• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Any tips to get 3 strikes in a row for the Bowling friendship?

1. Either heaviest/2nd heaviest ball.
2. Go two spots to the left.
3. Double tap quickly. The direction should be curved slightly to the right.
4. 100% full power.
5. 80% spin to the left.

Revven

Just finished Yakuza 0 last night. What a ride! 102:53 was my total hours played, I got about 87.97% completion and earned about 143 billion yen total. I played on Hard and completed all substories
yes, even So and Jo Amon
. I really, really, really liked this game and I can't wait for Yakuza Kiwami this summer.

Consider me a Yakuza fan now.

Freddo

Got 14 of 15 freshwater fishes for the CP thing, so annoying. Will there be different fishes when it's dark like in Yakuza 5? If so, I just wait until then.

As for the time, I'm on my 102th hour at the moment in Chapter 16 :p

Finished all of Majima's Czar Club side quest and side stories with the girls. Man was that minigame as a whole quite fun though the Club Moon battle was quite stressful.

Keep in mind certain fish (or turtles in this case) only appear at certain times of day. Its easier in Premium Adventure mode since you can change the Time of Day via safe houses). Some fish only appear during the day/sunset/night time so its always worth doing a bit of fishing in each area as the ToD changes.

That isn't even remotely true. You can get every fish at any time of day as far as I can tell. I got all of Majima's during the daytime in one go. The only difference is certain fish only appear on certain sides of the river. Which rod and bait you use help a lot too though, I bought the one in the pawn shop (best in the game I believe) and just used quality bait. Some fish are just rarer than others.

Got 14 of 15 freshwater fishes for the CP thing, so annoying. Will there be different fishes when it's dark like in Yakuza 5? If so, I just wait until then.

As for the time, I'm on my 102th hour at the moment in Chapter 16 :p
As stated above, no you can get them all. The fish are, though some can be caught on both sides I think:

South River

Snakehead
Rainbow Trout
Silver Arowana
Ito (rare)
Black Bass
Soft shell Turtle
Sweet Fish

North River

Crayfish
Crucian
Eel
Koi Carp
Nishiki Carp
Salmon
Axolotl
Ghost Koi (super rare)

Also, imagine my surprise when I started watching The Age of Shadows tonight and Sagawa shows up!

UHitpmW.png

EDIT: To make this a little more relevant to Y0 - The mocap in this game is fantastic. I was able to recognize the actor who plays Sagawa in seconds mainly due to his body language (the first scene he's in is further away, so you don't see his face as much)

Skip to 5:45 of this batsu game and see who's the arsehole manager of this hotel...

That isn't even remotely true. You can get every fish at any time of day as far as I can tell. I got all of Majima's during the daytime in one go. The only difference is certain fish only appear on certain sides of the river. Which rod and bait you use help a lot too though, I bought the one in the pawn shop (best in the game I believe) and just used quality bait. Some fish are just rarer than others.

Going off memory here, it sure as heck was true for several previous games in the series.

This is my first game in the series ha ha. I can only confirm it as I did it, got them all in one hit in chapter 7 :)

Your right though, I checked the Japanese wiki for it, and they indeed ditched the day/sunset/night requirements for catching fish. As for Yakkuza 3-5 (maybe not Ishin, I forget!) you had to keep fishing at different points in the day to catch fish, which could be quite annoying if you spent a good few minutes reeling in another trash barrel!

Dude sat dirty in his car and drove away. Lol. Baller.

I feel like it is beneficial to interchange fighting styles when in a crowd. I usually rush at weaker opponents in a gang and switch to beast and grab ones that block often. Once you get perfect sync, it feels awesome.

It's like switching between Lee and King from Tekken nearly.

lol that's another thing. dude is having an emotional breakdown with a gun in his hands and Kiryu just grand theft autos his ass

i'm on majima's saga again and one thing I noticed is that for boss fights when you're just fighting one person, the bat mode is better but if you're fighting multiple enemies the dancer is easily the better option.

Cheating items were removed from 0 I'm afraid Sparda. So your going to have to do it the old fashioned way! I remember it taking me a good long while to get the 7 pairs hand in this, and I still need to do the same for Yakuza 4 (for the trophy).
Yeah, you did warn me about this beforehand. Hahaha.

Some questions for the diner dash on steroids (cabaret club) minigame:

Any tips/guides for optimal platinum hostesses dressing? I want to maximize the company little of each, but there's just so many options and variables for the dressing.

