• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not at all on both accounts
I dunno, I kind of agree with him.

It doesn't look as bad as GTA3 but it's definitely a PS2 game, and not a higher end one either.

Watching gameplay videos of Yakuza 1 on Youtube... I heard about the terrible english voice over work but hooolllyyyy shiiittt hahahaha

Mark Hamill's Majima is king, goddamn. If they included a partial dub option on disc for Kiwami I would instabuy.

Who am I kidding, I'd instabuy anyways.

So many F-bombs though, it's a little awkward. But still hilarious.

dyergram

Genuinely surprised nobody has made a gif of kiryu opening a breifecase of money saying 'I'll make an offer in cash!' I feel like we will need this in the future.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mark Hamill's Majima is king, goddamn. If they included a partial dub option on disc for Kiwami I would instabuy.

Who am I kidding, I'd instabuy anyways.

So many F-bombs though, it's a little awkward. But still hilarious.
The localizations I've played all the way through (0, 4, 5) all have way more colorful translations than the original dialogue. They really play up the whole gangster feel.

I mean, it's not like guys like Awano or Mishima are speaking eloquently or anything. But there's F bombs and tons of profanity added in where there originally wasn't any.

It's not a big deal or anything - some of it is even funnier than the original dialogue - but when it was dubbed it was noticeably awkward.

The localizations I've played all the way through (0, 4, 5) all have way more colorful translations than the original dialogue. They really play up the whole gangster feel.

I mean, it's not like guys like Awano or Mishima are speaking eloquently or anything. But there's F bombs and tons of profanity added in where there originally wasn't any.

It's not a big deal or anything - some of it is even funnier than the original dialogue - but when it was dubbed it was noticeably awkward.

Maybe it's because it was dubbed and so it's spoken to your face but it really feels like they added so many unnecessary swears in there. But yes, there's a lot of profanity in general when it comes to the localizations. Y1 just felt over the top. I'll even admit that I loved every single second of it.

Mediking

My new favorite game on PS4!!! The emotions I'm feeling right now!!!! KIRYU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just experienced the scene were
Nishi tries to kill Kiryu to spare him from being tortured.
MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!

My new favorite game on PS4!!! The emotions I'm feeling right now!!!! KIRYU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just experienced the scene were
Nishi tries to kill Kiryu to spare him from being tortured.
MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!

That scene was pretty emotional until
Kiryu casually steals Nishiki's car
, that's just funny.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So, for the Yakuza vets, where does 0 stand amongst the series? Has anyone been able to play 6?

Still need to play Y0, but I have played Y1-3 and am currently going through Y4 slowly.

Surprisingly I found Y1 was probably the weakest in the series. Not just that it's dated, but the extremely predictable plot really soured me(but it has a brilliant opening hour or two before things get dull). Not sure if the remake can fix up the sluggish pacing and exhaustive redundant expository sequences, but it really felt like a 90 minute mystery bloated to 15+ hours. Certainly the remake should clean up the combat at least.

Yakuza 2 fared much better. My major gripes with it being that it also had obvious bloat as the villain(and plot) disappears for large sections of the game while you are forced into pointless padding sequences until like the 11th hour where the story sadly doesn't quite stick the landing. Still, the central conflict is good stuff. Combat is still pretty rough being slightly enhanced from Y1.

Yakuza 3 just kind of was. Less memorable villains, some real pacing issues in the early hours, but nothing inherently poor about it. I didn't feel like it was patronizing my intelligence like Y1, nor did it ever reach the highs of Y2 either. Enjoyable if you can stick out the early game. Combat was much improved moving to PS3, but still a bit rough. I took a long hiatus from the franchise after this, just hit major fatigue.

Yakuza 4 is a nice change of pace so far which I recently began. Really enjoying the focus away from Kiryu(I actually grew sick of him after three games) and splitting the narrative to give some other personalities the spotlight is winning me back into the franchise. Still only a few hours in though, but I'm resisting jumping into Y0 until I at least finish this first.

