• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I know but it's so much money... It feels like I'm about to break the game.
J U S T D O I T
yakuza-zero-money-slap-animated-gif-ps4-game.gif

Kid is actually a major player in the stories from
Yakuza 2
onwards. Kind of a nice fanservicey thing :)

That's cool to hear.

Also Pocket Racer can get fucked. You can have the best set up but if the course just decides "Here, it's your third attempt to mash 0" you just lose and can't do shit about it no matter your set-up.

Someone modded Yakuza 5 to insert Haruka's character model (and another woman from the game) in place of one of the other playable characters. It's just as awesome as you'd imagine.

Seriously, I would pay lots of money for an alternate reality Yakuza where Haruka just beats the shit out of everybody.

As would I...man, just looking at the video makes me want to fire up Yakuza 5. Criticisms of the story aside, I love the game and moves in it.

I mean Zero tops it with giving me what I've always: playable Majima
including his Mad Dog style.
But there are some things that are making me want to play 5 again. In fact most games in the series have that for me.

As would I...man, just looking at the video makes me want to fire up Yakuza 5. Criticisms of the story aside, I love the game and moves in it.

I mean Zero tops it with giving me what I've always: playable Majima
including his Mad Dog style.
But there are some things that are making me want to play 5 again. In fact most games in the series have that for me.

Akiyama's heat move, and Saejima's ability to pick up freaking stop signs and hurl them at people NEVER gets old.

Also the Haruka battles are really fun.

I am really enjoying Yakuza 0 and everything clicked immediately. That's after owning Yakuza (1) and quite oddly enough not enjoying it for the very limited interactive experience that I was expecting when (wrongly) comparing it to Shenmue. Which, was stupid enough since I didn't like Shenmue for how extremely interactive (yet boring) it was. I also have Yakuza 4 and 5 through PS+ but never once bothered to boot it up, thinking the games are too far along in the series.

Yakuza 0 seems like the perfect move after 5 (canon) games in, and on a new system. Yakuza 6 I fear might be too far along in the story again, but I'll give it a go after enjoying 0 so much.

I really hope Yakuza (Kiwami) comes over here. Seems like a good move with all that in mind.

I am really enjoying Yakuza 0 and everything clicked immediately. That's after owning Yakuza (1) and quite oddly enough not enjoying it for the very limited interactive experience that I was expecting when (wrongly) comparing it to Shenmue. Which, was stupid enough since I didn't like Shenmue for how extremely interactive (yet boring) it was. I also have Yakuza 4 and 5 through PS+ but never once bothered to boot it up, thinking the games are too far along in the series.

Yakuza 0 seems like the perfect move after 5 (canon) games in, and on a new system. Yakuza 6 I fear might be too far along in the story again, but I'll give it a go after enjoying 0 so much.

I really hope Yakuza (Kiwami) comes over here. Seems like a good move with all that in mind.
You can play Kiwami after playing 0, and then jump forward to 6 with very little lost.

All the games are stand-alone stories and it's incredibly rare that they intermix with one another, and even when they do the game very clearly spells it out.

There's also a recap feature in Yakuza 6 to bring you upto speed.

Although my personal suggestion is that if at all possible, you play Yakuza 4 and 5. Because Yakuza 4 is a completely new story that introduces 3 new protagonists and a whole new set of supporting characters. You don't need to play Yakuza 2 or 3.

Aki-at

Kiwami has been confirmed to be a summer release this year, so we'll see you in that OT too! :D

Megasoum

Banned
Btw I heard today that there's a Yakuza 6 demo out in Japan?

Is there a way to get it with a US PS4 and how rough would it be to play it without understanding what's happening? lol...

I don'T care about the story in a demo but I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Is there a way to get it with a US PS4 and how rough would it be to play it without understanding what's happening? lol...

I don'T care about the story in a demo but I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Just make a new PSN account, and set the region to Hong Kong. Sign in with the account on a browser, and "buy" the Ryu ga Gotoku 6 demo. It's the full game with only chapter 1 and certain areas available.

Then log in to the account on your PS4, and download through the library. You can also do this with the JPN version by making a JPN account instead.

Also prepare to be blown away by how seamless everything is.

