking?

Is this a 12 hour thing? A 30 hourer?

Floody

Never played one before and don't really know what to expect, but love Sega and weird Japanese games so can't imagine I won't enjoy this.

Story with little side stuff can easily take 40+ hours. Took me a 102 hours to finish it, but I did pretty much everything.

probably 20 hours if you do only the story! I Did 87 hours with all substories completed! And it will takes a lot more if you really want to do EVERYTHING

Lasty95

Sounds good.

Really have no ida what to expect.

In my head it's a sort of Shenmue (although I haven't played it I think i get the gist) vs Streets of Rage with GTA elements.

Close?

Floody

all right I've fully upgraded everything I can without doing the real estate subquest.

I have the encounter finder to easily find mr shakedown. Now how do I get the substory/helping people finder with Kiryu?

You have to do some real estate stuff
after you beat the electronic tycoo, leave and re-enter your office and your assistant will say something about a Tax Inspector, when you leave there'll be a women just outside your office, talk to her to start the substory.

Harmen

If you mainly focus on the story and do a little sidequest or minigame here and there, it will probably be somewhere in the 30 hours. If you are invested in some of the additional content of this game, who knows. This game easily offers 80-100 hours for those who want to see everything.

Mazre

I love how stupidly awesome it is when they just rip off a suit jacket + shirt in one motion, never ceases to be amazing.

Chapter 14 spoilers
Suddenly, Lurch the sniper ninja appears.

Also, loved it when the power of friendship instantly healed Kiryu's gunshot wounds.

Also, loved it when the power of friendship instantly healed Kiryu's gunshot wounds.

i love how stupid the game is, but this one was really lame, especially when you consider that they already did these kind of moment before but better and more realistic
(yakuza 5 ending)

but yeah that's not really a big deal, i mean it's yakuza

Sounds good.

Really have no ida what to expect.

In my head it's a sort of Shenmue (although I haven't played it I think i get the gist) vs Streets of Rage with GTA elements.

Close?

Its closer to a 3D SoR game with RPG elements and a hub world to explore and activities to take part in, in some ways its like Shenmue, but not in other ways. Its nothing like GTA though.

Aki-at

Wasn't it Mark Hamill playing him in Y1? It's been a long time since I played it but I remember after my first encounter with Majima in Y1 I thought he was one of the bad guys and he sort of was.

Yeah, Majima in Y0 is relatively sane (at least so far in my play-through (chap 10)).

Yeah he was, it was a reference to that :p

This cabaret game...I thought you guys were kidding. It's basically been all I've done since I've unlocked it. I wanted to finish this game soon, so I could finish Gravity Rush before Zelda came out, but at this rate it's a no go. Something's gotta' be sacrificed.

It might be Zelda.

Predicting 100 hours spent on this game, but at least once this is done I feel that's the bulk of the game done. Already spent more on this than Y4.

XaosWolf

Finished it. 67 hours, 53% completion. Fantastic game.

Sorta just made a beeline for the ending as I need to finish this and Gravity Rush (and EDF) before March.

So glad with that final cutscene. Thought they'd forgotten about that thing.

Can't wait to get hold of Yakuza Kiwami now. =D

Finally done, 79 hours in and 59.9% completion. 49.8 billion yen.

Man, what a great game. What else is there to say? I can't wait for Yakuza 6.

Just finished the story... hoo fucking boy was this a good impulse buy. I'm in love with it. Will definitely pick up Kiwami when it comes out, and will desperately hope that the Yakuza 2 remaster gets the same Kiwami treatment for PS4.

Majima is, by a long shot, my favorite character out of the story. Loved his character arc. From what I understand, he becomes something of a recurring anti-villain in the series proper, right? I can imagine that his overall arc would be even more impactful if you were used to him as this wild card sort of character before seeing him in the beginning of 0.

Only one question is bugging me:
Can somebody explain to me how the hell Majima recognized Kiryu during the post credits when they never met over the course of the game?

So I know I'm late to this but man, Zap Guns + Encounter Finder and the yen - rolls - in...

I've been in that real-estate minigame for quite a while. Almost done with the Gambling King.

Aki-at

Just finished the story... hoo fucking boy was this a good impulse buy. I'm in love with it. Will definitely pick up Kiwami when it comes out, and will desperately hope that the Yakuza 2 remaster gets the same Kiwami treatment for PS4.

Majima is, by a long shot, my favorite character out of the story. Loved his character arc. From what I understand, he becomes something of a recurring anti-villain in the series proper, right? I can imagine that his overall arc would be even more impactful if you were used to him as this wild card sort of character before seeing him in the beginning of 0.

Only one question is bugging me:
Can somebody explain to me how the hell Majima recognized Kiryu during the post credits when they never met over the course of the game?

The scene in question is probably set some time after the events of Yakuza 0, I'd imagine by now Kiryu's and Majima's reputation within their clans had mean they naturally knew of each other.

I can't wait for Yakuza 6.

I just watched a YouTube review and the reviewer seemed kind of down on it. He felt as thr finale chapter of the Kiryu story it didn't live up to the expectations. Overall, he it was a more limited game than Yakuza 5 and 0. He postulates that the great technical strides between 0/Kiwami and 6 came at the expense of gameplay depth. He also felt the story was much more simplistic, and while it succeded in resolving its conflicts, he didn't find them satisfying conclusions.

With that said, I'm still interested to check it out. Just seems like 0 might be a better game.

Here is the review if your interested: Yakuza 6 Review

Top Bottom