• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Am I the only one, during the side quest 51, Rise of a Dragon, with Majima, who beat 40 MILLIONS out of the boss ?

And what a cool surprise to see this guy here !

Ashtar

With the rush style how do you do heat attacks or whatever, I did one once where I punched a guy into some other guys and got a million yen.....but since then I've only done the ground stomps in rush mode

JJShadow

Wow, just got 7 million points in Space Harrier! I don't know if it's a good score or not but it's a real achievement for me, I usually suck at arcade games

Now into Outrun to get that CP

Foffy

Banned
Does anybody know where the Shakedown guy Yuki Sato spawns?

He kicked my shit in because I was low on healing items, and I want my money back.

Fjordson

Haha the
S&M ques

'What Am I doing with my life?' , lol.
Kiryu's internal dialogue was pretty great during that mission. The localization in general has been mostly great from what I've seen.

He kicked my shit in because I was low on healing items, and I want my money back.
I think this is kinda cheesing, but whenever I see Shakedown I save nearby before fighting him lol. Not interesting in losing all my cash.

Saphirax

The third disco side story is extremely annoying. I can't even manage 200 moves while the other guy ends up with over 300. Ugh.

Saphirax

Go easy, its how I beat these

I was doing 2000 she was doing 2500.
I was doing 3000 she was doing 3500
Then I hit 3500 she was at 4000

I'm having a dance off with Ogita (I think that's his name) and am doing it on easy. He always ends up 1000-2000 points ahead of me.

Gacha-pin

He doesn't spawns but is moving around the map randomly or sleeping in the park. If he takes your money. The cash he carries will be doubled the next time you encounter him so losing a battle with him is not a bad thing at all ;p

Saphirax

have more case travel before hitting the notes. Keep combo up. Use the fever in a slow part of the song to not miss as many steps.

I'm garbage at the whole fever thing - my timing is always off. So I'm working on both that and doing as many moves as possible but it's still annoying :p.

Harmen

He will become the main vilain in Yakuza
and is a fan favorite. It was a great little nod to fans. Hence the side quest's title

You mean
Ryuji
? That is very cool.
Honestly that whole Kiryu vs Ryuji thing in 2 is Liquid Snake/Ocelot vs Solid Snake tier to me.

(mild spoilers for Yakuza 2)

PRBoricua

I'm intrigued by this game but I haven't played one other game in this series. Is this a good game to jump on board with? Or should I play previous offerings first?

Chapter 4 ending spoilers
I can't be the only guy who thinks Makoto is the owner of Empty Lot, right? It just makes so much sense for Dojima family to want to grab her and Omi alliance telling Majima to kill her.
Even if she isn't the owner, I bet she is somehow involved with them.

Anyway, they finished it on such a huge cliffhanger. Though, from the trailers it's obvious what will happen.

Join the club lol
it's like a different take on chess, a breath of fresh air =)
I'll give it another shot in 0 since it sounds like Atlus retranslated the tutorial so I'm hoping it'll click, but I've never managed to understand it. Mah Jong I understand now, but Shogi still remains a mystery to me.
yeah having Atlus is a bonus, they really went out of their way to translate these mini games compared to previous yakuza releases.

You should totally learn Shogi. It's super fun! Also another perk is that
, I'll be able to ask for your help when I eventually decide to play it myself lol
the idea is very similar to chess. several of the pieces move identical to chess but some pieces have different moves which throws off the strategy.

Also if I'm being really honest the boss fight in chapter 4 was a let down. So, easy and quite unremarkable. Thus far the boss from chapter 1 is the only one that I really enjoyed fighting with.
the idea is very similar to chess. several of the pieces move identical to chess but some pieces have different moves which throws off the strategy.
Yeah, I've tried a few times in past entries but I have no idea how the pieces move and which one is okay to sacrifice and such.

I'm intrigued by this game but I haven't played one other game in this series. Is this a good game to jump on board with? Or should I play previous offerings first?

This is a largely self-contained prequel, so it's a pretty good idea to start here and then get Kiwami (Y1 remake) later this year if you're into it.

