• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

DarkStream

Phew, I got to the business part with Majima.
Started out doing the whole thing and suddenly five hours have passed.
What am I doing with my life?

Story Spoiler Majima (Chapter 6, I think)

The story about Makoto was dark...

xezuru

Is there a NG+ where you can up the difficulty or does it reset? I always forget in Yakuza, cause I been on the finale chapter cleaning up quests.

thisbeard

Hey y'all, I have a weird question. I've never played a Yakuza game but have found myself all swept up in 0's hype. I tried Yakuza 3 at one point but didn't really dig it at the time. But 0's setting and 80's aesthetic seems super rad so I'm really wanting to pick it up. Thing is, I recently bought Sleeping Dogs on the cheap and started playing that. So, though y'all are for sur biased, I'm curious to know if I should finish Sleeping Dogs as I already have it, or rush right into Yakuza 0. I know they're completely different kinds of games but am curious to know what gaf thinks!

TLDR; should I finish the 3/4 of sleeping dogs I have left to play OR just rush in and get to Yakuza-ing?

S1kkZ

is there a point of ne return in the story? i am in chapter
------- 10 ----- and the game tells me to make some money before i leave

SephLuis

Hey y'all, I have a weird question. I've never played a Yakuza game but have found myself all swept up in 0's hype. I tried Yakuza 3 at one point but didn't really dig it at the time. But 0's setting and 80's aesthetic seems super rad so I'm really wanting to pick it up. Thing is, I recently bought Sleeping Dogs on the cheap and started playing that. So, though y'all are for sur biased, I'm curious to know if I should finish Sleeping Dogs as I already have it, or rush right into Yakuza 0. I know they're completely different kinds of games but am curious to know what gaf thinks!

TLDR; should I finish the 3/4 of sleeping dogs I have left to play OR just rush in and get to Yakuza-ing?

I like Sleeping Dogs so it's worth finishing it. Yakuza 0 is a different kind of game, think as if it was Sleeping Dogs but on a much smaller neighborhood and a much bigger focus on hand to hand combat.

is there a point of ne return in the story? i am in chapter
------- 10 ----- and the game tells me to make some money before i leave

There is one, but it's on the last chapter and everyone usually says to get ready before any long sequence of events.

In this case, you can return later to do everything else.

Alastor3

Quick question: Is there someplace where i can learn to play mahjong and that other chess board (shoten I think?) ? I heard there was an anime about mahjong?

About the baseball mini-game, I never got it but is there something special if you hit the sign that is moving on top of the targets?

Does increasing health in a certain skills affect only when you use that fighting style or is it general?

I got all sort of stuff in my inventory, stuff I gain from the Sega booth and from the million$ vending machine, or like an umbrella, or I even saw a shop with super luxury clothes, does that have anything to do with quests or not?

God it feels so good to be back.

It's insane how much I miss or can't "guess" when playing the import versions. I love it, and i love supporting them, but there's nothing like being able to follow a Yakuza game's plot.

All the little narrative details, dialogue stuff. I fucking love this serious so much!

Up to chapter 7, 24 hours in. And just like in Y4, I'm completely hooked on the hostess club management. Anyone have any tips for the first rival battle? I never struggle with regular shifts so I assume I should just try to gather more fans.

I only did the drunk guy so far but that guy was so easy. All you have to do is run away from him in circles. You don't even need to dodge :p
I agree. Even the next two weren't difficult as I managed to do them in my first try. But I know a lot of guys were having problem with the drunk dude, so yeah, the next ones are gonna be brutal for them :p

leng jai

The "open world" aspect feels so restricted. Invisible walls everywhere and the weird camera always feels like it's trying to funnel you down a certain direction.

Recall

So only just started chapter 2 picked up my scanner for the cards but yet to come across any yet, are they available to collect in the world yet?

Also when does the first sub story become available?

Thanks

Foffy

Banned
This thread is only about 100 posts shy of being bigger than the Yakuza Community thread.

It looks like Y0 is a big moment for the franchise in the West.

I hope it is, and it could be why they're giving us Kiwami as well.

