• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Jimrpg

Whoops, looking at the prices I think might be better to get it off play Asia or Amazon. If your brother is lucky he can find in a target store for $59.

$59! is that a current promotion?

thats gonna be tricky to find it in a Target store...but ill ask him to try :)

Thanks for the suggestion... i was under the impression it was sold out everywhere for some reason and didn't even think of getting it from Australia.

I can't wait until they feel confident enough to fight a Mr. Shakedown.

Is there something I don't know about fighting this dude?

I did it early on with Majima on hard (like at the beginning of the chapter) and the fight was essentially me punishing the dude's tackle thing for like several minutes.

It was awful lol

Also, been trying to do the bosses more without using health items and whatever, but that cult mission threw me for a loop since the arena was awful and I was clipping on everything >_>

The key to fighting Mr. Shakedown is to learn his cues. If he's charging with open arms, get away. If he's charging normally, dodge but stay close. If he's doing a regular attack, just stay out of reach. After he attacks, hit him as many times as you feel comfortable and then repeat. I like to fight him in areas with tons of bikes because the heat action for that is devastating and easy to trigger. This is essentially how I get most of my money as Majima where you can get 1-2B a pop right by the Club Sega.

OniBaka

$59! is that a current promotion?

thats gonna be tricky to find it in a Target store...but ill ask him to try :)

Thanks for the suggestion... i was under the impression it was sold out everywhere for some reason and didn't even think of getting it from Australia.
It pretty much is sold out here in Australia too unless you order online.

I got mine from ozgameshop though

DKL

After he attacks, hit him as many times as you feel comfortable and then repeat.

That's essentially what I did until he died, but there has to be a faster way lol

So I guess Heat Actions via objects.

On the topic of dying, some of the Heat actions in this game are funny because you essentially kill the guy.

I see no other outcome when you do the knife one with Majima where he Jeane Claude Van Damme's it into a guy's ribs.

Shin-Ra

For some reason the Zap Gun combined with Amon Sunglasses is crazy powerful. Defeats the Coliseum 'Fiend Frolic' (4/5*) opponents in 2-3 shots.

They're having a lot of fun with it so it's been fun to watch. They also grasped the mechanics fairly quickly (faster than I grasped the series in its PS2 heyday) but they overthink HEAT actions and weapons and HEAT actions while using weapons quite a bit. They're learning more about the system from GB site comments so hopefully down the stretch everything will click.

I feel like they think it's a combination of Sleeping Dogs and Shenmue, when it's really more River City Ransom meets JRPG.

There's not a unique heat animation for every possible situation, and don't seem to grasp that using heat all the time isn't necessarily great.

I agree that the enthusiasm for the game has made it fun, and when they discover something it is always a giant sigh of relief. Like this week with the first sidestory and how they walked up to the wrong people on the street and almost just kept going.

There are these little things that frustrate me though. The heat moves like you said, not realizing initially how health or the pager worked when it was right there in front of them, and not really understanding the abilities trees/how the trainers have cool moves locked away from them right there on the grid. Hopefully they will get there though!

Jimrpg

It pretty much is sold out here in Australia too unless you order online.

I got mine from ozgameshop though

I had a quick look online and there's 'limited stock' at target at some stores and no stock at others... so my fingers are crossed tightly my brother can get one. If not JB then hopefully but its $20 more and that's a decent saving!

Lucky you getting it from ozgameshop... SIGH!

That's essentially what I did until he died, but there has to be a faster way lol

So I guess Heat Actions via objects.

On the topic of dying, some of the Heat actions in this game are funny because you essentially kill the guy.

I see no other outcome when you do the knife one with Majima where he Jeane Claude Van Damme's it into a guy's ribs.

I straight up "cheated." Like yeah I've fought Mr. Shakedown "traditionally" but when when Dragon & Tiger opened up for Kiryu I just bought a bunch of zap guns (which you can restock ammo) and unloaded on him. Then I'd just pour the profits to real estate or send to Majima via Mr. Moneybags.

