• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

GeeTeeCee

For folks wondering or impressed by the facial modeling. Here's a comparison of ingame and their actors. Everyone except Keiji Fujiwara were actually modeled, although you can tell they based Nishitani off of him regardless.

Without a doubt the best realistic facial modeling for asians in the industry. And it gets even better in 6.

Is that the detective from Yakuza 4 (not Tanimura, his superior) standing behind Kuze's actor?

this is going to sound so stupid but in cabaret/real estate rankings do the shapes go like this? double O > O > triangle > X
I notice sometimes my triangle guys do better than my O guys on ivestments but sometimes it's the other way around.
Quality goes like this:

Double Circle = VERY GOOD
Circle = GOOD
Triangle = Medium
X= Bad

For the real estate, their quality also matters. So it's preferable to invest in a 5-star triangle than a 2-star double circle.

For the cabaret club, it's fairly straightforward though.

For folks wondering or impressed by the facial modeling. Here's a comparison of ingame and their actors. Everyone except Keiji Fujiwara were actually modeled, although you can tell they based Nishitani off of him regardless.

Without a doubt the best realistic facial modeling for asians in the industry. And it gets even better in 6.

Yakuza 5 was when the tech really started stepping up, and it has only gotten better and better. Yakuza 6 in particular looks incredible.
Is that the detective from Yakuza 4 (not Tanimura, his superior) standing behind Kuze's actor?

wee-bey-gif.gif

Wow, with all the posts about the lieutenants, it didn't even come to mind that other members of the cast were modeled on actors as well. It's pretty good work.

DC1

Okay. I only have two trophies left for the Platinum.

1: Climax Battles
2: Legendary

I want/need to knock out the Climax battles before progressing. Currently stuck on 1-8.

Looking forward to trying to beat 1-8 this evening without being slightly inebriated.

Egg0

Banned
Question about the business/club side stuff. Is this something you can buckle down and do within a chapter, or does it progress through different chapters?

If so, does the game make it clear how much you can do within a chapter?

muteki

Question about the business/club side stuff. Is this something you can buckle down and do within a chapter, or does it progress through different chapters?

If so, does the game make it clear how much you can do within a chapter?

I can only speak for the real estate side but you hit a wall and can't progress past the fourth billionare until later chapters. The game made it clear close to the point of not being able to progress. Or if it did earlier, I missed it.

Egg0

Banned
I can only speak for the real estate side but you hit a wall and can't progress past the fourth billionare until later chapters. The game made it clear close to the point of not being able to progress. Or if it did earlier, I missed it.

Ok cool. I just started the cabaret stuff and felt like I did nothing with the real estate side other than collect money a couple times. Wasn't even sure I was allowed to buy other businesses yet, other than the tutorial business they make you buy.

muteki

Ok cool. I just started the cabaret stuff and felt like I did nothing with the real estate side other than collect money a couple times. Wasn't even sure I was allowed to buy other businesses yet, other than the tutorial business they make you buy.
I kept buying properties after the first few businesses and could freely buy/earn every property for the first 4 billionaires. Right now though I believe I am waiting on a challenge that uses a minigame that I haven't unlocked yet, so need to keep playing main story.

nOoblet16

I feel like they did subtle changes to Tachibana compared to his actor just so his original roots show a bit more...If you know what I mean.

But yes this is very good.

xezuru

That would be Sugiuchi, Kenichi Endo, who I recognized later on when I was watching Kakuranger and saw him appear as Junior/Gashadokuro aka the Japanese version of Rito Revolto:

DIRhfyG.jpg

Funny fact, Kenichi Endo also appears in the Ryu Ga Gotoku / Yakuza movie by Takashi Miike. The Celebs in Yakuza all seem like such a close circle in terms of jobs worked together.
PS Because of his appearance in Y4 was still in my mind I was kinda floored when he was in The Raid 2.

xezuru

How hard is the platinum trophy to get?
Is it more a matter of time (and luck), or is there some stuff where you need some serious skill?

So far the most annoying parts have been:
Finding 100% of weapon components (not actual weapons) for dragon and tiger
Some Ultimate Battles are really shitty
JCC Catfight tournaments is literally hourly commitment of pure rng garbage.
I don't know how to play these ancient chinese gambling games.

Ultimadrago

How hard is the platinum trophy to get?
Is it more a matter of time (and luck), or is there some stuff where you need some serious skill?

Just time and luck. The mahjong one is really where you need at least a basic understanding to complete it though. It was fun (and a bit tiring) to learn for me!

