• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Otheradam

I am playing on a PS4 Pro in 1080p and I notice screen tearing. It's only after a fight and you load back into the city though. The first time I swing the camera around the top has screen tearing but it goes away after that.

I am playing on a PS4 Pro in 1080p and I notice screen tearing. It's only after a fight and you load back into the city though. The first time I swing the camera around the top has screen tearing but it goes away after that.

It's been doing this since it's original Japanese release in 2015.

What MadClacker said.

Also, this game doesn't have a Pro Version. Yakuza 6 is the only game so far with a Pro version and that's coming out in early 2018 for the West.

That would be great. I'd really appreciate that.

Having only 8 missables sounds good and I'm glad most can be gotten post game or in free roam.

EDIT: So I don't have to worry about completing substories during certain times?

Missable trophies (and their requirements) spoiler tagged below - do not click if you do not want a spoiler. Full credit to Ps4trophies.org

Rich Taste
Treat a homeless man to a ¥20,000 bottle of booze.

In Chapter 2, you'll have to buy alcohol for a group of homeless men, one of whom will ask for champagne. Go to Don Quixote and buy a bottle of Champagne Gold for 20,000 yen, then give it to him.

Smooth Criminal
Successfully negotiate ideal terms with Yamagata.

In Chapter 3, you'll head to Odyssey to negotiate with Yamagata over one of his employees. On the way, there are three NPCs with information about conditions at Odyssey that you can talk to (their locations are marked "4" on this map. Once you go inside Odyssey, you'll have the opportunity to look around the club. You need to look at the four different tables (three with customers, one empty) inside. You apparently have a limited amount of time in which to do this, but if so, it's not a very strict as I didn't encounter it in either of my playthroughs. Note: you will not actually receive the trophy until you enter Grand in the beginning of Chapter 4.

Business Etiquette 101
Impress Oda with your perfect manners.

After you meet Oda at Cafe Alps in Chapter 5, you'll be asked to choose which table to sit at. Choose the table in the middle (with four chairs and away from the door) and sit in the chair in front of you. Then don't order anything to drink and pass the QTE after the old man enters. You'll receive the trophy after the end of the conversation with the old man.

Best Served Cold?
Take more than 15 minutes bringing the takoyaki.

Majima will head off to buy takoyaki in Chapter 7. After you buy it, don't return to the warehouse; after 15 minutes it will become cold (the item in your inventory will change) and you will receive the trophy.

It Takes Two
Defeat 3 foes using co-op moves with Oda or Tachibana.

There is a lengthy sequence in Chapter 10 in which Kiryu, Tachibana, and Oda fight a number of yakuza. Defeat at least three using the heat action that becomes available when an enemy is being grabbed by Tachibana or Oda. There are a number of groups of enemies so this shouldn't be difficult. Since Tachibana and Oda will only occasionally grab an enemy, however, I recommend you bring some items to fill up your heat gauge to make sure you can take advantage of any opportunities.

They Won't Mind
Steal Nikkyo Consortium funds from their safe.

When Majima heads to Bentenya in Chapter 12, there will be two small white safes by the final staircase (at the location marked "6" on this map). Break them and you'll receive this trophy (and a fair amount of money).

Big Hair in the Crosshairs
Defeat the yakuza with an afro on the highway.

About halfway through the car chase/gun battle in Chapter 13, one of the enemies leaning out of a car will have an afro and a white suit (he will appear just before the van with the machine gunner). Shoot him to receive the trophy. This isn't difficult, but you may want to use Kiryu's Heat Eye ability as he goes by more quickly than other enemies do.

Hitting the Bottle
Suffer the full force of Reina's attack.

During a fight inside Serena in Chapter 15, there will be a QTE where Reina swings at Majima's head with a bottle. Fail the QTE and let her hit you to get the trophy.

GeoramA

Hurrying through Gravity Rush 2 to get to this. Love reading all the positive impressions, especially from new-comers to the series. I hope they never stop making Yakuza games.

Hurrying through Gravity Rush 2 to get to this. Love reading all the positive impressions, especially from new-comers to the series. I hope they never stop making Yakuza games.

There is another two confirmed to be localized for the west as it is.

Good time to be alive.

