• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

brau

Yeah, do that.

image.php

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chapter 15... story is going places!!!
Just fought Nishiki, complete with his own heroic boss theme. That was awesome!

Freddo

Finally got all the CPs related to The Dragon & Tiger, damn what a boring chore that was! Now I only have the fishing, the betting in West Park and the mahjong left, and then I can go and finish the game.

I love the Yakuza games (main story, side stories, the combat and so on), but I suspect this will be the last time i bother to go 100% in them, I'm getting really tired of it.

Few question for people who have managed to get all CP stuff.

How did you get the certain hands in Mahjong? I've been playing for hours and I still haven't been able to get any of them besides the Full Straight one (which did take hours as well).

Is there any easy way to get these or should I just keep on playing and praying to get the right tiles.

P.S: We just out-paged THE FREAKING RESIDENT EVIL 7 OT!!!!

HOLY SHIT!

Alastor3

Quick question: is it me or does enemy in the streets start with more health in chapter 6?
and no, I don't have the charismatic book equiped.

Also, I got the equipment that said changed my fighting style faster but it's still the same speed...

I highly recommend newcomers not view any videos of Kiwami or ruin themselves on the story. It's really something worth experiencing as blind as possible.

If you have any gameplay related questions, I and others in the thread will try our best to answer but just know that if you enjoyed Zero then you will also like Kiwami.

Yeah... I spoiled myself what happen to kiryu
he got to jail, its not that of a spoiler but still :(
:(

Quick question: is it me or does enemy in the streets start with more health in chapter 6?
and no, I don't have the charismatic book equiped.

Also, I got the equipment that said changed my fighting style faster but it's still the same speed...
Yes, the enemies get more health and start whipping out more weaponry as you progress through the game.

you mean the rainbow coloured shirt? Yeah, you can now change styles at any point of a combo or move (not heat moves) and it's much faster too.

HOLY SHIT!
Baker family doesn't hold a candle to Nugget.

Rymuth

How did you get the certain hands in Mahjong? I've been playing for hours and I still haven't been able to get any of them besides the Full Straight one (which did take hours as well).

Is there any easy way to get these or should I just keep on playing and praying to get the right tiles.

HOLY SHIT!
What hands are you having trouble with?

What hands are you having trouble with?
I don't know how to get a Haneman. I know that you need 6-7 Hans, but I don't know what's the best way to get them.

I can get one Riichi in like every 7-8 hands and I need to get the hand in which your first tile after declaring Riichi is the one that you need (iipatsu?). And I also, haven't been able to get the hand in which you just discard 1, 9 and the honorific tiles until you reach a draw. (you have to get this hand 5 times! WTF!?

Basically, I've only managed to get one full straight hand. Nothing else.

Seiryoden

HOLY SHIT!

Re: Mahjong - Read this guide if you're desperate. TLDR: play with red dora, go for cheap hands, richii when you can and hope to hit the ura-dora. I THINK that a haneman hand counts for the Mangan requirement too, but I could be wrong. I have the CP completion but then I've played a lot of Mahjong :(

Edit: Sorry, you're an old hand so you'll have read Barticle's guide already. I'll fire up the PS4 and see if I can actually contribute something useful o_O

Edit 2: Yeah, play at the low stakes table with half game and red dora on. Go for your seat wind. The only tricky CP is riichi ippatsu which I don't even remember getting - dumb luck I guess.

I miss the piss mountain stone etc ;_; I guess they didn't need that stuff in the Bubble years.

Rymuth

I don't know how to get a Haneman. I know that you need 6-7 Hans, but I don't know what's the best way to get them.

I can get one Riichi in like every 7-8 hands and I need to get the hand in which your first tile after declaring Riichi is the one that you need. And I also, haven't been able to get the hand in which you just discard 1 & 9 and the honorific tiles until you reach a draw. (you have to get this hand 5 times! WTF!?

Basically, I've only managed to get one full straight hand. Nothing else.
Haha, I have the opposite problem. I still haven't gotten a full straight but that's probably because I wasn't specifically going after it. :3

For Haneman, I'd say grab as many Dora tiles as possible. One time, the Dora wall showed 4 kanji -- which meant that that Dora was the 5 kanji and I had three of them already. And it just so happens that one of them is red, so that's an extra Dora right there

Riichi = 1 han
3 Dora = 3 han
Red Dora = 1 han

That's 5 han down And just basically lucked out with the reverse Dora and self draw win in one turn :)

As for the no 1s or 9s in your hand, just keep at it. Discard your 1s and 9s and work your hand around that. Probability will come your way eventually!

Unknown?

Just beat the story! Can't wait for Kiwami!

On an unrelated note, I'm assuming Dojima is Japanese but he looks more black to me. Idk he just doesn't look Asian to me.