So far the most annoying parts have been:
Finding 100% of weapon components (not actual weapons) for dragon and tiger
Some Ultimate Battles are really shitty
JCC Catfight tournaments is literally hourly commitment of pure rng garbage.
I don't know how to play these ancient chinese gambling games.

Just time and luck. The mahjong one is really where you need at least a basic understanding to complete it though. It was fun (and a bit tiring) to learn for me!

Thank you guys.
Think i will be going for the platinum then :)

Yep. You can tell instantly who the casts are. I was surprised to see Kitano and then Oguri Shun on Yakuza 6.

xclk07

It's a nightmare!

I'm salty cause I couldn't get the Mahjong ones lol

I'm down to:
Baseball
Shoji (which I believe can be cheesed)
Billiards (which I believe can be cheesed)
.. and the dreaded Mahjong! Haven't even looked at it yet and I'm scared!

(And then of course the Climax Battles and Legend play through)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I wonder how long it will be before this game goes on sale. Too many great games right now to play let alone buy. This one is certainly high on my list after Nioh.

I'm down to:

Never has the "i don't know what what i'm doing" dog pic been more applicable than me playing Mahjong. I understood Shogi better. And that's Shogi. Hell, I would rather play catfighting than play Mahjong; at least there I understand why I'm losing.

p.s. every time I've seen computer Mahjong it's a big stack of tiles, is Yakuza using a different version?

I'm down to:
Baseball
Shoji (which I believe can be cheesed)
Billiards (which I believe can be cheesed)

(And then of course the Climax Battles and Legend play through)
Man, I wish I could've said the same. Baseball and Billiards are my jam so I would've done them very quickly. I also love the Climax Battles and playing on higher difficulties.

Mahjong though...

DC1

Man, I wish I could've said the same. Baseball and Billiards are my jam so I would've done them very quickly. I also love the Climax Battles and playing on higher difficulties.

Mahjong though...
Sparda... I can't let you do this. I can handle this Mahjong for you in spirit. Don't give up man!

xclk07

Mahjong though...

Is Mahjong the ONLY thing you have left? (I think you might've answered this already a few pages back... apologies if so).

Shall we start a Mahjong support group so all of us facing (or about to face) the nightmare can learn together? (Seriously I'd be down for this as I plan to play the other Yakuza games as well).

mike6467

I've been taking my time with the side stuff, and moved the story along a bit today. In chapter...either 8 or 9 (Kiryu)

OMG the massive fight followed by Kuze getting hit by the supercar driven by Tachibana? "Driving is not my forte"

I can't remember the last time I was legitimately excited and invested in a story like I am here.

This is almost undoubtedly going to be my GOTY, except what, 6 and Kuwami are coming out too? I got into 4 and enjoyed it loved 5 but burned out on it before I could finish it. I'm all in on this one now though, absolutely loving it. Excited to play the whole series now, since I missed the first 3 initially. I guess 2 is the one that's going to be a pain to find and have some seriously dated mechanics? I touched 3, but my PS3 died shortly after and I never tried it again after that, it didn't seem too horrible.

Also is Giantbomb just doing 0? I thought they said they were doing the whole series, but Jesus Christ if so, that would be several hundred hours. Persona 4 lasted them just over 100, right?

I can't remember the last time I was legitimately excited and invested in a story like I am here.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the story to be so engrossing. Thought it'd mostly fun and games, but Yakuza 0's story really got me invested, something that hasn't happened in probably years for me.

Seriously, if the quality of each entry is about on par with 0's, then this series needs more love.

mike6467

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the story to be so engrossing. Thought it'd mostly fun and games, but Yakuza 0's story really got me invested, something that hasn't happened in probably years for me.

Seriously, if the quality of each entry is about on par with 0's, then this series needs more love.

From what I played of 4 and 5 I really think they do. Presentation and craziness and writing all seemed on par with this 0. Part of the problem was that so much of the story was dependent on stuff that had happened in previous games. I don't think I was able to appreciate it. That's why I'm so freaking excited to keep it rolling after this one.

It really sucks this thing got labeled a poor man's GTA early on or I think it would've caught on a lot sooner.

Stories in the series are like this for me:
1 (Kiwami) is incredible; it's gritty and the cast of characters are great just like 0's. 2 is the best in the series next to 0, just really, really good throughout and features my favourite villain/antagonist in the series, although 0 has a great set of villains too. 3 starts out good then gets ridiculous, last act kinda goes to shit a bit but has some redeeming features. 4 is really enjoyable throughout, had no qualms with it, except the villains aren't as memorable as previous ones. Not beaten 5 yet so can't really say yet.

