• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

DC1

The idea that Kiryu doesn't kill people is even more ridiculous than the Nathan Drake is a psychopath shit

'you cant cross that line'
uh dude were you watching the game when i shot a pistol at dudes in a car and blew up a helicopter? you think those dudes are still alive?

They are alive and
sorry for messing with you. Suddenly Kiryu gets a ton of presents in the mail saying Sorry

To Seph's point; the amount of platinum plates that Kiryu receives after hitting those low level Yakuza with high caliber rubber bullets is baffling to comprehend.

Past

I feel ya - i only can play at night for few hours.

No official sales numbers
WI6SrQ4.jpg

The tweet doesn't really make any sense. He is still working on Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6. Of course they're not going to fire him.

Fhtagn

very interesting. what catches my eye is the setting. having just been to Japan I really wanna go through this and kick ass in the areas ive actually been to. Kinda like with Nioh. I just love Japan.

Thanks for the reply. I think im gunna pick this up. How is it for replayability? Is there a multiplayer of any kind?

Dunno about replayabilty so to speak but there is so much content in the form of minigames to max out and character leveling and what not (and a NG+ mode and an extra difficulty mode to start fresh in if you wanna go for it) that there is easily over 100 hours of game here if you want to really dig into it for the long haul.

Personally I'm nearing the end and keep thinking I'm gonna push forward on the story so I can finish and start playing Nioh and then I spend a few hours doing the real estate minigame and bowling instead. Sheesh.

Compulsively fun.

The tweet doesn't really make any sense. He is still working on Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6. Of course they're not going to fire him.

Well, it means we know it didn't bomb.

Bad lesson in my darts date because I just learned that growing up I've been playing wrong by trying to only get bullseyes.

Hey don't look at him, he just makes the English.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I did finish the game, of course. Story-wise, it's probably my favorite in the series. Definitely the best roster of characters in series history. Even over 2. The only downside is that with each of these releases, it continues to pound into me that I'm sick of Kamurocho and I really dislike the combat system in boss fights. Unfortunately, I don't think they did a good job with other cities in 2, 4, or 5 either. I also found all the new mini-games outside of Club Sunshine completely awful or tedious. Like this is the quickest I've just stopped fucking with the new mini-games before.

I didn't find Kiryu's tale that fascinating despite having some great villains either. I was hoping the prequel setting would help with my Kiryu overexposure that I've been feeling since the end of 3. Majima's whole arc was fantastic though. I wish it was longer. I wish the Kiryu stuff didn't exist and it was an entire campaign fleshing out Majima even if Sotenbori itself underwhelmed me like it usually does. I loved seeing all the characters that molded Majima into the weirdo he is today, like Nishitani, Lee, and Sagawa. I loved his fighting styles.

I don't know if I'm that excited for Kiwami since I already know the story and that's practically the only reason I play these games anymore. It'll never happen but its another entry that I love but continue to wish they'd reboot with a new protagonist, setting and combat engine. The sour note in it all is that I don't think this one can be topped for me with the next 2 being 'Kiryu and more Kiryu. How many times can they drag Kiryu back into the family this time? find out next week on Dragonball Kiryu'

Last night I unlocked the Brawler skill that lets you sidestep and then do a punishing move with the triangle button. I can't get it to work though, am I doing something wrong?

Also, I did the Ah-Ha sidestory last night,
and it's the only one where I feel like there was no clear right answer. Did anyone actually buy the water? Does it really show up at the office and you can sell it?

DJMicLuv

Nearly at the end of the Property game. Thank fuck. That was a bit of a slog and I still have at least another couple of hours in it 'til it's finished. The Cabaret game was a blast, I really enjoyed it, but some of this Property stuff has been harsh.

Has anyone got a nifty link to a guide on which exact setups to use on the Pocket Racing races?

I've got to completely befriend the Pocket Racing dude before I can get the last property I need and I find it a completely baffling mini-game. I managed to beat the little lass (my new girlfriend apparently) but I've hit a wall now.I can't wait to continue the story, I'm only on Chapter 9 and I'm 55 hours in.

DC1

I did finish the game, of course. Story-wise, it's probably my favorite in the series. Definitely the best roster of characters in series history. Even over 2. The only downside is that with each of these releases, it continues to pound into me that I'm sick of Kamurocho and I really dislike the combat system in boss fights. Unfortunately, I don't think they did a good job with other cities in 2, 4, or 5 either. I also found all the new mini-games outside of Club Sunshine completely awful or tedious. Like this is the quickest I've just stopped fucking with the new mini-games before.

