• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

bebop242

Currently on chapter 7 but there are not enough hours in the day for me to be able to play this as much as I'd like.

Has there been any sales numbers released for this yet?

I always think of Kiryu and Marina as slightly dimwitted dad and exasperated daughter.

One thing that's a little weird about the game is that Kiryu and Majima often come across as everyone's dad--Kiryu with Marina, Majima with all the hostesses--but they're both in their early twenties and generally not actually much older than the women. This even comes up in one of the hostess training sessions.

Don't get me wrong, I love being everyone's dad so, so much. But, like, they totally shouldn't be!

It makes a little more sense with Majima because his job is essentially managing the women in his club(s), which forces him into a dad-like role whether he likes it or not. And given his struggles with sleep I can't imagine him being emotionally available for a normal relationship.

I apologize heartily, I apparently had the wrong chapter it was chapter 9. I'm gonna miss my pinkie :(

it's all good bruh, if ya kept reading my posts you'll see that later on that night i passed both chapters 9 and 10 =]

(i also didn't know who you were talking about either so i was fully surprised when it was revealed)

It makes a little more sense with Majima because his job is essentially managing the women in his club(s), which forces him into a dad-like role whether he likes it or not. And given his struggles with sleep I can't imagine him being emotionally available for a normal relationship.

(the below contains a spoiler for Majima's backstory, but I'm pretty sure you learn all of it by the end of Chapter 3, so arguably not a particularly big spoiler)

Oh, for sure. Given the role he has, it makes total sense. I guess it's more a testament to how fucked up his life is on the one hand, and how resilient he is on the other, that he's managed to be a hot-headed yakuza thug,
get thrown out of the family after being tortured for a year
, learn the ropes of running a cabaret, rocket to the top of the Osaka cabaret circuit, and now run a bunch of cabaret clubs where he's an old hand at training hostesses, all before the age of 25.

Kimaka

I just got to the cabaret mini-game. It is possible I will never finish this game now, I can't stop playing it and my progress with everything else has ground to a halt. At least with the real estate I could get stuff done in between running back and forth from the office.

It is so addicting.I spend way too much time dressing on the dressing up part that it is somewhat of a blessing that you're only allowed to change the appearance of platinum hostesses.

I had to just set a short term goal for myself such as getting x amount of new hostesses and force myself to trigger the next main quest.

It is so addicting.I spend way too much time dressing on the dressing up part that it is somewhat of a blessing that you're only allowed to change the appearance of platinum hostesses.

I had to just set a short term goal for myself such as getting x amount of new hostesses and force myself to trigger the next main quest.

My only issue with the dressup is that I feel like I have to min/max the outfits to get three maximum stats.

Yuki looks very silly right now for this very reason.

Aki-at

The one twist I had an issue with was
Shimano saying that he planned for Majima to fall in love and not kill Makoto from the very beginning.

Seriously... what. Sagawa was close to losing patience with Majima several times. The plan relies so much on circumstance that it's hard to believe it was working as intended the whole time. Then again, considering what kind of guy Shimano is (offing the Omi Alliance guy just to cover for himself) I wouldn't doubt that was all BS he came up with on the spot.

You know that plan almost went tits up because who
planted the bomb that killed Lee? It couldn't have been Sera because he was clearly after Makoto alive, it couldn't have been Nishitani's group either because he was willing to take in the girl alive... So that just leaves Sagawa's group that Shimano hired, almost screwed yourself over just because he left his brother out of the plan.

I can co-sign most of that outside of a few semi-minor disagreements. But the big one though...in what world do we rank Hidenori Shoji's music below everything else? =(

Hey now, I consider The Myth and Recieve and Slash You some of his finest works!

I completely co-sign on this... Outside that eminence love for Yakuza 3's standing.

Yeah but that
Mine freeze frame tho.

My only issue with the dressup is that I feel like I have to min/max the outfits to get three maximum stats.

Yuki looks very silly right now for this very reason.
Thankfully you don't need to change hair or outfits, three double circles and one X are all possible only with accessories. You don't even need to wear any glasses either, the most obvious item I have equipped are the bunny ears for Ai, and even they're not necessary. Messing with costumes and hair might change that last X to a triangle or circle, but even with club moon customers its not necessary.

it's all good bruh, if ya kept reading my posts you'll see that later on that night i passed both chapters 9 and 10 =]

(i also didn't know who you were talking about either so i was fully surprised when it was revealed)

Sweet, I tried to be vague even in my spoiler specifically because I wasn't positive on the chapter number but couldn't come up with an easier way to specify which spoiler I was reacting to, so I'm glad that at least kind of worked out.

