• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Mediking

Lol I feel like this game was made just for gamers like me. I love it. Embracing fanservice and action and charm is just a 10/10.

Also, use Fever Time wisely. With one bar filled, up to two tables can enter Fever Time, with two bars filled it's 4 tables and with three bars, all tables can enter Fever Time simultaniously. And keep in mind that entering fever time won't reset the clock for a current session...if the costumer only has 2 seconds left and you enter Fever Time it's kind of a waste. Unsatisfied costumers will instantly turn completly happy and satisfied though, if you use it on them.

i'll refer back to this once I'm in Majima's saga again, which I'm guessing won't be for another 2 chapters.

also to recap...
so Lee died? Damn, what a horrible way to go. i want to see what the doctor has to say about it
Wow at the end of chapter 8 (?) I think when they subtly reveal
who has the bat tattoo

At the start of that scene I was thinking to myself that it was pretty
gratuitous and unnecessary to have him shirtless. Then as the scene ends and the camera pans while Kiryu's conversation is winding down, and I said "HOLY SHIT" and my wife comes running into the room wondering who was working with the Russians now, and was a little disappointed that I was only HOLY SHITting Yakuza, but she doesn't understand
I hope I didn't just get spoiled because I just finished chapter 8 and
the new face was in a suit, I didn't see any bat tattoos on him...

Desmond

So, for the Yakuza vets, where does 0 stand amongst the series? Has anyone been able to play 6?

I've played the demo only thus far, will buy it and Kiwami when I head back to Japan in a week or so. I personally felt that the games have not gotten worse at all. 4, 5, Ishin, and 0 are all fantastically made.

6 is supposedly lacking in parts, which I was say is down to the new engine. Some new additions like the Clan Builder look fantastic imo.

So, for the Yakuza vets, where does 0 stand amongst the series? Has anyone been able to play 6?
Keep in mind, I haven't played 6 or the Samurai ones.

That said, do you mean in terms of story or gameplay? In terms of story, I'd place it above all but 2. Even then, it's close, and I haven't finished 0 yet. Not being able to fail substories now lets you experiment with the goofy, jokey dialogue and still see the resolution, which I think benefits that system as a whole.

In terms of gameplay, it's definitely my favorite. The minigames are a little lackluster, but other than that, there's almost nothing any other game in the series does better than 0 in gameplay.

Desmond

That said, do you mean in terms of story or gameplay? In terms of story, I'd place it above all but 2. Even then, it's close, and I haven't finished 0 yet. Not being able to fail substories now lets you experiment with the goofy, jokey dialogue and still see the resolution, which I think benefits that system as a whole.

In terms of gameplay, it's definitely my favorite. The minigames are a little lackluster, but other than that, there's almost nothing any other game in the series does better than 0 in gameplay.

You didn't find Yakuza 5 to have better gameplay? Replaying it now and it seems slightly more polished. A PS4 remaster would do it wonders.

Storywise I would put 4 above it ever so slightly.

edit: HOW COULD I FORGET THE PSP GAMES?!

Dwayne

Does anyone know if "The Business Launch Edition" is still the only edition available from Amazon? I finally got mine from Amazon (i'm in New Zealand) and they decided to send it in a bubble wrap envelope, so it's absolutely crushed. I've requested a replacement, but currently i'm not sure if they're going to be able to give me this version.

Edit: asked amazon, apparently yes.

Chapter 10 suitably begins with a nice little "Oh shit" moment. I'm hooked.

Kind of glad to have spent so much time on subquests, real estate and the cabaret. Fairly rich, fairly powerful, and can now fully enjoy the plot while it goes into overdrive. Unless there's another big mini game I'm not aware of yet.

...Is there?

I kind of get it, because as the game goes on, random encounters get longer because enemies have more health and weapons. So fights that used to take maybe 15-20 seconds and one full combo per enemy are now a minute or two long, but aren't necessarily that much more difficult or tactically interesting. And sometimes you just want to get to a place without getting beat down, and the silent shoes don't seem to actually drop the encounter rate very much, and you have to be a certain distance away from pursuers for cash confetti to work properly, so sometimes you're in a position where you just don't want to fight anymore but here you are, a bunch more scrubs that neat a good beating.

Not sure I agree with this. The enemies do get tougher, but I think the fights get more interesting because you should be unlocking your style skill trees at the same time. The tactical choices with moves that open up to you are what make it interesting (to me), especially with the shirt that lets you quick-switch between styles.

