• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I'd like to know this as well but remember that each item you can grab in battle has an associated heat move as well

You can take your characters to certain 'masters' and pay money to unlock different attributes but you can also use CP to unlock new moves and junk at various locations.

I'd assume that has something to do with it.

AHindD

The hardest difficulty unlocks after you beat the game, correct? Is it after beating the game on hard, or after beating it on any difficulty?

I believe EX Hard only unlocks after beating it on Hard... Or at least that's how the previous games worked.
Still worth playing on Normal I say, the previous games had a trophy to finish on Normal without dropping to Easy, plus its probably a more enjoyable way to experience the story.

Any difficulty.

Hmm, not too sure then

Saphirax

I believe EX Hard only unlocks after beating it on Hard... Or at least that's how the previous games worked.
Still worth playing on Normal I say, the previous games had a trophy to finish on Normal without dropping to Easy, plus its probably a more enjoyable way to experience the story.

Hmm, not too sure then

Y0 isn't like the previous games. You can beat the game on easy and still unlock the Legendary difficulty.

Rymuth

So is the portrayal of the Yakuza pretty accurate in this game? I have zero knowledge about it.
Organizational structure, rank, titles and slicing off the pinkie is accurate.

Fighting prowess maaaaaay be a bit embellished.

Here's an excerpt from actual Yakuza interviewed about the series
M: The corporate yakuza guys get a thumbs up for realism. Nice suit. Smart. Financially savvy. Obsessed with money. Sneaky and conniving. Ruthless.
S: There are a lot of guys whom I feel like I know. The dialogue is right too. They sound like yakuza.
K: Braggarts, bullies, and sweet-talkers. I agree — it feels like I know the guys on the screen.
M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

So is the portrayal of the Yakuza pretty accurate in this game? I have zero knowledge about it.

Yes to some parts - definitely not in other parts.

It's close enough to be a fair game about the Yakuza but some of the real life Yakuza deal with drug trafficking, human trafficking, money laundering, firearms acquisition etc.... and also the philanthropic endeavors like disaster relief etc....

I doubt a Yakuza has ever been given a chicken instead of a turkey though,

derFeef

Organizational structure, rank, titles and slicing off the pinkie is accurate.

Fighting prowess maaaaaay be a bit embellished.

Here's an excerpt from actual Yakuza interviewed about the series

Yes to some parts - definitely not in other parts.

It's close enough to be a fair game about the Yakuza but some of the real life Yakuza deal with drug trafficking, human trafficking, money laundering, firearms acquisition etc.... and also the philanthropic endeavors like disaster relief etc....

I doubt a Yakuza has ever been given a chicken instead of a turkey though,

Thanks for that!

Ricitor

Okay, that's it. Disco can go fuck itself. Thing gets stupid on Hard difficulty during some of these songs. I can hardly see the size of the prompts and I sure as hell cannot find a beat to follow. The timing is cutting it thin and the dance floor under the the damn screen leads to all kinds of fuck ups.

Screw it, let me go play some Space Harrier. That always makes me feel happy.

danowat

Banned
Okay, that's it. Disco can go fuck itself. Thing gets stupid on Hard difficulty during some of these songs. I can hardly see the size of the prompts and I sure as hell cannot find a beat to follow. The timing is cutting it thin and the dance floor under the the damn screen leads to all kinds of fuck ups.

I found using the D Pad, as opposed to the thumbstick made things easier, but yeah, the timing is still tough to get down.

Tizoc

My adviace with Yakuza series mini games is that when they become too tough don't bother. You play these mini games because they are fun, so there's no harm in playing on Easy long as you enjoy them.

Ricitor

I found using the D Pad, as opposed to the thumbstick made things easier, but yeah, the timing is still tough to get down.

Yeah, thumb stick was too unreliable. Been using D-Pad but its more on the distraction of the dance floor that knocks me off.

My adviace with Yakuza series mini games is that when they become too tough don't bother. You play these mini games because they are fun, so there's no harm in playing on Easy long as you enjoy them.

You are the sane one here. The completionist in me is screaming to get it done. I tend to go overboard in my quest for that 100% in Yakuza games. Screw it, I still have a main story to get going. I will come back to Disco later down the line.