I straight up "cheated." Like yeah I've fought Mr. Shakedown "traditionally" but when when Dragon & Tiger opened up for Kiryu I just bought a bunch of zap guns (which you can restock ammo) and unloaded on him. Then I'd just pour the profits to real estate or send to Majima via Mr. Moneybags.
I should probably try this Zap gun thing on Mr. Shakedown as well. I have no problem beating him normally, but it's time consuming.

holygeesus

Banned
Just got the real estate minigame... Jesus... That's a lot to take in...

I actually find the hostess mini game far more intimidating. Like most men, I suck at multi-tasking, and you need to keep watching all corners of the screen. My slightly shrivelled, old-ass brain, can't cope to be honest.

I actually find the hostess mini game far more intimidating. Like most men, I suck at multi-tasking, and you need to keep watching all corners of the screen. My slightly shrivelled, old-ass brain, can't cope to be honest.

Time pauses when you're selecting your hostess for your customer, so take your time.

I'm with you. It's essentially a mobile game except you have to keep your eyes darting across an entire television instead of a tiny device.

That said, the cabaret club gets pretty manageable once you realize that hitting X on any table pauses it, and you just need to make the face on the table a smile.

holygeesus

Banned
Time pauses when you're selecting your hostess for your customer, so take your time.

I'm with you. It's essentially a mobile game except you have to keep your eyes darting across an entire television instead of a tiny device.

That said, the cabaret club gets pretty manageable once you realize that hitting X on any table pauses it, and you just need to make the face on the table a smile.

Arghh I didn't realise that. Thanks!

convo

Is there a maximum amount of fans you can have at the areas, at the cabaret club?

I don't think so? It certainly doesn't matter at some point. It seemed like more rich people visited the more fans one had in an area,i actually had a hard time leveling bronze girls since the rich folk were never satisfied with them.

jbug617

Banned
Just started playing this past weekend. Just finished Chapter 4. This game is awesome. I think I prefer Majima's story as of right now.

Finished the main story and it was great. Fantastic story writing that you don't get usually in videogames

The only thing I disliked that
you have to beat up the same guy 4 times
. Plus
why didn't Majima reveal who he is to the previously blind girl ?

I have no idea how to use estate or cabaret clubs to earn some money though.

Finished the main story and it was great. Fantastic story writing that you don't get usually in videogames

. Plus

5 times. Also Kuze was great and totally cool.

With Majima, he didnt want to reveal who he is to Makoto because his way of life (as a yakuza) conflicts greatly with her way of life (as a civilian). He didnt want to endanger her by associating her with the yakuza and he himself is not suited to the civilian life. All he wants in the end is for Makoto to be happy the way she is. And that's what makes everything all the more tragic.

Also Makoto doesn't appear in future games so having her suddenly be Majima's girlfriend/wife who's never alluded to previously in the series really messes up the continuity.

Vorheez

. Plus

Yeah, I thought it was silly to fight
Kuze
4 or 5 times too, as if the first few beatdowns weren't conclusive enough... I did think it was cool how he came to respect you a little more each time though

Wunder

Just finished the final chapter, I got some spoilery questions for anyone that can answer em. This is my first Yakuza so if you could keep it contained to 0 that'd be great.

Maybe I lost the plot somewhere in the middle but what was the empty lot's actual use? I thought they needed it because it was a unique spot for smuggling in contraband or something but near the end Dojima states that it doesn't matter if they owned it or not. Even if someone staked a claim, couldn't they just develop around it anyway?

How do these games 'reset' the abilities or wealth level of protagonists? From the jump to 0 to 1/Kiwami, do they explain how he presumably starts from zero? Especially since I read in this thread that this is the first game with differing styles?

Finally, and this is more of a nitpick on the plot, but the threat of a gunshot wound seems overused and dramatized to the point where it kind of lost impact for me whenever someone got shot, because two or three of the victims who got multiple wounds end up pretty much fine in the next scene. What should be a shocking or dramatic moment loses a lot of its lustre once that same victim is just bandaged up and fine the next day.

Overall an amazing experience and a fantastic introduction to the series, I can't wait to get my hands on Kiwami!

convo

. Plus

Now Majima
wanted back in to the yakuza because that is where he belongs and he would never ever have wanted her to get close to that nasty shit ever again. She'll never find him and that's what he wants.Besides she got the repaired clock back from him and that's real nice. He got more reasons to stay yakuza which is his bro that gets touched in this game but get explained fully in later games.