DC1

I just got to the cabaret mini-game. It is possible I will never finish this game now, I can't stop playing it and my progress with everything else has ground to a halt. At least with the real estate I could get stuff done in between running back and forth from the office.
Yeah... I had to release my girls into the wild and commit myself to never play the cabaret game again
that is.. until I play my legendary playthrough 😎

done!...

great yakuza game! favorite aspects:

the way makoto not only centered the story, but also kinda served as a surrogate haruka. was wondering how they'd deal with her absence, & the humanity/decency she imbues kiryu with, & this was a clever & excellent way to go...

loved the 'tojo trio' (& really loved the chinese assassin :) ), but sagawa? the guy's just in a class of his own, & up there with the very best secondary characters of the series. so perfectly under-played, & so memorable...

thank you, nagoshi-san, & thank you, team yakuza. looking forward to the summer! :) ...

btw: completed both the real estate & club stuff (& enjoyed every bit of it!)...

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
Currently on chapter 7 but there are not enough hours in the day for me to be able to play this as much as I'd like.

Has there been any sales numbers released for this yet?

I feel ya - i only can play at night for few hours.

No official sales numbers
WI6SrQ4.jpg

Alastor3

We are already on the 160 pages guys! Im so glad this game got recognition!

Im thinking about cosplaying one of the character, probably Majima since I have more of this physique rather than Kiryu. I just wish I was asian.

Linkura

The one twist I had an issue with was
Shimano saying that he planned for Majima to fall in love and not kill Makoto from the very beginning.

Seriously... what. Sagawa was close to losing patience with Majima several times. The plan relies so much on circumstance that it's hard to believe it was working as intended the whole time. Then again, considering what kind of guy Shimano is (offing the Omi Alliance guy just to cover for himself) I wouldn't doubt that was all BS he came up with on the spot.

Oh, Yakuza!

DUDE JUST FINISH THE CHAPTER. ALL WILL BE REVEALED.

Will do, probably tomorrow though. I stopped to go to bed last night, and tonight I'm working late because we're having an event.

DC1

done!...

great yakuza game! favorite aspects:

the way makoto not only centered the story, but also kinda served as a surrogate haruka. was wondering how they'd deal with her absence, & the humanity/decency she imbues kiryu with, & this was a clever & excellent way to go...

loved the 'tojo trio' (& really loved the chinese assassin :) ), but sagawa? the guy's just in a class of his own, & up there with the very best secondary characters of the series. so perfectly under-played, & so memorable...

thank you, nagoshi-san, & thank you, team yakuza. looking forward to the summer! :) ...

btw: completed both the real estate & club stuff (& enjoyed every bit of it!)...

Very happy you enjoyed it.

Very happy you enjoyed it.

been a fan of the series since the release of the first game. &, while i've enjoyed some games more than others (with kenzan! being my favorite), i've never been disappointed with any of'm (dead souls included!) - there's always some authentic genius/brilliance in every one! :) ...

Vorheez

Im glad you bought it.

Welcome to the Yakuza community. These guys are quality people.
Yes, one of the best communities I've been apart of on GAF. Very friendly, helpful, and respectful!

I am going to try to finish the cabaret stuff tonight and then focus on only the story. How much do i have left after the cabaret stuff? I think I remember reading that there are 13/14 chapters.

Yes, one of the best communities I've been apart of on GAF. Very friendly, helpful, and respectful!

I am going to try to finish the cabaret stuff tonight and then focus on only the story. How much do i have left after the cabaret stuff? I think I remember reading that there are 13/14 chapters.

chapters?
16, to be exact (followed by the finale).
&, from my experience (after completing the real estate & club stuff as soon as it was available), the game really, seriously roars along once you move on (tho it'll still take you a number of hours) :) ...

ok. can you guys explain what this game is like? Im almost done with Nioh and im quite interested in picking this up. is it rpg style with quests? like what kinda game is it. I just dont wanna look up too much for spoilers.

ok. can you guys explain what this game is like? Im almost done with Nioh and im quite interested in picking this up? is it rpg style with quests? like what kinda game is it. I just dont wanna look up too much for spoilers.

the folks here will probably do a better job breaking it down but the best way i can explain it is imagine tekken being a 100% story driven game with 2 characters you can play as instead of 30+, and the story being a crime drama.

the way I explained it to my casual friend is that it is a mixture of uncharted for being a story driven game and tekken for fighting your enemies instead of shooting them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is actually a recurring theme in the game I think. The theme of the Aniki (boss) being
great judges of character.

