• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Dez_

Anyone got some tips on some of the tougher disco dance battles? I'm not sure what's more important, the amount of steps, the combo, and I don't know when the best time to use the Fever time heat move to maximize my score.

I lost to both
Ogita and the Media King. They both used the same song and I always mess up the rhythm. I got close and lost by about 50 points.

I wish I could pick my song, because some of the other ones have easier steps, even on hard.

Peff

Anyone got some tips on some of the tougher disco dance battles? I'm not sure what's more important, the amount of steps, the combo, and I don't know when the best time to use the Fever time heat move to maximize my score.

I lost to both
Ogita and the Media King. They both used the same song and I always mess up the rhythm. I got close and lost by about 50 points.

I wish I could pick my song, because some of the other ones have easier steps, even on hard.

Combo is definitely the key. Even if you two-step everything you can win with relative consistency if you do a full or close to full combo. As for Fever Time, use it ASAP to start gaining meter again and get another chance before the song ends. Just be careful not to use it when a note is about to hit because that seems to mess the combo.

MrDaravon

Yeah I think I'm done with the game now, the baseball minigame has broken me and it will prevent me from getting the Platinum, so I'm not going to bother mopping up the last one or two other things I have left along with the Legendary playthrough. Fucking insane that 120 hours spent doing virtually everything else in the game (JCC is about the only other thing I haven't finished/almost finished) and making money at the batting cage is what stops me. I'm kind of legitimately furious right now to be honest.

Ultimadrago

I lost to both

Try to get those extra steps in with each beat and use Fever Time as SOON as you get it. Don't save it as the songs are short.

Yeah I think I'm done with the game now, the baseball minigame has broken me and it will prevent me from getting the Platinum, so I'm not going to bother mopping up the last one or two other things I have left along with the Legendary playthrough. Fucking insane that 120 hours spent doing virtually everything else in the game (JCC is about the only other thing I haven't finished/almost finished) and making money at the batting cage is what stops me. I'm kind of legitimately furious right now to be honest.

Well, I won't tell you to not stop, but the baseball mini-game completion (as much as I'm not fond of it) is far from the most difficult challenge. It helps that you don't actually have to complete the [Super] Gold Rush in order to get the 5 Million Challenge for the list.

MrDaravon

Well, I won't tell you to not stop, but the baseball mini-game completion (as much as I'm not fond of it) is far from the most difficult challenge. It helps that you don't actually have to complete the [Super] Gold Rush in order to get the 5 Million Challenge for the list.

I've done almost everything else (except for JCC and Mahjong) so I'm not really concerned about any other challenges at this point. But after hours and hours of nothing but attempting the Super Gold Rush (between last night and this morning I went from 3 billion yen to ZERO on nothing but attempts) I still haven't even hit the break-even point a single time on it, my completion for the game is still 0%. It's actually fucking crazy given that outside of having some issues with the dodging minigame (which in hindsight was me mostly trying to cut it way too close) I haven't had the slightest problem with anything else in the game, and I did almost all of the disco stuff first try including 3-starring all difficulties and the disco battles.

I know the pitches are the same, I have them written/down memorized, I've watched videos, I've tried just eyeing the ball, watching Kiryu's stance, a combination of both, and just fucking nothing. I can't even get to the 4th ball most of the time. It's at the point where if it wasn't for me having no problems with the disco stuff I would swear it's an actual latency issue with my TV or something. Most of the time the problem is it seems to be registering late because I hit X and it's already too late and he doesn't swing, but if I try manually doing it any earlier at all it's way too early and I either whiff or the ball goes somewhere else. I really have no goddamn idea man, but I've been working on this the entirety of my playthrough (I remember baseball being a total bitch in 4) and probably a dedicated 5-6 hours over the last few days and I just don't have it in me anymore.

Edit: Okay on a whim I tried playing with the controller hardwired to the system to test my latency theory, and I made 5 million on my very first attempt. This....can't be a thing right? I mean I'm fucking ecstatic I got this done, but it couldn't have actually been a latency thing right??? I mean I could understand that except for the fact that I had no problems with the disco minigame or anything else that I'm able to tell. I'm still mad but also kind of baffled. BACK ON TRACK FOR THE PLATINUM BOYS

Is JCC as bad as everyone says?

