• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I do wonder if 5 would have worked better released episodically, as it was a lot of content to get to the end of the story even before substories and the like.

Anyway, this made me laugh.

C4yYj9iUoAE20uG.jpg
Lol that reference. That's one of the reasons I want Kiwami 2.

wow 5 is the worst?? how come?
Waaay too unfocused. The story and pacing were all over the place. Majima was just a regular chump in this game. Baba was.... yeah.

The game also had some weird performance issues. Like during some chases the FPS would go as down as 15-20 frames.

muteki

Finally got into the Real Estate game and I really love how the substories are used and how it gives you more motivation to complete them. Also nice bringing in more money, though running back and forth to the office is kinda a pain.

dock

Well, it's all subjective. Some people get a kick out of doing side stuff and main stuff side by side, some do main story entirely first then do side stuff, and some do the opposite.
Thanks for the tips on playing! My first impressions went pretty well, although the audio annoyed my GF and I was forced to wear headphones. :D

I'm a couple of hours in, so I have learned Rush stance and learned more about the Empty Lot.

I tried to enter an arcade but the doors are closed. When can I go to the arcade? Am I locked into story only content for a while, other than random battles?

JJShadow

Thanks for the tips on playing! My first impressions went pretty well, although the audio annoyed my GF and I was forced to wear headphones. :D

I'm a couple of hours in, so I have learned Rush stance and learned more about the Empty Lot.

I tried to enter an arcade but the doors are closed. When can I go to the arcade? Am I locked into story only content for a while, other than random battles?

You have to progress a bit further into the story to unlock most minigames, including the SEGA arcade

dock

It's hard for me to adequately answer this because I never really get tired of the combat (after 40+ hours), but this game does have two different characters with 3 unique fighting styles each, so it keeps things fresh.

If you have trouble with action games, go for Normal, but otherwise Hard offers a better challenge without being brutally difficult.
thanks for the tip! I'm trying Normal and things seem okay so far. It looks like I can change the difficulty at any time. Does this only change combat? Does it change any of the other minigames? The Karaoke seems incredibly difficult!!

thanks for the tip! I'm trying Normal and things seem okay so far. It looks like I can change the difficulty at any time. Does this only change combat? Does it change any of the other minigames? The Karaoke seems incredibly difficult!!

Difficulty only changes the difficulty of the combat, and how much damage Heat moves do.

8bit

Knows the Score
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

That's pretty much ideal, thanks!

Anyone know of a weapon crafting overview? I seem to be having difficulty in finding adequate amounts of amber & steel.

I completely missed it. Must have been looking away. Whoopsie!

Also this means that
Tachibana is a perverted asshole. :( Wonder how this will come into play later on. Just starter Chapter 13 and nothing's come of it yet.

DUDE JUST FINISH THE CHAPTER. ALL WILL BE REVEALED.

Thanks breh. Holy shit. Wouldn't have guessed that on my own. Also I just checked YT and it's the beginning of Ch 10, not end of 9.
oh my bad. i was drunk as fuck so going from chapter to chapter was a lil blurry. i was close though lol
The way they did that was wonderful.
it would've been more wonderful if the cutscene was prerendered. it's weird how they do those transitions and i don't understand why they do it either.

Shin-Ra

Took me three days of off and on gameplay to pass the completion score requirement. I would have kicked the red ball off the stick if given the opportunity.
I finally managed with the wing and 7-way shot upgrades.

It just controls terribly without and with speed upgrades, combine that with awkward enemy motion patterns and bullet hell and no thanks.

explodet

I finally decided to beat up Mr. Shakedown after running away like a coward each time he got near. I read about how the slime gun is effective and went that route.

And then all of a sudden I was like I was playing a Resident Evil game.
The gun and targeting mechanics, the running and shooting, but instead of spraying my face full of first aid spray I was chugging Staminan Royales.

I finally decided to beat up Mr. Shakedown after running away like a coward each time he got near. I read about how the slime gun is effective and went that route.

And then all of a sudden I was like I was playing a Resident Evil game.
The gun and targeting mechanics, the running and shooting, but instead of spraying my face full of first aid spray I was chugging Staminan Royales.

Fighting Mr. Shakedown is like playing dark souls. Poke a couple of times and dodge.

YES, I FINALLY BEAT OGITA

ceIceUO.jpg

I'm currently around the climax for the game, and one neat little detail I liked was
when Majima faces off against the Nikkyo Consortium thugs, they're labelled as "Nikkyo Comsortium thugs" in the subtitles, but when Kiryu faces them for a meeting, they're referred to as "Nikkyo Consortium aides" instead.

