• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

madmackem

OK, I'm in!!! I've spent a couple of weeks bouncing between buying this or buying the new Kingdom Hearts release before settling on this today. I just couldn't resists any longer.

I know it's a small thing but...how long does it take before I'm able to play Out Run? It's not the main thing, but also, it pretty much is. :)
Pretty much right away after the story setup.

Was keen to play last night, but the UPS guy left my package with the front office of my apartment complex and they close up before I get home from work. Sad boy max... :(

SephLuis

So quick question, I've equipped a weapon in my inventory, that's just a stat boost right I can't use said weapon in game?.

Press down on the D-Pad while in battle.

OK, I'm in!!! I've spent a couple of weeks bouncing between buying this or buying the new Kingdom Hearts release before settling on this today. I just couldn't resists any longer.

I know it's a small thing but...how long does it take before I'm able to play Out Run? It's not the main thing, but also, it pretty much is. :)

You should be able to play it by chapter 2 so 2-3 hours or something like that

jorgeton

I had a day off yesterday so I spent most of it on Yakuza 0.

Par for the course of a Yakuza game, it is awesome. The translation is also a lot funnier this time. I see some GAF-isms in there haha.

Those erotic videos tho lol. I am as gay as a unicorn on christmas, but I need to hunt down all the clips, just to show off to my friends. Video games in 2017!

mauaus

got the snot kicked out of me when i was about to take down
Mr. shakedown
. Ill get my 5 million gaf, right? Does he recover health?

RiverKwai

Side note: I looked at my phone after the first cutscene of Chapter 2 and was astonished to see it was after midnight already. I thought it was, like, 11:00. I didn't know where the time had gone! Yakuzaaaaaaa!...

Yeah, i accidentally played until 2am. I wake up at 6:30 for work. Oh well.

This is my first Yakuza game, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Only issue has been that I can never tell when the quick time events are going to begin, so I usually fail them because I'm already pressing a button for whatever I was doing before it popped up.
Is there any good strategy I could learn so that I do instant fail QTEs that I didnt know were starting? In other games, there's usually enough cinematics before the prompt appears so that you know that gameplay is ceasing for a bit, and then you're prompted. In this one, it seems that the prompt comes up before the cinematic gets to any crucial moment.

I also sorta wish there was some kind of estimate on how long a substory event will take. Accidentally ran into a long one after a few really short ones, and it ruined the mood. Not a big deal, though I wish this would be patched in (; it won't).

Overall I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm playing on easy since the game told me to do so, since it's my first Yakuza game.
I didn't really get the impression that the game would be like a classic Genesis brawler, based on media I've seen. I knew there was fist fights, but whenever I would see reviews on stuff, I would see just as much fighting as I would karaoke or any other minigame.
It just looked like a GTA clone loaded with a bunch of minigames.
The brawler gameplay is actually very refreshing. I thought this genre was basically dead, but I'm having a great time. By being a brawler, it also feels unique enough, that I think it warrants someone trying this game out; the game is nothing like anything else that's coming out this gen.

Story is good so far too. I didn't know it'd be in Japanese. Was the PS2 game in Japanese as well?
I enjoy how over-the-top it is, and how this seemingly Japanese sense of manliness and honor is focused on (opponents showing respect, friends punching you).

Anyone know how long these games usually are? I'm only on chapter 2, but I was surprised how long the first chapter is.

aravuus

No way hahaha I'm like twenty hours in and never used my equipped weapon yet.

I know, right. I was kind of hoping it would've just been a passive bonus, cause now I'll never use my rare (unique?) katana that I got as a quest reward cause it'll break and disappear forever after just 20 hits lmao.

15 more minutes of thesis bs and then I'll start playing again. Damn you, school.

JJShadow

Ok I'm the fucking boss at darts but I really suck at pool, I lose even on beginner mode. I think these balls follow their own physics laws haha

JP

Pretty much right away after the story setup.
You should be able to play it by chapter 2 so 2-3 hours or something like that
Thanks, I'm downloading it now so I'll hopefully be in the arcade later. If only it had EnduroRacer, I know it's not a popular game but it was the first arcade game of this type that I played with the full sit down cabinet.
arcade.jpg

Clive

Beat chapter 1 and messed around a little in chapter 2 so far and I'm having a blast. Taking down the first boss with the Rush style made me feel like a total badass. The story is shaping up well and the game looks sharp compared to the PS3 games and Ishin on the PS4. Looking forward to getting back into it tonight.

RiverKwai

I seem to be very bad at dodging the drunk guy in the "fisting master's" challenge in the parking lot. Any tips, or just practice/git gud?

Tizoc

You should be able to access them by the end of Ch. 1 at the latest.
Just approach a SEGA Hi-Tech Land and if lets you in, go spend your hard earned Yen on hours of Out Run goodness.
While listening to Magical Sound Shower of course.

Anjin M

My first Yakuza game and I'm really liking it so far. Fun to beat people up, great story, and beautiful to just wander around in. I spent a fair amount of time last night just wandering the streets and looking at the scenery.

Thanks to everyone on GAF for convincing me to give it a chance. Can't wait to get back to it tonight.

jackal27

Banned
HOLY HELL.