I lost to both

I would focus on getting long combos first, and only once you've got that down start adding extra steps in between each section. For everyone except
Ogita
I'm pretty sure you can do the minimum number of steps between each move and at least have a shot of beating them, if not guaranteed. The one you mention was the only one I had any difficulty, and I ended up beating him the second time around.

It's deceptive because it sounds like your competitors are making tons of steps and it feels like you should too, but it turns out they break combo a lot. If you actually watch the score counters it turns out you can keep up just fine so long as you don't break combo.

They do similar things for every city included in the series - So Osaka, Hiroshima etc. are all faithfully reacreated (albeit in compressed forms) for the series as well. Its a really nice touch.

I didn't spend a ton of time in Kabukicho but it's ridiculous how much of Dotonbori they got into the game. Like, the Don Quijote is in the right place and everything. It makes me want to look up photos of the area in the 80s because I can't believe that a) the canals were just places for homeless people to hang out back then and b) that there was so much trash just lying around everywhere.

Ultimadrago

Edit: Okay on a whim I tried playing with the controller hardwired to the system to test my latency theory, and I made 5 million on my very first attempt. This....can't be a thing right? I mean I'm fucking ecstatic I got this done, but it couldn't have actually been a latency thing right??? I mean I could understand that except for the fact that I had no problems with the disco minigame or anything else that I'm able to tell. I'm still mad but also kind of baffled. BACK ON TRACK FOR THE PLATINUM BOYS

Is JCC as bad as everyone says?

Glad you were able to overcome. And JCC can just be a bugger due to the random elements, but its "Badness" is likely overestimated at this point. Sticking with the counter to your opponent's strongest/most used move and hammering on should do you fine.

P.S. When you are in a stalemate and you mash to the opponent's side and they almost magically start pushing back, it's already decided that you'll lose. Save yourself the energy and mash decently quick at the start, but not like a madman in stalemates. It doesn't help much. That said, I mash during my Rainbow moves as fast as I can (though I don't think it did much)!

When it's getting hot and steamy in that phone dating game and you want to pounce on the opportunity by asking her the million yen question but instead ask her....

lQWfVHf.jpg

The background looking like a facepalm is what makes this

Yup, January 26.

The Witness released in January last year and I'd say that's GOTY material too. And then this year, I don't think it'll make GOTY for me but Gravity Rush 2 is up there. Q1 is quickly becoming my favourite time of year gaming-wise.

Yeah, this first quarter has been nuts, GR2, Yakuza 0, RE7, NiOh all in such an insanely short space of time. And though it wasn't released this year, I'm also playing Dark Souls through for the first time which would certainly be a GOTY game for whatever year it was released! So yeah, I'm really enjoying gaming at the moment!

The best weapons are typically "late-game" stuff in the sense that it costs a LOT of money to get. The more money you put into it, the higher quality parts and weapons you can acquire. Much like the real estate business, it would have been MUCH better if you could manage it from anywhere in the world instead of having to go to the place everytime.

Yeah, tried to use the weapon agent thing these last few hours and I gave up. It's just soo inconvenient to rush back and forth to the place every few minutes. With real estate at least its my main source of income, but I don't feel like getting an unbreakable Nunchaku is worth turning around the map every 5 minutes.

But hey, at least I can spam 'em with my money for instant gathering if I need something later.

I'll stick with filling my inventory with guns for now :))

Also, you can farm Mr. Shakedown for cash but you gotta git gud at it (or cheese it by using a lot of heat moves).

Looks like it isn't my thing either lol, just accidentally fought the 3rd iteration of it when I left the game running unattended for like 2 minutes.

I just throw all of my bullets at him, do the slugger heat action, evade out, repeat. And I'm still almost lose a few times!

A golden rifle and a few Habu drinks saved my ass....

It doesn't happen too often that a goty releases in January.

With Persona 5 coming this April, I don't think so. But if there's no Persona releasing? I'm pretty sure this is my GOTY.

nOoblet16

Why does it take Sega so long to make the western release for Yakuza btw? There is no voice work and I understand there are a fuck ton of lines in the script but it takes Sega 2 years to localise it, that's probably as long as the dev time of a Yakuza game.

