• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Is the business edition of the game becoming rare fast? I was going to wait to pick this up, but I wasn't sure if the business edition will be reprinted?

SxP

Mr. Shakedown is a fantastic addition to the game. So many classic NOPE moments.

LnqEd0b.gif

Someone should make this gif for Yakuza 0 and Mr. Shakedown.

Clive

In the real estate quest line, is there a key to taking over the
Pleasure King District
? I have all the stores and
I beat her at the phone sex minigame
but nothing new happens. Getting a bit tired of running to that corner to fend off people interfering with my business.

Is the business edition of the game becoming rare fast? I was going to wait to pick this up, but I wasn't sure if the business edition will be reprinted?

From what I understand, and if IIRC someone from Sega said if you want a physical copy then you're better off preordering to ensure the physical copy, and that only first print copies would be "The Business Edition".

Ultimadrago

Mr. Shakedown is a fantastic addition to the game. So many classic NOPE moments.

LnqEd0b.gif

Someone should make this gif for Yakuza 0 and Mr. Shakedown.

Yeah, only thing is that he never runs after you (more like a power walk if you're very close) so if you want to avoid them you're never in too much of a tight spot. He has definitely made me take alternate routes though!

From what I understand, and if IIRC someone from Sega said if you want a physical copy then you're better off preordering to ensure the physical copy, and that only first print copies would be "The Business Edition".

Ah alright. I see some Best Buy's around me have it. I'll probably go hunting for the business one when they open

Past

Do you think they'll change the subtitle of Kiwami in the West to build on the broader appeal 0 seems to be achieving?

I can see it being confusing or off-putting to have a random Japanese word that doesn't convey it's a remake of the first game.

They should definitely change it. Look at how many people are confused about Yakuza 0, asking what it is and if it's a good place to start . Yakuza Kiwami is going to be 10x worse. People are going to assume it's a spin-off or something. They should call it Yakuza Remake or Yakuza Extreme Remake if they want to keep the "extreme" subtitle.

convo

In the real estate quest line, is there a key to taking over the
Pleasure King District
? I have all the stores and
I beat her at the phone sex minigame
but nothing new happens. Getting a bit tired of running to that corner to fend off people interfering with my business.

i'd think you up your share percentage by buying all the places there and keep upgrading those until it hits like 90% and another thing will happen.

Clive

i'd think you up your share percentage by buying all the places there and keep upgrading those until it hits like 90% and another thing will happen.

Thanks. Didn't realize upgrading increased that. At 75% so it's gonna take a while.

So what's the best way to get environmental finishing moves? Grabbing them and pressing triangle for the heat move? Or grabbing them and trying to throw them into the urinal or over the ledge or whatever?

Edit: also I indeed got wrecked in my first encounter with the infamous Mr. Shakedown.

So what's the best way to get environmental finishing moves? Grabbing them and pressing triangle for the heat move? Or grabbing them and trying to throw them into the urinal or over the ledge or whatever?
Grab them and get as close as possible then press triangle when the icon pops up.

convo

Lol "I Heart Nishiki". Let see how this postcard substory goes....

The way Kiryu writes those letters is so adorable. He knows how ridiculous his life experiences are and he's almost proud of how they make for great stories. I love how doing all the sub-stories pays off in the game.

Vexii

I just realized where the Empty Lot is and what it means in respect to the other games.

Oh shit, now it dawned on me

I feel like a complete dummy for not remembering, but what happens in the previous games that makes this Lot so important?

For reference, I've played all the way up until (the beginning of?) a certain character (
Seijima
) in Yakuza 5.

Menitta

I feel like a complete dummy for not remembering, but what happens in the previous games that makes this Lot so important?

For reference, I've played all the way up until (the beginning of?) a certain character (
Seijima
) in Yakuza 5.

The lot is right in the middle of where
the Millennium Tower is.

Hiltz

I loaded up my save file after it says load completed, but then the tv screen goes black, anyone having a similar problem with Yakuza 0?

