• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Do you think they'll change the subtitle of Kiwami in the West to build on the broader appeal 0 seems to be achieving?

I can see it being confusing or off-putting to have a random Japanese word that doesn't convey it's a remake of the first game.

Well, that depends on how much broader it actually is.

Yakuza has historically been so niche that even if 0 doubles-or-triples the sales of the average Yakuza sales in the west, it'd still be volume that probably isn't significant enough to push it with ATL marketing to grab an even broader audience than what Yakuza 0 has done.

If the core of Yakuza's marketing is still influencer/games media-heavy where now there'll be more and more previews/reviews/influencer attention given to a franchise that anecdotally there'll be empty booths at E3, then there's really no harm or need to change the Kiwami branding because the games media who'll promote and push it more will naturally give attention to the audience that it's a remake/sequel to Yakuza 0 and those who liked 0 need to buy Kiwami.

There's really only the need to rebrand Kiwami if Yakuza 0 is successful to the extent where SEGA thinks the franchise is worth another kind of push the same way the very first Yakuza got, where it had big-name English voice actors and a big marketing push to sell itself as a SEGA flagship.

Which is another challenge on its own, since Yakuza Kiwami is still in the same lineage of a cross-gen PS3/PS4 game and may not be a game immediately appealing to a broader market despite it being another good entry point to the series, whereas the more 'modern' Yakuza 6 is a poor starting point due to franchise lineage and it being the final chapter of the protagonist, despite it finally being closer in fidelity and presentation to your standard AAA game on the PS4.

The one downside to Kiwami's original Japanese voices is that people won't get to hear Mark Hamill voice Goro Majima (Yes, this was a thing in the original Yakuza Eng version)

Kyonashi

Well, that depends on how much broader it actually is.

Yakuza has historically been so niche that even if 0 doubles-or-triples the sales of the average Yakuza sales in the west, it'd still be volume that probably isn't significant enough to push it with ATL marketing to grab an even broader audience than what Yakuza 0 has done.

If the core of Yakuza's marketing is still influencer/games media-heavy where now there'll be more and more previews/reviews/influencer attention given to a franchise that anecdotally there'll be empty booths at E3, then there's really no harm or need to change the Kiwami branding because the games media who'll promote and push it more will naturally give attention to the audience that it's a remake/sequel to Yakuza 0 and those who liked 0 need to buy Kiwami.

There's really only the need to rebrand Kiwami if Yakuza 0 is successful to the extent where SEGA thinks the franchise is worth another kind of push the same way the very first Yakuza got, where it had big-name English voice actors and a big marketing push to sell itself as a SEGA flagship.

Which is another challenge on its own, since Yakuza Kiwami is still in the same lineage of a cross-gen PS3/PS4 game and may not be a game immediately appealing to a broader market despite it being another good entry point to the series, whereas the more 'modern' Yakuza 6 is a poor starting point due to franchise lineage and it being the final chapter of the protagonist, despite it finally being closer in fidelity and presentation to your standard AAA game on the PS4.

Whilst I don't see it ever getting proper mainstream appeal, I think a change in subtitle would certainly help bring in new enthusiast gamers who are maybe mildly aware of the franchise and didn't hop on at 0, but maybe heard the buzz about it. In Japan the subtitle connotes that it's a remake - no-one in the West will be able to tell that at first glance.

Problem is I can't think of an elegant way to adjust the title to give the same connotation...

I mean, the series is already called "Yakuza" in the west. People with no interest in Japan and who ignore games with "strange foreign names" will give it a pass already. People still there after reading "Yakuza" won't be turned off by the word following it.

Most people know what Yakuza means, it's similar to calling your game Mafia III. I had to look up the meaning of Kiwami. I just feel like it could be confused as a spin-off or something when they game should be clearly saying "this is a remake of the first game in the series". The fewer barriers there are to understanding, the less a potential new consumer would be put off.

gfxtwin

I'm getting hyped about Yakuza 6 so much now, especially since Beat Takeshi is in it. But I hope it is an evolution of the formula instead of more of the same since it's built for the PS4. Anyone play it yet?