Wheatly

Finished chapter 14...

D:

image.php

Just finished the final chapter, I got some spoilery questions for anyone that can answer em. This is my first Yakuza so if you could keep it contained to 0 that'd be great.

Maybe I lost the plot somewhere in the middle but what was the empty lot's actual use? I thought they needed it because it was a unique spot for smuggling in contraband or something but near the end Dojima states that it doesn't matter if they owned it or not. Even if someone staked a claim, couldn't they just develop around it anyway?

How do these games 'reset' the abilities or wealth level of protagonists? From the jump to 0 to 1/Kiwami, do they explain how he presumably starts from zero? Especially since I read in this thread that this is the first game with differing styles?

Finally, and this is more of a nitpick on the plot, but the threat of a gunshot wound seems overused and dramatized to the point where it kind of lost impact for me whenever someone got shot, because two or three of the victims who got multiple wounds end up pretty much fine in the next scene. What should be a shocking or dramatic moment loses a lot of its lustre once that same victim is just bandaged up and fine the next day.

Overall an amazing experience and a fantastic introduction to the series, I can't wait to get my hands on Kiwami!

The Empty Lot is part of the Kamurocho Revitalization Project, in which they build a huge building in the location of the Kamurocho Shopping Street known in future games as the Millenium Tower. Dojima said it doesn't matter who owned it because the people in charge of the project are not aware of its existence and it will only be troublesome once the owner stakes a claim to court.

Wunder

The Empty Lot is part of the Kamurocho Revitalization Project, in which they build a huge building in the location of the Kamurocho Shopping Street known in future games as the Millenium Tower. Dojima said it doesn't matter who owned it because the people in charge of the project are not aware of its existence and it will only be troublesome once the owner stakes a claim to court.

Ah that makes more sense that it's a huge development. I thought the project was a general redevelopment contract for multiple buildings.

It has the highest number of tracks I love.

And then there is my favourite track in the whole franchise.

I like the other soundtracks more because of the variation, but as far as all my favourites... Yakuza 3 has the highest number!

Damn I want to fight
Joji all over again after listening to that song.

I think 3 was the last game that Hidenori Shoji was largely credited for. I think 4/5 were split between multiple people. Dead Souls was a totally different guy and suffered for it, and I think that guy was largely involved in 5 as well which made it sorta...less good. Glad Yakuza 0 has the music down though.

I largely came in here to say that Substory 94 is the most unfun fight ever. Terrible terrible shit. This is before climax battles though so I guess my opinion is subject to change lol.

Yeah this game does damage scaling for repeated heat-moves, a important thing to know to just not waste time and heat.

I had no idea the heat moves scaled; good to know, thanks.

Not really, the Yuki in Gandhara and the Telephone cards are based off of the Yuki in Maharaja. The Sunshine Yuki is the only hostess who's not based off an AV actress. In fact, she's the only one voiced by a professional seiyuu, which is why her voice is miles better than the other hostesses in the game.

Yuki also has really impressive facial animation. Her lip movements and expressions are really convincing.

Man the Nioh community sucks compared to this community. Not helpful at all. Makes me miss this game that much more lol

That's because they spend all their time in the dominatrix club.

Rymuth

Yuki also has really impressive facial animation. Her lip movements and expressions are really convincing.

That's because they spend all their time in the dominatrix club.
Word. When she pouts, it's the cutest thing ever.

I think 3 was the last game that Hidenori Shoji was largely credited for. I think 4/5 were split between multiple people. Dead Souls was a totally different guy and suffered for it, and I think that guy was largely involved in 5 as well which made it sorta...less good. Glad Yakuza 0 has the music down though.

I largely came in here to say that Substory 94 is the most unfun fight ever. Terrible terrible shit. This is before climax battles though so I guess my opinion is subject to change lol.

I actually found 94 more fun than the Coliseum stuff. Quickly switching between Rush and Beast makes mincemeat outta him.

Ah that makes more sense that it's a huge development. I thought the project was a general redevelopment contract for multiple buildings.

I haven't played Yakuza 1 and 2 since I never owned a PS2 but I'm pretty sure that spot is central to the plot of Yakuza 1.

convo

Very noticable on bosses especially, the same heat move won't do shit at all the third or forth time around. It's there so that you vary it up a little with different heat moves and to use the actual combat styles more to do most of the damage.

