• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Didn't get much time to play tonight, still on Ch. 1, but it's fantastic so far. The karaoke was surprisingly hard for the first time out; I was not prepared for the judgement. The engine looks surprisingly good. The character modeling is fantastic. And I was really impressed by the reflections in the liquor glass Kiryu was holding.

I don't have a problem per se with saving at phone booths, but I do wish you could pause the voiced dialogue, and I wish the voices of the NPCs on the street were subtitled. Feels like I'm missing some of the flavor not being able to understand them.

danowat

Banned
Uhhh, why are softcore JAV intros collectibles in this game?

Why not?

Back to the game......

So I am about 10hrs in, just started chapter 3 (damn, the intro to chapter 3 is cool as hell!) and the game is really starting to click with me, I've even gone back to brawler style now I've gotten used to the combat mechanics a bit.

Murman

This is my first Yakuza game, i'm in love already after that first karaoke bit where Kiryu imagines himself performing as a rock band.

Shortly after that I was able to fight hooligans and learn rush combos from a drunk. Where has this series been all my life.

Impulsor

I started this yesterday and i already love it.

Kamurocho feels so real and full of life. So much attention to detail.

The combat is super fun and visceral.

The characters are really lifelike (except maybe the npcs haha)

Excited to play more.

Peroroncino

This is my first Yakuza game, i'm in love already after that first karaoke bit where Kiryu imagines himself performing as a rock band.

Shortly after that I was able to fight hooligans and learn rush combos from a drunk. Where has this series been all my life.

If you already like the beginning, it's only gonna get better.

Peroroncino

I'm in Chapter 1. This is just after I was told where he resides. :p

Do at least 1 main mission and he should appear. It's possible that even a sidequest may spawn him.

Edit: Oh damn, double post, I guess this is what you get for having the same thread open in 2 separate bookmarks, is there a way to join the 2 posts?

aravuus

Remember to do at least some of the substories, they're just insane. I've already helped
a-kind-of-but-not-really Michael Jackson shoot a-kind-of-but-not-really Thriller
, taught
a hardcore punk band to seem more menacing
, acted as
a producer in an advert shoot
and helped
shut down a panty-selling ring.

And I've done like 10 of Kiryu's 60 substories! I can't wait to see what kind of crazy shit there's yet to come.

BajiBoxer

Banned

I came here to post exactly this. Had time to play through the opening. Loved
actually sobering up the drunks with my fists.

Yep. 5 hours in, half for finishing chapter 1 and another half for some exploring, but the majority was spent for obsessively picking every single type of plushies from an UFO Catcher I've found. The bird plushies almost made me rage uncontrollably. I think I've got like 12 different plushies already?

I found a bar with darts and a baseball shooting range (?), tried them and sucked really hard at those two. The baseball one looks like fun though, maybe I'll try again later. Found and completed a substory for a konbini cashier. Also found something like AV Store but it doesn't really do anything right now :/

I also found a card with a girl picture on it, what it is for? It doesn't show up in my inventory and equips.

Overall the game is even better than my already high expectations! Currently I'm a little tired for the mini-games though, I'll just go through the main story next.

----------------------------------
Any tips on how to spot the damned big guy
that drains your money? he stole almost 1 mil from me....

Caim

Arakure Quest was a really nice substory. My favorite one so far.

I also forgot how deadly guns were in these games. One shot almost took my entire bar.

MaxiLive

Yep. 5 hours in, half for finishing chapter 1 and another half for some exploring, but the majority was spent for obsessively picking every single type of plushies from an UFO Catcher I've found. The bird plushies almost made me rage uncontrollably. I think I've got like 12 different plushies already?

I found a bar with darts and a baseball shooting range (?), tried them and sucked really hard at those two. The baseball one looks like fun though, maybe I'll try again later. Found and completed a substory for a konbini cashier. Also found something like AV Store but it doesn't really do anything right now :/

I also found a card with a girl picture on it, what it is for? It doesn't show up in my inventory and equips.

Overall the game is even better than my already high expectations! Currently I'm a little tired for the mini-games though, I'll just go through the main story next.

Any tips on how to spot the damned though guy.

The cards are just collectibles, they should be in your inventory on one of the tabs, you get a collectible book that they are stored in.

As for spotting the guy who steals your money I found him pretty obvious with the $$$$$ over his head. You can also buy and item thats helps out in those situations in the pawn shop.

I completed Chapter 4 last night.... sooooooooo gooood. I really enjoy where that side of the story is going and I can't wait to return to it ^.^

Also, for anyone curious, the name of the "... I did it for the Trophy" trophy in the original Japanese version is "家族の視線に注意". Which roughly translates to "Watch out for your family's gaze"

Amiibro

When I save the game it makes me save it twice no matter if I hit circle or x. Anyone else getting this? It's late maybe I was pressing the wrong thing. Heh

JJShadow

When I save the game it makes me save it twice no matter if I hit circle or x. Anyone else getting this? It's late maybe I was pressing the wrong thing. Heh

Yes, it's something normal. The game saves your progress and your settings every time you use the phone box, hence the two saving processes

danowat

Banned
Also, for anyone curious, the name of the "... I did it for the Trophy" trophy in the original Japanese version is "家族の視線に注意". Which roughly translates to "Watch out for your family's gaze"

Yeah, the western version is "I did it for the trophy"

SxP

The new cutscene style with the still, but not 100% still, images with text overlaid and people speaking is really weird and cheap looking. And the worst part of it is that they're were getting better at doing less awkward transitions between styles in the middle of conversations. I don't remember shifting back and forth between styles in Y5, while this happened a lot in earlier games. And now they add another style to awkwardly switch to in the middle of a conversation. I know they make these games on a shoestring budget, but stopping with this would go a long way towards making the game feel less outdated.