One day, Sega needs to make a truly open world Yakuza. Maybe not as big as GTA5 but maybe about the size of GTA3. The core gameplay is there - getting into fights, walking into shops and buying stuff, playing arcade games, dancing, other minigames, etc - but with a truly open world-sized map. And you get a gun (don't Yakuza have guns? I know gun laws are strict in Japan, but they aren't exactly law-abiding citizens) and have to worry about the police, you can drive to your destination, etc. And instead of getting into fights with random ruffians, it could be with rival gangs (why would random dudes keep fucking with Yakuza? Makes no sense).

They don't need to make it too much like modern GTA, but if it is open world enough and has driving and more variety of weapons it could still feel like a Yakuza game while also being an alternative/Japan's answer to GTA. So much potential for this already fantastic game to open up in scale and go from a niche title to something that could be as highly regarded as GTA. Similar to how everyone knew about The Witcher series after part 3 became open world.

Thoughts?

OmegaDL50

I think one of Yakuza's strengths is that it doesn't try to ape other games and mainly does it's own thing which is refreshing because there are a ton of games that push for open world design and stuff which detract from the originality the game had.

I'd much rather Yakuza remain as Yakuza, and not simply become Japanese GTA.

Whoa, I'd never played Fantasy Zone before but this game is incredible???

3 is on PS3 as well. 3-5 don't really need remakes at all tbh. They still look and play fine. If they ported them to PS4 that'd be cool, but they don't really need to do anything to them

2 is the only game that needs to be remade

Tbh they are a bit rough around the edges, especially the frame-rate when walking around town.
A port just with native 1080p and 60fps would go a really long way but I doubt it's happening.

I'm getting hyped about Yakuza 6 so much now, especially since Beat Takeshi is in it. But I hope it is an evolution of the formula instead of more of the same since it's built for the PS4. Anyone play it yet?

One day, Sega needs to make a truly open world Yakuza. Maybe not as big as GTA5 but maybe about the size of GTA3. The core gameplay is there - getting into fights, walking into shops and buying stuff, playing arcade games, dancing, other minigames, etc - but with a truly open world-sized map. And you get a gun (don't Yakuza have guns? I know gun laws are strict in Japan, but they aren't exactly law-abiding citizens) and have to worry about the police, you can drive to your destination, etc. They don't need to make it too much like modern GTA, but if it is open world enough and has driving and more variety of weapons it could still feel like a Yakuza game while also being an alternative/Japan's answer to GTA. So much potential for this already fantastic game to open up in scale and go from a niche title to something that could be as highly regarded as GTA. Similar to how everyone knew about The Witcher series after part 3 became open world.

Thoughts?
There are a few people here who have already played 6, check out the Yakuza Community thread for more details as they'll probably be hanging out there.

The Yakuza series so far is a unique thing in many ways. One of them is the fact that the series is undoubtedly Japanese and targets the Japanese audience which is why it manages to create a world so rich and realistic. But considering the amount of sales the series gets, it never could have pulled it off if it wasn't for the brazen asset reuse and the limited budget that they have. RGG games don't have insanely high budgets and a game much like what you're proposing can ONLY be made with a higher budget, which brings the requirement of more sales which the series might not be able to pull off.

I feel like the series is in a good place right now, and the more dense and smaller open world is part of the charm for me. There are so many open world games out there but all of them have guns. This is the one game where the focus is primarily on the melee.
I think one of Yakuza's strengths is that it doesn't try to ape other games and mainly does it's own thing which is refreshing because there are a ton of games that push for open world design and stuff which detract from the originality the game had.

Exactly. Heck if anything, I want a western answer to the yakuza series :D

Sleeping Dogs was a great effort but there are still so many possibilities.

Problem is I can't think of an elegant way to adjust the title to give the same connotation...

Yeah, no easy solution comes to mind.

Personally if asked to change, I'll go the R&C route just have to be [Yakuza] and sell it fundamentally as a sequel to 0 and a new game, without trying to harp too heavily that it's a remake with the Kiwami branding.