Xyber

Well, bought a PS4 earlier than expected so I could play this and so far it's been worth it. Combat has taken a bit to get used to, but some more time with it and a bunch of upgrades should make it better.

Some screen tearing here and there that is annoying me, but otherwise it looks good and runs great.

Is the Heat meter in Rush stance used for any moves, or does it just make you do more damage?
It just makes you faster and it doesn't have much Heat moves(some are unlocked later though) but there is one when you dizzy a enemy first(punch combo, weave in, punch combo, etc will make them dizzy quick). Once dizzy, activate the Heat move which is basically a super punch that sends the guy flying into enemies behind him. Also there's some Heat moves on the ground.

AEREC

This is my first Yakuza game and damn it's good. Only just finished Chapter 1 and the writing, presentation, and story is pretty impressive.

Astarte

Do people have trouble with Mr showdown? He's so easy! I'm in chapter 4 and I have 4 billion on majima and 2 billion on kiryu. If you do have trouble just invest in slime shotguns and shoot him

I really don't like crafting in video games and the Yakuza series is no different, but damn, the music that plays when you're sending agents to scavenge for parts is worth the trouble.

I just started Chapter 2 and so far I am having a great time with the game. I noticed that there are sub-stories in the game (as part of a trophy). Are these obvious when they appear? Like a side mission type setup?

I just started Chapter 2 and so far I am having a great time with the game. I noticed that there are sub-stories in the game (as part of a trophy). Are these obvious when they appear? Like a side mission type setup?

You randomly stumble across a lot of those as you're walking around. Some require you to shop at certain places or do certain activities to trigger them. Like, I just triggered a subquest in chapter 3 by playing Space Harrier at the Arcades.

As far as I know, there are no missable substories.

Yeah, though they're not indicated on the map. You just have to stumble into them, unless you follow a guide

You'll find a tonne of them organically though

Yeah, though they're not indicated on the map. You just have to stumble into them, unless you follow a guide

You'll find a tonne of them organically though

You randomly stumble across a lot of those as you're walking around. Some require you to shop at certain places or do certain activities to trigger them. Like, I just triggered a subquest in chapter 3 by playing Space Harrier at the Arcades.

As far as I know, there are no missable substories.

Cheers!

So, once they appear, they are there for the rest of the game?

Speaking of substories though...what *is* the point of befriending people? In Yakuza 4 NPC's that you befriended would support you in battle if they were nearby, but I haven't seen that happen here yet.

danowat

Banned
Do people have trouble with Mr showdown? He's so easy! I'm in chapter 4 and I have 4 billion on majima and 2 billion on kiryu. If you do have trouble just invest in slime shotguns and shoot him
I'm just too impatient to chip away at his health and get greedy, which usually (always) ends up in my demise.

Speaking of substories though...what *is* the point of befriending people? In Yakuza 4 NPC's that you befriended would support you in battle if they were nearby, but I haven't seen that happen here yet.

They help you during your main side activity. For Kiryu they show up as guards, advisors and managers. Guards also help you during combat if you are in the same area that you have assigned them.

Befriending some people will have you unlock them (as Kiryu) as managers and security for your growing property empire. If you have a security guard in an area and you get in a fight, your security will jump in and help you in battles.
As Majima you can befriend many women and then have them become hostesses in your hostess club.

Ultimadrago

While it doesn't apply to everyone you befriend, there are two different substory contributions from Kiryu's side I'm seeing thus far.

A. Befriending allows you to gain a property for free (required to dominate a territory).
B. If you do a Substory for someone you have chosen be a Security Guard for you, they will sometimes join you in battle.

I don't know about Majima's yet as I haven't gotten that far.

Edit: Beaten like Kuze

Labrys

I'm not too far into this, but it's my first Yakuza and I'm really liking it so far.
I really should be doing the objective though. I'm currently stuck in the Sega arcade, I have all the UFO prizes I've seen so far except for that stupid grey squirrel oh my god it keeps falling out of the grabber im going INSANE

8bit

Knows the Score
The
car shootout
can fuck right off, the controls are bad and the heat action is more of a hindrance than a help.

Top Bottom