I was a little lukewarm on this game at the start, but when Kiryu
shows up at Dojima headquarters
at the end of chapter 1, things get freaking REAL. That was one of the most exhilarating gauntlets I've experienced in a long time. When he
crashes through the window into the bathroom
!? I was so freaking hyped.

Frimaire

Does anybody know if it actually matters what dialogue options you choose in sub-stories?
I'm really tempted to pick the joke answers sometimes...

Does anybody know if it actually matters what dialogue options you choose in sub-stories?

Some are lenient and let you just repick the remaining options so it doesn't matter if you choose a wrong one.

Some, mostly situations where you're being quizzed or are in a pressure situation, require a correct answer. You can usually tell when's the time to give the serious answer and when's not.

Ultimadrago

Wow, I equipped the
Charismatic Autobiography
from the Greaser sidequest and afterwards not only were street fights more frequent, but I feel enemies reacted quicker and attacked much faster making them tougher to deal with. I'm not sure if that's just me of if it's the intended effect.

I kept it on for hours before I started to catch on enemies running train on me. Taking it off and keeping it off just in case. lol

Wow, I equipped the
from the Greaser sidequest and afterwards not only were street fights more frequent, but I feel enemies reacted quicker and attacked much faster making them tougher to deal with. I'm not sure if that's just me of if it's the intended effect.

I kept it on for hours before I started to catch on enemies running train on me. Taking it off and keeping it off just in case. lol
Yup, that is the intended effect of the item. There's been a similar item for every game since Yakuza 1 if I remember correctly. EDIT: Yeah, it was the
Charismatic photo

where can I get scotch? Not seeing it at poppo or the m store
The convenience store (M store) in the northwest should have it.

I seem to be very bad at dodging the drunk guy in the "fisting master's" challenge in the parking lot. Any tips, or just practice/git gud?
Get back as much as you can. Wait for him to start coming toward you and then dodge to the sides. Rinse and repeat.

You can't fail a sub-story (most of the times) if that's what you are worried about. Finish them however you want.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I posted this in the YakuzaGAF community thread, but since some of you are probably at or past this point thought it'd be worth dredging up:

(wait until you're past ch. 6 before clicking, it's not about anything progression-related)

At the end of Ch. 6:
If you don't tear up, you're an inhuman monster.

Looking forward to taking my time in this one, as opposed to rushing through 3 and 4 during the summer. I guess this my first "proper" play through of Yakuza. Only on Chapter 2 but I'm having a blast so far, combat feels really good.

Ultimadrago

Yup, that is the intended effect of the item. There's been a similar item for every game since Yakuza 1 if I remember correctly. EDIT: Yeah, it was the
Charismatic photo

Yikes, well good to know! For those into that sort of self-imposed challenge, maybe Hard + that item and limited healing would be a good start for early game.

DavidDesu

Curious, does the pause menu give you recent dialogue in case you miss anything? I don't mind subtitles but inevitably it does mean you miss a lot of the visuals and subtle things as you're too focused on the text, just want to know I can focus on the visuals from time to time and not miss important dialogue.

dukeoflegs

Does anyone know the link to the manual on the web? I saw the link on the PS4 when I installed it and wanted to read it while on lunch break at work. I feel like I am missing something during fights, had a difficult time with
Kuze
last night, and turned it off with out beating him.
I looked on sega.com and yakuza0 official website and couldn't find the manual. Thanks.

The true fun challenge of Yakuza games are the boss rushes that you unlock after beating the game. It feels so good to wreck all the bosses back to back with just a single health bar without any items to use.
Curious, does the pause menu give you recent dialogue in case you miss anything? I don't mind subtitles but inevitably it does mean you miss a lot of the visuals and subtle things as you're too focused on the text, just want to know I can focus on the visuals from time to time and not miss important dialogue.
I don't think so. You can pause the cutscenes to read the more lengthy texts though.

muteki

Does anyone know the link to the manual on the web? I saw the link on the PS4 when I installed it and wanted to read it while on lunch break at work. I feel like I am missing something during fights, had a difficult time with
Kuze
I looked on sega.com and yakuza0 official website and couldn't find the manual. Thanks.
Yeah I followed the link on the PS4 dashboard and it said "manual coming soon" or some similar message, had a laugh.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kuze

The manual's not finished yet. If you need help, tweet @TriggerRedd, the guy in charge of Yakuza 0's localization.

BTW, you know there's no autosaving, right? You have to manually save each time at a phone booth...

qcf x2

This game is fun. It's restricted in a way that I hesitantly refer to as "oldschool" (shoutout to early 2000's being called oldschool) thanks to stuff like camera angles and somewhat restricted movement, but it's straight up a ton of fun and the dialogue so far is a 10/10.

I'll def double dip if it gets a Steam release. It's the most SEGA game I've played in a long time.

Wow, I equipped the

bruh, the same thing happened to me, I had to remove it. Once you get hit in a string, it is almost impossible to get out, especially if you got caught in the corner. It was like playing an old arcade game where there the is minimal hitstun.

Top Bottom