• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I'm having a blast with this especially compared to Yakuza 5. The side missions are fun and light hearted and the writing is enjoyably self aware a lot of times. I'm having fun just building up my real estate, exploring side missions and doing mini games.

The only thing I think is bullshit is the cat fight club since that seems to be all random chance based off my experiences and what I've read. I don't know why you'd build such a robust mini game and then omit any kind of player control.

But otherwise I'm still having a lot of fun even at 40 hours in. 30 hours into Yakuza 5 I was already ready for it to end.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's about 30-35 hours if you focus on the main story. However, this game has a ridiculous amount of side content so you could easily spend 60+ hours. It took me roughly 75 hours to beat the game at 76% completion. I did all the substories (side quests) but avoided the minigames for the most part unless it was part of a substory.

Took me about 65 hours to beat the game, complete about 60% of both the real estate and cabaret club businesses, and complete about the same percentage of sidestories in the game (total completion was 48%). I think the best way to approach the game is to do as much as you want to while you're still in the campaign, but move on when you're starting to feel itchy about continuing the story. That gives you a certain amount of flexibility in terms of how much time you want to spend, but still allows you to do a bunch of the fun sidestories and minigames. If you decide at the end of the game that you want to do more of the side stuff, you can pick up where you left off in Premium Adventure (basically, it's the mode where you keep playing with your save file after the story is finished). I'm doing that now to try and clean up the real estate and cabaret businesses.
I was not expecting that... lol

J_Viper

I've made some progress into Chapter 2, and as much as I love the narrative, voice acting, and overall style, I find myself waiting for the gameplay to "open up", if that makes sense.

Again, I enjoy the writing, but I feel like this game is giving MGS a run for it's money in terms of cut-scene-heavy openings, and it's a bit worse here since there are so many sequences of unvoiced text that have me dozing off a bit, regardless of how great a job the translation team did.

When does this hit the point where I'm free to mess around with side-quests/mini-games and all that?

Alucrid

Banned
I've made some progress into Chapter 2, and as much as I love the narrative, voice acting, and overall style, I find myself waiting for the gameplay to "open up", if that makes sense.

Again, I enjoy the writing, but I feel like this game is giving MGS a run for it's money in terms of cut-scene-heavy openings, and it's a bit worse here since there are so many sequences of unvoiced text that have me dozing off a bit, regardless of how great a job the translation team did.

When does this hit the point where I'm free to mess around with side-quests/mini-games and all that?

chapter 2

This game is incredible. I got distracted for too many hours making money but now it's just like I'm dying to see what happens next so I'm running through it.

Vorheez

Well... I finished it guys. Wow, what a wild ride that was. The story was incredible and I was very happy with how it ended. I'm a little sad that it's over but oh well, I have more Yakuza to look forward to in the summer!

I have a question about the story though,
were the guys that killed sagwasa (sp?) at the end avenging the death of the guy who was shot by shamano (I'm terrible with names I know lol)

Well... I finished it guys. Wow, what a wild ride that was. The story was incredible and I was very happy with how it ended. I'm a little sad that it's over but oh well, I have more Yakuza to look forward to in the summer!

I have a question about the story though,
were the guys that killed sagwasa (sp?) at the end avenging the death of the guy who was shot by shamano (I'm terrible with names I know lol)

Thats what I'm assuming as well. It was Sagawa's fault for bringing the Omi HQ leader in to see Shimano, so he was killed for accountability.

Edgeward

Finally finished the real estate quest. The last stretch was rather tedious since I finished all the side missions I could do in between waiting. Now to get Kiryu's abilities but his stuff is more expensive than Majima's which I already filled among the 3 styles with 10 billion left in cash.

Vorheez

Thats what I'm assuming as well. It was Sagawa's fault for bringing the Omi HQ leader in to see Shimano, so he was killed for accountability.
Yeah, I figured. Thank you for the confirmation :)

Ugh, I really am sad that it's over... The remake can't come soon enough.

Okay, I just started Ch. 11 and I don't want any spoilers, but
this opening makes little sense. Majima's handler (forgot his name, sorry) is beating the hell out of him, tells him he's going to kill Majima, and then we cut to a conversation scene where the handler says he'll kill Majima if he's lying. Like dude, you already told Majima you were going to kill him anyway, what's the point of that threat? And why is Majima just gladly working for him again? He knows if he finds Makoto, she's just going to be killed, and Majima is going to be killed, so...wtf?

Freddo

Finally managed to get 100% earlier (the gambling den stuff was surprisingly easy after pulling my hair out for Mahjong), and 2,5 hours later I also finished the game. Epic stuff! I guess I will play thru the game on Legend soon, but it will have to wait a while.