I didn't find Kiryu's tale that fascinating despite having some great villains either. I was hoping the prequel setting would help with my Kiryu overexposure that I've been feeling since the end of 3. Majima's whole arc was fantastic though. I wish it was longer. I wish the Kiryu stuff didn't exist and it was an entire campaign fleshing out Majima even if Sotenbori itself underwhelmed me like it usually does. I loved seeing all the characters that molded Majima into the weirdo he is today, like Nishitani, Lee, and Sagawa. I loved his fighting styles.

I don't know if I'm that excited for Kiwami since I already know the story and that's practically the only reason I play these games anymore. It'll never happen but its another entry that I love but continue to wish they'd reboot with a new protagonist, setting and combat engine. The sour note in it all is that I don't think this one can be topped for me with the next 2 being 'Kiryu and more Kiryu. How many times can they drag Kiryu back into the family this time? find out next week on Dragonball Kiryu'

But 6 is Kiryu's last ride and Kiwami is a rebirth.

With that said, the Yakuza titles are so rich in content that fatigue is more easily achieved than one might expect.

subwilde

This is my first Yakuza but I have to say that I absolutely despise every boss fight. I just fought
Sera
and it was like not fun at all. I'm just getting rekt

Fhtagn

My point is that even if the game bombed, Sega wouldn't fire him because he still working on two other Yakuza projects. So the tweet really doesn't mean anything.

If it well and truly catastrophically bombed they'd probably cancel the other two.

But it definitely didn't... just a question of how much it overperformed expectations.

This is my first Yakuza but I have to say that I absolutely despise every boss fight. I just fought
Sera
Invest in your moves and abilities. In that said fight you can actually counter (the one that you learn from Komaki) his attacks which feels extremely satisfying.

kiaaa

Invest in your moves and abilities. In that said fight you can actually counter (the one that you learn from Komaki) his attacks which feels extremely satisfying.

Sera
is still one of the tougher bosses with his parry, though. He's the only one that can compete with cheese strategies in Ultimate Climax Battles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the actual biggest swerve in Y0 is
Awano being fucking jacked holy shit
But 6 is Kiryu's last ride

I'll believe it when I see a mainline Yakuza game without Kiryu as the lead.

I'll even throw this dark one out there

I'd rather have another Dead Souls than another Kiryu led game. Dead Souls 2 with Kuze, Awano, Nishitani and Lee.

Just got to chapter 7 and this game is SO much better when it isn't forcing me into the boring ass combat sections. The story is SO fucking engrossing. Thankfully I just got the ability to throw money to avoid fights and I will be using this SO much. It is such a chore to have to constantly do these remedial, PS2 era combat sections when I'm just trying to explore the city.

subwilde

Go for short combo opportunities. Quickdash a lot.

Noted. Ive just been buying ability upgrades when I have the money. Guess I should go make more cash and learn stuff. I have a feeling my timing is pretty bad too as I just get combod without being able to dodge or block a lot of times. Thank you for the tips

So what does unlocking the different weapon trainings for slugger style actually accomplish?

Also do some of you - like Son of Sparda - not get tired of answering noob questions like this?

Still 10 then, I guess. I keep getting home too late for turning on Yakuza to be a good idea. About to be off work for a week, so that'll help
cool so it sounds like we're right around the same track. i got a long ass commute to work to almost an hour. god willing if i get this new job that saves me at least 20 minutes. that's one reason why i bring my laptop to work so I can remote play the game.

last year I remote played digimon story cyber sleuth practically 90% of the entire game.

anyways, just completed chapter 11 and...
goddammit, I was starting to like Nishitani and the idea of him fighting with Majima sounded pretty darn rad, and then what the fuck? he just gets shot up right after that? not fucking cool.

kiaaa

Just got to chapter 7 and this game is SO much better when it isn't forcing me into the boring ass combat sections. The story is SO fucking engrossing. Thankfully I just got the ability to throw money to avoid fights and I will be using this SO much. It is such a chore to have to constantly do these remedial, PS2 era combat sections when I'm just trying to explore the city.

These games are RPGs at heart, random battles and all.