MoonFrog

First Yakuza game I've played (just beat it), and I think I'll be doing more of the series, starting with that remake of the first one coming this summer.

Story was fairly slow to start, but it got rolling pretty well after a while and then tapered off a lot when
Tachibana died
. So I thought the ending was fairly weak and the beginning a bit "I'll see if this goes anywhere," but the middle, especially late middle when
both the story of Tachibana and Makoto was coming out and the battle lines of the Yakuza power struggle began to become clear
was golden.

The fights could get a bit repetitive, but for the most part the combat was fun and stylish.

I didn't do much of the open world style content, i.e. the sidequests or the business stuff. I enjoyed the sidequests I did do, for the most part. Wasn't really the kind of content I wanted to grind, though; served me well as sporadic comic interludes.

I liked the actors a lot, or at least the powerful Yakuza actors. Refreshing faces/voices for a video game and some I think I've seen in films when I was a kid/teen. Generally, the side cast stole the show.

I do hope Kiryu has more room to be interesting in the other games. I liked his half of the story and Kamurocho, better than the Osaka content and I thought his stuffiness was a compelling basic personality, but he didn't really get to see much growth. I did like his friendship with Nishiki, which judging by the after-credits, goes somewhere in the original games.

On an unrelated note, I'm assuming Dojima is Japanese but he looks more black to me. Idk he just doesn't look Asian to me.
Again, glad they have faces more like you'd see in a gangster movie than a video game, so it is not just the standard faces.

SHIT YEAH!

now let's see us take the 0 giveaway thread, haha
Lol.

Though, really Irish. Even in your wildest dreams, did you thought we would ever be able to say this one day? That a Yakuza OT would have more pages than an OT for a mainline RE game! And they released in the same freaking day! Holy crap, that's amazing.

Re: Mahjong - Read this guide if you're desperate. TLDR: play with red dora, go for cheap hands, richii when you can and hope to hit the ura-dora. I THINK that a haneman hand counts for the Mangan requirement too, but I could be wrong. I have the CP completion but then I've played a lot of Mahjong :(

Edit: Sorry, you're an old hand so you'll have read Barticle's guide already. I'll fire up the PS4 and see if I can actually contribute something useful o_O

Edit 2: Yeah, play at the low stakes table with half game and red dora on. Go for your seat wind. The only tricky CP is riichi ippatsu which I don't even remember getting - dumb luck I guess.

I miss the piss mountain stone etc ;_; I guess they didn't need that stuff in the Bubble years.
Haha, I have the opposite problem. I still haven't gotten a full straight but that's probably because I wasn't specifically going after it. :3

For Haneman, I'd say grab as many Dora tiles as possible. One time, the Dora wall showed 4 kanji -- which meant that that Dora was the 5 kanji and I had three of them already. And it just so happens that one of them is red, so that's an extra Dora right there

Riichi = 1 han
3 Dora = 3 han
Red Dora = 1 han

That's 5 han down And just basically lucked out with the reverse Dora and self draw win in one turn :)

As for the no 1s or 9s in your hand, just keep at it. Discard your 1s and 9s and work your hand around that. Probability will come your way eventually!
I guess I got really lucky with that full straight hand then, haha.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm already using Red Dora and have been playing on low stakes. I haven't really paid attention to the Dora though, so I'll keep an eye out for that. I guess I was hoping that there would be some sort of cheating item that I might've overlooked
(isn't there an item that says it'll improve your luck or something? Or is that just for combat stuff?)
but it seems like, this time I have to do these gambling stuff legit, hahaha.

I too miss the cheating items T_T

Lol.

I too miss the cheating items T_T

Cheating items were removed from 0 I'm afraid Sparda. So your going to have to do it the old fashioned way! I remember it taking me a good long while to get the 7 pairs hand in this, and I still need to do the same for Yakuza 4 (for the trophy).

I've now come to a conclusion.

I am simply not the type of person who platinums Yakuza games.

I can live with that.

I wish I could come to that conclusion. Yet here I am wanting to replay Yakuza 3 to try for the mini game master trophy again! I still think I can do it with enough patience!

bwakh

okay I think...I just finished chapter 6.

just a couple things... i'm guessing beast is the best fighting style to use if you're fighting multiple opponents? even then though I feel like it's really sluggish.

so
so that sewer fight, i'm guessing kuze will come back a 3rd time for a bossfight since Kiryu did not kill him...wtf man you should have killed him.

and that guy in the purple suit, why did he shoot the chick? is he just some fuckin psychopath or something?

lastly...how did Nishiki not constantly complain about how stinky Kiryu was...fighting in the sewer water, and being soaked in it so long that it dries up on him. You nasty, Kiryu.