I see the following possibilities.

a. Keep Yakuza Kiwami branding.
b. Remove Kiwami and just have it as [Yakuza]
c. Change the Kiwami name to Remake and have it as [Yakuza: Remake]
d. Rename it as [Yakuza 1: Kiwami]

gfxtwin

I mean, it could still retain it's quirky core gameplay and identity. It just seems like a missed opportunity to not expand it into a more GTA-sized game eventually, at least as an experiment. Look at how successful and improved (from a gameplay standpoint) The Witcher 3 was when it was open-world. And it didn't feel like a Skyrim ripoff, either. If an open world Yakuza game still had the densley populated environments with tons of minigames and most of the combat being the fighting system from previous games, with some occasional gunfights (maybe guns and ammo are scarce, it is Japan after all) it could have massive appeal. And it would be a bit more compelling from a gameplay perspective as long as the things that make a Yakuza game a Yakuza game are still there as well.

datwr

One day, Sega needs to make a truly open world Yakuza. Maybe not as big as GTA5 but maybe about the size of GTA3. The core gameplay is there - getting into fights, walking into shops and buying stuff, playing arcade games, dancing, other minigames, etc - but with a truly open world-sized map. And you get a gun (don't Yakuza have guns? I know gun laws are strict in Japan, but they aren't exactly law-abiding citizens) and have to worry about the police, you can drive to your destination, etc. They don't need to make it too much like modern GTA, but if it is open world enough and has driving and more variety of weapons it could still feel like a Yakuza game while also being an alternative/Japan's answer to GTA. So much potential for this already fantastic game to open up in scale and go from a niche title to something that could be as highly regarded as GTA. Similar to how everyone knew about The Witcher series after part 3 became open world.

Thoughts?

Making more like GTA is the last thing I would want from Yakuza. And I dont know if making more open world would make it better in any way. Several iconic locations I think works way better. A small tightly packed map with things to do at every corner is much more enjoyable then a large empty world like most open worlds games.

And Yakuza is a brawler/fighting game, adding gunplay to that would just destroy that in my opinion. The guns in the series at the moment I think is stupid enough, a gun shot in combat takes a sliver of health of, while in cut scenes totally kills everyone. They should just stay in cutscenes as weapons of importance and power.

OmegaDL50

Doesn't Kiwami basically translate to Ultimate or Extreme.

So wouldn't Yakuza 1: Ultimate suffice, indicating it's the defacto version of Yakuza 1.

Rymuth

Yakuza is primarily centered and set around the night life and the 'Pleasure Districts' of Japan where the Yakuza are drawn to and operate in. Making the franchise an open-world Japan-sim would ultimately betray that concept.

Plus, the rest of Tokyo has nowhere near as much personality as Kamurocho not to mention we've seen the series tackle 'normal' looking cities (Sapporo) and the result was boring.

Any good early game tips/ways to get money etc? Just about to start up after all the other January games.
You're gonna be strapped for cash early on. It's when you get the side businesses for your characters that the real flow of money starts.

Doesn't Kiwami basically translate to Ultimate or Extreme.

So wouldn't Yakuza 1: Ultimate suffice, indicating it's the defacto version of Yakuza 1.
This is good.

Yeah, no easy solution comes to mind.

Personally if asked to change, I'll go the R&C route just have to be [Yakuza] and sell it fundamentally as a sequel to 0 and a new game, without trying to harp too heavily that it's a remake with the Kiwami branding.

I see the following possibilities.

a. Keep Yakuza Kiwami branding.
b. Remove Kiwami and just have it as [Yakuza]
c. Change the Kiwami name to Remake and have it as [Yakuza: Remake]
d. Rename it as [Yakuza 1: Kiwami]

i vote for yakuza 1: renew! sums things up nicely, imo :) ...

edit: yeah, yakuza 1: ultimate works well, too!...

I've Google'd this and still can't find an answer. I know I am probably being stupid here but where is the Hang On and Fantasy Zone arcade games? All I have found is Space Harrier and Outrun, and I've completed all of their relevant challenges.

datwr

Any good early game tips/ways to get money etc? Just about to start up after all the other January games.

I dont remember how early you meet MR Shakedown, and if hes actually part of the story or you just run into him, but you can farm him the moment you meet him.

I've Google'd this and still can't find an answer. I know I am probably being stupid here but where is the Hang On and Fantasy Zone arcade games? All I have found is Space Harrier and Outrun, and I've completed all of their relevant challenges.
You need to
complete the friendship for the girls at the SEGA arcade.