Yakuza 3 took 1 year, Yakuza 4 took 1 year to make western release...that seems like an appropriate amount of time. But then Yakuza 5 took 3 years, Yakuza 0 took almost 2 years, Kiwami when it comes out would be 1.5 years while Yakuza 6 when it comes out would be almost 2 years. Yakuza 2 was an exception because it was never meant to be released in the west and Sega changed their mind much much later. Infact it was the same story for Yakuza 3 but it still took them only 1 year to make the western release.

As far as I know Kiwami doesn't even needs to spend much time on localisation because Yakuza 1 was fully localised with english dubs even.

Why does it take Sega so long to localise these games btw?
There is no voice work and I understand there are a fuck ton of lines in the script but it takes Sega 2 years to localise it, that's probably as long as the dev time of a Yakuza game.
General fuck up by SEGA by making some weird and stupid decisions in terms of localization (removing side content, giving it a stupid english dub in the first, taking way too long to release a localization) mixed with the general lack of interest in the series that stemmed from those decisions which makes them even less willing to spend resources on this.

And Yakuza 5 probably wouldn't have gotten a localization if Sony hadn't stepped in, we've heard their reps even say as much. And with Yakuza 6, it'll be like 1 and around a quarter year. Yakuza 6 came out in Dec 2016 in JPN and Early 2018 for West.

My theory is that by the time Yakuza Dead Souls sold a piddly amount even compared to the previous entries, they just decided "you know what, fuck the west" until Sony decided to step in and offered support in making Yakuza 5. That most likely rekindled their interest in porting the rest of the series.

nOoblet16

General fuck up by SEGA by making some weird and stupid decisions in terms of localization (removing side content, giving it a stupid english dub in the first, taking way too long to release a localization) mixed with the general lack of interest in the series that stemmed from those decisions which makes them even less willing to spend resources on this.

And Yakuza 5 probably wouldn't have gotten a localization if Sony hadn't stepped in, we've heard their reps even say as much. And with Yakuza 6, it'll be like 1 and around a quarter year. Yakuza 6 came out in Dec 2016 in JPN and Early 2018 for West.

My theory is that by the time Yakuza Dead Souls sold a piddly amount even compared to the previous entries, they just decided "you know what, fuck the west" until Sony decided to step in and offered support in making Yakuza 5. That most likely rekindled their interest in porting the rest of the series.
EDIT: Oh wait never mind. I was thinking about Yakuza 5.

Finished the game last night. Wow what a ride, one of the few games where I clapped at the end during the credits. The final battles were amazing with
the final battle with Kuze being my favorite because of the music and I feel being the most difficult of the final battles. The end with Majima is quite sad how he had to pretty much become a stranger to Makoto in order for her to live a happy life. This makes me love Majima as a character even more.
Yakuza 0 is really making me pumped for Yakuza Kiwami this summer and Yakuza 6 down the road.

Rarius

The Real-Estate stuff is handled... oddly in this game. It's super in depth and there are a lot of options, but it never notifies you about stuff and that's really weird. I don't know if there is a conflict unless I go back to the office or look at the full map.

DJMicLuv

The Real-Estate stuff is handled... oddly in this game. It's super in depth and there are a lot of options, but it never notifies you about stuff and that's really weird. I don't know if there is a conflict unless I go back to the office or look at the full map.

If you press the pause menu and go down to 'Business' I think it tells you what's currently happening with each collection.

EndMerit

2 back-to-back Catfight victories. First one betting 50M to Yurie (1st round against Momoko, 2nd against Jennifer) with multiplier of 12, second betting full 99M to Maria with multiplier of 10.
Walked away with +1.5 billion yen and +3 CP.

It makes me want to look up photos of the area in the 80s because I can't believe that a) the canals were just places for homeless people to hang out back then and b) that there was so much trash just lying around everywhere.

That was the strangest part to me. Everything I've read and seen about Japan is that the streets are exceptionally clean, but the cities in this game look more like NYC with the piles of trash on the streets. Is this amount of trash there in the later Yakuza games?

In the Business section of the info screen (Options button) it will also show if any areas are in trouble. But yeah, strange that the security guys don't page you or something when trouble comes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Even with all of the other games coming out, I can't wait for Kiwami.

