• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Finally booted this up for a bit last night

This is definitely a game you need to have time and attention for lol, so much dialogue and only saving at telephones.

Have to restart it later this evening to give it a proper go

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Finally booted this up for a bit last night

This is definitely a game you need to have time and attention for lol, so much dialogue and only saving at telephones.

Have to restart it later this evening to give it a proper go

Yeah, gotta set aside a block of time to sit down and play Yakuza. It's not a bite-sized-chunks sort of game.

Yeah, gotta set aside a block of time to sit down and play Yakuza. It's not a bite-sized-chunks sort of game.

I play a couple hours a night, don't have time for massive sessions anymore.

You can pick up and play but just don't do the storyline stuff unless you've got time to set aside.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I play a couple hours a night, don't have time for massive sessions anymore.

You can pick up and play but just don't do the storyline stuff unless you've got time to set aside.

Well, yeah, a couple hours is fine. It's not a game you can sit down with for 45 minutes before you go somewhere for the evening, though.

(Although "a couple hours" always seems to turn into several and it's suddenly after midnight and you neeeeed to go to bed but damnit you've got stuff to sell at the pawn shop and ooh is that a substory person over there?...)

Menitta

Well, yeah, a couple hours is fine. It's not a game you can sit down with for 45 minutes before you go somewhere for the evening, though.

(Although "a couple hours" always seems to turn into several and it's suddenly after midnight and you neeeeed to go to bed but damnit you've got stuff to sell at the pawn shop and ooh is that a substory person over there?...)

This is true. Last night I was like "ok I'll play for 30 minutes." I even set a timer. Then I wanted to finish chapter 4. Then I got bodied by Mr Shakedown and was out for revenge.

I don't know what's changed since last night but breaker style is suddenly clicking with me.

And it's so goddamn fun.

Edit: Also just caught a nishiki carp. Heh.

Exactly what happened to me. That's how I ran into the
dominatrix

JJShadow

My only "problem" with the game is that it won't let me progress in the main story. When I started my play session yesterday night it was like "ok, let's go to the next story mission marker and progress a bit for the next couple of hours", but I ended up doing 4 sidequests and 3 minigames sessions on my way to the marker when I realised it was past bed time already

At least I reached the story marker lol Love this game

AEREC

Never played the series but wanted to jump in on this one for obvious reasons. My only concern is the screen tearing I read about in reviews. I really cant stand image taring and in some cases it will cause me to quit a game if it's a common occurrence.

How bad is it in this game? Any chance there isn't any screen tearing on the PS4 Pro?

Never played the series but wanted to jump in on this one for obvious reasons. My only concern is the screen tearing I read about in reviews. I really cant stand image taring and in some cases it will cause me to quit a game if it's a common occurrence.

How bad is it in this game? Any chance there isn't any screen tearing on the PS4 Pro?
Are you talking about Yakuza 6? Cause that's the only Yakuza game where I've heard any complaints of screen tearing and that game's not coming to the west until early 2018. And that game's pro version doesn't suffer from screen tearing.

AEREC

Are you talking about Yakuza 6? Cause that's the only Yakuza game where I've heard any complaints of screen tearing and that game's not coming to the west until early 2018. And that game's pro version doesn't suffer from screen tearing.

No...Yakuza Zero. From the Destructoid review specifically:

Destructoid said:
The 1080p presentation really shines for Yakuza 0. There are some framerate issues while exploring the city (and some ugly screen tearing while moving the camera), but the game remains smooth and crisp whenever you're in the thick of action. I do wish Sega could have put a little bit more polish on this late international port, but none of that ugliness ever crops up during actual gameplay.

Menitta

I don't wanna say it for people that don't know because ignorance is bliss so I'll spoiler tag it. Yakuza 0 does have some minor screen tearing
at the top of the screen when exploring the city. It usually happens when looking at a part of the city with a lot of lights.

Edit: welp...fortunately it doesn't happen in combat.

Gaf sell me on this...i liked sleeping dogs... is this sorta like this??,

My gut feel us its a quirky jap pervert sim with fighting thrown in

Its like sleeping dogs without the entire GTA part of sleeping dogs.

Its more a JRPG brawler, life style simulator that can be very quircky and hilarious or step up and offer some truly amazing drama content.

mileS

Got the digital version on launch day. Could only play for 2 hours later in the day due to being busy. Was all ready to play a ton more the next day when I got hit with the flu something fierce. The type of flu that is so bad you can't even play games or watch tv. Sucks :( been living off of others impressions until I get better. Ugh what a shitty kind of luck.

danowat

Banned
Its like sleeping dogs without the entire GTA part of sleeping dogs.

Its more a JRPG brawler, life style simulator that can be very quircky and hilarious or step up and offer some truly amazing drama content.

I don't think it's much like Sleeping Dogs, apart from the Asian setting, SD was more GTA like.

But yeah, JRPG Visual novel brawler life style sim, isn't too far off the mark.

If you don't like reading subtitles, or don't like 30min cutscenes, beware.