Just finished Chapter 4. Majima is so fucking awesome. Much more interesting than Kiryu, but I get a bigger kick from seeing stone-faced Kiryu do silly things.

I just finished the game and I'm wiping the tears from my eyes.

Not only was it a very touching ending, I'm also crying because I'll never own a suit I can tear off in one easy hand motion.

Seriously where do all of these men buy their suits. I can see why people love Majima. Even if I hate his proper design and look and see it as a huge downgrade from the one in this game.

Don't apologies (and please don't correct anything).

It's perfect!! (Even on mobile). Shoot out to the late great CBOAT.
lol what is cboat.
Yeah I think I missed this as well. Where was the reveal and who is it?
it is revealed at the end of chapter 9, not chapter 8 and it is
tachibana...

so, still kinda drunk but the intense fights from chapter 10 probably sobered me up a little. damn, i finished a whole chapter in 1 night.

i definitely do not implore anyone to watch the whole thing but towards the end as you can see i am just throwing a punch or two in rush style just to outsmart the cpu and stay alive... i really gotta up my game in gaming. no pun intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jTTCrCxTs

edit: how ironic that right around 4:20 is when I switch styles :p

I just got over the intro and now I can get into these substories while I chase up this Tachibana stuff. These quests have legit had me in tears

IrishNinja

Keep in mind, I haven't played 6 or the Samurai ones.

That said, do you mean in terms of story or gameplay? In terms of story, I'd place it above all but 2. Even then, it's close, and I haven't finished 0 yet. Not being able to fail substories now lets you experiment with the goofy, jokey dialogue and still see the resolution, which I think benefits that system as a whole.

In terms of gameplay, it's definitely my favorite. The minigames are a little lackluster, but other than that, there's almost nothing any other game in the series does better than 0 in gameplay.

yeah, im in chapter 10 or so and co-singing much of this, it's just a fantastic entry overall so far. the story really gets to do some interesting stuff since kazzy & co have absolutely no juice yet.

no but seriously if the rest of the games are as amazing as this one, I'm in it to win it. Gonna play the remake of one and then somehow find a way to see the story of the other ones before 6 is out.

no but seriously if the rest of the games are as amazing as this one, I'm in it to win it. Gonna play the remake of one and then somehow find a way to see the story of the other ones before 6 is out.

I've never finished the PS2 ones, only played them occasionally when I went to see a friend, so I can't vouch for them, but I can say with confident that the PS3 titles are all excellent.

SolVanderlyn

I gotta say, Ishin has the best look for Kaz. The longer hair and blue fit him so well.

Yakuza%20Restoration_6.jpg

I'm seriously considering importing this game. If I can understand spoken Japanese but can't read kanji, how well off will I be?

Rymuth

I gotta say, Ishin has the best look for Kaz. The longer hair and blue fit him so well.

I'm seriously considering importing this game. If I can understand spoken Japanese but can't read kanji, how well off will I be?
That ain't Kaz, that's his ancestor. As you know, Kiryu is the result of the mixture of the manliest men in Japan's history, including Miyamoto Musashi. >:)

Young Magus

Thankfully there are guides that covers everything from Story to Combat to Trivia.

Otherwise you'll be fucked :eek:. The game uses archaic japanese/terms that even native speakers have trouble with 0:

Vorheez

Sorry, another question lol... Do i need to buy all properties in an area in order to fight one of the five stars, or does that just get me fans quicker?

bwakh

lol that's another thing. dude is having an emotional breakdown with a gun in his hands and Kiryu just grand theft autos his ass

i'm on majima's saga again and one thing I noticed is that for boss fights when you're just fighting one person, the bat mode is better but if you're fighting multiple enemies the dancer is easily the better option.

Lol. Yep.

Just starting chapter 7 here, taking it slow and not playing it daily by giving it an hour or two. This game just doesn't work like that for me. Once shit starts happening, it's very hard to put this game down.

xezuru

Completed all CP Task but the minigames section, time to get destroyed by ancient chinese board games and such aaaaaaaaaaah.

