• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Just finished the game yesterday, did every substories, 87 hours! Freaking loved it, the best i did!

i played yakuza 4 (this one was nice since there was a whole explanation of the first 3 games, like 20 minutes each) and 5 thanks to sales this holiday

As for me, Majima is the best! Kiryu is too much emotionless in my tastes (he's better in 0 since he's still young and didn't have as much shit in is life yet), but i still like him

Trying to go for platinum, got legendary difficulty to go... but this 100% completion is killing me! Pushing my grind patience to the limit.

But the game is so fantastic, I want to do it for Goro Majima.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well kinda, yeah.

Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2 had the most "grounded" plot of all of them and IMO were the best ones in regards to story.

Yakuza 3 went in completely new directions with the plot, with a lot of the stuff working, and some of it not. Though it still has the best final boss fight of the series IMO but people have different preferences on that (still playing through Ishin, which is said to have a great one too)

Yakuza 4 introduces 3 new protagonists and allows us to play with 4 separate characters for the first time with each character getting their own chapter where we are introduced to them, learn how to play as them and see their side of the story. It all comes together in the finale. Yakuza 4 is a legitimately fantastic game and because you have protagonists outside of the Yakuza, you get a much broader story and a much more different tone then you usually get. (Akiyama's chapter feels straight up Noir at times)

Yakuza 5 refines the multiple protagonist concept of 5 by also introducing new cities and comletely new jobs/side-missions for each character. It's a great game but story wise, it's INCREDIBLY long and incredibly padded and the story just kinda falls flat tbh. If you treat each individual chapter as it's own game, then you'll have a LOT more fun IMO.

Now my advice would be to wait for Kiwami, a remake of Yakuza 1, which is coming out this summer. Once you're done with that, you can see if you want to play Yakuza 2. Regardless of whether you do or don't, you can then play through the next 3 Yakuza games (IF YOU WANT)

Then move on to Yakuza 6 which is coming Early 2018. Alternatively, you can simply play Kiwami and then move onto Yakuza 6 once it drops. This is a completely viable option as I assure you, you won't be lost story wise. The games are mainly stand alone stories and even then, the game has a recap option to catch you up.
Wow. Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise they were remaking Yakuza 1. It can't wait. It feels like I'm getting a sequel to a ridiculously huge game within a couple months of its release. Crazy.

Dio

Banned
Wow. Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise they were remaking Yakuza 1. It can't wait. It feels like I'm getting a sequel to a ridiculously huge game within a couple months of its release. Crazy.

The game was already remade last year, it's coming west summer of this year so you won't have to wait too much longer for it in english.

Aki-at

The ultimate question guys...

Kiryu or Majima?

It's not really a hard question for me.

Kiryu > Goda > Kazama > Nishikiyama > Akiyama > Majima

The only thing I haven't liked so much so far is (Chapter... 8 spoilers, I think?):
Majima is written a lot like Kiryu sometimes. When you first meet Nishitani in the Cabaret Grand, I'd swear I was watching a Kiryu/Majima scene, only with Majima playing Kiryu and Nishitani as Majima. I'm only halfway through the story, though, so I don't know if this is an intentional stage of character development for him, but so far he's been very un-Majima (outside of his Dancer style whooping and hollering).

I'm in Chapter 11 now, moving fast because everything just got super real after the bat tattoo/Empty Lot owner reveals.

One of my biggest complaints with the game was
I didn't really feel like as I was playing as Majima, Just a more mellow and sarcastic Kiryu. If that was the case I'd rather have played as Kazuma the whole game.

Finished Yakuza 0 at 75 hours, with around 65% completion. Most sub-stories done with exception of telephone dating quest & dance-related final bosses. (Isobe & Ogita)

As a whole, I would say this is the 2nd best Yakuza game for me, only barely behind the obvious favourite Yakuza 2. And Yakuza 0 had plenty of opportunities to surpass Yakuza 2 for me if not for shortfalls in what I felt are some unsatisfactory character arcs.

To me, Yakuza 0 really shines at its core, with its overarching story of the Empty Lot, that very excellent weaves a well-paced two-pronged story about grit, struggle and money between Kiryu and Majima respectively.

