• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Kiryu knows he needs that booze to power up his attack. He can't let it settle and pass through his system.

Move it or lose it, as the saying goes.

Nah man, you don't gulp down Yamazaki 12 year. Even a Yakuza needs chill time.

One thing about this game, it's going to make going back to high school with Persona 5 much harder. This is the kind of Persona game I want; adults with adult problems/situations. With demons, of course.

Aki-at

Nationally I'm 16th or there abouts on Space Harrier on my first attempt.

I need to push harder and break into that top ten. Also need to try and up my game at Outrun, I always get too cocky on the bends.

Sarek

Whats the thing with all those people standing around giving free paper towels, or something like that? Feel like I'm missing a joke or Japanese culture reference.

Aki-at

Whats the thing with all those people standing around giving free paper towels, or something like that? Feel like I'm missing a joke or Japanese culture reference.

In Japan they hand out tissues with whatever game/book/company is looking to get advertised. It's an effective marketing tool since you'll actually need it more then a flyer :p

The pocket tissues? It's a common practice in Japan for businesses to offer passersby pocket tissues with advertising included on the packaging.

JJShadow

Finished Chapter 1, played a bit of Chapter 2. The game is amazing, the story is very interesting and I really enjoy the way they present it to us.

At this point are all the sidequests and activities already unlocked? Or does this happen at a certain part of the story?

Certain sidequests and activities (like the real estate management or cabaret club) unlocks at certain chapters or just by progressing in the story, but in Chapter 2 you can already explore Kamurocho looking for sidequests and play most of the minigames

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue 5 is the best and 3 is at least unique and memorable for the setting, even if I never want to replay that again.

Yes, the whole big Yakuza family is awesome.

They're all great but I don't think folks will ever agree about the order lol.

Yakuza 2, 0 and 3 are my favourites I'm really looking forward to playing Kiwami with the proper japanese voice acting too.

What I really want is 3 redone with all of the side content kept in :(

xezuru

Im at the final cutscenes but Im thinking 2, 0=1, 4, 3, 5. Gonna have to replay one now because god this shit was fantastic, and havent played 1 in years to remember which one is higher on the list, prolly 0.

Im at the final cutscenes but Im thinking 2, 0=1, 4, 3, 5. Gonna have to replay one now because god this shit was fantastic, and havent played 1 in years to remember which one is higher on the list, prolly 0.

1 has not dated too well since there's been so many QoL improvements since then from the series, it's really the story and characters that still carry 1 as being one of the best (story wise that is). The upcoming remake will improve things exponentially thankfully since such a good storyline will be implanted on to a good engine with 0's improvements and probably more since it was made after 0.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I'm curious about with Kiwami, Yakuza 1 was all about Kazuma, is the remake still all about controlling Kazuma only ? I had heard all the styles are in that were in 0 but if you don't play as Majima then I don't see how unless they just give them all to Kiryu.

JJShadow

r3zjxjl.gif

Is this game any awesome? Yeah, it is so awesome

Oh God that chapter 6 ending. The feels man, the feels.

Nishiki is a real bro in this game. Did not expect to become so emotional during one of his scenes T_T

Ragona

25 hours in, chapter 7 now and Iam sure its the first game to end up in my top 10 list. Also watched some Yakuza 6 videos and holy shit that looks amazing. Just dont know if i should also play the Yakuza 1 remake or if 3 60+ hours Yakuza games within one year may be a bit too much.

I can't seem to do the backwards grab on a rail heat move. I think it's called Essence of Styx. I can do the suplex no problem so I know the object counts as a rail but it doesn't work from behind.

StereoVsn

They're all great but I don't think folks will ever agree about the order lol.

Yakuza 2, 0 and 3 are my favourites I'm really looking forward to playing Kiwami with the proper japanese voice acting too.

What I really want is 3 redone with all of the side content kept in :(
Well maybe Zero and Kiwami turn out to be resounding success and Sega will bring PS4 port of 3 to the US with all the cut content reinstated. There is always a chance!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'd argue 5 is the best and 3 is at least unique and memorable for the setting, even if I never want to replay that again.

Yes, the whole big Yakuza family is awesome.
what do you feel makes 5 better than 4?

StereoVsn

25 hours in, chapter 7 now and Iam sure its the first game to end up in my top 10 list. Also watched some Yakuza 6 videos and holy shit that looks amazing. Just dont know if i should also play the Yakuza 1 remake or if 3 60+ hours Yakuza games within one year may be a bit too much.
Yakuza 1 Kiwami is excellent. It's as good as Zero I would say. The story is great as well (not quite as great as Yakuza 2 but pretty damn awesome). Plus going from Zero you will have a lot more appreciation of events in 1.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
this is about my ranking but 4 and 1 are interchangeable for me. haven't played enough of 0 to put it that high but first impressions are much better than 3&5

A question for old time Yakuza fans who have finished Kiryu's real estate activity.
The Dragon of Dojima style doesn't seem to have tiger drop in it. Is that right? I was really looking forward to that :(

I completed it through the last route (e?) but I was doing it during a challenge in Kiryu's real estate activity so it didn't submit my score for leaderboard :(

I honestly don't remember. I know its a bonus style so story canon shouldn't matter, but bearing in mind that
Kiryu doesn't interact with Komaki at all in this game he may be short the Komaki moves completely :( Don't worry, when you get them in Kiwami you become hilariously overpowered - like being able to clear the toughest arena battle in under a minute, tiger drop a couple of times for huge points and a quick victory!