As for the encounter rate, well you can always just run away. After a block or so they give up the chase.

Aki-at

Going to go a bit over the top here and rank them by what each does the best.

Story
2 > 1 > 0 > 3 = 4 > 5

Substories
0 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Minigames
5 > 0 > 4 = 3 > 2 > 1

Battle System
0 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Music
5 > 0 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Long Battles
5 > 3 > 4 > 0 > 2 > 1

Bosses
5 > 3 > 4 > 0 > 2 > 1

Freeze Frames
5 > 0 > 4 > 3

Finale
5 > 2 > 3 > 0 > 1 > 4

Overall
5 > 2 = 0 > 3 > 4 > 1

(Yes the power of Ryuji Goda is strong, very strong)

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
I kind of get it, because as the game goes on, random encounters get longer because enemies have more health and weapons. So fights that used to take maybe 15-20 seconds and one full combo per enemy are now a minute or two long, but aren't necessarily that much more difficult or tactically interesting. And sometimes you just want to get to a place without getting beat down, and the silent shoes don't seem to actually drop the encounter rate very much, and you have to be a certain distance away from pursuers for cash confetti to work properly, so sometimes you're in a position where you just don't want to fight anymore but here you are, a bunch more scrubs that neat a good beating.

Majima's better for this because b-b-b-b-b-breakin'. But yeah.

Not sure I agree with this. The enemies do get tougher, but I think the fights get more interesting because you should be unlocking your style skill trees at the same time. The tactical choices with moves that open up to you are what make it interesting (to me), especially with the shirt that lets you quick-switch between styles.

As for the encounter rate, well you can always just run away. After a block or so they give up the chase.

Agreed they do get more interesting later in the game. At the core this is a brawler - the more fights the better. I think overall that what got me hooked on the game when I got into series with Y3.

Even now I am specifically trying to look for thugs to beat up to rake in more cash...still having found that Charismatic Autobiography item :)

Vorheez

I've played the demo only thus far, will buy it and Kiwami when I head back to Japan in a week or so. I personally felt that the games have not gotten worse at all. 4, 5, Ishin, and 0 are all fantastically made.

6 is supposedly lacking in parts, which I was say is down to the new engine. Some new additions like the Clan Builder look fantastic imo.

Well aren't you lucky! Make sure you drop in with plenty of impressions of Y6 ;).

I guess I just meant in terms of an overall package. 0 was so good that I'm eager to discover if that "magic" is at least the same, if not better, in the other games. I guess I'm worried that because 0 is the latest one (6 technically isn't available) it is the peak of the series because it is the product of years of refinement and tweaking from previous formulas. Like, I'm worried that the more I go back, the more the games will lose certain touches or design choices that make 0 so special.

Essentially i just want another 0 lol

DC1

Thinking about cosplaying as Nishiki and a friend as Kiryu for a con next year. I found a cheap burgundy jacket that'll work for a weekend. I might just bring a bunch of Monopoly money and throw it.
Do that but please wear a name tag that reads "Nishiki from Yakuza Zero".

I'm too tired and lazy to post my longer opinions on 6 again. Basically - graphically and the engine are top notch, best the series has ever been. I miss 60FPS though. Lack of loading for shops and battles rocks, so fluid.
Combat is a mixed bag, some nice new things with some missing stuff that really should be put back in for a sequel.
Likewise the city has new areas and mini games to explore, but has a few bits missing from previous games that will disappoint some fans.
I loved the new characters introduced (especially the Hiroshima guys) but the story does have some issues.

Basically its not the best in the series, but its an amazing template for sequel, which has the potential to be the most amazing game in the series.

Thinking about cosplaying as Nishiki and a friend as Kiryu for a con next year. I found a cheap burgundy jacket that'll work for a weekend. I might just bring a bunch of Monopoly money and throw it.

Your friend should cosplay as Nishiki with a name tag that reads "Nishiki".

You should cosplay as Kiryu with a nam tag that reads either "Judgement Kazzy-kun" or "I <3 Nishiki".

Vorheez

I'm too tired and lazy to post my longer opinions on 6 again. Basically - graphically and the engine are top notch, best the series has ever been. I miss 60FPS though. Lack of loading for shops and battles rocks, so fluid.
Combat is a mixed bag, some nice new things with some missing stuff that really should be put back in for a sequel.
Likewise the city has new areas and mini games to explore, but has a few bits missing from previous games that will disappoint some fans.
I loved the new characters introduced (especially the Hiroshima guys) but the story does have some issues.