MaxiLive

The new cutscene style with the still, but not 100% still, images with text overlaid and people speaking is really weird and cheap looking. And the worst part of it is that they're were getting better at doing less awkward transitions between styles in the middle of conversations. I don't remember shifting back and forth between styles in Y5, while this happened a lot in earlier games. And now they add another style to awkwardly switch to in the middle of a conversation. I know they make these games on a shoestring budget, but stopping with this would go a long way towards making the game feel less outdated.

If they stuck with one style yeah that would help.

But I actually liked the flashback/in thought cutscenes. It is almost like the conversation has already happened and you just observing the after thoughts of the characters. It has a nice style to it and something unique + better than just text based or recycled animations conversions.

I'm a bit later into the game and it has switching less between the few different styles but early on it did see to change a bit too frequently during one story beat.

danowat

Banned

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really bother me that much, it's not really jarring, and I just assume it's a design decision, rather than due to financial constraints, I'd guess it was to convey an inner monologue, rather than an outward conversation?

Plus, it gives the game a bit of character, not that it really needs more, it's got character coming out the wazoo

Stiler

Pretty sure it auto-saves after every chapter yeah?

Also, it's 2017. If you just 'assume' a game saves, it's your problem. For fear of the same thing happening to me, I always google to confirm save arrangements with a game.

Got no one to blame but yourself aniki.

I haven't played a game in the past decade that didn't make it clear how saves work...

Either having manual saves that you can do yourself from the menu or telling you the game auto saves, etc.

I am just a little upset (but way over now since I'm caught up) that I lost over 2 hours cause of this.

samydzE.jpg

Just a few hours in but 1080p60 feels so good. Im already having fun with rush mode. It feels almost like an character action game lol 😅

Im really loving Yakuza 0 so far. It has A LOT of cutscenes in the beggining though

Tunahead

The phone card catalogue is in the third inventory tab. Press R1 in your inventory until you get there. There's three cards of each girl: Type A, Type B and Type C. When you complete a set, there's a sleazy guy in an alleyway on the eastern side of the map you can show them to and he'll give you 5 million yen per set.

Most of the cards are in the overworld, but there's a bunch in different buildings as well. That big dude next to the shrine gives you a card detector that beeps when you get near one, which will make it significantly easier to find them.

danowat

Banned
I haven't played a game in the past decade that didn't make it clear how saves work...

Either having manual saves that you can do yourself from the menu or telling you the game auto saves, etc.

I am just a little upset (but way over now since I'm caught up) that I lost over 2 hours cause of this.

Did it not?, I could have sworn it taught you how to use phoneboxes to save as one of the first mission goals in the first few minutes.

I'm new to the game, and I am fairly sure it was quite clear how it worked.

aravuus

Again, the game tells you how to save.

Tizoc

Any tips on how to spot the damned big guy
that drains your money? he stole almost 1 mil from me....

Look at the mini map. The controller should vibrate if he is within your vicinity.
You'll he's spotted you because a red arrow will appear which indicates he is nearby you.

Also go to a video shop/parlor, press Touch Pad then Triangle I think and you'll see a list of available shops. Go to the video shop to know what those pictures are for.

SxP

But I actually liked the flashback/in thought cutscenes. It is almost like the conversation has already happened and you just observing the after thoughts of the characters. It has a nice style to it and something unique + better than just text based or recycled animations conversions..

I'd guess it was to convey an inner monologue, rather than an outward conversation?

Are you guys talking about the new style here? Because the two times I've seen it used so far (I'm like 1.5 hour in) were regular conversations in the "present". First with the loan shark and then with Kiryu's friend in the ramen shop. They were not flashbacks, nor inner monologues. The second one shifted to a cutscene and then a normal conversation with VA in the same conversation. That's why it's so jarring to me, I don't understand what they're trying to do with this different style, they could've used the regular conversation style just fine.

aravuus

Are you guys talking about the new style here? Because the two times I've seen it used so far (I'm like 1.5 hour in) were regular conversations in the "present". First with the loan shark and then with Kiryu's friend in the ramen shop. They were not flashbacks, nor inner monologues. The second one shifted to a cutscene and then a normal conversation with VA in the same conversation. That's why t's so jarring to me, I don't understand what they're trying to do with this different style, they could've used the regular conversation style just fine.

Pretty sure they're like that for budgetary reasons. At least, that's what I remember reading somewhere.

I think they're inoffensive and sometimes even fitting (worked very well for the flashback), but yeah, the transitions are jarring and awkward.

I wish they were ACTUALLY static, though. Like they were presented as comic book panels or something. The tiny face movements look idiotic.

danowat

Banned
Are you guys talking about the new style here? Because the two times I've seen it used so far (I'm like 1.5 hour in) were regular conversations in the "present". First with the loan shark and then with Kiryu's friend in the ramen shop. They were not flashbacks, nor inner monologues. The second one shifted to a cutscene and then a normal conversation with VA in the same conversation. That's why it's so jarring to me, I don't understand what they're trying to do with this different style, they could've used the regular conversation style just fine.

I've never played a Yakuza game before, but I don't know about "new style", but to my eyes and ears, there seems to be three styles.

1) Fully cinematic "main" scenes

2) Voiced scenes with lip sync and gameplay graphics for "normal" scenes

3) Voiced scenes without lip sync, but thoughtful mouth movements and expressions for more subtle, thoughtful scenes, not directly inner monologues, but deliberately subtle..

Unless I am talking out of my hole, but that's my take on it.

I actually prefer the lower budget scenes without lip syncing over the non-cinematic scenes which always look super stiff. At least this new type has some interesting camera direction etc.

Top Bottom