I mean, I liked Yakuza 4 and to a lesser extent 5, but neither game grabbed me the way this one did. The way 0 teases parts of Kiwami is awesome too. You know a guy like Shimano is going to do something important down the line.

Yup, January 26.

The Witness released in January last year and I'd say that's GOTY material too. And then this year, I don't think it'll make GOTY for me but Gravity Rush 2 is up there. Q1 is quickly becoming my favourite time of year gaming-wise.

LittleBigPlanet 2 released in January too, the same day Mass Effect 2 released on Ps3 and for me that's definitely GOTY material.

so overall there's been great games that have released in that month, I also got my birthday in that month lol but I guess most people just don't think about January for top tier games since it's right after the end of the previous year where a whole lotta blockbuster games and oscar-tending movies come out.

JDMC13

Just beat
Jo and So Amon. For Kiryu, I did it without using any health items. For Majima, I cheesed it by using a Calming Towel with Thunder God Staff, but after attempt 30 I accept my limitations.

Might need to look at the climax battles now.

Jeels

Quick question - at what point and how do I unlock the Maurocho Real Estate?

Also, I'm early in the game, and some dude told me to come hone my battle skills at a location, but I can't even go inside it. I noticed there are several other locations I can't go inside either (like a place to view erotica)...?

firelogic

Considering you have a secretary working there, the collections should have been automatic or done via payphones or something.

Why does it take Sega so long to make the western release for Yakuza btw? There is no voice work and I understand there are a fuck ton of lines in the script but it takes Sega 2 years to localise it, that's probably as long as the dev time of a Yakuza game.

Yakuza 3 took 1 year, Yakuza 4 took 1 year to make western release...that seems like an appropriate amount of time. But then Yakuza 5 took 3 years, Yakuza 0 took almost 2 years, Kiwami when it comes out would be 1.5 years while Yakuza 6 when it comes out would be almost 2 years. Yakuza 2 was an exception because it was never meant to be released in the west and Sega changed their mind much much later. Infact it was the same story for Yakuza 3 but it still took them only 1 year to make the western release.

As far as I know Kiwami doesn't even needs to spend much time on localisation because Yakuza 1 was fully localised with english dubs even.

The series was on hiatus in the West after how poorly Dead Souls did. So Yakuza 5 wasn't being worked on for most of those 3 years. Since they restarted they seem to want to aim to keep releases at approximately 1 a year (presumably to avoid burnout) but obviously are doubling up a bit to get Kiwami and Yakuza 6 out in decent time frames.

Hopefully we will be at one year or less delay moving forward from Yakuza 6. And, assuming Yakuza 6 debuts early next year, the delay between Japanese release and Western release is closer to 1 year than 2.

Also re: Kiwami- pretty sure they are going to retranslate it. The original subs aren't really consistent with how the series has been localized since. Nevermind all the new content that Kiwami brings to the table.

Considering you have a secretary working there, the collections should have been automatic or done via payphones or something.

It's clearly to try to avoid the player completely breaking the economy by letting the game run in the background for a few hours while he racks up a trillion yen.

Tizoc

I should be finishing off the game.
Instead I'm leaving messages in a toilet stall, and convincing people to drop millions of yen just to talk to pretty women.

Is it a two player thing but I saw a video of nishki at the disco having a dance off against kiriyu. Thought you could only invite lady friends to disco time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finished it! The game itself is great and Kiryu is Kiryu but the game totally and completely elevates Majima. It turns him from a goofy side character into a genuinely likable hero of the entire franchise. Wowowowo amazing game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So how much of Kiwami takes place in the 90's? I know it's not very much... :/

90's Yakuza starring Nishiki and Majima please.

Speaking of, I wish I could pay to have that
Yamanoi guy stop coming to the office. He just sits there doing nothing, looking like a broken man; it's kind of depressing to walk in there.

Less trash but still messy place overall.

Hm, well I've never been to Japan so maybe the parts of the cities they focus on are less taken care of.

Man, the amount of (high quality) content is insane :)
Still in Chapter 7 after 70 hours.
The Real Estate and Cabaret stuff is super addictive.
Can't stop making huge amounts of money!

Rarius

Speaking of more Real Estate stuff... is there any way to figure out where I can buy other than like, exterior collision-ing every fucking street?

Top Bottom