One thing I'm curious about with Kiwami, Yakuza 1 was all about Kazuma, is the remake still all about controlling Kazuma only ? I had heard all the styles are in that were in 0 but if you don't play as Majima then I don't see how unless they just give them all to Kiryu.

Supposedly...
we play as Nishiki in Kiwami! :O

Definitely play Kiwami. The story in that game is really amazing and especially coming off of Zero, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

I honestly don't remember. I know its a bonus style so story canon shouldn't matter, but bearing in mind that
Kiryu doesn't interact with Komaki at all in this game he may be short the Komaki moves completely :( Don't worry, when you get them in Kiwami you become hilariously overpowered - like being able to clear the toughest arena battle in under a minute, tiger drop a couple of times for huge points and a quick victory!
Thanks for the answer, Shadow.
Ah, that's a shame. As you know I really like that move (lol, who doesn't?) so I was hoping that they somehow sneaked it in, even if it didn't make any sense story-wise. Well, I guess that's just another reason to get more excited for Kiwami!
Supposedly...
we play as Nishiki in Kiwami! :O
No, we don't. IIRC he just gets a few extra scenes.
I'm really enjoying the small cameos in Yakuza 0. Disco sidequest:
Ogita (the 3rd dancing rival) is Haruka's dance teacher in 5, I thought that was really neat.
Wait until you actually have dance against him.... ugh, I hate that guy.

I'm really enjoying the small cameos in Yakuza 0. Disco sidequest:
Ogita (the 3rd dancing rival) is Haruka's dance teacher in 5, I thought that was really neat.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

For me, I enjoyed the story more, the sidequests more and I prefer Kazuma in 5 over his little part in 4. He's my favourite character from the whole series (and I adore his main arc from 0 - 3) and it's why I'm looking forward to 6 greatly since we're back to only playing as him. Saejima and Akiyamas parts where more entertaining in 5 as well for me too. I also really liked playing as Haruka compared to say Tanimura in 4.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
OK so after completing the
Real Estate
story I've unlocked

The fourth style, the Dragon Of Dojima. I notice that it also has locked portions in its skilltree like the others. How do you remove the locks ?

xezuru

OK so after completing the
Real Estate
story I've unlocked

The fourth style, the Dragon Of Dojima. I notice that it also has locked portions in its skilltree like the others. How do you remove the locks ?

Shrines let you use CP points to unlock outer tiers of that Style, very end game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I agree with what the other poster said, the story was more interesting and the locales were a lot more unique and varied. That whole mountain area stuff was pretty amazing, same with Harukas parts. I felt that each successive Yakuza game improved and added layers to the games before it, but Y5 just threw that out of the window and did something completely else. Y0 for comparison doesnt do anything even remotely as out there as multiple parts of Y5, which is still perfectly fine, but thats why Y5 is my favourite.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Shrines let you use CP points to unlock outer tiers of that Style, very end game.

Brilliant thank you :)
I've literally only got 3 or 4 things left to unlock for CP but unfortuanately it's like 30CP for one, 40CP for another etc

JPS Kai

A question for old time Yakuza fans who have finished Kiryu's real estate activity.
The Dragon of Dojima style doesn't seem to have tiger drop in it. Is that right? I was really looking forward to that :(

I completed it through the last route (e?) but I was doing it during a challenge in Kiryu's real estate activity so it didn't submit my score for leaderboard :(

Not that I've seen, but
Tiger Drop IS in the game. Get prepared for Jo Amon to give it to you.

Finalow

can't tell if Shogi is really hard or if I'm just really bad at it, probably both. I played 4-5 games against the lowest ranked guy and I couldn't even get close to win once.

at least it's easy to get 5 wins if you keep doing the first challenge.

Just spent 30 million yens on parts for my Pocket Racer. I don't regret a bit
it gets EXPENSIVE

it's worth it, though. pocket racer is the best
can't tell if Shogi is really hard or if I'm just really bad at it, probably both. I played 4-5 games against the lowest ranked guy and I couldn't even get close to win once.

at least it's easy to get 5 wins if you keep doing the first challenge.
I've never understood Shogi

or mahjong really :(

I might have to just look up a bunch of stuff to know enough to get the CP points

Top Bottom