I would throw that suit out and never wear it again. But, yes...not onto chapter 7 (?) today at work on remote play. however...am I the only one that's enjoying Majima's saga more than Kiryu's?

Dude sat dirty in his car and drove away. Lol. Baller.

I feel like it is beneficial to interchange fighting styles when in a crowd. I usually rush at weaker opponents in a gang and switch to beast and grab ones that block often. Once you get perfect sync, it feels awesome.

It's like switching between Lee and King from Tekken nearly.

I really wish SEGA would go and make a Project Diva style game but with nothing but Yakuza karaoke songs. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even if the MVs are just Kiryu clapping awkwardly.

By the way, how do you do the heat move for Majima where he shoves the baseball bat down someone's mouth and kicks it? All slugger heat moves I can perform are the standard ones that Kiryu can also do.

I really wish SEGA would go and make a Project Diva style game but with nothing but Yakuza karaoke songs. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even if the MVs are just Kiryu clapping awkwardly.

By the way, how do you do the heat move for Majima where he shoves the baseball bat down someone's mouth and kicks it? All slugger heat moves I can perform are the standard ones that Kiryu can also do.

I'd buy that game in a heartbeat (then again I am glued to Project Diva Future Tone currently so maybe that has something to do with it). Port it to the Vita while they are at it just so I can play it on the go...
Likewise, I'd totally buy a mini games compilation for portables - being able to take the Yakuza versions of Mah Jong, Darts, Pool etc. on the go with me would rock. That and it might finally give me the push I need to learn Shogi proper.

As for that heat move (going on memory here...) I think you have to press the circle button (I think while an enemy is blocking) to jab them then hit triangle as soon as the heat prompt appears to pull the heat move off.

Project Diva Haruka with a full on idol lifestyle story mode with expanded dance battles and expanded mini games of all the activities an idol has to do like photo shoots and fan meet ups.

Cabaret Grand : Lord of the Night Majima prequel aka full blown cabaret management sim game with all the drama of having to earn the trust of your staff, hostesses and poaching hostesses from other clubs.

My $120 is waiting, SEGA.

dock

I didn't enjoy Shenmue 1, I got bored midway through Shenmue 2, and I never even opened my copies of Yakuza 1 + 2 on PS2.

Unwisely, I just bought a copy of Yakuza 0. Please help me play this game and not hit my fatigue and weariness of Shenmue all over again. Which difficulty setting should I use? How can I mainline the content and reduce the amount of boring combat? What is the most fun way to play it?

I'm mostly smitten by the promise of 1980s Tokyo.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Beat the game. 75 hours, hard mode.

It was awesome.
Shibusawa was my favorite villain, a place he earned only at the very end, during his pre-battle speech. The other villains all seemed to be hot-headed fighters, but Shibusawa was a down-to-earth, rational, threatening criminal.

Nishitani was clearly meant to inspire Majima's later crazy attitude, but he was in the game for like three scenes. I was ready to go beat people up with him and he just up and died almost right after being introduced. Lame.

Yakuza 1 spoilers

I wish I didn't know about the Nishiki twist going into this game. He was such a good bro for its entire run. It's going to hit hard when I play Kiwami (since I hardly remember the context of his villain role in that game) but it would have hit harder if I didn't already know it was going to happen.

I didn't enjoy Shenmue 1, I got bored midway through Shenmue 2, and I never even opened my copies of Yakuza 1 + 2 on PS2.

Unwisely, I just bought a copy of Yakuza 0. Please help me play this game and not hit my fatigue and weariness of Shenmue all over again. Which difficulty setting should I use? How can I mainline the content and reduce the amount of boring combat? What is the most fun way to play it?

Well, it's all subjective. Some people get a kick out of doing side stuff and main stuff side by side, some do main story entirely first then do side stuff, and some do the opposite.

It's up to you to find out how you want to play because all 3 ways of playing are just fine. The game is fairly easy (IMO) if you've played beat em ups or brawlers before. If you have experience with that, then I'd suggest hard. Otherwise, you can go for medium or even easy.

The story takes place in the form of cutscenes and dialogue, then you're usually told to go somewhere to continue the story. It's at that point where you can meander about and just do side activities or side quests or minigames, whatever catches your fancy. IF you don't wanna do that, just continue on to the destination and play the story.

Any other questions you might have, we'll be here to answer :)

And just know that the Shenmue comparison is really not entirely accurate and if there's one complaint I've never heard thrown at the Yakuza series, it's boring combat.

Hey, anyone know where I can catch a soft shell turtle?
Go to the local river in Sotenbori and fish. The little two-circled things are where you get the turtles. You can get bait from the convenience stores, and buy the highest quality fishing rod from the Pawn shop. Alternatively, you can also get that turtle from 100,000 Yen Dream Machines, but it's completely RNG.