5 is the the closest thing to a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario for Yakuza.

Imagine Yakuza 0's dual-protagonist setup split into 5 protagonist without the same level of intertwined, compelling narrative of 0's Empty Lot.

I like it a whole lot, but it's arguably the most imbalanced Yakuza series in terms of character and plot composition next to Yakuza 3.

wow 5 is the worst?? how come?

5 in terms of story is just not that great. It's WAY too over the place and that reflects in the amount of content and the length.

In terms of the gameplay though, it is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE. 4 separate protagonists with a lot of depth in between, and a fifth one that had a brand new fighting style (not gonna spoiler it but veterans are probably chuckling at this statement).

Each character (except for 1) also had a separate business/activity storeline and different subquests, and there were a total of 4 cities. Each with their own bars, hostess clubs, places to hang out etc.

Incredibly well made, but sadly that doesn't extend to the story or the pacing. It literally felt like multiple games "duck-taped" together at some point.

If not for that 5th character I would probably put Y5 in my bottom tier.

That new character arc made me love Y5 a whole lot more and not feel like just Y4 Part II.

8bit

Knows the Score
I do wonder if 5 would have worked better released episodically, as it was a lot of content to get to the end of the story even before substories and the like.

Anyway, this made me laugh.

C4yYj9iUoAE20uG.jpg

Rizzi

Thankfully there are guides that covers everything from Story to Combat to Trivia.

Otherwise you'll be fucked :eek:. The game uses archaic japanese/terms that even native speakers have trouble with 0:

If I could have one gaming related wish, it'd be for a localized Ishin. I'd love to play it, but looking at a guide every two seconds seems like a major pain in the ass.

dwix

Beat this last night and I am officially a Yakuza series fan.

The combat is nice and simple, and the density of the game world is just awesome. It was always a delight just walking around in this game. I had a few minor issues with some of the gameplay systems, but the game was very good about letting me be as involved in those systems as I wanted - which was awesome.

The story was so well done and so engaging that I was pulled in immediately and on the edge of my seat for the entire ride. I tend to skip cutscenes in games once I realize I don't care about what's happening, but I never did that with this game. I am now itching to play the other games but with Nioh, NieR, and Breath of the Wild they will have to wait...

In short, thank you YakuzaGAF for pushing this so hard. Great game.

DC1

lol what is cboat.

Cboat (crazy buttocks on a train) is/was a GAFer and MS insider/outsider that leaked/opined on information before it was publicly announced. He spoke/wrote in code.

Such as "confiemed micresft actively attemptbuyinr PS44FOUR nonmetnions. IF y dont explifitly here 3rdparty say OUR GAME IS EXCLUSIVE FOR XBONE confdinetly assuem Ps4 version is avabilelbe behind scenes. #truthfact" ... He/she is/was legendary.

Lol. Yep.

Just starting chapter 7 here, taking it slow and not playing it daily by giving it an hour or two. This game just doesn't work like that for me. Once shit starts happening, it's very hard to put this game down.
that's what ended up happening with me last night. I was basically your avatar -->
image.php

and I ended up playing through finishing chapter 9, and started and finished chapter 10 before calling it a fucking night.

Cboat (crazy buttocks on a train) is/was a GAFer and MS insider/outsider that leaked/opined on information before it was publicly announced. He spoke/wrote in code.

Such as "confiemed micresft actively attemptbuyinr PS44FOUR nonmetnions. IF y dont explifitly here 3rdparty say OUR GAME IS EXCLUSIVE FOR XBONE confdinetly assuem Ps4 version is avabilelbe behind scenes. #truthfact" ... He/she is/was legendary.
oh haha nah I wasn't trying to throw some conspiracy codes in my post I was just really drunk typing my ass off on mobile before hitting up that Yakuza

Top Bottom