• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Last night I equipped a "specific item" on Kiryu. I noticed random enemies in the street became extremely hard. So hard, that I could barely manage to get up during fights because I was being knocked down so much. I wasn't sure if it was just a specific section, but after reading the description of the item, I figured it caused enemies to go crazy.

Sorry for being vague, I just don't wanna spoil it for people. Be sure to read item descriptions before equipping stuff folks. lol.

Last night I equipped a "specific item" on Kiryu. I noticed random enemies in the street became extremely hard. So hard, that I could barely manage to get up during fights because I was being knocked down so much. I wasn't sure if it was just a specific section, but after reading the description of the item, I figured it caused enemies to go crazy.

Sorry for being vague, I just don't wanna spoil it for people. Be sure to read item descriptions before equipping stuff folks. lol.

Why on earth would you equip something at random anyway? haha

You're not alone.
Wow, yes I do. Fuck.

Fuck. This is all my fault.

I put that on and looked at the stats and never even realized what the descriptions reads. What does this item do? I guess makes enemies more aggressive?

I don't know what the hell happened but I am only in chapter 2 amd street thugs suddenly became way harder. Men In Black are able to lock me in their combo chains and I can't do shit. Even regular goons are suddenly more difficult. I don't understand.

I'm using rush style on normal difficulty. It's even worse with brawler. They keep attacking me from all sides and I lose a lot of HP. I need to use HP items for a single fight. I was able to beat all these street plebs with ease yesterday...

Menitta

I love it how almost every equipment item has a good reason for doing what it does. Like the one that increases random fight encounters is a
super rare book that people want to take.

Edit: oh shit that's what that it! Fuck good to know!

I love it how almost every equipment item has a good reason for doing what it does. Like the one that increases random fight encounters is a
super rare book that people want to take.

Edit: oh shit that's what that it! Fuck good to know!

Don't get how a rainbow coloured shirt makes me able to switch between combat styles faster or how a perfume allows me to beat up more rich people but hey, it's Yakuza.

Ultimadrago

Why on earth would you equip something at random anyway? haha

Hah, fair enough. For me it was a very early game item and I didn't have much of anything equipped. Reading the description I thought it would only increase encounters themselves (which I didn't mind as that's more money). I was not clear that i'd make the AI much more hostile within the battles.

I haven't equipped anything

Also I saw Majima put an orange into someone's mouth and then kick the orange and then orange juice fountain and what

Don't get how a rainbow coloured shirt makes me able to switch between combat styles faster or how a perfume allows me to beat up more rich people but hey, it's Yakuza.

If you try to apply logic to a game where you can make a chicken your financial advisor you are always going to come up with bullshit haha

Also I saw Majima put an orange into someone's mouth and then kick the orange and then orange juice fountain and what
You must have had an orange in your inventory.

If you try to apply logic to a game where you can make a chicken your financial advisor you are always going to come up with bullshit haha
Or how (Y4 spoilers)
a guy can shoot 18 people and go to prison for it and not actually be the person who killed any of them.

actually i will never understand why Y2 is considered the best with so many people! it's my least favorite! story is great sure like every entry except 5. but it doesn't evolve enough in term of gameplay compared to the rest of the games. also the music is really the worst in the series even the spin-off had better music! it's a great game overall but definitely my least favorite.
i didn't know 2 was considered the best, i'll never know unless they remake/remaster that as well but what I like best about these games are the stories, the brawling of course is fun but the story makes playing it so worth it.
I haven't played 4 and 5, but 3 definitely comes after 1, 2, and 0 for me

And I think 3 is amazing. For that to be the weakest game is really saying how good Yakuza is

My rankings of the games I've played is:

1, 0, 2, 3
okay, so your opinion is a little different (unless it's what everybody else means) in that it's not tha yakuza 3 is a bad or weak entry, it's that all the other games are better than it.
I feel that Yakuza 3's strong point in its story telling can also be a shortcoming. For me I loved it... it strikes a perfect balance between a retired gangster trying to move on with his life and help the kids but being dragged back by his former life. I think the early parts in particular help motivate me too, watching the
orphanage get destroyed and then Kiryu finding out was one of the most pumped up moments I've felt in the series.
exactly! that shit kept me captivated like a movie. loving the main character, hating the shit out of the antagonists, wanting to see justice, etc. had everything that a good story of any medium should.
0, 1 and 2 have the BEST stories in all yakuza games. It's like they're another tier entirely compared to the PS3 games. Yakuza 2 in particular is just greatness all around (hence why damn near everyone rates it at the tippy top)

