• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

What does it do though? Or am I better off not knowing lol

I don't think I can use the english dub, seems like my german disc version only has japanese with english text. I'm fine with that tho
The charismatic autobiography enhances the difficulty by having more enemies attack you at the same time rather than "taking their turn" like an action movie. A surprising amount of people in this thread equipped the item without reading the description and said that the game just got harder all of a sudden and couldn't figure it out.

Also Yakuza 1 is the ONLY Yakuza game to get an english dub (mainly because it sucked ass outside of Mark Hamil) and every Yakuza game released in the west since then has had the original JP voice with Eng text. It's for the best, the JP voices are FUCKING STELLAR. This game had scenes which actually made me emotional because the performance was just so on point. And that's not even counting the times where I got emotional cause of the twists or the story!

rdytoroll

The charismatic autobiography enhances the difficulty by having more enemies attack you at the same time rather than "taking their turn" like an action movie. A surprising amount of people in this thread equipped the item without reading the description and said that the game just got harder all of a sudden and couldn't figure it out.

Also Yakuza 1 is the ONLY Yakuza game to get an english dub (mainly because it sucked ass outside of Mark Hamil) and every Yakuza game released in the west since then has had the original JP voice with Eng text. It's for the best, the JP voices are FUCKING STELLAR. This game had scenes which actually made me emotional because the performance was just so on point. And that's not even counting the times where I got emotional cause of the twists or the story!

Thanks, no way am I going to use that lol

Sounds great!

So I bet all my money on Jennifer and walked away with 200 million yen. Expensive skills here I come.

Also got done with chapter 6. While I'm hype to get back to Majima, shit got really real with Kiryu as well.

Awano god damn

hamsjams

Finally blew Club Moon out of the water! That was satisfying. Also, I noticed/discovered two things yesterday that may be old news to series vets.

If you equip the Ebisu Socks you can flutter the left stick to make your character stutter-step. This drastically increases the amount of money you can earn from them. I made close to 30 thousand in about 10 seconds by stutter-stepping across Club Sunshine. It's not game breaking, but it might help out if you're desperate.

In the coliseum, I realized that each enemy has a pretty consistent timing to when they launch an attack from a neutral position. Some attack as soon as you're in range. Some make lunging attacks to close distance. Others will sort of dance in range with you for a second or more before attacking. But the length of that "dancing" phase or block recovery is fairly consistant per individual enemy. It feels like a fighting game because you can eventually "read" the opponent instead of relying on reflexive reactions. You can know with confidence when an enemy is going to attack or be vulnerable to a grab and act accordingly, knowing what an enemy will do before they do it.

That realization made me notice that I'm over 100 hours into this but still not tired of the combat. It occupies this uncommon space between Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Streets of Rage, and an AKI wrestling game with a touch of Ninja Gaiden 2's Obliteration Technique-focused tactical considerations. There's even an element of DMC in there by trying to maximize your gain of xp (money) by balancing efficiency, variety, and style in your actions. 100+ hours in and I just want more!

No idea why the camera acts the way it does, sometimes. Don't recall ever being forced into needing 1st person, though. Seems like lock-on is only hold, unfortunately. The entire lock-on system is kind of odd to me.

Are you able to eventually get all of the weapons and equipment from
the north pole
?

Also, anyone know any good resources for things like shogi, mahjong, and hanafuda?

Shin-Ra

Okay. I only have two trophies left for the Platinum.

1: Climax Battles
2: Legendary

I want/need to knock out the Climax battles before progressing. Currently stuck on 1-8.

Looking forward to trying to beat 1-8 this evening without being slightly inebriated.
Climax 1-8's where I'm at too.

I think taking a break after the previous climax battles is a good idea.

To be fair, the description is pretty vague. I figured the item would spawn encounters with fans of the band that would fight you or something like that.

Only because I had heard the previous games had similiar items like that did I figure what's going on when regular enemies on the street beat my ass.

Where are these shops?
I am at the point of no return can I go to Sotenbori from here and discover the crafting thing?

Yeah, just take a cab
as Majima to
Sotenbori.