With Kuze,
you see that the first time they meet. He thinks of Kiryu as a punk, and he acts like it. Second time, Kiryu could've just killed Kuze, but chooses not to, and Kuze sees something in him. Third and Fourth time, you could just tell Kuze didn't really WANT to fight Kiryu but he had his orders and so had no choice left. The fifth time was like Kuze testing Kiryu, to see just what kind of man he's become, and he saw that he's no longer the punk he thought he was.
With Awano,
you see that with the Disco scene where he bluffs Kiryu. He thought that Kiryu would back down to his bluff when confronted with the possibility of putting his family in danger. And let's be real, if this was future Kiryu he totally would have backed down. But again, this Kiryu was a punk and still had a lot of growing up to do and he called his bluff which Awano didn't expect. And after his fight with Majima, he sees that no matter what happens, Majima is a man who'll do what's right and will do what's best for his clan. As true a Yakuza as they come, so to speak which is why he willingly took "multiple" bullets for him.

With Shibusawa,
he quite accurately saw that Kazama, Kiryu and to some extent Nishiki would be the BIGGEST hindrance to his plan to rise to the top. And that the only way to truly succeed was to eliminate any and all traces of them.

With Kazama,
that much is clear. He put this entire plan into action, knowing that Dojima can never be given power and that Kiryu would be the only person who would have the fortitude to stand up to him despite being his underling.

With Shimano,
it's not entirely unbelievable that he knew Majima would never let her die. Majima is simply not a cold-blooded killer and never will be. That's not the person he is, and he knows that he'll never be able to face Saejima if he becomes that person because Saejima DID THE HIT ANYWAY so Majima wouldn't have to. He owes that debt and murder is a line that he'll never cross, no matter how much he thinks he's capable. The biggest thorn in his plan was arguably Sagawa.

Sagawa
was the one who couldn't get a read on Majima. And note that he's the one who died almost "meaninglessly" in the end.
Nice tidbit about
Kuze, I didn't fully realize his motivations changing as I played.

The Shimano one seems egregious to me because of Sagawa specifically.
planted the bomb that killed Lee? It couldn't have been Sera because he was clearly after Makoto alive, it couldn't have been Nishitani's group either because he was willing to take in the girl alive... So that just leaves Sagawa's group that Shimano hired, almost screwed yourself over just because he left his brother out of the plan.
Basically this. I know Yakuza is known for
pulling at least one zany twist in each game and in this one, this is the twist that made the least sense.

xezuru

It's like a beat em up like River City Ransom taking place in a city, except it's a current gem game so it's more in the action gamey DMC-light-ish sense of mechanics and while not open world the district of the city is filled with tons of activities to do and people/sidequests to entertain you, without that empty wasted space forcing hours of traveling.

Fhtagn

ok. can you guys explain what this game is like? Im almost done with Nioh and im quite interested in picking this up? is it rpg style with quests? like what kinda game is it. I just dont wanna look up too much for spoilers.

It's core gameplay is a 3 D beat em up, but it has a couple dozen mini games of varying depth, a lot of side stories that play out as dialogue options, and a core story that is a very compelling crime drama. It has RPG elements such as leveling up your fighting abilities, but combat is real time brawling.

It's a modern day River City Ransom. Or it's a blend of Shenmue and Dynamite Cop/Die Hard Arcade/Streets of Rage if SoR was 3-D and had a legit great story.

It's really got its own thing going on tho.

It's core gameplay is a 3 D beat em up, but it has a couple dozen mini games of varying depth, a lot of side stories that play out as dialogue options, and a core story that is a very compelling crime drama. It has RPG elements such as leveling up your fighting abilities, but combat is real time brawling.

It's a modern day River City Ransom. Or it's a blend of Shenmue and Dynamite Cop/Die Hard Arcade/Streets of Rage if SoR was 3-D and had a legit great story.

It's really got its own thing going on tho.

very interesting. what catches my eye is the setting. having just been to Japan I really wanna go through this and kick ass in the areas ive actually been to. Kinda like with Nioh. I just love Japan.

Thanks for the reply. I think im gunna pick this up. How is it for replayability? Is there a multiplayer of any kind?

xezuru

very interesting. what catches my eye is the setting. having just been to Japan I really wanna go through this and kick ass in the areas ive actually been to. Kinda like with Nioh. I just love Japan.