Majima's gets you Fantasy Zone, and Kiryu's gets you Hang On.

For Majima, play Space Harrier to start and for Kiryu, play Outrun to start. (Don't quit, just pop a credit in and die and then quit the game)

Sorry to ask again, can someone fix my avatar up with a Yakuza supporter logo please.
Send a PM to Son of Sparda. He's done them for darn near everyone.

gfxtwin

Yakuza is primarily centered and set around the night life and the 'Pleasure Districts' of Japan where the Yakuza are drawn to and operate in. Making the franchise an open-world Japan-sim would ultimately betray that concept.

Plus, the rest of Tokyo has nowhere near as much personality as Kamurocho not to mention we've seen the series tackle 'normal' looking cities (Sapporo) and the result was boring.

This is a good point, Yakuza are usually in those districts running hotels and whatnot. It would be a bit less immersive, a bit less focused unless it was pulled off perfectly, and that's difficult to do and I can;t really think of any open world crime games with the scope of GTA that were anywhere near as successful as GTA, so it would also be a gamble. It might be perceived as just another Sleeping Dogs by the west.

Anyway, just a thought. I still love the way the series is now and how focused the experience is and the way it brings in the Sega nostalgia, just want tit to be as successful as possible I guess.

I'm still early in and it's my first Yakuza game. The ONLY thing that really bugs me is how often you get into fights. The combat is fun, but how/why so many nobodies try to pick fights with Yakuza all the time is beyond me, haha. Rival gangs, I'd understand, but in the world of Yakuza 0 it's like everyone and their two friends wants to pick a fight with gangsters lmao.

Hero my man. Thank you.

Can't say I am a big fan of that. I have stalled the brakes on the main story (just got to chapter 3) and the friendships have to build over time, thus you are sort of "unlocking" them. Since there are challenge related, I want to do them right away. I always do challenges for 100% during the game, and not after I have finished the story.

Also, since I have completed Space Harrier as Kiryu, I wouldn't have even played it as Majima if I didn't know you had to unlock them.

One day, Sega needs to make a truly open world Yakuza. Maybe not as big as GTA5 but maybe about the size of GTA3. The core gameplay is there - getting into fights, walking into shops and buying stuff, playing arcade games, dancing, other minigames, etc - but with a truly open world-sized map. And you get a gun (don't Yakuza have guns? I know gun laws are strict in Japan, but they aren't exactly law-abiding citizens) and have to worry about the police, you can drive to your destination, etc. And instead of getting into fights with random ruffians, it could be with rival gangs (why would random dudes keep fucking with Yakuza? Makes no sense).

They don't need to make it too much like modern GTA, but if it is open world enough and has driving and more variety of weapons it could still feel like a Yakuza game while also being an alternative/Japan's answer to GTA. So much potential for this already fantastic game to open up in scale and go from a niche title to something that could be as highly regarded as GTA. Similar to how everyone knew about The Witcher series after part 3 became open world.

Thoughts?

No. I don't want the series to turn into yet another driving and shooting game. Sleeping Dogs did that idea well, but its not Yakuza. I don't want big cities that require cars to get round. I'd rather have it more like Shenmue 2 where you have several different areas interconnected - a shopping district, red light district, and more residential districts (Hiroshima in 6 in wonderful in that way). I prefer to explore on foot, its part of the charm of the series - exploring extensively and visiting each shop/play spot.

And I'm seriously against them bringing in guns more than they already have done. A huge part of the series for me is the hand to hand combat, guns are ok for pick ups here and there (and you can buy them in the series, if you know where to find them) but I don't want a bigger focus on them. I'd rather they go in a different direction and follow up on the ideas they started to implement in 5 to Shinada - in that he's actually quite the expert with different varieties of weapons - have you be able to become more proficient in different weapons and have more expansive moves lists for said weapons - Kali Sticks, Spears, Swords etc. I'd be far more welcome to that idea.

As for 6 as a whole. Something tells me you might not like it since it could be argued that it regresses rather than progresses: It loses part of Kamuracho, several weapons and the moves list in some ways feels more basic (your missing a few moves compared to 5). Also, several play spots that were previous mainstays of the series (Bowling, Shogi, UFO Crane Game) are absent. Then again you do get a greatly expanded arcade (especially compared to Kiwami's anaemic offering) and several new play spots that I really enjoyed. But its clear that the jump to making a brand new engine for 6 meant they had to drop a few things due to time constraints. Hopefully whatever game next uses the engine will manage to build on the awesome engine they have now.