Also if I'm being really honest the boss fight in chapter 4 was a let down. So, easy and quite unremarkable. Thus far the boss from chapter 1 is the only one that I really enjoyed fighting with.

Yeah, I've tried a few times in past entries but I have no idea how the pieces move and which one is okay to sacrifice and such.

what's cool is the introductory texts shows how each piece moves. which was really helpful. and during the game moments of each piece are highlighted like a tactics game (advanced wars, final fantasy tactics, front mission, etc).

i was reading that Atlus really took their time to write up instructions for these games. i need it especially for mahjong =)

here's the quote:
Not just with consistency with previous releases, there's a lot of the localization of Yakuza that's trying to explain Japanese culture to Western audiences.

(laughs) Yeah.

As an example, there's the Shogi minigame, which was localized not just translate what was there, but also to explain Shogi to people and make it playable.

You know, it sucks that, in the previous Yakuza games, in order to play Shogi you'd have to have a second screen up just to look up what the pieces were. Forget playing the game, just knowing what the pieces were would require a second screen. So the effort has been continually to reduce the need for that kind of resource outside of the game. We rewrote the entire Mahjong tutorial too, and now it's 34 pages of Mahjong explanation that you are welcome to dive into should you so desire. And even then you still might not quite get it, but there's only so much we can do without literally putting a YouTube video in there to walk you through some Mahjong.

Foffy

Banned
He doesn't spawns but is moving around the map randomly or sleeping in the park. If he takes your money. The cash he carries will be doubled the next time you encounter him so losing a battle with him is not a bad thing at all ;p

Do all of the Shakedown guys follow this logic? I beat up the first one that was sleeping, but the one I lost two might be the second one available.

I'm still in Chapter 2.

Quick change style clothes.... WHAT? Man, I'm never changing this one! It feels so good to break a bic on someones' head and then quickly change to rush style as they are still flying in the air!

Please tell me that Majima gets a similar accessory.

what's cool is the introductory texts shows how each piece moves. which was really helpful. and during the game moments of each piece are highlighted like a tactics game (advanced wars, final fantasy tactics, front mission, etc).

i was reading that Atlus really took their time to write up instructions for these games. i need it especially for mahjong =)

here's the quote:
Woah, that's cool. I guess this might be the game that makes me finally learn Shogi (and Mahjong).

MYeager

How do I change clothes? I just got to Kiryu's apartment.

You don't until a specific story part. You can't change clothes. There are items listed as jackets and gloves which provide protection or attributes but don't appear on the character.

The quick change clothes mentioned above is an item that let's you switch styles quickly

Ultimadrago

I've just found the joy of Stamina Royale spamming Mr.Shakedown. One of Majima's has been so kind as to give me over a billion yen in two matches (after some deaths for my insolence). Man, I'll definitively be going for the "Mr. Shakedown's Deep Pockets" ability soon so I can start shaking them down more regularly!

Also, I can't believe that even the Mr.Shakedowns have their own brief motivations. This game.

Does the Rush style not have a grab move? I've never been able to grab anyone in that style.

Also, is there a trick to picking up weapons? All kinds of stuff laying around at the Ch. 1 boss level, but none of it had the icon showing I can pick it up. Not even the bat one of the guys was using.

SephLuis

He will become the main vilain in Yakuza
and is a fan favorite. It was a great little nod to fans. Hence the side quest's title

Yeah, I know. I am currently debating if I should replay
Y2. I got the HD remaster for PS3 and Y1 I played Kiwami recently.

Join us. This is the perfect starting point. Happens before every mainline game and it's a self contained story.

Hhhhnnngh i wanna buy this so bad but... I must be strong and wait...

Don't resist. Join us. You know you want it.

Someone get Nugget over here to convince him/her

How do I change clothes? I just got to Kiryu's apartment.

There are 2 types of clothing in this game. First the accessory kind like the one I mentioned above. which give you some perks but won't affect your appearance. Second are the actual outfits that you can wear.

The accessory type can be changed anytime during gameplay, but the actual outfits only unlock after beating the game.

Top Bottom