Vorheez

Nearly at the end of the Property game. Thank fuck. That was a bit of a slog and I still have at least another couple of hours in it 'til it's finished. The Cabaret game was a blast, I really enjoyed it, but some of this Property stuff has been harsh.

Has anyone got a nifty link to a guide on which exact setups to use on the Pocket Racing races?

I've got to completely befriend the Pocket Racing dude before I can get the last property I need and I find it a completely baffling mini-game. I managed to beat the little lass (my new girlfriend apparently) but I've hit a wall now.I can't wait to continue the story, I'm only on Chapter 9 and I'm 55 hours in.

Here you go:

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/pocketcircuit.html

Helped me out a lot! The names of the parts will be different because I think some things were changed during localization, but as long as you go by what the parts look like, you'll be fine.

Sera

Every "high level" fight in Yakuza involves:

- dashing behind during the enemy's combo and retaliating with your own (possibly short) combo before they decide to super armor and turn around.
- collecting tons of strong weapons and tauriner/staminan, then using heat actions galore just enough on each weapon before the heat goes stale (Yes heat moves go stale pretty quick)
- learning Tiger Drop timing to wreck the shit out of every boss (not really in Y0 though, unless you got
Mad Dog of Majima, then this is pretty much the way to beat Amon lol
)

Or a combination of the three. Some people say it's easy once you learn the boss' moves and how to dodge accordingly. But I guess that makes Dark Souls and every other videogame in existence easy too lmao.

Or a combination of the three. Some people say it's easy once you learn the boss' moves and how to dodge accordingly. But I guess that makes Dark Souls and every other videogame in existence easy too lmao.

That sounds like a thought that'd cross my mind! (well, at least its my opinion that Mega Man and Ghosts n Goblins is only hard until you actually learn enemy patterns, and then they are actually fairly straight forward, not easy, just not impossible).

But it is best to stick back and learn the number of hits to an enemy combo, which can be safely dodged to counter etc. as you can deliver damage to them without fearing a counter attack. And since each stance in this should have a counter move of some kind, it really does benefit the player to unlock them and learn the timings, it makes things so much more fair when you can counter anything the enemy throws at you.

But
Sera
is probably one of the toughest bosses in the game with his parry attack. I think my main way of fighting him was mainly throwing where possible, since a full frontal attack would just be parried for big damage.

Sera
is still one of the tougher bosses with his parry, though. He's the only one that can compete with cheese strategies in Ultimate Climax Battles.
Really? Maybe it's because I had already finished cabaret stuff and invested a lot in Majima's styles, but that fight felt fairly easy. In fact, none of the fights felt really as hard/intense as the last boss fight from Yakuza 5. That was really fun.

So what does unlocking the different weapon trainings for slugger style actually accomplish?

Also do some of you - like Son of Sparda - not get tired of answering noob questions like this?
Hahaha, not really. It's actually good to see people playing the game and trying to figure things out. Yakuza threads used to be so barren that this is actually very fun.

And to answer your question, if I'm not mistaken the durability of said weapons won't go down as long as you are not in heat mode. Though, I'm not sure about this so others might have to correct me.

SephLuis

IIRC, you get new attacks when using specific weapons. Equip them in the menu and then press down mid battle to use them.

Answering noob questions is part of our post game experience. We want to see people enjoying Kamurocho for the first time because there isn't anything quite like it anywhere else.

That sounds like a thought that'd cross my mind! (well, at least its my opinion that Mega Man and Ghosts n Goblins is only hard until you actually learn enemy patterns, and then they are actually fairly straight forward, not easy, just not impossible).

But it is best to stick back and learn the number of hits to an enemy combo, which can be safely dodged to counter etc. as you can deliver damage to them without fearing a counter attack. And since each stance in this should have a counter move of some kind, it really does benefit the player to unlock them and learn the timings, it makes things so much more fair when you can counter anything the enemy throws at you.

But
Sera
is probably one of the toughest bosses in the game with his parry attack. I think my main way of fighting him was mainly throwing where possible, since a full frontal attack would just be parried for big damage.

MM games and GnG I'd say are hard because the number of opportunities you get are limited, and the window of opportunity to win is pretty small (dunno how else I could say it if it's unclear).

It's true though, you can play the coward for the majority of this game (except during rush training lol). So learning enemy combos and movements is pretty key.