Well I've put dozens of hours into the game so far and I haven't noticed it which says a lot. There is occasional framerate drops but they last for a second or two and haven't affected the gameplay in the slightest.

Jachaos

I can notice screen tearing pretty well usually and in this game I've definitely had it but very rarely. And its occurence is consistent: when you move the camera quickly from left to right in some of the busy streets, at night.

Haven't had any during the day, during the missions, during activities or even at night when walking normally (edit: and running around normally too. The default camera will not give screen tearing. Doing a quick 360 to bathe in the neons, that will)

Well I've put dozens of hours into the game so far and I haven't noticed it which says a lot. There is occasional framerate drops but they last for a second or two and haven't affected the gameplay in the slightest.

I've definitely had a huge drop once at the start of a fight, I think it went into single digits for a second.

I've definitely had a huge drop once at the start of a fight, I think it went into single digits for a second.

That's definitely the exception. In 100+ hours of playing the import version of 0 I can only recall one fight where the frame rate dropped for a sustained amount of time. Otherwise it was just a small hiccup (with screen tearing) hear and there around the more build up areas mainly in Kamuracho (outside the huge Pachinko Slots parlor in Theatre Square)

I only saw some screen tearing at the very beginning before you meet Nishiki after the opening cutscene. It's been mostly smooth the rest of the game. However, the game suffers from massive texture pop-in issues for me. Stuff like trash cans, cars, and even people have details pop up when you approach them and it's really jarring. I can't be the only one who notices this right? Please tell me I'm not going crazy, since I haven't seen anyone else even mention this.

I only saw some screen tearing at the very beginning before you meet Nishiki after the opening cutscene. It's been mostly smooth the rest of the game. However, the game suffers from massive texture pop-in issues for me. Stuff like trash cans, cars, and even people have details pop up when you approach them and it's really jarring. I can't be the only one who notices this right? Please tell me I'm not going crazy, since I haven't seen anyone else even mention this.

I guess most Yakuza veterans have gotten used to this. Though the high resolution and generally high fidelity does make it more prominent, and there's also more shit on screen in general compared to a lot of the previous games. That's the remnants of a game mainly designed for the PS3 hardware.

Jachaos

Some moving objects like cars or random NPCs can appear or disappear depending on your distance or if you start talking to someone, but I haven't had massive pop-ins as far as textures and static objects go.

The game performs real well for me overall.

Is there any way to tell which videos you've already seen in Gandahara? I'm trying to get completion points and would prefer just having to hit every one once.

Rizzi

After beating Resident Evil 7, I can finally get back to this. Can't decide which fighting style I want to pump my money in to first though.

If I could use Slugger style music with Kiryu's Rush. That would just be
giphy.gif

I guess most Yakuza veterans have gotten used to this. Though the high resolution and generally high fidelity does make it more prominent, and there's also more shit on screen in general compared to a lot of the previous games. That's the remnants of a game mainly designed for the PS3 hardware.

Yeah, the most telltale sign of it being designed on PS3 for me is the saving. Every time the system UI pops up I'm like "oh yeah, this shit again."

Mbrill82

Picked up my copy last night. I managed to resist buying it Tuesday morning when I picked up RE7 but I went back and got it once I realized I can't play RE7 after dark...

Ah so there are missables. Before I start playing I'll have to figure out if I want to go for all of them or not

The missables are at certain chapters and only relate to storyline missions.

There are 8 if I am not mistaken.

Everything else can be completed in free-roam mode post end-game.

If you want a list of missables I can put one together quite fast and spoiler tag it?

Ah so there are missables. Before I start playing I'll have to figure out if I want to go for all of them or not

It's a handful of trophies. I think like 8, beyond that a few items it looks like are missable based on substories, but I could be wrong there.

It's a handful of trophies. I think like 8, beyond that a few items it looks like are missable based on substories, but I could be wrong there.

No substories are missable my friend. I don't even think it's possible to fail them?

I don't know what happens if your inventory is full when they hand you the loot reward though

vypek

The missables are at certain chapters and only relate to storyline missions.

There are 8 if I am not mistaken.

Everything else can be completed in free-roam mode post end-game.

If you want a list of missables I can put one together quite fast and spoiler tag it?

That would be great. I'd really appreciate that.

Having only 8 missables sounds good and I'm glad most can be gotten post game or in free roam.

EDIT: So I don't have to worry about completing substories during certain times?

No substories are missable my friend. I don't even think it's possible to fail them?

I don't know what happens if your inventory is full when they hand you the loot reward though
In previous games, either the substory was "resolved" meaning you did them exactly right, or "done" meaning you fucked up somewhere.

Both counted as having completed the substory and still unlocked trophies/rewards.
That would be great. I'd really appreciate that.

Having only 8 missables sounds good and I'm glad most can be gotten post game or in free roam.

EDIT: So I don't have to worry about completing substories during certain times?

Here's a link to a trophy Guide which specifies certain missable trophies: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/trophyguide.html

Also no, substories can be done at your leisure and even if you end the game, that's when you go into premium adventure mode where you can basically do any side quest that you haven't and muck about in the world without worrying about the main story.

Top Bottom