Even Yakuza 4, a game I thoroughly enjoyed, had the same problem of the plot just getting too weird as the story went on. Even Akiyama's godly chapter which had a noir feel to it wasn't enough to save the story.
I see, Yakuza 3's story did start to get weird so perhaps I can understand why it's rated lower among fans.
I don't hate it, but I think it has serious problems

There are some really cool moments in the game, but the narrative is sidetracked way too easily. I got whiplash from the central narrative coming to a screeching halt before barreling off and then slamming on the brakes again.
I'll have to give this thread a look later but I think I'm starting to get it
Yeah if you haven't played 1 I think Kiwami will be a really good experience!
lookin fuckin forward to it

and like I said I may double dip

I really don't get all the dislike for Yakuza 3 too. I know people say it's the worst of the lot but still a great game, which is fine.

I must be that minority that thinks Yakuza 3 is one of the better ones.

I must admit, when they first came out the PS2 ones were absolutely top drawer but they haven't aged that well imo so as far as face value goes - I have to mark them lower on my list.

0 - 5 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 1 - dead souls

Menitta

You wearing this rainbow shirt makes you feel so good and so confident, all your fighting abilities can be done on the fly.

I don't know...

Yeah, the platinum is definitely gonna have to wait for this game. If the Legendary save is a different one, meaning I have to start from the beginning, then I'm not gonna be able to stomach playing through the whole thing from the top from scratch a second time.

Still having a BLAST though.

JJShadow

Vitamin C is good for your health

r3zjxjl.gif

Frimaire

Anyone know of a good guide for Majima's Cabaret Club Business (both the minigame and world aspects)? I'm a little lost and overwhelmed by it compared to Kiryu's property management.

This is my first Yakuza game and I absolutely love it. I purchased Yakuza 3 and 4 used a couple days ago (I have Yakuza 5 digitally from PS+). I'll play Kiwami when that releases. Still haven't decided if I'm going to play the PS2 version of Yakuza 2 or wait for a possible remake.

Not a guide, but I could try to give a brief explanation. I'm not completely done the game yet myself, but I think I have a decent idea of how it works.

New hostesses can be gained in 4 ways: Completing certain side stories, recruiting them off the street, Defeating rival clubs, and the CP shrine.
To recruit new Hostesses off the street, look for girls in dresses with speech bubbles over their heads. They will ask you for a present, all of which you can buy from Le Merche.
Defeating rival clubs is the only way to get new platinum hostesses as far as I know.

Hostesses' abilities are separated into 2 categories: Looks(Sexy/Beauty/Cute/Funny) and Stats(Talk/Party/Love/Skill).
They also have Hospitality Points(HP), that basically functions as health, slowly decreasing as they entertain guests.
The Looks of Platinum hostesses can be changed slightly with the makeover option.

Before you start a shift, you can change the Hostesses on duty, Makeover a platinum hostess, and preform special training.
If you have other girls available, you should swap out any Hostesses on duty who are feeling tired. This is marked by the happy/sad face beside the girl's portrait.
Special training can only be preformed once per shift and only with platinum hostesses.
It's basically just free exp for her based on how many responses you give correctly/ how well you do in a minigame.

Onto the actual Minigame:As customers come in, they are looking for a girl with one specific Look and one specific Stat.
As you go hover over the list of Hostesses to be seated with them, their face icon will change according to how much they would like that girl. Note that time is frozen while choosing who to seat with a guest.
Poorer guests will be more easily satisfied than rich guests. I recommend not using your best hostesses right away on a poor customer.