Also, I liked how detailed
the sex shop Kiryu only visits once in Sotenbori is. I think I even saw a hentai mag cover not found anywhere else in the game. It's crazy how they let you walk around this small room when you're only there to continue the story.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oof...I know this is a Y0 thread, but played more of Yakuza 4 last night. Those chase sequences are ROUGH. I mean this is some real euro-level jank.

Ultimadrago

YES, I FINALLY BEAT OGITA

ceIceUO.jpg

I'm currently around the climax for the game, and one neat little detail I liked was
when Majima faces off against the Nikkyo Consortium thugs, they're labelled as "Nikkyo Comsortium thugs" in the subtitles, but when Kiryu faces them for a meeting, they're referred to as "Nikkyo Consortium aides" instead.

Also, I liked how detailed
the sex shop Kiryu only visits once in Sotenbori is. I think I even saw a hentai mag cover not found anywhere else in the game. It's crazy how they let you walk around this small room when you're only there to continue the story.

Congrats! How did the winning dance-off go?

Menitta

I've been listening to Yakuza 0's soundtrack so much ever since I beat it. It's soooo freaking good. Probably my favourite OST in the series.

Judgement>24 Hour Cinderella

Congrats! How did the winning dance-off go?

Just barely beat him by a few hundred points. My hands were shaking.

I didn't have this much trouble beating Isobe. I actually beat her in my practice round! But Ogita... Man, after my second fever I had to pause the game to take a breath.

I hear in Yakuza 5,
he's an antagonist of sorts. Do I get to kick his ass for tormenting me so much in 0?

I've been listening to Yakuza 0's soundtrack so much ever since I beat it. It's soooo freaking good. Probably my favourite OST in the series.

Judgement>24 Hour Cinderella
Yeap, soooooo many great tracks in this OST! I wish there was a physical cd release but I don't think they have one :(. Would love to know where to buy the digital OST instead of listening to it on YouTube.

wow 5 is the worst?? how come?

The worst Yakuza game is still a great game, (well, maybe not Dead Souls), but 5 has some serious pacing issues and the story is pretty damn ridiculous, even by Yakuza standards. It is probably the best game when it comes to content. It is seriously chocked to the brim with shit to do.

Question regarding Yamagata(the Club Odyssey guy):

Whatever happened to him? In chapter 7 he lets you use his warehouse to store Makoto, and says Majima owes him a favour and tells him about cabaret clubs, but I'm currently on chapter 14 and nothing has come up with him.

Question regarding Yamagata(the Club Odyssey guy):

Whatever happened to him? In chapter 7 he lets you use his warehouse to store Makoto, and says Majima owes him a favour and tells him about cabaret clubs, but I'm currently on chapter 14 and nothing has come up with him.

Hit by a case of
" character that shows up once or twice to conveniently give believability to the story."

tayls129

Question about spoilers for Chapter 10:

May have been mentioned before, but the trophy that pops at the end of chapter 10 called
"The Big Reveal"
makes it seem like
the player wasn't supposed to get how Makato tied into the Empty Lot. I mean, obviously that's why Yakuza were after her, right? Did that "reveal" shock anyone?!?

Yeap, soooooo many great tracks in this OST! I wish there was a physical cd release but I don't think they have one :(. Would love to know where to buy the digital OST instead of listening to it on YouTube.

speaking of OST,

anyone can help me?

i asked this in Yakuza 5 OT long time ago.

there's a song that comes out on the radio when you walking into M mart, etc. but i don't where it's from... it's such a good song. it's probably from a SEGA game but i don't know which one. it comes over Yakuza 5 M mart radio too.

can anyone hardcore list the songs that come out on in M Mart over the radio?

the song is a ballad with female vocals: chorus mixes english lines with Japanese.

Question about spoilers for Chapter 10:

May have been mentioned before, but the trophy that pops at the end of chapter 10 called
"The Big Reveal"
makes it seem like
the player wasn't supposed to get how Makato tied into the Empty Lot. I mean, obviously that's why Yakuza were after her, right? Did that "reveal" shock anyone?!?
That was easily the most
predictable "twist"
. But it actually says a lot
about the story that that's the most predictable one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The one twist I had an issue with was
Shimano saying that he planned for Majima to fall in love and not kill Makoto from the very beginning.

Seriously... what. Sagawa was close to losing patience with Majima several times. The plan relies so much on circumstance that it's hard to believe it was working as intended the whole time. Then again, considering what kind of guy Shimano is (offing the Omi Alliance guy just to cover for himself) I wouldn't doubt that was all BS he came up with on the spot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sega - Prequel set in the late 70s starring Kazama and Nishitani as the two playable characters

you're welcome for all the buxxx

The one twist I had an issue with was
Shimano saying that he planned for Majima to fall in love and not kill Makoto from the very beginning.

