• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Speaking of real estate....

I've did almost all side stories up to chapter 10 or so, but I only have 8/10 advisors. I am currently battling the Media King for a percentage of the district so are the 2 missing advisors still to be accessed or have I missed someone?
You're missing one I think since the Media King is also an advisor.

Probably from a substory that you haven't completed yet.

Tizoc

Can we all agree that the Doll Girl side mission is one of the most heartwarming of Majima's side missions?

SephLuis

Finished the story at 70 hours.

I loved everything about this game. How does it stack up in comparison to the rest of the series?

It's been a LONG time since I felt sad that a game was over.

Yakuza 0 is one of the best and more balanced games in the series. Every game is great, but each have their own highs and lows.

For example, the original Y1 and Y2 have great stories, but their combat is outdated and the games are missing QoL improvements that came on more recent entries.

Y3 in considered the weakest of the mainline games, but even then it's a good game. Just worse than the rest of the series.

Y4 and Y5 have multiple protagonists and insane amounts of content, even more than Yakuza 0, especially 5. However, the pacing of the story suffers a lot.

I would recommend you playing them eventually because going through Yakuza games usually leads to burnout.

All my real estate royale money is going straight back into real estate royale. Yet to crack 2 billion with Kiryu meanwhile Majima is on 10 with mostly completed skill trees.

Would have been nice if there was a payday after beating one of the 5 billionaires

All my real estate royale money is going straight back into real estate royale. Yet to crack 2 billion with Kiryu meanwhile Majima is on 10 with mostly completed skill trees.

Would have been nice if there was a payday after beating one of the 5 billionaires

Be sure to get all the Shrine CP upgrades relating to business and buy all the properties. Aside from that, hope you like seeing bars fill up!

Also Kiryu's money fan is priceless and way better than a meagre 3 billion salary.

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/moneyisland.html

Electronics King I didn't beat in Outrun, but I think that game was rigged.

If I recall it's actually rigged in your favor. More time on the clock than when you normally play it at the arcade. I finished it easily when I normally have trouble clearing the third stage.

Giever

If I recall it's actually rigged in your favor. More time on the clock than when you normally play it at the arcade. I finished it easily when I normally have trouble clearing the third stage.

Oh? I guess that's why they don't allow for the score to carry over to your CP. I wonder why not just set the score to beat lower, though, and keep the game/time the same, so that it can still qualify.

bleaker

Due to my backlog getting increasingly big, I decided to go ahead and finish the game yesterday. Now I'm sad, because there is no more Yakuza for me to play until Summer D;

I honestly think this game's story is on par with the original trilogy (I understand the love for Yakuza 4, and of course I love it too, just for different reasons). It might actually have the best ending in the series. It is so bittersweet, everyone wins a little, everyone loses a little.

Time for the ranking:
Yakuza 2
Yakuza 1
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 5
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4

Absolutely. It's one of the most heartwarming side missions in any game.
It was stories like that that drive home that Majima is just as honorable as Kiryu and that fact doesn't necessarily change even as time goes on.

It's just that Majima's ambitions for being a Yakuza are much more
selfless than Kiryu's (who admittedly, doesn't stay a Yakuza for THAT long)

Due to my backlog getting increasingly big, I decided to go ahead and finish the game yesterday. Now I'm sad, because there is no more Yakuza for me to play until Summer D;

I honestly think this game's story is on par with the original trilogy (I understand the love for Yakuza 4, and of course I love it too, just for different reasons). It might actually have the best ending in the series. It is so bittersweet, everyone wins a little, everyone loses a little.

Time for the ranking:
Yakuza 2
Yakuza 1
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 5
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
I can respect that. I guess we're doing lists again. The thread mostly went by with the charistmatic autobiography, those assholes with the guns, and the lists :D

Mine is:

Yakuza 2
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 1
Yakuza 5

It was stories like that that drive home that Majima is just as honorable as Kiryu and that fact doesn't necessarily change even as time goes on.

I can respect that. I guess we're doing lists again. The thread mostly went by with the charistmatic autobiography, those assholes with the guns, and the lists :D

Mine is:

Yakuza 2
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 1
Yakuza 5

All this praise for Y2 makes me happy I got that reprint on Amazon a few weeks ago. Gonna play it after I play Kiwami this Summer.

it looks like yakuza 6 gives a recap of all the previous games, why doesn't include a recap of yakuza 0?

Because the events of Yakuza 0 serve as a good set up for the events of
Yakuza 1 for Kiryu and Majima, and Yakuza 4 for Majima and Saejima's arc.

It's not relevant in the long run to the events of Yakuza 6.