I've started bumping the difficulty down to easy when I see Mr. Shakedown because I just don't have the patience to go through his forty billion health bars anymore

I always get him down to the last one and then just get impatient and he'll one shot me smh

Gacha-pin

Okay, I just started Ch. 11 and I don't want any spoilers, but
this opening makes little sense. Majima's handler (forgot his name, sorry) is beating the hell out of him, tells him he's going to kill Majima, and then we cut to a conversation scene where the handler says he'll kill Majima if he's lying. Like dude, you already told Majima you were going to kill him anyway, what's the point of that threat? And why is Majima just gladly working for him again? He knows if he finds Makoto, she's just going to be killed, and Majima is going to be killed, so...wtf?

I think you are trying to read too much from a casual threatening word. Sagawa (Majima's handler) says he is going to kill Majima after they find Makoto. Sagawa is just trying to say something like...even before finding her, he will kill Majima if he is lying or hiding something in the next part.

For those that are having trouble with mahjong
I think this is a good pdf guide that explains in depth the rules of the game.
I actually learned riichi mahjong way before playing it in Yakuza games, just by using this guide.Of course you don't have to read every page because the are some competition stuff that are irrelevant for the Yakuza minigame.

After that it's just practice, the more you play the more you will learn

nOoblet16

Man why does everyone gets so angry in Yakuza games that they'd almost kill someone for simply bumping into someone ? I've seen this trope so many times since the first game and it gets hilarious everytime it pops up lol.

I think you are trying to read too much from a casual threatening word...

Yeah I got that part, but
I'm saying why would Majima help Sagawa find Makoto if he's just going to kill her anyway? Might as well at least save her if he's going to die regardless

btw you should really put your answer in spoilers since that's direct plot details.

I'm saying why would Majima help Sagawa find Makoto if he's just going to kill her anyway? Might as well at least save her if he's going to die regardless

btw you should really put your answer in spoilers since that's direct plot details.

He can't escape Sagawa after all, so might as well let him tag along and maybe try to save Makoto when he gets to her.

Gacha-pin

I'll try to explain it as vague as possible as I don't remember when those stuff are explained in the game or not explained.
Sotenbori is a metaphor of the prison Majima is supposed to be in. He takes the situation (trapped in Sotenbori and do a shit job) as a punishment and burden he has to take. And he desperately wants to be a yakuza again for the reason. Obeying Sagawa is the only way for him to go back to be a yakuza. But I think at this point of the story you are in, he just wants to help Makoto.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: It'd cost too much to license it for the international version, especially considering how poorly it sells in the west. Probably cheaper to make some new music, which is exactly what they did. At least it was done in-house.

It's actually not THAT bad, it kinda grew on me.

Licensing issues I'd imagine.

Oh, and the ED is also cut from the game where it's replaced by a somber piano melody that IMO fits the ending better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lf9gQbB-kU

man... this SUCKS

Really enjoing the game. Two things though: Why is the camera so limited in its Y-axis movement? I always need to go into 1st person to check the area out.
And secondly, is it possible to lock on to enemies without having to hold R1?

nOoblet16

FFS these assholes with guns in the final level are really annoying. The game almost never makes you face this many guns this often and now I have to take care of multiple of them who all look the same as other goons. There's this other part where there is a long corridor and you have like 5-6 guys in front of you but at the end of this long corridor you have two assholes with guns shooting you, even if I make a run for them I get shot.

FFS these assholes with guns in the final level are really annoying. The game almost never makes you face this many guns this often and now I have to take care of multiple of them who all look the same as other goons. There's this other part where there is a long corridor and you have like 5-6 guys in front of you but at the end of this long corridor you have two assholes with guns shooting you, even if I make a run for them I get shot.

Yes that part was annoying.To make it easier you either have to bring a gun as well or
grab a nearby object and when you see the guys facing the gun at you, to block

Aki-at

Use Rush, dash past everyone and just one combo should beat them. Fairly easy to neutralise as long as you don't focus on the goons without guns.

You guessed correctly.

The most annoying part it is that sometimes it DOES work so you have to mash because otherwise you might lose in a fight that you could win.

This could have been a half decent mini-game except it had to have the two things I loathe the most, RNG and fucking button mashing.

A lame QTE would have been far better than this shoulder searing monstrosity

keiichi

Finding it a little hard to progress in chapter 5 or 6 because I'm constantly running back to my base to collect profits :(

Unsure if I need to keep some yen on hand to purchase future properties or upgrade my build.

Game is a blast

rdytoroll

Also:

And:

Press down on the d-pad with a weapon equipped to whip it out during combat.

EDIT: It's actually the Charismatic Autobiography.

What does it do though? Or am I better off not knowing lol

I don't think I can use the english dub, seems like my german disc version only has japanese with english text. I'm fine with that tho

Top Bottom