When you're in a very serious consultation about how to draft your PhD proposal in order to secure £56K in funding but are just thinking about getting home and bashing some skulls together in Yakuza 0. <- me right now.

Recall

You are going to love this game my friend. You can play some of the games like Pool and shit online!

Yakuza 4 is one of my all time favourites simply as it caught me by surprise with how enjoyable the universe and story is. It was a game my Wife would encourage me to play simply to see what happened next and teach me how to mahjong.

I have high expectations for Zero to be just as satasifying.

When you're in a very serious consultation about how to draft your PhD proposal in order to secure £56K in funding but are just thinking about getting home and bashing some skulls together in Yakuza 0. <- me right now.

Why not both? haha

Yakuza 4 is one of my all time favourites simply, it also caught me by surprise with how enjoyable the universe and story is. It was a game my Wife would encourage me to play simply to see what happened next and teach me how to mahjong.

I have high expectations for Zero to be just as satasifying.

I haven't played it a great deal yet but I think it's the best one yet so far. Bloody brilliant. My Wife aswell, makes me play it so she can watch. Not sure if it's the funny parts of the gratification of watching japanese dweebs getting their heads caved with a bicycle or some shit haha.

I have no idea how to Mahjong so I normally video chat my friend and he tells me what to do! haha

What does raising friendship levels to the max do?

Also I just realised the random girls who appear in side missions are the stars of the Gravure videos. Always thought it was the collectible telephone cards, but then I saw Kokoa in one of them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Please tell me your excuse was the following;

*A deep bow*
Humble apologies Teacher-San
Financial Advisor Nugget ordered me to stay
*Another deep bow*
*Still bowing, back away slowly*

Haha nope. Besides, I haven't earned Nugget's services yet! I just started Chapter 2 last night before going to bed.

Side note: I looked at my phone after the first cutscene of Chapter 2 and was astonished to see it was after midnight already. I thought it was, like, 11:00. I didn't know where the time had gone! Yakuzaaaaaaa!...

SephLuis

A question on heat moves, how long is it before you get more heat moves?, I still only really have the "face slam into floor" one.

Just a quick note for everyone starting this series. When you go to the abilities tab (where you power up) you can press triangle and see all moves you currently have.

You probably already have more heat moves but they depend being close to a wall or something like that or carry a specific weapon.

To gain more heat moves you need to unlock in the skill tree or go training with the masters in each style. The moves they teach are shown as a lock in the skill tree so, in order to undergo training, you need at least all moves that connect previously to it.

Disco is cool. The timing is when the two squares overlap but I think it's slightly easier when the colored square is inside the bigger one.

What does raising friendship levels to the max do?

Also I just realised the random girls who appear in side missions are the stars of the Gravure videos. Always thought it was the collectible telephone cards, but then I saw Kokoa in one of them.

Once friendship gets near maximum level, it kinda acts like a substory. You do something for them and they help you with business and other things.

Wozzer

Thanks for taking the time for such lengthy posts, couldn't be clearer now :D

It's a shame so many game series I'd like to jump into rely on PS2/PS3 hardware, that I unfortunately sold a while ago. Also noticed that PSNow has no 'Y' games, so fresh out of luck there too.

Will pick up 0, then wait for Kiwami and see where to go from there. Thankfully a perfect jump into the series to see if I'm eager enough to do 2-5 or can continue happily enough from 6.

Wish I could play this more before the weekend, really enjoying the game. It's a shame the first two haven't agreed well, not sure I could bring myself to play them on ps2 :/

Also wish my box wasn't beat up after picking up in person but it is what it is.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Okay, so it's not just me then? Every time I tried to go in with brawler I just got destroyed, which is sad because up until then I was wrecking face with it. I'm just glad that fight's over, and now I'm hoping to grind up a little cash to put into skill ups. I just forgot how bullshit Yakuza bosses can be sometimes.

I found jab,jab,jab>dodge cancel>jab,jab,jab to be a really powerful string in the first half of the fight when he's using his circular low kick. You can dodge>dodge cancel the second string if he blocks a hit and then punish with the root string if he whiffs an attack.

After the heat cinematic he uses a few different strings and I tended to dodge to his back and grab him with brawler, keeping him knocked down for most of the fight.