Thanks for the reply. I think im gunna pick this up. How is it for replayability? Is there a multiplayer of any kind?

I mean, technically you can online versus the minigames, there's arcades, bowling alleys, and all sorts of stuff you can actually do. But the real replayability is 100+ side questlines, the activities, both characters have fufilling manager simulator games for currency, and for the not weak hearted, 100%ing the huge scale of game is kept track of decently well with basically a completion checklist.

I mean, technically you can online versus the minigames, there's arcades, bowling alleys, and all sorts of stuff you can actually do. But the real replayability is 100+ side questlines, the activities, both characters have fufilling manager simulator games for currency, and for the not weak hearted, 100%ing the huge scale of game is kept track of decently well with basically a completion checklist.

cool thanks.

are the side missions interesting?

Vorheez

chapters?
16, to be exact (followed by the finale).
&, from my experience (after completing the real estate & club stuff as soon as it was available), the game really, seriously roars along once you move on (tho it'll still take you a number of hours) :) ...
Yeeesss! I don't want it to end! Haha. If I were to do nothing but story stuff, do you have an idea of how many hours roughly? Im at 55 hours currently.

ok. can you guys explain what this game is like? Im almost done with Nioh and im quite interested in picking this up. is it rpg style with quests? like what kinda game is it. I just dont wanna look up too much for spoilers.
Well, as someone previously said, there are others who can summarize the game better than I can because I'm a newcomer to the series... But! What I can tell you is this: Dark Souls was my favorite game of all time, and I was eagerly waiting for Nioh to come out to scratch that Dark Souls itch, but that all changed when I picked up Yakuza. I was truthfully just buying Yakuza to hold me over until Nioh came out but it has unexpectedly grabbed me and won't let go. I have never played anything like it, and I have not been this engrossed in a video game since I was a child. It's a very, very special game, and one that should be played by anyone who considers themselves to be a "gamer." I still bought Nioh on release date, but I haven't even taken the plastic wrap off of it yet because I don't want to put Yakuza down. At 55 hours, I can almost definitely declare it be my new favorite game. It's that good.

xezuru

cool thanks.

are the side missions interesting?

Every side mission basically has a unique little condensed story, some are nothing mindblowing, some are amazing but all of them are worth it because they all bring something to the table, in that regard, it's a little bit witcheresque where I am glad to see the next crazy little thing to happen since it is definitely not a rehash, also this game specifically does a good job of having most sidequest giving you an additional reward that actually helps with long term activities later in the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The idea that Kiryu doesn't kill people is even more ridiculous than the Nathan Drake is a psychopath shit

'you cant cross that line'
uh dude were you watching the game when i shot a pistol at dudes in a car and blew up a helicopter? you think those dudes are still alive?

Aki-at

The idea that Kiryu doesn't kill people is even more ridiculous than the Nathan Drake is a psychopath shit

uh dude were you watching the game when i shot a pistol at dudes in a car and blew up a helicopter? you think those dudes are still alive?

Remember how A-Team handled it? It's like that but only with yakuzas.

They'll be fine after a Stamina X!

Hey now, I consider The Myth and Recieve and Slash You some of his finest works!

You ranked all the games he was involved in lower than the games he wasn't involved in and I take major issues with that lol.

Basically this. I know Yakuza is known for
pulling at least one zany twist in each game and in this one, this is the twist that made the least sense.

Regarding Sagawa,
It was clearly Sagawa. You can't appear with perfect timing after a car bomb explodes unless you totally planted it. I think Sagawa has the most shit in this game that I simply cannot buy into. Guy looks like a major bitch, and watching him choke hold Majima against the wall is just...not believable.

SephLuis

They are alive and sorry for messing with you. Suddenly Kiryu gets a ton of presents in the mail saying Sorry

DC1

been a fan of the series since the release of the first game. &, while i've enjoyed some games more than others (with kenzan! being my favorite), i've never been disappointed with any of'm (dead souls included!) - there's always some authentic genius/brilliance in every one! :) ...
Oh my
.. you and I have kindred souls!

Remember how A-Team handled it? It's like that but only with yakuzas.

They'll be fine after a Stamina X!
Hahaha, I would've absolutely loved it, if they had straight up said that in the game lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also sagawa is the best written villain in series history

i can not think of a better hate/love character in gaming history
'you're a piece of shit fuck you die'
'nah jk you're alright'
'jk youre a piece of shit fuck you'
'ahh who am i kidding'

Top Bottom