All this praise for Y2 makes me happy I got that reprint on Amazon a few weeks ago. Gonna play it after I play Kiwami this Summer.
Just remember to be a bit forgiving of the fact that it's a PS2 game. I emulated it on my PC at a high resolution and used turbo mode sometimes to get to one side of the city to another or to get through some loading screens so my experience was a lot better but if you're playing it on a PS2 then you NEED to be patient as you'll encounter a lot of loading screens.

muteki

Huh, bonkers. That would explain why I got as far as I did, but maybe they adjusted the score to compensate or something.

Aki-at

It has the strongest story and antagonist in the series for me.

If they ever remade it I know it'd be my favourite in the series.

Just imagining the boss fight intros from Yakuza 2 with the graphics and particle effects from Y6.

Homer-drool.jpeg
speaking of yakuza 2 i'm going to be on it this week. grabbed a copy: now i got all the US releases including....
Dead Souls =P
AEjrBn2h.jpg

speaking of yakuza 2 i'm going to be on it this week. grabbed a copy: now i got all the US releases including....
Dead Souls =P

I'm looking forward to playing Yakuza 2 after I finish Kiwami.

Dead Souls is great by the way, especially how they explain away what happened to Majima.

AngryMoth

Can I still do side content after beating the main story? On the final chapter and just wanna plow through to the end cos it's so captivating

Makeda

Can I still do side content after beating the main story? On the final chapter and just wanna plow through to the end cos it's so captivating

Yep you can, after completing the game you'll unlock a mode called 'Premium Adventure' which will let you go through all the side content without the story.

Because the events of Yakuza 0 serve as a good set up for the events of
Yakuza 1 for Kiryu and Majima, and Yakuza 4 for Majima and Saejima's arc.

It's not relevant in the long run to the events of Yakuza 6.
well considering how all these games are standalone stories, none of the games in the long run are relevant to Yakuza 6 with the exception to the ending of Yakuza 5, yeah?

There is a Premium Adventure mode that unlocks after you finish the game. It uses the clear save you make at the end of the game, and puts you back in Kamurocho with your current completion level/open quests/etc. and the ability to change time of day, protagonist and city. You can do all the available side content through this mode.

There is a Premium Adventure mode that unlocks after you finish the game. It uses the clear save you make at the end of the game, and puts you back in Kamurocho with your current completion level/open quests/etc. and the ability to change time of day, protagonist and city. You can do all the available side content through this mode.

That's great to hear.

ChanMan

I actually liked Yakuza 3 despite it being the least favorite for some. I can understand the
orphanage
thing getting boring/cheesy but it was really cool to see a different side of Kiryu.

Heartfyre

I spent all of yesterday evening managing the cabaret and I'm spending all this evening doing the same.

I don't understand why I'm finding it so compelling.

SkylineRKR

Thing with Real Estate is, it takes ages. Unless you farm shakedown perhaps. But then there is no need to do it for the cash. Every media king property costs like a billion. I need to wait, grab money and wait again. I did all style trainers and a handful of quests inbetween.

With cabaret I had fun, got a billion after each boss and 10 billion at the end.

The only rival minigame I didn't beat was the telephone club, lol.

Also finally managed to complete Rush style, it was easy as fuck in fact.

First 2 just run away. For the third, hold R1, walk back to the edge and hold block for a minute. For the fourth, keep max distance and wait till he is within striking range, evade 2 or 3 times. He mostly does a thrust thats easy but sometimes a 2 hit combo. He's rather slow and has a huge tell. The fifth I lost but doesn't matter it seems.

What warmed my heart is
is how good her mum is at hostessing, she's 2nd only to the platinum hostesses.

She was my worst, somehow. The best in my run were
the Platinum girls, the first 3 which were highest level at the end, the Obetarian and Erranda

I see that we ranking the series again.

Yakuza 0 > Yakuza 4 > Yakuza 1 > Yakuza 3 > Yakuza 5

Yep.

And the thing that made that sub story even more emotional is our knowledge from Yakuza 5 that [Yakuza 5 spoilers]
he actually wanted to have a child and was furious when he realized that his wife had aborted the child without even telling him that she was pregnant. I think that was the reason that they even got separated.

muteki

Thing with Real Estate is, it takes ages. Unless you farm shakedown perhaps. But then there is no need to do it for the cash. Every media king property costs like a billion. I need to wait, grab money and wait again. I did all style trainers and a handful of quests inbetween.

With cabaret I had fun, got a billion after each boss and 10 billion at the end.

The only rival minigame I didn't beat was the telephone club, lol.

Also finally managed to complete Rush style, it was easy as fuck in fact.

