• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I played Yakuza 1-5 the "normal" way and decided to do story only for my first playthrough of Y0. Just finished it after 2-3 days. I am really surprised by how much I enjoyed just experiencing the story, instead of dilly dallying around sub missions for weeks and never actually pushing to the end. I will restart on legendary now to do the sub mission stuff and skip story cutscenes, but it was a different way to experience a yakuza game that I sincerely enjoyed, while I can still play the wacky/challenging stuff now. Just felt like sharing in case someone else thought about doing something similar .

NZerker12

IIRC, you need premium bait for them and there's two fishing spots in Sontebori. One of them is close to Majima's house (where you probably got the turtle) and the second one in one the other side of the river. You need to go to the second one for an eel and black bass.

Remember to buy the best rod from the pawn shop. I just forgot where to buy premium bait, Don Quixote maybe ?

I used Quality bait but didn't notice a difference then again i'm using the standard rod. Of course with the old complaining on GAF method, I just got an eel while typing this. Now to go with your advice and get the best rod and get that Salmon.

brawly

Had an hour to play yesterday. Spent it all playing pool. No regrets.

And I really dig the new map. It's sooo much better at telling you what is where.

IIRC, you need premium bait for them and there's two fishing spots in Sontebori. One of them is close to Majima's house (where you probably got the turtle) and the second one in one the other side of the river. You need to go to the second one for an eel and black bass.

Remember to buy the best rod from the pawn shop. I just forgot where to buy premium bait, Don Quixote maybe ?

I need to find where to buy bait. I got the rod at least. Still no luck with any of the three. Can I buy them anywhere? I have roughly ¥200,000,000 right now.

I actually enjoyed needlessly running the club. I was determined to max out every single girl. Haven't finished the storyline yet, but have taken down a few clubs.

The funny thing I find is, rather than shut down the other clubs, why wouldn't you invest in them, take them over? Club Sunshine will end up a monopoly!

Because I'm evil.

SephLuis

I actually enjoyed needlessly running the club. I was determined to max out every single girl. Haven't finished the storyline yet, but have taken down a few clubs.

The funny thing I find is, rather than shut down the other clubs, why wouldn't you invest in them, take them over? Club Sunshine will end up a monopoly!

Yes and the clubs will be known as the five Sunshines of Sotenbori *evil laughter*

Tizoc

Just spent 4 hours learning and playing Mahjong. Where did the time go 0_o

You wanted to experience the true thrill
AK08_100-101.png

Jesus, I got almost 10 hours played and I'm still in the middle of chapter 2. I bought this to keep me busy until Nioh releases, but it seems there's no chance I'll finish this before then :p
Also, that Disco battle against the 3rd guy is insane. I got over 5500 score on normal and he still beat me with 6000+ :'-(

So if I have 0 idea on how to play Shogi or Mahjong, it's possible to learn sufficiently enough to win within the game?
It is, the tutorial rules are really in depth. I struggled at first until I looked up some tips and then was able to win almost every game, or at least not lose any money :)

Advice:

- Don't steal, you generally get a lower score that way.
- collect numbers 2-8 in a suit, ignore the others at first, preferably in a run as it gives you more odds of finding the bits you need.
- go for the Dora if you can.
- change the rules for red Dora on, gives some 5's worth extra points.
- Ricci when possible.

Jesus, I got almost 10 hours played and I'm still in the middle of chapter 2. I bought this to keep me busy until Nioh releases, but it seems there's no chance I'll finish this before then :p
Also, that Disco battle against the 3rd guy is insane. I got over 5500 score on normal and he still beat me with 6000+ :'-(

33 hours played and I'm in chapter six, lol.

rje

Old man: "Do you want to play shogi?"
Me: "sure I'll give it a try"

Me: "uhhhhhhhhhhhh I have no idea what's going on"

Also, goddamn the beginning of Chapter 3 is amazing. Majima is the best

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Some of these sub missions are really fucking weird. Ch2:

The dominatrix in the park with the kids? It was so terrible and creepy it was almost brilliant

Some of these sub missions are really fucking weird. Ch2:

The dominatrix in the park with the kids? It was so terrible and creepy it was almost brilliant
Ha ha! That was so funny. I took a screenshot and sent it to a friend who was like wtf? lol.

Love this game.

HeeHo

Guys, I ordered through Amazon because it was almost 10 bucks cheaper than other places (I do not have prime) and I chose free shipping because normally Amazon is pretty good even with free shipping but yikes, I still do not have my copy and it is expected to ship on the 30th or also arrive on that day. I mean, they let me know in advance it would be that way shortly after I preordered but I was hoping it was just a safe placeholder date.

I have been avoiding this thread because I am jealous.

For majima, if you want to get the trouble finder item that allows you to see the markers on the map for substories,
you need to complete the friendship of the restaurant owner that's right in front of majima's apartment

Warning: it requires fishing.

Mupod

I keep trying to do sidequests the 'right' way but dammit I bet some of these wrong responses are hilarious. I want to re-do the dominatrix one and just turn her into a tsundere.

Venfayth

Is there a place you can fish with Kiryu?

edit: Nevermind.. I thought of it right after I posted.

The Tokyo Pier where you train with that one woman

Drewfonse

So I played Yakuza 1-5 the "normal" way and decided to do story only for my first playthrough of Y0. Just finished it after 2-3 days. I am really surprised by how much I enjoyed just experiencing the story, instead of dilly dallying around sub missions for weeks and never actually pushing to the end. I will restart on legendary now to do the sub mission stuff and skip story cutscenes, but it was a different way to experience a yakuza game that I sincerely enjoyed, while I can still play the wacky/challenging stuff now. Just felt like sharing in case someone else thought about doing something similar .

How many hours would you say the story was? 20ish?

Edit: 15 hrs!

Top Bottom