For Sotenbori, top of the map. Yellow coloured store on the map.
For Kiryu, it's in the middle of the map in Kamorucho, those narrow ass districts. Keep walking along the northern part of that narrow ass district and a notification will pop up on it's own.

Alternatively, you can just complete the game and do all that in premium adventure mode. It's a mode where you can continue your savegame and wander around the city with no restrictions and all sidequests that haven't been done available to you, only you don't have to worry about the story.

nOoblet16

Yeah, just take a cab
as Majima to
Sotenbori.

For Sotenbori, top of the map. Yellow coloured store on the map.
For Kiryu, it's in the middle of the map in Kamorucho, those narrow ass districts. Keep walking along the northern part of that narrow ass district and a notification will pop up on it's own.

Alternatively, you can just complete the game and do all that in premium adventure mode. It's a mode where you can continue your savegame and wander around the city with no restrictions and all sidequests that haven't been done available to you, only you don't have to worry about the story.
Is that the password side quest guy in the same area as the empty lot? That guy doesn't sell guns only swords and bats etc

Is that the password side quest guy in the same area as the empty lot? That guy doesn't sell guns only swords and bats etc

As Laevateinn said, it's a shop near that guy. Just keep walking around the district and you'll get stopped.

You probably need to already have encountered that shop in Sotenbori with Majima, but I think that's part of the main story.

nOoblet16

As Laevateinn said, it's a shop near that guy. Just keep walking around the district and you'll get stopped.

You probably need to already have encountered that shop in Sotenbori with Majima, but I think that's part of the main story.

Nope nothing in it, and I didn't see any with Majima.

Well if you think about it, Y1's dub probably sucked BECAUSE Mark Hamill.

Probably burned their voiceacting budget hiring him worse than Bethesda did to theirs hiring Pat Stewart for Oblivion.

Majima's shop is right next to the Club Sega in Sotenbori. You probably can't access Kiryu's shop until you've opened Majima's so if you haven't gone there yet that might be why you're having trouble accessing the one in Kamurocho.

In the following picture, that shop is the one on the right, the yellow coloured little store with the icon of a trainer (icon of a man) on top of it.

Yakuza-0-Substory-Be-My-Boyfriend.jpg

Well if you think about it, Y1's dub probably sucked BECAUSE Mark Hamill.

Probably burned their voiceacting budget hiring him worse than Bethesda did to theirs hiring Pat Stewart for Oblivion.
They had enough money for Eliza Dushku and Michael Madsen. Not particularly A-list, but still they cost money too.

Even Mark Hamil's acting wasn't exactly breakout, it was just.... good. Not great, just good.

But because it was still leagues better than literally every other voice in the game, naturally it stood out.

nOoblet16

Majima's shop is to the right of the Sega Arcade, Kiryu's shop is somewhere along the upper right corner, left side in Kamurocho Shopping Street.

Majima's shop is right next to the Club Sega in Sotenbori. You probably can't access Kiryu's shop until you've opened Majima's so if you haven't gone there yet that might be why you're having trouble accessing the one in Kamurocho.

In the following picture, that shop is the one on the right, the yellow coloured little store with the icon of a trainer (icon of a man) on top of it.

Yakuza-0-Substory-Be-My-Boyfriend.jpg

I found that tiger shop but it's closed, so probably have to go to the shop with Majima first in Sotenbori

I found that tiger shop but it's closed, so probably have to go to the shop with Majima first in Sotenbori

Yeah,
Kiryu can also go there,
but only after Majima has gone there and been through the whole song and dance of learning how to craft and send agents.

nOoblet16

Yeah,
Kiryu can also go there,
but only after Majima has gone there and been through the whole song and dance of learning how to craft and send agents.

Wait I just did that, this is for crafting?
Can I not just buy guns somewhere in this game instead of bothering with crafting?

Can I not just buy guns somewhere in this game instead of bothering with crafting?

Nope. Guns are high level, "beats everything" weapons so naturally you gotta craft em, or get them through stuff like million yen dream machines or something. The game would be incredibly broken if you could just buy guns and just shoot your way through most encounters, there'd be no real difficulty.

The password merchant MIGHT sell guns but if he doesn't then you're pretty much out of luck.