JJShadow

Spend 100000 yen in the Dream Machine

Got a Dreamcast stuffed toy, not bad

Spend 1 million yen in the Dream Machine

Got another Dreamcast stuffed toy

:(

vypek

In previous games, either the substory was "resolved" meaning you did them exactly right, or "done" meaning you fucked up somewhere.

Both counted as having completed the substory and still unlocked trophies/rewards.

Here's a link to a trophy Guide which specifies certain missable trophies: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/trophyguide.html

Also no, substories can be done at your leisure and even if you end the game, that's when you go into premium adventure mode where you can basically do any side quest that you haven't and muck about in the world without worrying about the main story.

Thank you :)

Missable trophies (and their requirements) spoiler tagged below - do not click if you do not want a spoiler. Full credit to Ps4trophies.org

Rich Taste
Treat a homeless man to a ¥20,000 bottle of booze.

In Chapter 2, you'll have to buy alcohol for a group of homeless men, one of whom will ask for champagne. Go to Don Quixote and buy a bottle of Champagne Gold for 20,000 yen, then give it to him.

Smooth Criminal
Successfully negotiate ideal terms with Yamagata.

In Chapter 3, you'll head to Odyssey to negotiate with Yamagata over one of his employees. On the way, there are three NPCs with information about conditions at Odyssey that you can talk to (their locations are marked "4" on this map. Once you go inside Odyssey, you'll have the opportunity to look around the club. You need to look at the four different tables (three with customers, one empty) inside. You apparently have a limited amount of time in which to do this, but if so, it's not a very strict as I didn't encounter it in either of my playthroughs. Note: you will not actually receive the trophy until you enter Grand in the beginning of Chapter 4.

Business Etiquette 101
Impress Oda with your perfect manners.

After you meet Oda at Cafe Alps in Chapter 5, you'll be asked to choose which table to sit at. Choose the table in the middle (with four chairs and away from the door) and sit in the chair in front of you. Then don't order anything to drink and pass the QTE after the old man enters. You'll receive the trophy after the end of the conversation with the old man.

Best Served Cold?
Take more than 15 minutes bringing the takoyaki.

Majima will head off to buy takoyaki in Chapter 7. After you buy it, don't return to the warehouse; after 15 minutes it will become cold (the item in your inventory will change) and you will receive the trophy.

It Takes Two
Defeat 3 foes using co-op moves with Oda or Tachibana.

There is a lengthy sequence in Chapter 10 in which Kiryu, Tachibana, and Oda fight a number of yakuza. Defeat at least three using the heat action that becomes available when an enemy is being grabbed by Tachibana or Oda. There are a number of groups of enemies so this shouldn't be difficult. Since Tachibana and Oda will only occasionally grab an enemy, however, I recommend you bring some items to fill up your heat gauge to make sure you can take advantage of any opportunities.

They Won't Mind
Steal Nikkyo Consortium funds from their safe.

When Majima heads to Bentenya in Chapter 12, there will be two small white safes by the final staircase (at the location marked "6" on this map). Break them and you'll receive this trophy (and a fair amount of money).

Big Hair in the Crosshairs
Defeat the yakuza with an afro on the highway.

About halfway through the car chase/gun battle in Chapter 13, one of the enemies leaning out of a car will have an afro and a white suit (he will appear just before the van with the machine gunner). Shoot him to receive the trophy. This isn't difficult, but you may want to use Kiryu's Heat Eye ability as he goes by more quickly than other enemies do.

Hitting the Bottle
Suffer the full force of Reina's attack.

During a fight inside Serena in Chapter 15, there will be a QTE where Reina swings at Majima's head with a bottle. Fail the QTE and let her hit you to get the trophy.
And thank you :)

No substories are missable my friend. I don't even think it's possible to fail them?

I don't know what happens if your inventory is full when they hand you the loot reward though

Right but there are varying rewards based on how well you do in them. I don't know if you miss a reward in a substory if you can get it again. I figure most of them are in the DREAM machines though. (I got a golden rifle in one!)

Apologies if this has been answered already but when do the substories open up? I just started Chapter 2 and ran around for a spell but couldn't find anything. Are they only accessible during certain parts of the game?

SxP

Apologies if this has been answered already but when do the substories open up? I just started Chapter 2 and ran around for a spell but couldn't find anything. Are they only accessible during certain parts of the game?

They start in the beginning of Chapter 2, when you need to go to Kiryu's apartment. Which means you need to go see Nishikijama first.

shandy706

Played for about an hour again last night. It's going to take me forever to get through this game, but I'm loving my first one.