It's not Shenmue, just try.

As for that heat move (going on memory here...) I think you have to press the circle button (I think while an enemy is blocking) to jab them then hit triangle as soon as the heat prompt appears to pull the heat move off.

Cheers. Gonna try that out later.

I love-hate how much of a time-sink the game can be lol. I initially wanted to spend 30 min playing mahjong but ended up spending almost 2 hours.

Gacha-pin

That man is the yakuza. In this game, he has the most stereotyped yakuza look all Japanese agree with.

I finally got the last telephone club woman. Kind of glad to be done with it. It was a good idea, but the mechanics of it got repetitive after a while because of the lack of variation in answers.

It's hard for me to adequately answer this because I never really get tired of the combat (after 40+ hours), but this game does have two different characters with 3 unique fighting styles each, so it keeps things fresh.

If you have trouble with action games, go for Normal, but otherwise Hard offers a better challenge without being brutally difficult.

You can ignore most of the sidequests and minigames if you want and just focus on the main narrative, but I'd suggest mixing it up between serious and fun. There's enough different types of side activities that you should find something you think is fun.

Rymuth

Could someone please explain the ura-dora and the no points hand ?
image009.png

In this picture, the indicator is the Chun/Red Dragon which means the Dora for this game is the White Dragon.

The tile beneath it is the Ura/Bottom Dora. If you win with a Riichi, you expose it to get a chance at more Dora bonuses.

A no-points hand has no triplets, wind or dragon tiles

Cheers. Gonna try that out later.

I love-hate how much of a time-sink the game can be lol. I initially wanted to spend 30 min playing mahjong but ended up spending almost 2 hours.

I know that feeling. I've spent many hours playing the Mah Jong mini game. Just one more match I keep telling myself!
I always have the problem with how I'll walk off in one direction to continue with the story and get distracted 5 times before actually doing what I set out to do - a few random fights here and there to pull off heat moves, maybe a quick mini game or two, oh look a new side story...

Gacha-pin

Could someone please explain the ura-dora and the no points hand ?

image009.png

In this picture, the indicator is the Chun/Red Dragon which means the Dora for this game is the White Dragon.

The tile beneath it is the Ura/Bottom Dora. If you win with a Riichi, you expose it to get a chance at more Dora bonuses.

A no-points hand has no triplets, wind or dragon tiles

And it has to be ryanmen-machi. I don't know how this is called in English. The last tile has to be the smallest one or the biggest one in a sequential group.

8bit

Knows the Score
Go to the local river in Sotenbori and fish. The little two-circled things are where you get the turtles. You can get bait from the convenience stores, and buy the highest quality fishing rod from the Pawn shop. Alternatively, you can also get that turtle from 100,000 Yen Dream Machines, but it's completely RNG.

Thx, spent hours last night there and kept getting Crayfish so was wondering if I needed to go somewhere else.

Thx, spent hours last night there and kept getting Crayfish so was wondering if I needed to go somewhere else.

Keep in mind certain fish (or turtles in this case) only appear at certain times of day. Its easier in Premium Adventure mode since you can change the Time of Day via safe houses). Some fish only appear during the day/sunset/night time so its always worth doing a bit of fishing in each area as the ToD changes.

Karu

Complete Yakuza-newb and just finished Zero after exactly 32:59 hours (18,18% completion rate lol). What an incredible game from start to finish. After Chapter 6 or so, I abondened the side stuff - also it entertained me greatly - because the story is just that great. Riveting, thrilling, emotional and their way of hyping up climax moments is incredible. The cinematics are numerous, the music is on point, the game oozes style in those regards.

+ Story is fantastic
+ the large roaster of characters is well supported within the framework of Yakuza 0, and I don't even speak of the endless quirky side-mission characters
+ As I mentioned, the presentation and music is fucking HYPE (the intro-trailer when you start up the game is pretty great example)
+ The small, but dense city areas are full of detail and stuff to do. A vast GTA-style city would have hurt this game immensely

o The combat is servicable. Nothing to write home about, but still fun, especially in boss battles where you just want to beat the shit out of certain individuals

- Fuck gun-wielding enemies, though. Get that shit outta there
- I don't know if this is necessarily a review-"negative", but man... there is some creeeepy shit in this game lol

I'm honestly baffled at how good this game is. Baaaffled. This game shoots up my alltime fav-list and certainly stands near the top in terms of vg stories. I can't friggin wait for Kiwami.

I'm still thinking of Yakuza 0's overall epilogue.

Even after the rollercoaster of action and emotions that is the climax till the final fight, the long epilogue still manages to be an emotional rollercoaster of its own calibre.

That exchange of dialogue between those two characters.
Majima and Sagawa
Whew.

Top Bottom