There's a limited number of weaker equipment that's available from the start for purchase. I don't know if guns are available then or not though. Everything else must be got by finding a recipe and crafting.

muteki

The CP upgrades to speed up money collection at the shrine don't seem worth it to me, unless you like to just walk around and wait. I have been able to go out, do one activity (minigame, side quest, etc) and have payout ready as soon as I'm done since at least level 3, maybe level 2. Could have saved 30+ CP for something else...

holygeesus

Banned
Nope. Guns are high level, "beats everything" weapons so naturally you gotta craft em, or get them through stuff like million yen dream machines or something. The game would be incredibly broken if you could just buy guns and just shoot your way through most encounters, there'd be no real difficulty.

The password merchant MIGHT sell guns but if he doesn't then you're pretty much out of luck.

I'm only up to chapter 10 and I seem to have managed to happen upon 3 guns already - two handguns and a shotgun. Pretty sure I got the shotgun from a random street encounter. Bizarre.

I'm only up to chapter 10 and I seem to have managed to happen upon 3 guns already - two handguns and a shotgun. Pretty sure I got the shotgun from a random street encounter. Bizarre.

Regular handguns are still ok, but shotguns and the like pack a real punch.

Plus you can get some insanely damaging weaponry from crafting.

We are talking
lightsabers
and
cannons
just to name two.

Where do I buy guns?

Aside from what the other guys mentioned, you can also obtain guns from the "luck" vending machines scattered around the cities (1 million yen ones) and also obtain some of them through CP unlock - you can unlock the Golden Shotgun through that, for instance. I also got lucky and got a few others guns from the vending machines too like the paintball one and Broken Shotgun.

And yeah, sometimes random encounters give you weapon drops rather than just healing items.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm pretty sure I got the broken shotgun from that side-quest you do with the punk rock band. Are the items you receive from side-quests random?

mike6467

So, question. I''m pretty sure this is Chapter 10/Kiryu, might be 11 though.
Kiryu is escaping Tokyo and heading to Sotenbori. The game tells you that it may be awhile before you return, so you should make some money. How long is it really? Is this like, not coming back until just the end of the game? Or just not coming back for a chapter or two?

Zanzura

This could have been a half decent mini-game except it had to have the two things I loathe the most, RNG and fucking button mashing.

A lame QTE would have been far better than this shoulder searing monstrosity

The only thing that has any bearing on anything in that dumb mini-game is the fighters' mood at the bottom. That affects your chances of getting a stronger attack if you win the RPS RNG part. Things like "Drew the best possible fortune" or "Record sales skyrocket" or whatever results in a higher likelihood of getting red/rainbow attacks. It's still not a guaranteed win since you still need to win the RPS battle, and it's likely you'll run into an opponent who is also in a good mood which means if they win the RNG battle you'll probably get destroyed by a high power attack too. Also very rarely, I've noticed that the fighter you bet on will occasionally have a different outfit with some tiger/leopard pattern and it seems impossible to lose if that's the case as you are very likely to win every RPS battle and the attack is practically guaranteed to be red/rainbow level.

Another tip that may or may not be useful as it's entirely based on personal experience, the AI sometimes falls into a pattern where they'll literally use only 1-2 types of attack. So if you can recognize that your opponent is doing only scissors or doing scissors/rock in a 2-1 pattern you might be able to take advantage of that. Of course, since we're working with small sample sizes here it could be all just RNG. Plus this isn't too reliable as opponents in later rounds are more likely to be those in a "good mood" so each loss at RPS is going to be painful and you'll probably lose before you recognize any pattern. Oh and, never skip a Rainbow attack because it's possible to win outright depending on the animation that plays and if you're good at button mashing. I've actually won once with the ground & pound animation through mashing despite the opponent having full health. Don't skip the self-heal if it triggers either (I can't recall if you can even skip it, but if you can, don't).