That said though, ending on a positive note about 6 - it looks beautiful (especially at night), the lack of load screens outside of some playspots make a huge difference (it'll be hard to go back) and I do love how the combat feels now, the weightyness to it, and the physics do add to fights, and some of the new heat moves are excellent. Its not perfect but I still love it, but I expect it to be referred to the "Yakuza 3" of the PS4 series assuming we get a couple more that build on the engine.

OmegaDL50

This is a good point, Yakuza are usually in those districts running hotels and whatnot. It would be a bit less immersive, a bit less focused unless it was pulled off perfectly, and that's difficult to do and I can;t really think of any open world crime games with the scope of GTA that were anywhere near as successful as GTA, so it would also be a gamble. It might be perceived as just another Sleeping Dogs by the west.

Anyway, just a thought. I still love the way the series is now and how focused the experience is and the way it brings in the Sega nostalgia, just want tit to be as successful as possible I guess.

I'm still early in and it's my first Yakuza game. The ONLY thing that really bugs me is how often you get into fights. The combat is fun, but how/why so many nobodies try to pick fights with Yakuza all the time is beyond me, haha.

Consider them like random encounters in a traditional JRPG more or less. The random thug groups spawn throughout the streets and are there to just pick fights for the sake of it.

gfxtwin

No. I don't want the series to turn into yet another driving and shooting game. Sleeping Dogs did that idea well, but its not Yakuza. I don't want big cities that require cars to get round. I'd rather have it more like Shenmue 2 where you have several different areas interconnected - a shopping district, red light district, and more residential districts (Hiroshima in 6 in wonderful in that way). I prefer to explore on foot, its part of the charm of the series - exploring extensively and visiting each shop/play spot.

And I'm seriously against them bringing in guns more than they already have done. A huge part of the series for me is the hand to hand combat, guns are ok for pick ups here and there (and you can buy them in the series, if you know where to find them) but I don't want a bigger focus on them. I'd rather they go in a different direction and follow up on the ideas they started to implement in 5 to Shinada - in that he's actually quite the expert with different varieties of weapons - have you be able to become more proficient in different weapons and have more expansive moves lists for said weapons - Kali Sticks, Spears, Swords etc. I'd be far more welcome to that idea.

As for 6 as a whole. Something tells me you might not like it since it could be argued that it regresses rather than progresses: It loses part of Kamuracho, several weapons and the moves list in some ways feels more basic (your missing a few moves compared to 5). Also, several play spots that were previous mainstays of the series (Bowling, Shogi, UFO Crane Game) are absent. Then again you do get a greatly expanded arcade (especially compared to Kiwami's anaemic offering) and several new play spots that I really enjoyed. But its clear that the jump to making a brand new engine for 6 meant they had to drop a few things due to time constraints. Hopefully whatever game next uses the engine will manage to build on the awesome engine they have now.

That said though, ending on a positive note about 6 - it looks beautiful (especially at night), the lack of load screens outside of some playspots make a huge difference (it'll be hard to go back) and I do love how the combat feels now, the weightyness to it, and the physics do add to fights, and some of the new heat moves are excellent. Its not perfect but I still love it, but I expect it to be referred to the "Yakuza 3" of the PS4 series assuming we get a couple more that build on the engine.

If 0 is the only Yakuza game I've played, and I play the remake of 1 and go straight to 6 IYO will it potentially feel like a step back and could it be confusing from a story perspective?

gfxtwin

Consider them like random encounters in a traditional JRPG more or less. The random thug groups spawn throughout the streets and are there to just pick fights for the sake of it.

I guess IMO it just seems like it would make more sense if you fought far less random thugs and far more rival gang members.

If 0 is the only Yakuza game I've played, and I play the remake of 1 and go straight to 6 IYO will it potentially feel like a step back and could it be confusing from a story perspective?

Nah. Pretty much all Yakuza games are their own story and don't interconnect that much. They do a good job on catching you up on what's happened before if there is a connection.