Managed to get into the Sega Arcade, got to do the batting practice, made it to the disco..lol. I love that march up the building to get to Kuze. Also love the music and the impact of the combat.

Great stuff.

Clive

Some open up in Chapter 2, some in later chapters. None are missable so just keep going until you find them. A guide exists here:
http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/substories.html

Edit: Ninja'd. Yakuza fans are too helpful.

They're out there already but you only start them by running into them on the street in pre-defined destinations, or by going to various locations or doing various things. Sadly, they're not marked on the map.

But once you start them, then you get a notification on the map telling you where to go.

They start in the beginning of Chapter 2, when you need to go to Kiryu's apartment. Which means you need to go see Nishikijama first.

Some open up in Chapter 2, some in later chapters. None are missable so just keep going until you find them. A guide exists here:
http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/substories.html

Edit: Ninja'd. Yakuza fans are too helpful.

They're out there already but you only start them by running into them on the street in pre-defined destinations, or by going to various locations or doing various things. Sadly, they're not marked on the map.

But once you start them, then you get a notification on the map telling you where to go.

Thanks!

datwr

Omg the real estate stuff is consuming my life lol

Its great isn't it! :)
I spent several hours doing sub stories and playing mini-games while waiting for the payment collections.
Make sure to spend CP at the temple to speed up the collections for faster money!!!
I forced myself to continue in the end :p

The Cabaret Club later is also great!
I even like it more, as it is more involved then the real estate stuff.

Saw that link below about missable trophies and clicked the spoiler...welp, I'm already outta the running. Guess I'm not bothering with plat (which is fair because I think I only have like 2 or 3 plats to begin with).

I just spent like 45 minutes writing you guys some sweet cabaret management tips, and what do I do? I drop it in the old thread. It's there if you're interested. :)
I'm on Chapter 7 so I expect it's gonna start soon, appreciate the tips before hand :)
Saw that link below about missable trophies and clicked the spoiler...welp, I'm already outta the running. Guess I'm not bothering with plat (which is fair because I think I only have like 2 or 3 plats to begin with).
I made a personal decision before the game came out that I'm gonna plat this game.

Even though the only game that I've platted is Infamous: Second Son. I can plat Street Fighter 5 but just need to watch a few more replays as that's the only thing missing.

I was already gonna play through the story a second time on NG+ so this still works for me. I've already won twice at Cat fights so hopefully I can keep the luck going (The payout for Cat fights is insane if you're lucky, bet 20 mil and got 17x odds and won)

Ultimadrago

Quoting TriggerRedd's Cabaret Guide for prosperity:

Whoops, I put this in the old thread instead of the OT. I am best at NEOGAF.

Yooooo, someone was asking a few pages back for some cabaret tips, and I've sunk so much time into that thing that I feel like it'd be kind of a waste to just hold onto it forever.

If you haven't gotten that far in the game, this won't make a whole lot of sense, but for those of you dipping your feet into the incredibly addictive cabaret management minigame (Majima unlocks it in his second set of chapters), here's some cool ways to maximize it. You should pretty much skip this post though if you really want to figure the game out for yourself, which I also highly encourage.

TIPS FOR BEGINNERS
-Do some hiring! If you
sucked at scoping out Odyssey early in the game,
you'll end up with a default roster of 3 ladies, two bronzes and your platinum. This is not enough to bother playing the game with. Head to the shrine and spend some CP to insta-recruit some hostesses, or wander around town and buy luxury items from Le Marche.
-Do the substories! Some of the best hostesses are recruited from substories, including some that you'd least expect.
-Do the special training! You can level up your platinum hostesses with one round of special training between each running of the club. PS, the answer you think is right can sometimes bite you in the ass because of the Majima Factor™, so just answer honestly.
-Don't worry about the make-up and clothes stats! You do you, man. If you want your platinums to be beautiful in your own eyes or horrid combinations of makeup and hair, go for it. You'll account for the stat loss without having to worry about it.
-Don't overwork the girls! Always check your cast on duty. If the girls are showing "meh" face, give them a day off, or your stats will hurt for it.