Sometimes Hostesses seated with a guest will ask for help.
When you zoom in on a table asking for help, the girl will make a hand signal and you will have to choose the correct option. Correct answers will increase guest satisfaction.
Overall time is frozen during this, but there is a timer.
  1. Circle with both hands means swap ashtray.
  2. Twisting motion with both hands means towel.
  3. Opening motion with both hands means menu.
  4. C with one hand means ladies cup.
  5. L with one hand means Guest cup.
How long a guest will stay is marked by a circle counting down next to their table.
When the circle empties out, they will ask for their check.
You do not need to respond to this, but it gives you the opportunity to increase satisfaction. Mores satisfied guest leaving means more fans gained.
  1. Extend Session: Guests will sometimes stay longer if they are satisfied well. Try to use this on richer guests if possible.
  2. Give gift: Greatly increases satisfaction, but costs money.
  3. Thank: Slightly increases satisfaction, but free.
  4. Apologize: Can slightly increase satisfaction if guest is unhappy.
If a guest is unhappy, they will sometimes cause trouble. When this happens you have the chance to make amends, but the guest may leave regardless of what you do.
  1. Apology gift: Higher chance of convincing guest to stay, but costs money
  2. Protect girl: Increases Girl's HP, but may cause guest to leave.
  3. Scold girl: May convince guest to stay, but lowers Girl's HP
  4. Kick out: Forces guest to leave.
As you make money the fever gauge increases, when it reaches a certain threshold, you can activate fever time.
Fever time restores some HP to Hostesses and causes certain tables to go into a fever state regardless of satisfaction, spending more money and automatically improving unsatisfied guest's mood.
Higher levels of fever affect more tables. As far as I can tell it affects are random active tables.
Tables in a fever state stay that way until they leave.
When a fever table asks for their check you get new options:
  1. Give expensive gift: Massive boost in satisfaction resulting in more fans, but costs money
  2. Gracious sendoff: Increase in satisfaction, free
  3. Give girl gift: large boost to Hostess's HP, costs money
  4. Praise Girl: Small boost to Hostess's HP, free

I think that's most of it, though there's still one small thing.
Immediately after seating a girl with a guest, there's several seconds where the table is still not active and making money. The table is only active once the countdown circle appears.
You can skip this if you zoom in to help another table while the girl's introduction animation is still playing out, as the overall time is still frozen, but when you go back to the full screen the table is immediately active.
Probably not all that helpful or necessary, but it might save a few seconds.

Edit: I swear this looked shorter before I posted it.

Finalow

OT2 title should be ''do you have the Charismatic Autobiography equipped?", or something along those lines.

I do want to try the "actual hard mode" but I have no idea how to get that item.

Vitamin C is good for your health

r3zjxjl.gif
need a gif of the tea kettle one too

Peroroncino

I've finally finished my all heat actions montage as Kiryu, if anybody's up to the challenge feel free to check it out and try to find if I missed any [no spoilers from unique boss stuff]!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvVsyD6lTJQ

Some of those moves are preeeeetty fuckin' brutal! The one in 0:47 is probably my favorite, as it's SAVAGE af.

And now... time to start recording Majima's heat actions! :)

btw. I'm in chapter 12, holy shit... the stuff that's going on in this game is just amazing, so many excellent and emotional moments.

Rymuth

I'm torn...Kiryu's job interviews makes me want an Office parody with Kiryu or have Nagoshi make a Phoenix Wright-like spinoff for Yakuza. 8D

I'm torn...Kiryu's job interviews makes me want an Office parody with Kiryu or have Nagoshi make a Phoenix Wright-like spinoff for Yakuza. 8D
Now I'm imagining the theme from the Office playing and Kiryu hanging around the water cooler with his glasses on.

Alastor3

So you can only change character's outfit when you finish the game? That Reaaallly suck because I planned to finish all the subquest before finishing the game since I have such a huge backlog

completely stupid

JJShadow

I've finally finished my all heat actions montage as Kiryu, if anybody's up to the challenge feel free to check it out and try to find if I missed any [no spoilers from unique boss stuff]!

Some of those moves are preeeeetty fuckin' brutal! The one in 0:47 is probably my favorite, as it's SAVAGE af.

btw. I'm in chapter 12, holy shit... the stuff that's going on in this game is just amazing, so many excellent and emotional moments.