That excellent core is amplified, and realised by what I feel is probably the best newly introduced side-character ensemble cast of them all. I loved every one of the new characters. Kuze, Awano and Shibusawa are the best antagonists for the series since 2, and everyone from Lee, Makoto, Tachibana, Sagawa, etc were all very well-realised and characters that I was attached to.

Where it falls short, imo, are the character arcs for some of these characters. They're interesting, well-written and fits their place in the story, but their personal arcs are cut-short, abrupt, or feels like their place in the grand story ended before it began. To me, where this was most apparent was with Majima's story.

Based on how they framed the dialogue, it's clear that the place of characters like
Nishitani
were meant to be [Yakuza 0 full game spoiler]
a look into the window of different people in Majima's life that eventually influence him to be a wilder, less hinged person, but Nishitani getting killed off at the prison really sold the relationship and potential character arc short. Ideally I would have loved to see the arc of them wrecking havoc together at the Benten Inn together, have more bromantic moments before Nishitani sacrificed himself for Majima, instead of the colder, harsher death.

There's pros and cons for sure. What we got was more realistic (to an extent) and less romanticist, but the series and game is already chock full of romanticized yakuza sense of life and brotherhood that if you're having that kind of arc, do it properly.

Kiryu's side of the side-characters are better realised, but Majima's story was more personal and interesting, so there's a weird balancing thing there.

IOne of my biggest complaints with the game was
I didn't really feel like as I was playing as Majima, Just a more mellow and sarcastic Kiryu. If that was the case I'd rather have played as Kazuma the whole game.

About 2/3rds through the game, it dawned on me that Yakuza 0 was not , either by choice or the writing team inability, a game about Kiryu and Majima's origin story about their legendary pre-Yakuza 1 days.

It's about a story before even that, where it justifies
and puts into place the seeds about how a Yakuza 0 Majima could genuinely, eventually become the Mad Dog of Shimano. But it's not about a story about that change or even that time of Majima's life, it's a story that setups that change... but leaves the real transformation to our imaginations orz

That story is left for the
character outcome montage halfway through credits lol

NEO0MJ

While I'm enjoying the game overall despite only just clearing chapter three, I have a nitpick regarding the in-game cut-scenes. The way they talk looks kinda creepy.

timberger

Choose lightest/red ball
Take the X to the farthest right
Aim at the center pin
Go for 95 or above power
Tap right on the dpad to spin if necessary

I tried this method, but was only getting occasional strikes. Tried experimenting a tad with going all the way right or left and actually managed to do it (On like the fifth 10 frame game of the evening) by moving the ball all the way left, using the heaviest ball, aiming as far right as possible, as much power as possible and putting maximum spin to the left. Maybe I just got lucky with this method, but my god the relief.

Thanks for the help Rymuth. Got me on the right track at least :p

Peff

Just keep in mind that the remake is essentially an elaborate DLC expansion pack. The project was greenlit because Yakuza Zero contains like 90% of Yakuza 1's asset pool and locations, so it's a cheap project that doesn't have a lot of "sequel-y" stuff compared to zero even though it is still a fully featured game with the original story and sidequests.

Rymuth

I tried this method, but was only getting occasional strikes. Tried experimenting a tad with going all the way right or left and actually managed to do it (On like the fifth 10 frame game of the evening) by moving the ball all the way left, using the heaviest ball, aiming as far right as possible, as much power as possible and putting maximum spin to the left. Maybe I just got lucky with this method, but my god the relief.

Thanks for the help Rymuth. Got me on the right track at least :p
You're welcome ^^ At least you got it, haha.

The trick is for the ball to go into the pins diagonally. Once you 'envision' that, it doesn't matter what method or presets you use

This story has just been punching me in the gut over and over. I'm up to the beginning of Chapter 15 now, going to finish it off tomorrow. This is definitely right up there with Yakuza 2. I've loved every Yakuza game to varying degrees (not so much Dead Souls, but it did have its moments), but 2 and 0 are just another league entirely. I absolutely cannot wait to see how it all ends.

Rymuth

How do I win pocket race 2? KHHsubs says to use Torque Motor 2.0 which you can get from the dragon quest substory but I already did that...