Seriously... what. Sagawa was close to losing patience with Majima several times. The plan relies so much on circumstance that it's hard to believe it was working as intended the whole time. Then again, considering what kind of guy Shimano is (offing the Omi Alliance guy just to cover for himself) I wouldn't doubt that was all BS he came up with on the spot.
This is actually a recurring theme in the game I think. The theme of the Aniki (boss) being
great judges of character.

With Kuze,
you see that the first time they meet. He thinks of Kiryu as a punk, and he acts like it. Second time, Kiryu could've just killed Kuze, but chooses not to, and Kuze sees something in him. Third and Fourth time, you could just tell Kuze didn't really WANT to fight Kiryu but he had his orders and so had no choice left. The fifth time was like Kuze testing Kiryu, to see just what kind of man he's become, and he saw that he's no longer the punk he thought he was.
With Awano,
you see that with the Disco scene where he bluffs Kiryu. He thought that Kiryu would back down to his bluff when confronted with the possibility of putting his family in danger. And let's be real, if this was future Kiryu he totally would have backed down. But again, this Kiryu was a punk and still had a lot of growing up to do and he called his bluff which Awano didn't expect. And after his fight with Majima, he sees that no matter what happens, Majima is a man who'll do what's right and will do what's best for his clan. As true a Yakuza as they come, so to speak which is why he willingly took "multiple" bullets for him.

With Shibusawa,
he quite accurately saw that Kazama, Kiryu and to some extent Nishiki would be the BIGGEST hindrance to his plan to rise to the top. And that the only way to truly succeed was to eliminate any and all traces of them.

With Kazama,
that much is clear. He put this entire plan into action, knowing that Dojima can never be given power and that Kiryu would be the only person who would have the fortitude to stand up to him despite being his underling.

With Shimano,
it's not entirely unbelievable that he knew Majima would never let her die. Majima is simply not a cold-blooded killer and never will be. That's not the person he is, and he knows that he'll never be able to face Saejima if he becomes that person because Saejima DID THE HIT ANYWAY so Majima wouldn't have to. He owes that debt and murder is a line that he'll never cross, no matter how much he thinks he's capable. The biggest thorn in his plan was arguably Sagawa.

Sagawa
was the one who couldn't get a read on Majima. And note that he's the one who died almost "meaninglessly" in the end.

the fuckin intro theme has been in my head all day.

hangover is starting to get better after downing madd water and poppin a couple of advils so hopefully i'll be good for another sesh of remote play

Just barely beat him by a few hundred points. My hands were shaking.

I didn't have this much trouble beating Isobe. I actually beat her in my practice round! But Ogita... Man, after my second fever I had to pause the game to take a breath.

I hear in Yakuza 5,
he's an antagonist of sorts. Do I get to kick his ass for tormenting me so much in 0?
Yes, you can.

I just got to the cabaret mini-game. It is possible I will never finish this game now, I can't stop playing it and my progress with everything else has ground to a halt. At least with the real estate I could get stuff done in between running back and forth from the office.

I just got to the cabaret mini-game. It is possible I will never finish this game now, I can't stop playing it and my progress with everything else has ground to a halt. At least with the real estate I could get stuff done in between running back and forth from the office.

I wanna be your girl OOOOOHHHHHH

Mediking

One of the things this game does very well is tying everything together... even side activities. The people you help in side activities are the exact ones that help you in Real Estate. That kinda stuff is special and means alot.

I'm in love with the game so far.

They need to patch in a save anywhere option though.

Oh and Kiryu X Marina (isn't she his secretary?). I hope these two end up together.

Boy, you drink a lot huh.

aha, nah I really don't man. last night was an exception. normally i like to get high but i told myself i won't get high again until after i get a new job. i gotta get fucked up somehow though and alcohol on the other hand is the only legal way to get to do it.

anyways, finished up another remote play sesh...I really hate when this shit freezes on you I cannot say that enough.

discovered that
underground fighting ring...I was half expecting to have to fight a 4th opponent but the dirty cop kept his word.

and after hearing his story about the
dead girl and nishitani...he abruptly wanted to stop talking about it there but i wonder if that story will get explored again?

i saved the game right before deciding to head over to him again...should i be expecting another bossfight once I say, yes let's go? and a bossfight should be expected but i'd want to know about a bossfight ahead of time where there'll be multiple tough opponents before the chapter's climactic boss battle. coz i always fear i'll run out of fuckin staminans.

Oh and Kiryu X Marina (isn't she his secretary?). I hope these two end up together.

I always think of Kiryu and Marina as slightly dimwitted dad and exasperated daughter.

One thing that's a little weird about the game is that Kiryu and Majima often come across as everyone's dad--Kiryu with Marina, Majima with all the hostesses--but they're both in their early twenties and generally not actually much older than the women. This even comes up in one of the hostess training sessions.

Don't get me wrong, I love being everyone's dad so, so much. But, like, they totally shouldn't be!

Top Bottom