Optimal use of hostesses? Did you use 2 sets of lineup/any sort of strategy or you just switch as needed?

Any tips/guides for optimal platinum hostesses dressing? I want to maximize the company little of each, but there's just so many options and variables for the dressing.

Optimal use of hostesses? Did you use 2 sets of lineup/any sort of strategy or you just switch as needed?

I've just been switching as needed and trying to level up as many of the gold/silver hostesses as well as the platinums as once their stats are quite high they are pretty good at covering most things.

I gotta ask, is this guy a reference to something? It's just so out of left field that you meet this random, drunk, foreigner hobo who unlocks your true combat potential. Sure, it's far from the only weird thing in the game, but still, it makes me wonder.

Its a nice little nod to a "blink and you'll miss it" moment in Yakuza 1:

The above guy opens a bar called "Bachus" (I believe he references this when you complete your training in Yakuza 0).
Flash Forward to 2005 in Yakuza 1, and you'll end up in Bachus (which is where you meet Haruka for the first time). Its a nice little nod between the two games.

You can get three double circles simply by playing about with accessories, no need to mess with hair, dress, or even glasses. Just decide which three qualities you want and play about. For hostesses, just go all out with your best with what you've got, when it opens you're able to get every hostess bar the platinum ones from trading CP, side quests and a few just on the street. Ms Isobe from the dancing quest and the old lady are two of the best non-platinum hostesses, but they're all generally good. When a few have straight faces, swap them out, or if you have a challenge just go for an all bronze/silver run beforehand to let all the people you actually like get back to full strength.

Also, do special training every time. Great for additional experience for the platinum hostesses.

Its a nice little nod to a "blink and you'll miss it" moment in Yakuza 1:

The above guy opens a bar called "Bachus" (I believe he references this when you complete your training in Yakuza 0).
Flash Forward to 2005 in Yakuza 1, and you'll end up in Bachus (which is where you meet Haruka for the first time). Its a nice little nod between the two games.

Ah, okay, that makes sense too. I thought he was some kind of pop culture reference or something.

8bit

Knows the Score
I caught 46 Crayfish before getting a single turtle, was beginning to think I'd equipped something that suppressed their appearances. So now I've got all the nightlife properties, how do I face off against Club Moon now?

C4ptTsNVUAAnRO9.jpg

Kain

Man, man, MAN dat ending, poor Majima. And Nishiki is such a bro, fuck I can't wait for Kiwami and the for sure little nods to 0. Fuck I'm sad now

DC1

1. Is it after chapter 6?
2. ah...well, will I get to see some of that in this game then?
3. not just the sewer water that disappeared, all the blood on his suit when he was fighting out on the streets prior disappeared too.

Apologies for the delay:

1: Yes
2: No.. Kinda (Get with me after you complete the game and see 1)
3: It's truly an amazing thing.

SHarris78

Just finished after 40 hours. Don't think I can say enjoyed the gameplay that much after the first few hours, becomes very repetitive and later on in the game cheap and annoying.

However, the setting, characters and story are probably the best I can remember in any game I've played. Felt a connection with many characters and the emotion, twists and turns really hit home. And man, that ending, Goro seems to have straight up lost his shit!!!!!

Can't wait for the next instalment this summer.

So I just finished chapter 8, a couple of things

-great, another cliffhanger on Majima's saga, at least this time not emotionally hanging.
-the cabaret club thing seems interesting but way too confusing. and the first time it happens they kinda just throw it on you and i didn't know wtf I was doing.

now i'm back on Kiryu's saga and...
where the fuck do I go to hide? I went to his real estate office but that didn't seem to advance the campaign

-great, another cliffhanger on Majima's saga, at least this time not emotionally hanging.
-the cabaret club thing seems interesting but way too confusing. and the first time it happens they kinda just throw it on you and i didn't know wtf I was doing.

You gotta learn those handsigns, if you help out before the hostess literally has to tell you what she or the costumer needs, the bonus you get is way higher, it's like half the battle. The minigame is really fun once you get into the groove.

now i'm back on Kiryu's saga and...
where the fuck do I go to hide? I went to his real estate office but that didn't seem to advance the campaign

Just walk down the street where the bar Serena is located, that should trigger a cutscene.

You gotta learn those handsigns, if you help out before the hostess literally has to tell you what she or the costumer needs, the bonus you get is way higher, it's like half the battle. The minigame is really fun once you get into the groove.
Ok I'll remember that the next time I do that cabaret stuff.