Vorheez

I'm playing Yakuza again lol

Within the context of 0 (because I don't know anything else beyond that) who would win in a fight: Majima or Kiryu? That is probably hard to answer for the vets of the series lol.
The ending scene where they run into eachother on the street had me thinking about it.

I pick Majima. I think him being lowkey nuts gives him an edge. I do think Kiryu is stronger though.

Within the context of 0 (because I don't know anything else beyond that) who would win in a fight: Majima or Kiryu? That is probably hard to answer for the vets of the series lol

I pick Majima. I think him being lowkey nuts gives him an edge. I do think Kiryu is stronger though.

Goro's breakdancin' fight style fits me more

Within the context of 0 (because I don't know anything else beyond that) who would win in a fight: Majima or Kiryu? That is probably hard/impossible to answer for the vets of the series lol.
The ending scene where they run into eachother on the street had me thinking about it.

Kiryu's Rush mode wins every fight you can throw at him.

daviyoung

Banned
Is there any logic to the break dancing style? Feel like I'm just pressing buttons and going crazy

combo lengths for Majima's breakdance and bat styles are based on how many times you press square followed by how many times you press triangle

I general spam the handstand windmill leg sweeper thing for crowd control

Rymuth

Within the context of 0 (because I don't know anything else beyond that) who would win in a fight: Majima or Kiryu? That is probably hard to answer for the vets of the series lol.

In Y3, Kiryu outright describes Majima as
the one guy he has most trouble with

It's pretty much the battle between the unstoppable force (Kiryu) and the immovable object (Majima)

Vorheez

In Y3, Kiryu outright describes Majima as
the one guy he has most trouble with

It's pretty much the battle between the unstoppable force (Kiryu) and the immovable object (Majima)
Wow. I like how you put that! I hope I can play 3 some day...

Gaf, I finally did it! I got all the trophies except for the legendary difficulty which I'm gonna stream this weekend!

Mahjong such a time sink figuring out what the hell was going on! Maybe 20 hours just trying to get all their CP points! But hell, atleast i'll never forget how to play Mahjong for the rest of my life.

C'min Platinum baaaaby

hichanbis

Banned
Spent 4 hours doing the pocket circuit races related quests and did not finish.
The side content size in this game is really incredible.

You fight Majima as someone or another in pretty much every game.

I was rewatching his Yakuza 4 fight today and I loved seeing a bunch of moves he has in 0 during that fight. Like, even small things, like the quickstep pursuit he learns from Komaki.

IrishNinja

okay, i'm clearly at the endgame point-of-no-return bit. is there anything i positively should do now before finishing up my hard playthrough? kazzy & majjy both have a few substories to do but i was figuring i'd mop up that & trophies/amon/whatever else in the post-game.

also, do you unlock the rest of majima's mad dog style as a plot point, or did i miss it somewhere?

I was rewatching his Yakuza 4 fight today and I loved seeing a bunch of moves he has in 0 during that fight. Like, even small things, like the quickstep pursuit he learns from Komaki.

oh yeah, i'm looking forward to replaying some of them & seeing bits like this, that's awesome

IrishNinja

Do you mean aside from
finishing the Cabaret Club quest?

okay yeah, i did that & the real estate all the way, i think only thing i was missing was to finish up some of the special training with a few girls, also missing the CP for finding 2 more gold ones somewhere

Both the "Hidden" Styles are fully unlocked through the CP shrine.

ahhhh okay that's what that one's about, damn. used all my points on the golden shotgun so it's gonna be a bit!

Not really, the Yuki in Gandhara and the Telephone cards are based off of the Yuki in Maharaja. The Sunshine Yuki is the only hostess who's not based off an AV actress. In fact, she's the only one voiced by a professional seiyuu, which is why her voice is miles better than the other hostesses in the game.

Yeah, what is up with Ai Uehara. Not that I expected stellar voice acting from her, but when she's speaking in her actual movies, she never sounds as robotic as she does here. That fake laugh alone..."Eh - he - he".

Edit: Actually, she might have done that robotic laugh in one or two of her movies too, now that I think about it. Still nowhere near as bad.

Top Bottom