THE GAME ITSELF
-A customer's gonna come in and you have ten nice long seconds to seat a hostess, and furthermore, when you're selecting a hostess, the clock is frozen. Take your time!
-Don't worry about stats and all that. It's all factored into the satisfaction level of the customer, and you're aiming for either the purple face (happiest) or the orange face (happy). Green "meh" face is acceptable, and any less than that could cause trouble.
-Hit all the "check please" and "help please" signals! This is how you do the shinogi. Each one you miss is a missed opportunity.
-Learn the hand signals!
Towel looks like wringing out a towel, the L is a guest glass, the "c" is a lady's glass, the thumb-to-pinky is ice refill, and the circle is ash tray.
If you aren't sure, wait a little, and she'll tell you straight up what she needs - you just won't get as big a bonus.
-Nailing the hand signal increases satisfaction! In this way, you can be perfectly fine to sit a customer with green or orange and raise it to purple. Ohhh yeah.

WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE CHECK PLEASE?
-Always go for the extension! Unless you have a reason to heal the girl (praise is free for light heal, gift costs money for nice heal) then even if they say "short session" you can tempt those suckers right into a free fever time.
-Keep gift costs down! I found that giving out gifts just ends up costing you money. Unless you're really hard up for fans or a girl's HP, don't waste your time with gifts. The "thank you" options are free and also slightly increase fans, which you should do when given no other option.

WAIT, FANS?
-The more fans you have, the richer your clientele will be! The richer your clientele, the pickier they are about the girls! See how that works?
-"Partnering" with the businesses outside the club increases the fans! Fan count progresses the story! Fans are key!

WHEN SHOULD I FEVER TIME?
So glad you asked. There are a couple ways to use fever:
-Did you just get forced to seat a girl at a sad or angry face table? Oh hell no, use Fever Time, and you MIGHT turn that table into a purple happiness cash train.
-The fever time bar has three tiers! Each tier increases the number of tables that will hit fever time, so weigh your options.
-Watch the clock! If you're down the last minute or so and you're sitting on 3 bars of fever, don't waste it!

I CAN'T BEAT THE CABARET CLUB BATTLE!
-Is one of the Five Stars giving you trouble? Your clientele isn't rich enough. You can power right those those attacks if you're smart about the game and saavy about the clientele.
-The AI will lose a lot of money in gifts. Don't be like the AI. (AI, not Ai, the hostess)

PRO TIPS
Ahhh, here we go.
-When you win a cabaret club battle,
you get a new platinum, and Youda gives you a bonus.
If you're smart, you'll roll your money straight into partnering with the next club's entire area, minus the property tied to the friendship. This is the fastest way to advance the story without running the club needlessly.
-Keep your cast well-rounded! Try to have someone high in each of the five stats - Party, Love, Talk, etc.
-Don't waste a plat! If your gold or silver hostesses is getting you an orange or purple face, use her! You'll be sad you sat a plat when someone comes in and literally REQUESTS that plat while she's talking to some poor dudebro. Use plats on your cash-money customers.

LET'S GET META
-When you sit a girl, she has a sit-down cool-down, where she introduces herself and bows and all that. SHE IS NOT EARNING during this time. She is ineligible for fever at this time. However....
if you get real good at timing it, you can skip the entire sitdown animation by assigning a girl and then jumping into a help please or a check please,
which gets you earning mo money mo fast.

I hope this helps. I really enjoyed doing the cabaret and finishing it gets you an incredible reward, which I won't discuss here -- but this is where Majima really shines as a character, and all the hostesses are great to interact with to. Have fun!

I made a personal decision before the game came out that I'm gonna plat this game.

Even though the only game that I've platted is Infamous: Second Son. I can plat Street Fighter 5 but just need to watch a few more replays as that's the only thing missing.

I was already gonna play through the story a second time on NG+ so this still works for me. I've already won twice at Cat fights so hopefully I can keep the luck going (The payout for Cat fights is insane if you're lucky, bet 20 mil and got 17x odds and won)

I can respect that. I think the only plats I have are from the old hitman games that were released as the HD trilogy rerelease of HM2, Contracts, Blood Money. I didn't get to wrap up BM's trophy list on PS3 before the new one hit, but I've already beaten it enough times on 360 and PC that I wasn't too broken up about it. :D

renzolama

I'm really enjoying the game, but I feel like I'm missing something with the combat. The second a single enemy attack touches me, it feels like I lose all ability to control my character until the enemy is finished combo'ing me. Is there really no way to guard or dodge out of an enemy combo once it touches you?