I won against
Sera
mostly by punching him in the back of the head. Otherwise his dodge/counter moves are too top tier for Majima lol. And of course heat actions.

Really? Maybe it's because I had already finished cabaret stuff and invested a lot in Majima's styles, but that fight felt fairly easy. In fact, none of the fights felt really hard/intense as the last boss fight from Yakuza 5. That was really fun.

Wait, Yakuza 5? You mean
Aizawa
? The guy you can literally Tiger Drop to death because his combo starter is ultra slow?

I've never fought him any other way so I don't know how good he actually is though lol

These games are RPGs at heart, random battles and all.

Yeah I can see the big RPG influences. It's just so s so tedious to have these boring ass cannon fodder enemies constantly thrown at you when I'm just trying to explore the world and do side missions. It's honestly immersion breaking at times too.

Wait, Yakuza 5? You mean
Aizawa
? The guy you can literally Tiger Drop to death because his combo starter is ultra slow?

I've never fought him any other way so I don't know how good he actually is though lol
Yeah. Yakuza 5 was so damn long that I kinda don't remember if I even had Tiger Drop when I faced him, cause I was just focused on finishing the damn story first, hahaha.

I usually don't use TD on story bosses cause that's just being too unfair to them. For me, TD is my secret weapon against
Amon
and Premium Adventure punks lol

Yeah I can see the big RPG influences. It's just so s so tedious to have these boring ass cannon fodder enemies constantly thrown at you when I'm just trying to explore the world and do side missions. It's honestly immersion breaking at times too.

I imagine most people in here would not agree with your assessment that it is "boring ass" combat. How much unlocking of your fighting style skill trees have you done?

is it just me or are these chapters flying by? not that I mind, this story is great, so I just finished chapter 12 and...
yayyy cool majima is gonna finally meet kiryu! this is so interesting because i never knew what got these two together. this'll make the experience of playing kiwami that much richer.

SephLuis

is it just me or are these chapters flying by? not that I mind, this story is great, so I just finished chapter 12 and...
yayyy cool majima is gonna finally meet kiryu! this is so interesting because i never knew what got these two together. this'll make the experience of playing kiwami that much richer.

Keep going....

The later chapters go faster because:

-The story gets more interesting
-You probably already done a ton of the side content anyway

very interesting. what catches my eye is the setting. having just been to Japan I really wanna go through this and kick ass in the areas ive actually been to. Kinda like with Nioh. I just love Japan.

Dude, if you love Japan, this game (and series in general) is 100% for you.
There is so much detail and love in the environments. Some of the locations / buildings are recreated from real life.
This game is as japanese as it gets.
Amazing Story, super cool and funny side quests, tons of fun and deep mini games, awesome arcade like brawling and RPG elements. And much much more.
There is so much to do. The amount of content is insane.

Oh man, I envy you. This is why I say that people shouldn't see the HBH video. He spoils way too much. I wish I had not seen it before playing Y0 :(

Aki-at

What do you mean last ride? It's the end of his storyline?

Sega said it was the final chapter in the Kazuma Kiryu legend.

Reboot series with Kiryu and Nishiki as buddies for life going around Japan saving the day and Haruka learns to take the mantle of legendary dragon aften extensive training from Kiryu and Goda PLZ!

I imagine most people in here would not agree with your assessment that it is "boring ass" combat. How much unlocking of your fighting style skill trees have you done?

I've unlocked just about everything I can without the extra the extra training. Basically everything available from the beginning. I mean if you want a better assessment of the combat I've posted pages ago about my distaste for it. It's extremely dated, easy, and monotonous. There isn't enough variation in the combos and switching between fighting styles is arbitrary and feels unnecessary. It also isn't very fluid in how it stops combat for a few seconds to switch your style.

I will say that Majima's Slugger and Breakdance styles are the best parts of the combat and significantly better than Kiryu's. Kiryu's styles just suck.

Yeah. Yakuza 5 was so damn long that I kinda don't remember if I even had Tiger Drop when I faced him, cause I was just focused on finishing the damn story first, hahaha.

I usually don't use TD on story bosses cause that's just being too unfair to them. For me, TD is my secret weapon against
Amon
and Premium Adventure punks lol

Fair enough lol, it was pretty much necessary for
Amon
in 5 cause any other strategy and he uses it on you instead. Not fun at all. =(

Chapter 12 is realistically the last chapter, because that's when you get your ass strapped in and you take the crazy ride all the way to the end.