Amazing recopilation, will check it out later

So you can only change character's outfit when you finish the game? That Reaaallly suck because I planned to finish all the subquest before finishing the game since I have such a huge backlog

completely stupid

Yep, you can only change your outfit in Premium Adventure

Thanks for that. Already made a gif of my personal favourite heat move so far for Kiryu. I love it because it's something that older Kiryu would probably never do.

Auctopus

Sorry, I've asked a few questions relating to this already but could someone tell me what things besides the main story are not available in Premium Adventure, things that I will need to finish in Story Mode to get 100% Completion...

Cloukyo

Banned

completely stupid

It'd be pretty hard to do story cutscenes if you had different outfits on

Sorry, I've asked a few questions relating to this already but could someone tell me what things besides the main story are not available in Premium Adventure, things that I will need to finish in Story Mode to get 100% Completion...
Only thing not available is the story, and the trophies related to them (which don't affect 100% completion).

Everything is accessible and you can easily get 100% in that mode since you continue your finished gamesave.

Ultimadrago

Two questions on the cabaret:

A. Whenever a girl is in "Trouble", how do you know what to do? I choose Protect Girl a lot, but am not sure if there's a cue for the options.

B. After finishing a girl's substory, it offers you to Review Hostess Training. What does this mean exactly? You can go through the dialogue again? Does it affect stats or anything?

A. Whenever a girl is in "Trouble", how do you know what to do? I choose Protect Girl a lot, but am not sure if there's a cue for the options.

B. After finishing a girl's substory, it offers you to Review Hostess Training. What does this mean exactly? You can go through the dialogue again? Does it affect stats or anything?

A. I just wing it, and am usually wrong so I can't help you there...

B. Yes, you can review the conversations you had with that particular girl, but from what I can tell it doesn't have any affect on their stats.

A. Depends on the customer's preferences. If they want to be pampered then gifts are usually the way to go. Though I usually just gift them and call it a day.

B. If you want to go through that ordeal again just for the sake of it. Doesn't affect stats or anything.

Ultimadrago

A. I just wing it, and am usually wrong so I can't help you there...

B. Yes, you can review the conversations you had with that particular girl, but from what I can tell it doesn't have any affect on their stats.

A. Depends on the customer's preferences. If they want to be pampered then gifts are usually the way to go. Though I usually just gift them and call it a day.

B. If you want to go through that ordeal again just for the sake of it. Doesn't affect stats or anything.

Thanks!

Ugh can't beat the outrun challenge in club Sega to take over the Sega building in the electronic kings section and it's the last property I need to 100% all the real estate sections 😠 tips? I need more than 3 million points but I suck.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Quick heads up - the new free DLC patch is live, go visit the Shrine!

https://twitter.com/TriggerRedd/status/826494347768000512

Ugh can't beat the outrun challenge in club Sega to take over the Sega building in the electronic kings section and it's the last property I need to 100% all the real estate sections �� tips? I need more than 3 million points but I suck.

Treat OutRun like an actual racing game. Brake through turns, etc. Also make sure you're shifting into high gear! (R1, i think!) If you're redlining at 180kph, you're not going fast enough :D

Then uh, just avoid hitting other cars.

Just got to chapter 3 but wanted to ask, at what point will I start making real money? I want to start buying better skills but at 30 mil a pop, that is not happening.

Just got to chapter 3 but wanted to ask, at what point will I start making real money? I want to start buying better skills but at 30 mil a pop, that is not happening.

Once you unlock the businesses for Kiryu and Majima (chapter 5 and 7 respectively), you can start making some real dough.

You can also keep beating the shit out of Mr. Shakedown and he'll have more money (and health) everytime which is a good way to farm cash if you're good at it.

All of a sudden all the enemies in the game are just blowing me up and they never stop attacking. Can barely get past random street fights without using items. the hell?

Mupod

the money you get once you start doing the real estate stuff in chapter 6 or so completely dwarfs what you could make before. Unless you were farming Mr. Shakedown, which is pretty rough for me on hard mode. Takes for-fucking-ever to grind down 3 or more of his health bars even armed and chugging energy drinks faster than the world's scrubbiest Dark Souls player.

All of a sudden all the enemies in the game are just blowing me up and they never stop attacking. Can barely get past random street fights without using items. the hell?
Read below.

The item in question is the
Charismatic Autobiography

Top Bottom