Not that the bar is that far, but 0 is probably the best in the series next to 2. Kiwami will be a nice follow up for folks too that are new to the series.

Tizoc

Having just beaten the game (52ish hours, 40% total completion) and gotta ask the
final scene is that supposed to be a shout out to one of the later games?

xezuru

Having just beaten the game (52ish hours, 40% total completion) and gotta ask the
final scene is that supposed to be a shout out to one of the later games?

That's how I took it, there's no reason for him to refer to him in that way before Majima has his status in future games where reputations are high enough for both of them to have families and actually have reputations at all. So I just take it as like a just random moment at around Y1 years.

Aki-at

Yes, I think Kiryu is my favorite fictional character ever. I just wish
he got with Mayumi. I was told she doesn't appear after Kiryu's first part in Yakuza 5, and she doesn't appear in Yakuza 6...
So I'm really bummed about that too. I kinda wish Kiryu was the Javier Pena type who was just a ladies man and gets em all, just coz they fall for him.

Kiryu's
loveless love life is probably the one reoccuring story gimmick in every Yakuza game. If Mayumi annoyed you in Yakuza 5 get rid for more!

I'd rather have a Sega made Fighter's Megamix 2 with Kiryu, Joe Musashi, Akira, Ryo and Bahn to be honest :p

Sparda... I can't let you do this. I can handle this Mahjong for you in spirit. Don't give up man!
I've tried so much. It seems like it's not meant to be.
Is Mahjong the ONLY thing you have left? (I think you might've answered this already a few pages back... apologies if so).

Shall we start a Mahjong support group so all of us facing (or about to face) the nightmare can learn together? (Seriously I'd be down for this as I plan to play the other Yakuza games as well).
No, I still have a few left. But outside of Mahjong and Catfighting the rest of them are stuff that I should be fine or even good at.

About how long is this? I'm trying to coordinate what I play in-between now and Zelda next week.
It's about 30-35 hours if you focus on the main story. However, this game has a ridiculous amount of side content so you could easily spend 60+ hours. It took me roughly 75 hours to beat the game at 76% completion. I did all the substories (side quests) but avoided the minigames for the most part unless it was part of a substory.

About how long is this? I'm trying to coordinate what I play in-between now and Zelda next week.

Took me about 65 hours to beat the game, complete about 60% of both the real estate and cabaret club businesses, and complete about the same percentage of sidestories in the game (total completion was 48%). I think the best way to approach the game is to do as much as you want to while you're still in the campaign, but move on when you're starting to feel itchy about continuing the story. That gives you a certain amount of flexibility in terms of how much time you want to spend, but still allows you to do a bunch of the fun sidestories and minigames. If you decide at the end of the game that you want to do more of the side stuff, you can pick up where you left off in Premium Adventure (basically, it's the mode where you keep playing with your save file after the story is finished). I'm doing that now to try and clean up the real estate and cabaret businesses.

Kiryu's
loveless love life is probably the one reoccuring story gimmick in every Yakuza game. If Mayumi annoyed you in Yakuza 5 get rid for more!
it just annoyed me that
Kiryu never fucked her eventually. I've never seen a (fictional) woman so in love with a man before and for him to just do nothing about it...smh.
I'd rather have a Sega made Fighter's Megamix 2 with Kiryu, Joe Musashi, Akira, Ryo and Bahn to be honest :p
I'm just dying for a proper playstation-smash game and for all intents and purposes, like I said in that thread, Kiryu is definitely a PlayStation mascot. The game needs to be made and Kiryu needs to be there

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I totally forgot about Mayumi in Yakuza 5. But they never actually show them doing anything. In fact, she gets naked in front of him and he's like nah. On the other hand, Rikiya :wink

Finished the game. Left a few things behind, but it felt time to end it.

I never thought a Yakuza game would end with
my heart breaking for Goro Majima.

I would be shocked if this game is not on my GOTY list.

The voice acting is amazing in this game. That and the writing. The studio pulled an ace with this one. Can't wait for kiwami and 6!

Although I have yakuza 1 and 2 for the ps2 I never finished them. I'm loving getting back into the franchise.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Well, I've completed both business storylines and unlocked the legendary styles

Off to do the endgame, then come back for premium adventure

This is my favorite Yakuza game, and also my favorite game so far this year (beating out the also-excellent RE7 and GR2).

What a blast

Megasoum

Banned
I'd love to use the guitar riff that hear when you start/end a sidequest as my text tone on my phone. Anybody know if some of those Yakuza sounds are available anywhere?

Top Bottom