You can play Kiwami after playing 0, and then jump forward to 6 with very little lost.

All the games are stand-alone stories and it's incredibly rare that they intermix with one another, and even when they do the game very clearly spells it out.

There's also a recap feature in Yakuza 6 to bring you upto speed.

Although my personal suggestion is that if at all possible, you play Yakuza 4 and 5. Because Yakuza 4 is a completely new story that introduces 3 new protagonists and a whole new set of supporting characters. You don't need to play Yakuza 2 or 3.

I had no idea about the stand alone stories of it. That's good to hear in that respect. But it is safe to assume there's a little more to enjoy for those that have been playing, right? Like the reference to Dead Souls in 0 I enjoyed, despite never playing it.

I'll probably try 4 and 5 after Kiwami.

Kiwami has been confirmed to be a summer release this year, so we'll see you in that OT too! :D

I completely missed that announcement! That's super awesome to hear. I just watched the trailer and I like how 6 looks like it easily comes after Kiwami.

I had no idea about the stand alone stories of it. That's good to hear in that respect. But it is safe to assume there's a little more to enjoy for those that have been playing, right? Like the reference to Dead Souls in 0 I enjoyed, despite never playing it.

I'll probably try 4 and 5 after Kiwami.
Well naturally. It's like any other series, the veterans might get more depth and more occasional meaning from some situations (mainly delegated to the substories) but the newcomers will have a grand time too.

And again, those moments are almost entirely delegated to substories. Like the substory in Yakuza 3 that has you playing a samurai for a movie. It's fun and enjoyable if you don't know it, but when you know that it's referncing a spin-off game, Yakuza: Kenzan, it becomes even more hilarious.

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member

Tip: make sure to use O instead of X on the demo for the menus and phone. And there is a video on youtube on how to change a inverse camera.

Yes the visuals in 6 are insane!

Megasoum

Banned
Just make a new PSN account, and set the region to Hong Kong. Sign in with the account on a browser, and "buy" the Ryu ga Gotoku 6 demo. It's the full game with only chapter 1 and certain areas available.

Then log in to the account on your PS4, and download through the library. You can also do this with the JPN version by making a JPN account instead.

Also prepare to be blown away by how seamless everything is.

Awesome thanks, it's downloading now lol.

Tip: make sure to use O instead of X on the demo for the menus and phone. And there is a video on youtube on how to change a inverse camera.

Yes the visuals in 6 are insane!

Ah yeah good point about the swapped O and X

Edit: Also, can you swap account and go back to the main account while the thing is downloading?

Awesome thanks, it's downloading now lol.

Ah yeah good point about the swapped O and X

Edit: Also, can you swap account and go back to the main account while the thing is downloading?
Yes. Once the download has started, simply log out and go back to your main account and do whatever until the thing is downloaded.

You should go into settings with your HK/JPN account and activate the PS4 as your primary. That way you can play the demo/game with your regular US account too!

Megasoum

Banned
Yes. Once the download has started, simply log out and go back to your main account and do whatever until the thing is downloaded.

You should go into settings with your HK/JPN account and activate the PS4 as your primary. That way you can play the demo/game with your regular US account too!

Cool thanks! Back to Yakuza 0 on my main account in the mean time.

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member

Hmm I cant seem to load the demo from my JP account anymore!!! Its asking to activate the ps4 as primary. Was that a recent chage or something since i had no problem playing last week?

Hmm I cant seem to load the demo from my JP account anymore!!! Its asking to activate the ps4 as primary. Was that a recent chage or something since i had no problem playing last week?
Are you playing the Demo they released a year ago, or the "trial" version demo?

Also, it shouldn't be asking you to activate as your primary, unless you're trying to play the game from a different account, in which case you should set it as your primary.

Not sure what the issue could be otherwise.

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
Are you playing the Demo they released a year ago, or the "trial" version demo?

Also, it shouldn't be asking you to activate as your primary, unless you're trying to play the game from a different account, in which case you should set it as your primary.

Not sure what the issue could be otherwise.