Basically its not the best in the series, but its an amazing template for sequel, which has the potential to be the most amazing game in the series.
Awesome. Thank you for posting these impressions :)

DC1

I have it at number 3. Just behind Yakuza 3

In truth, my ranking changes every time I think deeply about ranking the Yakuza titles.

2=>0 > 5 > 4 > 1 = 3

Mind you, even the lowest of them are a 8/10 for me ( 2 & 0 are my 9/10s) , and personally the gap in quality of all of them are largely pretty negligible. All of them have compelling stories, character, sidequest, etc and even the games that rank low may be the one with the best stories,etc.

It's just a matter of which has the best balance. 1 has a top-tier story, but characters its strong point since it was the first game and development were quite shallow for many characters. 3 has a good plot and strong characters, but the balance and execution was off, with some poor lows, despite its highs.

DC1

Fantasy Zone is utter balls, no wonder Majima slaps the machine before starting.
Took me three days of off and on gameplay to pass the completion score requirement. I would have kicked the red ball off the stick if given the opportunity.

DC1

Chapter 10 suitably begins with a nice little "Oh shit" moment. I'm hooked.

Kind of glad to have spent so much time on subquests, real estate and the cabaret. Fairly rich, fairly powerful, and can now fully enjoy the plot while it goes into overdrive. Unless there's another big mini game I'm not aware of yet.

...Is there?

images

knock this out in post game. Enjoy the story. You deserve it!

DC1

Story
2 > 1 > 0 > 3 = 4 > 5

Substories
0 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Minigames
5 > 0 > 4 = 3 > 2 > 1

Battle System
0 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Music
5 > 0 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Long Battles
5 > 3 > 4 > 0 > 2 > 1

Bosses
5 > 3 > 4 > 0 > 2 > 1

Freeze Frames
5 > 0 > 4 > 3

Finale
5 > 2 > 3 > 0 > 1 > 4

Overall
5 > 2 = 0 > 3 > 4 > 1

I completely co-sign on this... Outside that immense love for Yakuza 3's standing.

Story
2 > 1 > 0 > 3 = 4 > 5

Substories
0 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Minigames
5 > 0 > 4 = 3 > 2 > 1

Battle System
0 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Music
5 > 0 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Long Battles
5 > 3 > 4 > 0 > 2 > 1

Bosses
5 > 3 > 4 > 0 > 2 > 1

Freeze Frames
5 > 0 > 4 > 3

Finale
5 > 2 > 3 > 0 > 1 > 4

Overall
5 > 2 = 0 > 3 > 4 > 1

I can co-sign most of that outside of a few semi-minor disagreements. But the big one though...in what world do we rank Hidenori Shoji's music below everything else? =(

DC1

Man I just got home and I'm still kinda drunk, lemmme see if I can get though some
More yakuza
Drunk?
Then trust me, don't play the base ball mini game gold rush.. It'll just be a vacuum for your man bag. I've been there far to often and should have learned the first time.

Drunk?
Then trust me, don't play the base ball mini game gold rush.. It'll just be a vacuum for your man bag. I've been there far to often and should have learned the first time.

Yeah and iniust a I an a just dranka decent amount of vodka too after havin 2 whiskey gingers and a shot of whiskey. The guy earlier be said to go to serene Afro a triggering a cutscenes so that's what I'm ginna donnext.

Apologies for the typos I'm on mobile

DC1

Yeah and iniust a I an a just dranka decent amount of vodka too after havin 2 whiskey gingers and a shot of whiskey. The guy earlier be said to go to serene Afro a triggering a cutscenes so that's what I'm ginna donnext.

Apologies for the typos I'm on mobile
Don't apologies (and please don't correct anything).

It's perfect!! (Even on mobile). Shoot out to the late great CBOAT.

mileS

"Samantha is in trouble, and its all because of my pizza"

I send screenshots of this stuff to friends to give them a taste of how random and amazing Yakuza is. Funny both in and out of context.

Megasoum

Banned
Watching gameplay videos of Yakuza 1 on Youtube... I heard about the terrible english voice over work but hooolllyyyy shiiittt hahahaha

Also, it's weird to see a Yakuza game that basically looks like GTA3 lol

Top Bottom