First 2 just run away. For the third, hold R1, walk back to the edge and hold block for a minute. For the fourth, keep max distance and wait till he is within striking range, evade 2 or 3 times. He mostly does a thrust thats easy but sometimes a 2 hit combo. He's rather slow and has a huge tell. The fifth I lost but doesn't matter it seems.
My experience in general with real estate, if I invested my earnings into the best possible advisors I had at the time I generally had enough profit to buy 1 new property each cycle/payout in the next area, working in order (leisure, electronics, pleasure, gambling, media). The timing also worked out that if I did 1 side quest/activity, by the time I finished my payout would be ready.

So I just did this in a loop:
collect
invest
buy 1 new property
sidequest
repeat

and I probably spent 5~6 hours doing it all, but I also have half or more sidequests completed, maxxed out health, all brawler abilities, etc. so I don't feel the time was wasted, or I was sitting around waiting. Helps though if you buy the most profitable property first (since they are only marginally more expensive) then work your way back down to keep up with the price increases.

I spent all of yesterday evening managing the cabaret and I'm spending all this evening doing the same.

I don't understand why I'm finding it so compelling.

I think it's just a well-crafted little game, with stats management, recruitment, and strategy sim aspects, wrapped up in a fun little underdog story, along with some lite RPG elements. I also love the little details such the cutscene you get when you help out a Platinum hostess. And there's something about having to interpret the physical hand signs of the hostesses that's really cool, it helps feel more organic and personal, instead of some on-screen text prompt saying "Shizuku needs a towel". (are people in Japan familiar with these hand signs?)

I actually liked Yakuza 3 despite it being the least favorite for some. I can understand the
orphanage
thing getting boring/cheesy but it was really cool to see a different side of Kiryu.

Honestly, the part in your spoiler is one of my favourite things about Yakuza 3. Like, solving
the little kids' problems
is weirdly satisfying and really cements my image of Kiryu as
everyone's well-meaning yakuza dad

Yeah, it's weird that Real Estate brings in so much more money than the cabaret club on a minute-by-minute basis, but the bonuses from beating each club are so high and the required money investment so low that I ended up with way more money on the Majima side than the Kiryu side. I made tons of bank on real estate but 95% of it went back into buying more real estate.

I think it's just a well-crafted little game, with stats management, recruitment, and strategy sim aspects, wrapped up in a fun little underdog story, along with some lite RPG elements. I also love the little details such the cutscene you get when you help out a Platinum hostess. And there's something about having to interpret the physical hand signs of the hostesses that's really cool, it helps feel more organic and personal, instead of some on-screen text prompt saying "Shizuku needs a towel". (are people in Japan familiar with these hand signs?)

One of the things I love about the series is how many side activities could basically be their own game with a relatively robust story of their own. I could see playing standalone cabaret club and pocket circuit racer games, there's that much stuff going on. Same with Kiryu's taxi missions in 5 and (almost but not quite) Saejima's dojo training in 4.

I'm looking forward to playing Yakuza 2 after I finish Kiwami.

Dead Souls is great by the way, especially how they explain away what happened to Majima.
hey Laevateinn, great to see a fellow retroGAFer rockin Y0. i feel bad bc i haven't done much in the Genesis club though i brought comix zone =/

Mikhal

Got super lucky at my third attempt at the cat fights. Bet 10,000,000 yen on Maria and she won the whole thing and I got 3CP out of it with the 44x multiplier for winning.

AngryMoth

Finished the main story. This was my 2nd Yakuza game, after 4 which I liked. This game I loved. The balance between the legitimately great main story and hilarious side quests is perfect.

Only have 2 real complaints. Firstly I wish you got unlocks faster because they make the combat significantly more fun, and I didn't wanna invest all that time in the real estate/cabaret games.

2nd is Kiryu. He's just so bland and lacking in personality and the game really puts a spotlight on that by setting him against Majima who is much more fun and they actually give some great depth in this game.

Still though I had an absolute blast and am thoroughly looking forward to Kiwami now. A+ goty contender.

orphanage

It's not that stuff that most people dislike (although some people definitely do). I quite liked everything related to
the orphanage and the kids
. I think the problems 3's story has are elsewhere.
The stuff with Kazama's brother largely just feels pointless to me, and the villains for the game are pretty unmemorable as a whole.

well considering how all these games are standalone stories, none of the games in the long run are relevant to Yakuza 6 with the exception to the ending of Yakuza 5, yeah?
You're not wrong. I guess it's mainly there to catch newcomers up more than anything, it's only really the events of Yakuza 5 that matter.

It's not that stuff that most people dislike (although some people definitely do). I quite liked everything related to
the orphanage and the kids
. I think the problems 3's story has are elsewhere.
The stuff with Kazama's brother largely just feels pointless to me, and the villains for the game are pretty unmemorable as a whole.
It's been discussed previously in this thread and I agree that in regards to story, the lows of that game are real low but the highs are REALLY freaking high.

Top Bottom