Seeing the familiar cities in a different time period, and hearing all this stuff about Kazama's glory days, has me really hankering for a Yakuza set in the '60s with a younger Kazama as the protagonist. Seeing the legend in action, way before he ever met Kiryu; sort of like Yakuza's version of MGS3. Now that they're finished with Kiryu after 6, I think that'd be a really cool setting for the next game.

Yakuza 3 spoilers:
His secret identical twin doesn't need to be involved :p

Seeing the familiar cities in a different time period, and hearing all this stuff about Kazama's glory days, has me really hankering for a Yakuza set in the '60s with a younger Kazama as the protagonist. Seeing the legend in action, way before he ever met Kiryu; sort of like Yakuza's version of MGS3. Now that they're finished with Kiryu after 6, I think that'd be a really cool setting for the next game.

Yakuza 3 spoilers:

I know the lore always had it, but that was actually something I found to be a bit annoying in Y0 lol, was that there was too much Kazama worship or pedestal placing whenever he's brought up.

Even if it was a key motivation for the Three Lieutenants, They laid it a bit too thick imo.

Ultimadrago

I know the lore always had it, but that was actually something I found to be a bit annoying in Y0 lol, was that there was too much Kazama worship or pedestal placing whenever he's brought up.

Even if it was a key motivation for the Three Lieutenants, They laid it a bit too thick imo.

Does that not make sense in the grand scope of the series? Yakuza 0 has me thinking he's a pretty big fuckin' deal.

Is there a reliable way to hit enemies with firearms? Or do you have to just eyeball it in their general direction?

I eyeball their general direction with the odd dodge if they're very far. As Kiryu, I'm usually in Beast Mode and he actually has a node which allows him to block bullets in defense stance, so I use that a lot.

Does that not make sense in the grand scope of the series? Yakuza 0 has me thinking he's a pretty big fuckin' deal.

I eyeball their general direction with the odd dodge if they're very far. As Kiryu, I'm usually in Beast Mode and he actually has a node which allows him to block bullets in defense stance, so I use that a lot.

He is a big player in Kiwami, but after that Kiryu himself does so much shit that he pretty much replaces Kazama in terms of "God to the Yakuza" status.

Also you can dodge bullets in Rush mode by holding down L1. It's such a
Rush
. Also by using the quickstep in every style that has it

Ultimadrago

He is a big player in Kiwami, but after that Kiryu himself does so much shit that he pretty much replaces Kazama in terms of "God to the Yakuza" status.

Also you can dodge bullets in Rush mode. It's such a
Rush

Aah, okay. I could certainly see the narrative running into that. Talking anime/manga, numerous combat shonen run into that very issue quite often. lol

Rymuth

Yakuza 3 spoilers:
We do not talk about that. I refuse to believe that happened.

According to the Business section of the menu there are still 2 properties I haven't purchased in the Leisure King area- both are actual stores (Poppo and Sushi place) that also happen to have Friendship events tied to them. Is there supposed to be a way to buy these properties? Or is it an indicator of a bonus that comes from finishing the 2 substories in those locations?

We do not talk about that. I refuse to believe that happened.

They need to retcon the
"identical twin"
part and they got a setup for one fantastic story on their hands.

According to the Business section of the menu there are still 2 properties I haven't purchased in the Leisure King area- both are actual stores (Poppo and Sushi place) that also happen to have Friendship events tied to them. Is there supposed to be a way to buy these properties? Or is it an indicator of a bonus that comes from finishing the 2 substories in those locations?
The substory is just talking to them for the first time and starting the friendship gauge, then the substory is completed.

You need to finish the friendship gauge for that place and they'll automatically give you the property once you talk to them for the first time after filling the gauge. Different places have different requirements.

Ultimadrago

They'd be bonuses for completing the Friendship Substories.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, just that the implementation could be toned down a little in terms of some of the praise and worship given to him and still not lose the impact.

I would say the same for [Chapter 11 Y0 spoiler]
Nishitani's death. It could be a little less melodramatic and still be as impactful. That scene got ramped up to eleven unnecessarily to the point the pauses and lack/slowness of reaction felt weird just for the sake of delivering the full speech and getting a few more bullets.