Wish I could play this more before the weekend, really enjoying the game. It's a shame the first two haven't agreed well, not sure I could bring myself to play them on ps2 :/
The first two games still play 100% fine. I just played through them in 2015.

Got my copy today! Only got to play the first hour or so before I had to go to work, which I'm sure will go by a lot slower knowing Y0 is waiting at home. orz

danowat

Banned
Just a quick note for everyone starting this series. When you go to the abilities tab (where you power up) you can press triangle and see all moves you currently have.

You probably already have more heat moves but they depend being close to a wall or something like that or carry a specific weapon.

To gain more heat moves you need to unlock in the skill tree or go training with the masters in each style. The moves they teach are shown as a lock in the skill tree so, in order to undergo training, you need at least all moves that connect previously to it.

Disco is cool. The timing is when the two squares overlap but I think it's slightly easier when the colored square is inside the bigger one.

Once friendship gets near maximum level, it kinda acts like a substory. You do something for them and they help you with business and other things.

Thanks for those tips, very helpful!

Every damn side quest is interesting lol. I haven't reached chapter 4 and played more than 12 hours, omg.

edit: It's also one of the funniest games I've ever played.

edit2: LMAO that Taken/ Liam Neeson reference

Tizoc

I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and I don't know where to go :(
Looking for a business driven out by Tachibana

You see the big area in the middle of the map, The Kamurocho Shopping Center/area?
A litt north of that should be the shop you are looking for.

Ragona

Really liked what I played so far but for some reason Iam suddenly getting destroyed in combat. Went completely smooth so far and suddenly trashpacks stunlock me to hell. Was close to throwing my controller away for a second.

Whats stuff like the plates for?

I'm at the beginning of chapter 2 and I don't know where to go :(
Looking for a business driven out by Tachibana
Just walk around,
you'll find people with speech bubbles and they'll talk about Tachibana. It likes doing that for some reason but one is like South and a little left one you first go out and then one is like another Street over and south and then it tells you exactly where to go.
It's supposed to be like you're overhearing people talking and that gives you clues of what to do.

I found jab,jab,jab>dodge cancel>jab,jab,jab to be a really powerful string in the first half of the fight when he's using his circular low kick. You can dodge>dodge cancel the second string if he blocks a hit and then punish with the root string if he whiffs an attack.

After the heat cinematic he uses a few different strings and I tended to dodge to his back and grab him with brawler, keeping him knocked down for most of the fight.

The first two games still play 100% fine. I just played through them in 2015.

Do they? I was watching a video the other week that there's like constant loasing in the first one that they said got annoying, which is eliminated in the new version.

madmackem

I have trouble with most of the timing stuff on yakuza games, it's like the input is laggy with the music games, I don't know if it's the prompts arnt as good sound wise like say a guitar hero or the like but something has always been slightly off with those games in yakuza.

Recall

Really liked what I played so far but for some reason Iam suddenly getting destroyed in combat. Went completely smooth so far and suddenly trashpacks stunlock me to hell. Was close to throwing my controller away for a second.

Like the gold plates, platinum plates etc?

In Yakuza 4 they were rewards that you sold to a store for large amounts of yen.

madmackem

To pawn the for cash, yeah I'm on normal and a yakuza vet in a way and I'm only on normal and sometimes just random street fights seem way harder than they were in other yakuza games or even at the start of this.

danowat

Banned
To pawn the for cash, yeah I'm on normal and a yakuza vet in a way and I'm only on normal and sometimes just random street fights seem way harder than they were in other yakuza games or even at the start of this.

I'm assuming the things you win out of UFO machines serve no other purpose than selling them?

Menitta

Not sure how many items this applies to in 0 but in previous games, there were heat moves that only happen if you have specific items in your inventory. Like in 5, if you have a carrot in your inventory, one of Saejima's heat moves is turning someone into a snowman.

JP

OK, I'm in!!! I've spent a couple of weeks bouncing between buying this or buying the new Kingdom Hearts release before settling on this today. I just couldn't resists any longer.

I know it's a small thing but...how long does it take before I'm able to play Out Run? It's not the main thing, but also, it pretty much is. :)

Top Bottom