Anyway, finished this game a few days ago with just under 200 hours on my first playthrough, just have 2 trophies left for the platinum which is to finish on Legend and to break open a safe. Probably the most time consuming shit I did was experimenting with Pocket Racing builds on my own and getting a full straight in Mahjong. For beginner AI they sure love to randomly pull out monster hands just as I get close to forming a full straight. I really wish Legend was available from the start because this seems to be a better fit for me as I could see myself dying/healing a lot if I didn't already figure out the most effective attacks for each style.
Brawler's combo into grab or heat action is ridiculously OP. Especially when drunk. With Majima the standard bat heat action with Slugger will result in most enemies writhing on the ground long enough to get a SSST combo in with Breaker style to refill and repeat if they get up.

So, question. I''m pretty sure this is Chapter 10/Kiryu, might be 11 though.
Kiryu is escaping Tokyo and heading to Sotenbori. The game tells you that it may be awhile before you return, so you should make some money. How long is it really? Is this like, not coming back until just the end of the game? Or just not coming back for a chapter or two?

Chapter or two, but you do also
take control of Majima after a while.

Regardless, there'll be a period before the absolute end where you can
control both characters and go from city to city with no restrictions.

mike6467

Chapter or two, but you do also
take control of Majima after a while.

Regardless, there'll be a period before the absolute end where you can
control both characters and go from city to city with no restrictions.

Ok, thank you! That's what I was looking for. I wanted to make sure
I didn't need to grind out more real estate.

Definitely liked the hostess game over the real estate as far as businesses were concerned. I felt like I was always sitting around waiting with Kiryu, where as the hostess stuff felt active and that I had some control.

DC1

I started my legendary playthrough this morning.

Last night I got within one heat action of beating the last round. It hurt to much to press forward.

He can't escape Sagawa after all, so might as well let him tag along and maybe try to save Makoto when he gets to her.

Yeah, that's probably as good of an explanation as any.

I kind of hated to end Ch. 10, but I could've easily spent 20 more hours with the real estate (and other stuff) and didn't want to completely dissolve all the narrative tension.

Random thought: it's strange that karaoke, one of the best minigames in the game, has no friendship substory attached to it. Honestly I would've rather had a Karaoke King storyline than doing dance battles with that frustrating UI...

For climax battles I really recommend you guys to play the Kuze boss battle theme song in the background/on your headphones while you are doing the Ultimate Battles. It's so good.

Mediking

Yakuza 0 is amazing. This game excels at making you feel like whatever you're doing is important and interesting. It makes you feel special and dynamic and a force to be reckoned. The developers deserve a freaking award.

I unlocked Club Sunshine and it's hype. This hostess thing is awesome and I love talking to Yuki during Special Training.

That's another thing I love about Yakuza 0. It KNOWS its fanbase and isn't ashamed to cater to it.

holygeesus

Banned
The greatest personal accolade I can dish out to Yakuza 0 is it is the first game I have played all night through to sunrise, since Sensible World of Soccer.

I unlocked Club Sunshine and it's hype. This hostess thing is awesome and I love talking to Yuki during Special Training.

That's another thing I love about Yakuza 0. It KNOWS its fanbase and isn't ashamed to cater to it.

I don't really know anything about the main devs and the reasons they put in things like the hostess club or telephone club, but I get the impression that they just put in stuff they themselves find funny or sexy or a combination thereof. You couldn't make a game this fun and alive and also self-aware if it was just pandering to an audience. Not that I even know what audience this game would be pandering to. I mean someone in this thread said their fiancée was addicted to the hostess club.

There's certainly a lack of strong female characters in the game, and there's an amount of objectification going on, but that's probably sadly accurate in the yakuza underworld. Then again there's also a fair amount of sidestory female characters with their own agenda in the game who try to screw Kiryu/Majima over or get something from them, and don't really play the subservient stereotype. It's a mixed bag, but it doesn't feel intentionally creepy or over-sexualized like MGSV Quiet. The videos are the closest thing to pandering in the game, but they're so silly that it's hard to take them seriously. Maybe if someone has a balloon fetish.

The greatest personal accolade I can dish out to Yakuza 0 is it is the first game I have played all night through to sunrise, since Sensible World of Soccer.

Yeah, Y0 has been pretty detrimental to my sleep schedule. It's always throwing "just one more thing" at me.

Top Bottom