Hahaha, not really. It's actually good to see people playing the game and trying to figure things out. Yakuza threads used to be so barren that this is actually very fun.

And to answer your question, if I'm not mistaken the durability of said weapons won't go down as long as you are not in heat mode. Though, I'm not sure about this so others might have to correct me.

IIRC, you get new attacks when using specific weapons. Equip them in the menu and then press down mid battle to use them.

Answering noob questions is part of our post game experience. We want to see people enjoying Kamurocho for the first time because there isn't anything quite like it anywhere else.

I admire you guys' dedication to the series. You honestly deserve something from Sega for all the free marketing and community engagement you do :p

Oh man, I envy you. This is why I say that people shouldn't see the HBH video. He spoils way too much. I wish I had not seen it before playing Y0 :(

Actually as cool as the intro to the game is it spoils a lot too. Most of it flies right over your head when starting out but if you mistakingly watch it like I did a couple chapters deep then it kind of sucks.

Fair enough lol, it was pretty much necessary for
Amon
in 5 cause any other strategy and he uses it on you instead. Not fun at all. =(
Yep. And it's really fun to just destroy him with that single move lol

I admire you guys' dedication to the series. You honestly deserve something from Sega for all the free marketing and community engagement you do :p
<3

Actually as cool as the intro to the game is it spoils a lot too. Most of it flies right over your head when starting out but if you mistakingly watch it like I did a couple chapters deep then it kind of sucks.
Oh yeah, definitely. That's the general rule with Yakuza intros. Only watch them the first time around, cause you won't remember what is what. If you watch them again while you are in the middle of the story, the chances are that you'll spoil yourself on some important story events.

you know I'm thinking of some sort of missed opportunities for cameos in Zero that would have been nice to see (not saying that it needed them) and few that comes to mind are *SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO GAMES AND 4 BE WARNED*
Killer Kawara
or just in general
Kage
and
Date
, since they were connected previously...or hell go for broke since they were in Little Asia
Tanimura's (adoptive) cop father

Aki-at

you know I'm thinking of some sort of missed opportunities for cameos in Zero that would have been nice to see (not saying that it needed them) and few that comes to mind are *SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO GAMES AND 4 BE WARNED*
Killer Kawara
or just in general
Kage
and
Date
, since they were connected previously...or hell go for broke since they were in Little Asia
Tanimura's (adoptive) cop father

I'm still a bit bummed out that
Yumi didn't appear in the bar at the end with Kiryu and Nishiki. And I sort of hate the fact that Kazama only had like 3 lines the whole game despite all this being his plan and how he was constantly referred.

subwilde

Played a good chunk tonight and I gotta be honest...As a casual player on chapter 12, the combat is really souring me on the game. I haven't bumped it down to easy yet but man there's something about the dodge in this game that really throws me off. I'm so defeated to the point that if I miss a dodge and get punched, I'll just take the full combo cause it's not worth the frustration.

Keep going....

The later chapters go faster because:

-The story gets more interesting
-You probably already done a ton of the side content anyway
-yeah the story has gotten super interesting ever since
they revealed the blind chick to be makimoto.

on the contrary though i actually have not done much of the side stuff, are we talking about mini games or just like talking to random people on the street and doing shit for them? coz i did that a couple of times but i never get bonus points for that at the end of each chapter. at least i don't think i do.
what HBH video?
Chapter 12 is realistically the last chapter, because that's when you get your ass strapped in and you take the crazy ride all the way to the end.
ohhhh yeah?

well speaking of chapter 13, i'm kiryu in sotenbori right now running around coz oda told me to go eat, and i did. now wtf do i do???

Aki-at

-yeah the story has gotten super interesting ever since
they revealed the blind chick to be makimoto.

on the contrary though i actually have not done much of the side stuff, are we talking about mini games or just like talking to random people on the street and doing shit for them? coz i did that a couple of times but i never get bonus points for that at the end of each chapter. at least i don't think i do.
what HBH video?
ohhhh yeah?

well speaking of chapter 13, i'm kiryu in sotenbori right now running around coz oda told me to go eat, and i did. now wtf do i do???

Just wander around town. Go to the
underground arena
for a couple of fights too. It should be the boat off the bridge.

Top Bottom