No the recent trial version...and yep fully switched to jp account. I'll try rebooting the system now

Riki Takeuchi (Awano) and Hitoshi Ozawa (Kuze) have actually appeared in a few movies together like the Dead or Alive films by Takashi Miike and this film released in 2012:

d-0016801.jpg

Hideo Nakano (Shibusawa) is probably best known for being in the Outrage series by Takeshi Kitano (yakuza films):

545229.jpg

Holy fuck that's amazing!

Just grabbed this game, my first Yakuza. Looking forward to jumping in!

As someone who has visited Japan a few times and loved it, who is also partial to some anime, and has fond memories of Shenmue I think this game will please me...

Wait what ?!?! Didn't expect YOU to hold out on trying the demo! Forgive me if you mentioned something in the past.

Were you expecting to hold off until the english version?

Pretty much, yeah :D

Once the date was announced, I thought I would just hold off on trying it out since if I did, it might make going back to 0 and Kiwami more difficult.

But screw it, no time like the present!

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
Pretty much, yeah :D

Once the date was announced, I thought I would just hold off on trying it out since if I did, it might make going back to 0 and Kiwami more difficult.

But screw it, no times like the present!

Good for you man - 6 is a blast !!! To be honest with you its really HARD for me to go back to 5 rather than 0 after the demo.

Also you can upgrade certain moves in the demo and that 1st person view damn...cant wait for english release!!!

Riki Takeuchi (Awano) and Hitoshi Ozawa (Kuze) have actually appeared in a few movies together like the Dead or Alive films by Takashi Miike and this film released in 2012:

d-0016801.jpg

Hideo Nakano (Shibusawa) is probably best known for being in the Outrage series by Takeshi Kitano (yakuza films):

545229.jpg

*Spills drink* Holy Balls that's crazy!

Holy shit that Password Protected sub-story! XD funniest ending lololol

...Out of curiosity, will Kiryu say literally anything entered into the textbox, or will he just say the password when it's correctly entered?

The idea of having Kiryu say funny shit didn't occur to me until after I did it :(

Just finished chapter 4.
Man, this feels like the best main yakuza yet.
It's incredible how much love, good writing, attention to detail, content etc. they have put into this game. And it's not even a super big budget game.

Everything is so much fun. All the side stories are interesting to super cool so far.
Story seems more engaging than ever.

Pure hype!

To people who imported yakuza 6:
Is it even more incredible? Man, i can't even imagine. Only know about the very nice technical / visual upgrade.

To people who imported yakuza 6:
Is it even more incredible? Man, i can't even imagine. Only know about the very nice technical / visual upgrade.

Yakuza 6 has smaller cities but they're incredibly detailed, every substory has voice acting, only downside is that there are only 51 of them I think.
The story is also divided among fans, I personally enjoyed it but others didn't. I'd still recommend it because the combat, while hilarious, is fun as hell when you master it.

Alucrid

Banned
Link to thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335735

'atlusprime' (SEGA and ATLUS PR guy here on GAF) just offered to add 5 more digital copies of the game! These are only just for the americas tho. But here.

RFIviYO.png

So i'll split the giveaway into 2. The 3 copies i giveaway is still open to anywhere, as long as i can easily get a copy to whomever, and then 5 that will have to go to someone that lives in the americas.

Just to clarify, when I say "the americas" that's Canada, US, Mexico and the rest of Central and South America! :D

Please show some love to 'atlusprime'!!!

If possible, can i get a mod to help add the change to the title that would be amazing.
damn, john going out swinging

hamsjams

I never really got around to this. I see that there's a difference in animation where sometimes the hostess is arguing with the customer and other times she's trying to extinguish the situation while getting chewed out. I'm guessing that the customer's personality has to do something with it as well (the small list of traits at the bottom).

I decided to just gift every time regardless (unless it's in a battle). It never bothers me much whether the customer stays or goes and I usually make up the money rather handily.

Thanks! I'm trying to experiment more. Hopefully I can find something out. If not, those customers were jerks, anyway! My girls are too good for 'em.

...Out of curiosity, will Kiryu say literally anything entered into the textbox, or will he just say the password when it's correctly entered?

The idea of having Kiryu say funny shit didn't occur to me until after I did it :(

He says whatever you typed in. I also missed the chance to get him to say something stupid.

I also realised the Heartbreak Mermaid Music Video takes place in
underground disco where Awano shot that lady
lol.

Top Bottom