For Yakuza 6, there are a few characters that you won't "appreciate" since you won't know them but they're not that crucial to the story. The story mainly takes place with new characters. obviously if you have the time to go play Y4 and Y5 (don't need to play Y3 IMO) then that would be great but you're certainly not missing out on much and what you are missing out on isn't really story related anyway.

I guess IMO it just seems like it would make more sense if you fought far less random thugs and far more rival gang members.
Oddly enough, you don't actually play as a formal and current Yakuza member in most of the Yakuza games. It's always EX Yakuza, cop, dude that doesn't have anything to do with Yakuza, EX Baseball player, Teenage idol.

Depends. Story wise you'll be mainly ok. 6 does take the ending of 5 and carry on from there, but they do replay the ending cutscenes for Kiryu and Haruka at the beginning of 6 so you should mostly be up to speed. It'll make more sense of course if you've played 5, but that's up to you. You won't be lost if you go from 1 to 6 lets put it that way (the series is great at doing self contained stories for each game).

Gameplay wise, that's a tough one. Bar the fighting arena being missing I didn't really shed a tear for the cut mini games because all the ones I wanted to be included turned up in 6, and they were all improved.
The combat is a tricky one as I do love how it handles now, and the lack of loading means you can take fights to areas that you could never do so before which is a great novelty (for example I could never do this in any previous game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YORs-pdLAhA) but at the same time the game is missing many weapons from previous games that I really liked, along with having a reduced moves list compared to 0/Kiwami (you have one fighting style in 6, not 4).

So... maybe you'll find it a step back? Its hard to say, I do get the feeling it'll be a love/hate sequel when it is released in English though.

As long as you've played Yakuza 1, it's not to bad to go to 6 from there.

Ideally we would've gotten a Yakuza 2 Kiwami in-between to give us one more game to bond with Haruka, but the general idea stays.

Rymuth

Kiryu reactions to the amount of money is always funny, as Im running around with billions of yen in my pocket :p
This allowed me to fulfill my lifelong dream of pulling off this moment :3

0bb281586442340009a011df25b08806.gif

Again, even though I wouldn't earn as much as the real estate, I just love the cabaret minigame too much. Need to recruit more hostesses and finally ranked up.

-GJ-

I'd really love to play this game, but I'm unable to get it because of an unexpected bill. Sadly, I see shops are already selling out all over the Netherlands. Do we know if this gets a reprint? Else I should just go digital in a couple months I guess.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'd really love to play this game, but I'm unable to get it because of an unexpected bill. Sadly, I see shops are already selling out all over the Netherlands. Do we know if this gets a reprint? Else I should just go digital in a couple months I guess.
since there is a "launch edition" in the states that certainly suggests that there will be continued runs of the game.

All jokes aside, when are they going to release the cabaret mini game on phone. Spent a handful of hours on as well as property tycoon with kiriyu.

Fhtagn

You need to
complete the friendship for the girls at the SEGA arcade.

Majima's gets you Fantasy Zone, and Kiryu's gets you Hang On.

For Majima, play Space Harrier to start and for Kiryu, play Outrun to start. (Don't quit, just pop a credit in and die and then quit the game)

Do you have to be at a certain chapter for this? I've played a lot of Outrun...

Also is there a list of Yakuza games and the arcade games available in them?

I love the "let's Harrier!" cutscene and I was daydreaming about a "Yakuza Arcade Classics" game that Sega could make that structured an Arcade compilation around a Yakuza style story of intrigue and competition between different arcades in town... the idea of an alternate version of the story where Kiryu abandons his path to take up a serious gaming hobby is pretty amusing to me. M2 has already ported so many classics, it'd be great to get those available on the PS4 somehow.

hbkdx12

Can anyone explain (fighting spoiler)
Dragon of Dojima?

Is it it's own fighting style or is it suppose to be like some kind of enhancement on top of the fighting style you're currently using?

Dragon of Dojima?

Is it it's own fighting style or is it suppose to be like some kind of enhancement on top of the fighting style you're currently using?

It's a fourth fighting style. Majima also has one.

Dragon of Dojima?

Fourth style

If it's familiar,
It's basically an evolution of Kiryu's brawler style, one reflective of the main style he uses in Yakuza games moving forward.

Top Bottom