Kiryu is pretty much a living legend in Yakuzaverse by the end of 2.

Ultimadrago

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, just that the implementation could be toned down a little in terms of some of the praise and worship given to him and still not lose the impact.

I would say the same for [Chapter 11 Y0 spoiler]
Nishitani's death. It could be a little less melodramatic and still be as impactful. That scene got ramped up to eleven unnecessarily to the point the pauses and lack/slowness of reaction felt weird just for the sake of delivering the full speech and getting a few more bullets.

I see what you mean and agree on both of those fronts in that case.

They need to retcon the
"identical twin"
part and they got a setup for one fantastic story on their hands.

A rewritten and improved Yakuza 3 could go a looooong way.

The whole local yakuza/orphanage drama element should've been the stronger core focus. With better gameplay loop it could be a calmer, but still fun take on the story.

My god switching back to Kiryu after Majima for the first time is like hitting the E-brake on the plot.
I felt like that at first but then switching back to majima after starting your businesses was like going from winning the lottery every 10 minutes to being on benefits.

I love Majima as a character, but using him is only fun when using the
4th style
. Kiryu with the Quick Change item is just too much fun. Oh you wanna block my Rush mode? Here, let me switch mid combo to my Beast style, grab you, then swing you around while hitting everyone around us!

A rewritten and improved Yakuza 3 could go a looooong way.

The whole local yakuza/orphanage drama element should've been the stronger core focus. With better gameplay loop it could be a calmer, but still fun take on the story.
If you remove BURACK MUNDAY and the SHEE-I-A from the story, and replaced it with something more
believable then Yakuza 3 would legitimately have one of the best stories in the series.

It has everything.
A starting sequence/chapter that's so down to earth that you can't help but feel for the characters, a lovely little city setting with FANTASTIC characters that you just can't help but like, an AWESOME main villain in the form of Mine (who you'll notice has a belief system that runs pretty much opposite to Kiryu and what he's trying to teach his kids), a compelling reason to go to Kamurocho and lots of character and fun situations with Rikiya, and in general a compelling story and narrative.

hichanbis

Banned
55 hours in and still at chapter 10 taking care of the real estate.
I really want to see the rest of the story but the completionist in me just can't do it.

I see what you mean and agree on both of those fronts in that case.

Yeah, to me, when I look at the slate of the praises given to Kazama in Y0, hearing [full game spoiler]
Tachibana go lyrical on Kazama's genius and how it all plays out according to his script
felt just a bit too much. The same stuff could've been said differently and still hold the same meaning and impact.

Whereas I think it really, really worked when [full game spoiler]
Shibusawa and Acting 2nd Chairman were the one who brought it up. Shibusawa was full-on salty with Kazama envy and it makes sense to talk that way because of how invested he is in taking Kazama down. 2nd Chairman also brought it up in context to after 1 billion was offered for Kiryu's safety, so it ties back well.

If you remove BURACK MUNDAY and the SHEE-I-A from the story, and replaced it with something more
believable then Yakuza 3 would legitimately have one of the best stories in the game.[/SPOILER]

Yeah, those two elements feel really forced in the sense that... it felt like something had to be there to match the scale from Y1 and Y2, which went places, despite the fact that Y3 is a smaller and more personal story in the first place.

which sidestory do you have to do to get the item that lets you see encounters in the map?

I want to do that one so I can fight Mr Shakedown more often without wasting time running around the map if he's not there.

which sidestory do you have to do to get the item that lets you see encounters in the map?

I want to do that one so I can fight Mr Shakedown more often without wasting time running around the map if he's not there.

Which Chapter are you at?

For Kiryu you can only get it at around Chapter 5, after you're introduced to that mini-game.

For Majima, there is this dude wearing a jacket near the bridge...

You need to complete 3 side-story for Kiryu to unlock Encounter Finder.

1. Producer
2. Music Video Shooting

After that somewhere near Taihei Boulevard will trigger random NPCs that will trigger Substory 12. Go to Maharaja to finish that substory.

CHOOSE THE BLACK BOX.

done. thanks. Now I need a gif of Kiryu's 'WOOO!'

Top Bottom