I can respect that. I think the only plats I have are from the old hitman games that were released as the HD trilogy rerelease of HM2, Contracts, Blood Money. I didn't get to wrap up BM's trophy list on PS3 before the new one hit, but I've already beaten it enough times on 360 and PC that I wasn't too broken up about it. :D
Completely unrelated but I just recently started playing HITMAN (2016) after really disliking Absolution when it came out and Blood Money being one of my favourite games ever (still listen to the OST from time to time).

And it is just wonderful. Not platinum worthy cause I'm not that great but still a treat regardless.

-End of Off-topic post.
I'm really enjoying the game, but I feel like I'm missing something with the combat. The second a single enemy attack touches me, it feels like I lose all ability to control my character until the enemy is finished combo'ing me. Is there really no way to guard or dodge out of an enemy combo once it touches you?
Depends on style-to-style. Some can just armor through attacks, some can retaliate with their own attack after getting hit (Kiryu's brawler, Majima's Slugger) and some need upgrade to allow for these attacks.

I just spent like 45 minutes writing you guys some sweet cabaret management tips, and what do I do? I drop it in the old thread. It's there if you're interested. :)

I actually enjoyed needlessly running the club. I was determined to max out every single girl. Haven't finished the storyline yet, but have taken down a few clubs.

The funny thing I find is, rather than shut down the other clubs, why wouldn't you invest in them, take them over? Club Sunshine will end up a monopoly!

Laws00

This guy........
1485457990453.png

Stuart444

Just finished substory 19:

Was a nice substory and getting to see how Daigo was as a child. Didn't expect him to make a cameo when I started playing this though lol.

SephLuis

Will start tomorrow.

Normal or Hard? Experienced gamer, but my first Yakuza.

Go normal, if it's too easy you can change mid game.

Or go hard and see if you can conquer it. It's not that difficult if compared to other more action oriented games (Just remember to stock healing items)

Also is a triangle better than a circle on the advisors for investing in a company type?

No.

X = Bad
Triangle = Medium
Circle = Good
Two circles = Very good

SephLuis

Are there any healing items in chapter 1? My health keeps getting whittled down bit by bit in each fight and never recovers.

That depends where you are. If you're exploring the city, you can eat in any restaurant to recover health. Or you can buy food and other healing items in convenience stores.

Search the map for a drug store that sells the best healing items, there's only one drug store in each city (check map and press triangle to see all places you can visit).

If you're in the middle of a battle stage (story portion) and on hard, you're out of luck, If you're on normal, there should be a few in the stage itself.

dan2026

The screen tearing can be pretty bad.
I'm assuming the game uses an adaptive vsync and when it drop below 60 it tears.
Its unfortunate.
I hope the Yazuza 1 remake is better about this.

So far I am enjoying the story. Majima's seems slightly better than Kiryus so far.
Unfortunately the combat seems kind of braindead and easy, I'm really hoping it picks up.

Conezays

Interesting to read which mini-games and side stories others are doing as they progress through the game. Some of you have finished side-stuff I haven't seen yet at 11 hours in (Chapter 4 now on Hard). No real complaints here; very consistent series and yet another great game IMO. Also regarding technical issues, the screen-tearing and stuttering are incredibly minor and hardly a legitimate deterrent.

Fingers crossed we get a localisation of Ishin some day but I'm not holding my breath. Sort of surprising we got Dead Souls yet not the Samurai spinoffs, lol. I suppose zombies were/are a bit more in vogue market-wise. Granted, I still enjoyed Dead Souls; Majima going completely off the rails is always entertaining.

NZerker12

Where the hell do you get Salmon and an eel for the
Kamion Resturant Sidequest
. I managed to get the turtle but can't seem to get the other two. All I seem to be getting is Black Bass and Snakefish.

SephLuis

Where the hell do you get Salmon and an eel for the
Kamion Resturant Sidequest
. I managed to get the turtle but can't seem to get the other two. All I seem to be getting is Black Bass and Snakefish.

IIRC, you need premium bait for them and there's two fishing spots in Sontebori. One of them is close to Majima's house (where you probably got the turtle) and the second one in one the other side of the river. You need to go to the second one for an eel and black bass.

Remember to buy the best rod from the pawn shop. I just forgot where to buy premium bait, Don Quixote maybe ?

Top Bottom