The biggest concern from fans was starting a ways into the series, but with 0 and Kiwami, this is the start of it, at least lore-wise.

Now, how they could gear up players for 6 is a difficult thing..right now, Yakuza 2 is probably the most dated mainline game, and outside of PS Now, is probably the hardest game to push fans to get.

I guess we can only hope for a Kiwami 2, and ports of 3, 4, and 5 to PS4 at 60fps, but that's not only asking a lot out of Sega, but asking a lot out of Sega to bring over...

thisbeard

I like Sleeping Dogs so it's worth finishing it. Yakuza 0 is a different kind of game, think as if it was Sleeping Dogs but on a much smaller neighborhood and a much bigger focus on hand to hand combat

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it. Still going to take the dive on Yakuza 0 but not counting Sleeping Dogs out at all. Cheers!

Recall

Quick question: Is there someplace where i can learn to play mahjong and that other chess board (shoten I think?) ? I heard there was an anime about mahjong?

About the baseball mini-game, I never got it but is there something special if you hit the sign that is moving on top of the targets?

Does increasing health in a certain skills affect only when you use that fighting style or is it general?

I got all sort of stuff in my inventory, stuff I gain from the Sega booth and from the million$ vending machine, or like an umbrella, or I even saw a shop with super luxury clothes, does that have anything to do with quests or not?

You can't lose or consume item quests so whatever you don't want you should store in your item box when you save the game. The more you progress more option will appear to make use of them either for profit gain, cosmetic or battle help.

The item description does state that all health ability are added regardless of stance.

MYeager

I agree. Even the next two weren't difficult as I managed to do them in my first try. But I know a lot of guys were having problem with the drunk dude, so yeah, the next ones are gonna be brutal for them :p

The last two were the easiest to me I passed them like nothing though third guy gave me headaches

Recall

Also those who may not know while doing a sub story if you bring up the map and zoom in, you're more likely to see an exclamation mark pointing you where to go next.

Doesn't always appear but is useful when it does.

The "open world" aspect feels so restricted. Invisible walls everywhere and the weird camera always feels like it's trying to funnel you down a certain direction.

This isn't really an open world game, traditionally speaking. But what it lacks in size it definitely makes up for in detail and amount of content.

mellow

First time playing a Yakuza game (besides the Intro for 4) and really enjoying it. I'm at the start of chapter 3 but spent a while doing a bunch of side stuff, I'm diggin' the story a lot and the sub-stories are really fun and goofy thus far, which has been a nice contrast to the main story. Happy I picked this up.

Frimaire

Yo, I just lapped a little kid in front of his girlfriend. Get fucked, Hideki-Kun.
I feel like a lot of these substories wouldn't be half as funny is Kiryu wasn't the toughest, most Yakuza-looking guy ever.

RiverKwai

Yo, I just lapped a little kid in front of his girlfriend. Get fucked, Hideki-Kun.
I feel like a lot of these substories wouldn't be half as funny is Kiryu wasn't the toughest, most Yakuza-looking guy ever.

I did that yesterday too. I think I actually lapped him on the 6th lap, so I passed him two more times after he stopped.
The whole "she's your girlfriend now" was played for maximum awkwardness. Great payoff tho.

Whoa, what
Majima has a similar item as well.
The last two were the easiest to me I passed them like nothing though third guy gave me headaches
The big guy? Yeah, he managed to land a couple of hits on me as well, but the ability to dodge out of his combo really saved the day for me.
When does the bowling special event start? I'm already in chapter 6 but I can't progress the side quest.
It's tied to Kiryu's real estate activity. For me it was unlocked after beating the first billionaire.

nemisis0

I love this series ever since I picked up yakuza 3 as my first game years ago. Every game always seems to do something amazing for me and they are just great fun.

yeah, if anyone went into this expecting something akin to a western-developed open world game, my efforts were for naught
Exactly, it's not like that at all. It's more of a hub world.

There will be chapters/times where you're restricted in where you can go. Honestly I've never felt the series is restrictive. There's a lot of open buildings too

Top Bottom