Just walk down the street where the bar Serena is located, that should trigger a cutscene.
thanks. just finished my lunch break so maybe i will try this when i get home

I caught 46 Crayfish before getting a single turtle, was beginning to think I'd equipped something that suppressed their appearances. So now I've got all the nightlife properties, how do I face off against Club Moon now?

Get your Fans for the Club Moon area to be over 10,000 then you will be issued the challenge from them. I recommend when taking on Club Moon to have almost all your platinum girls near max level along with a few gold girls near max level. Because Club Moon's ability is brutal if your girls do not have high stats.

Ok I'll remember that the next time I do that cabaret stuff.

Also, use Fever Time wisely. With one bar filled, up to two tables can enter Fever Time, with two bars filled it's 4 tables and with three bars, all tables can enter Fever Time simultaniously. And keep in mind that entering fever time won't reset the clock for a current session...if the costumer only has 2 seconds left and you enter Fever Time it's kind of a waste. Unsatisfied costumers will instantly turn completly happy and satisfied though, if you use it on them.

oh man i just learned about the RGG0 80's hits collection and now i really need to hear majima's version of runner....... but i'm also not gonna pay $60+ or whatever it costs now for a 12 track compilation album lol

the in-game walkman item you get with it sounds super neat, though. it's obvious why it would've been impossible to make it accessible in the english version, but it's still kinda a bummer

Wow at the end of chapter 9 (?) I think when they subtly reveal
who has the bat tattoo

At the start of that scene I was thinking to myself that it was pretty
gratuitous and unnecessary to have him shirtless. Then as the scene ends and the camera pans while Kiryu's conversation is winding down, and I said "HOLY SHIT" and my wife comes running into the room wondering who was working with the Russians now, and was a little disappointed that I was only HOLY SHITting Yakuza, but she doesn't understand

GeeTeeCee

(Chapter 6 spoilers)
Wow, the Beast style completely wipes the floor with Kuze when you fight him for the second time. Poor dude didn't even get a single hit in.

Menitta

Thinking about cosplaying as Nishiki and a friend as Kiryu for a con next year. I found a cheap burgundy jacket that'll work for a weekend. I might just bring a bunch of Monopoly money and throw it.

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
Just finished after 40 hours. Don't think I can say enjoyed the gameplay that much after the first few hours, becomes very repetitive and later on in the game cheap and annoying.

However, the setting, characters and story are probably the best I can remember in any game I've played. Felt a connection with many characters and the emotion, twists and turns really hit home. And man, that ending, Goro seems to have straight up lost his shit!!!!!

Can't wait for the next instalment this summer.

I am glad you enjoyed the game but its really tough to understand when someone says its repetitive...(fighting I assume?) especially with so many mini-games.

I never get tired of smashing dudes in the face by using various styles and heat moves in my 50+ hours so far.

Desmond

If someone finds Zero repetitive, I don't wanna see the reaction when you play a game in the series where you have just one style of fighting.

I am glad you enjoyed the game but its really tough to understand when someone says its repetitive...(fighting I assume?) especially with so many mini-games.

I never get tired of smashing dudes in the face by using various styles and heat moves in my 50+ hours so far.

I kind of get it, because as the game goes on, random encounters get longer because enemies have more health and weapons. So fights that used to take maybe 15-20 seconds and one full combo per enemy are now a minute or two long, but aren't necessarily that much more difficult or tactically interesting. And sometimes you just want to get to a place without getting beat down, and the silent shoes don't seem to actually drop the encounter rate very much, and you have to be a certain distance away from pursuers for cash confetti to work properly, so sometimes you're in a position where you just don't want to fight anymore but here you are, a bunch more scrubs that neat a good beating.

Majima's better for this because b-b-b-b-b-breakin'. But yeah.

Fhtagn

Wow at the end of chapter 8 (?) I think when they subtly reveal
who has the bat tattoo

At the start of that scene I was thinking to myself that it was pretty
gratuitous and unnecessary to have him shirtless. Then as the scene ends and the camera pans while Kiryu's conversation is winding down, and I said "HOLY SHIT" and my wife comes running into the room wondering who was working with the Russians now, and was a little disappointed that I was only HOLY SHITting Yakuza, but she doesn't understand

Haha yes, I gasped sharply when that happened, and my wife asked from the other room if I was ok, and was amused/relieved it was due to a shocking twist in the game and not a sudden pain or bad news or what have you.

Top Bottom