• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

How 80's is this game? I have heavy 80s nostalgia.

Only people who actually remember the 80s should answer.

Aside from the dialogue, the hairstyles and fashion seem spot on. It's tough to answer because there's a ton I don't know about Japan in the 80's. There is a parody of
Michael Jackson
, so to me that's pretty 80's.

8bit

Knows the Score

Some of the terminology and the music used is a bit off, more 90s (one of the battle themes in particular sounds like it's based on Fluke - Absurd which was a mid 90s track) but otherwise it's pretty reminiscent of the time.

It's hard to say because this is 80's Japan, not 80's America, so it still feels very foreign to me other than the arcade games and some of the tech. Even the fashion seems different, at least for the men. No acid washed jeans, no Member's Only jackets, no Vans or Jordans, no buttoned-up check shirts, Polo shirts, or pastel colors. There is one nod I've seen to 80's hip-hop fashion. And the music doesn't have western styles like new wave or glam metal at all, it just sounds like older jpop. But I guess if you grew up in Japan in the 80's, it's probably pretty accurate.

Aki-at

Which is odd since Haruka's chapter in Yakuza 5 which was basically just a glorified rhythm game was actually pretty fun and catchy.

Haruka's segment totally took me by surprise, it was so well done I wouldn't mind a whole game set around it.

But disco does indeed have it's issue, it's not that the idea is bad, it's pretty great, but the timing couple with the multi coloured background makes it really hard to master...

Can't seem to peel myself away from Chapter 6. Doing real estate and funneling that into Shakedown with Deep Pockets. So far I've amassed 7 billion yen.

Loona

I'm torn...Kiryu's job interviews makes me want an Office parody with Kiryu or have Nagoshi make a Phoenix Wright-like spinoff for Yakuza. 8D

In Project X Zone 2 there's a mention of Phoenix Wright having defended Majima in the past and advising him not to hit the judge - mentioned briefly as introductory backstory, but it's nice that they bothered to add something like that.

In Project X Zone 2 there's a mention of Phoenix Wright having defended Majima in the past and advising him not to hit the judge - mentioned briefly as introductory backstory, but it's nice that they bothered to add something like that.

Yeah, I remember that line of dialogue, cracked me up!

Regarding a Phoenix Wright styled gameplay with Yakuza - they've actually done this kind of thing twice as side missions:

Yakuza 3 has a murder/mystery side mission where in PW fashion you firstly have to explore different areas and interview people to build up your case, eventually doing a mock trial as you expose the true perp.

Yakuza Ishin does a similar thing on a smaller scale - one of the side missions has you interviewing suspects (in a theft I think), you have to determine who the guilty parties are based on their testimony.

And in both instances Kiryu does his best Phoenix Wright impression when he accuses the correct criminals (doing an epic finger pointing!).

Cool thanks for the general 80s impressions. I knew there would be cultural differences, but just the general vibe will probably totally work for me.

Seeing a billboard ad for the Sony Walkman was pretty cool. Pagers and actual phonebooths. There's definitely enough hints to let you know this is not the modern age.

I did all the hostess stuff, still in chapter 7. If you really just wanna make money it's a lot faster to beat on Mr Shakedown a few times but taking over those clubs brings in a nice amount of cash. I do think the game's economy could stand some rebalancing tho, in particular Mr Shakedown is waaaay too rich compared to time investment/payout you get from businesses.

I did all the hostess stuff, still in chapter 7. If you really just wanna make money it's a lot faster to beat on Mr Shakedown a few times but taking over those clubs brings in a nice amount of cash. I do think the game's economy could stand some rebalancing tho, in particular Mr Shakedown is waaaay too rich compared to time investment/payout you get from businesses.
I agree. I'm making way more cash with Shakedown + Deep Pockets, I almost don't want to bother with taking over more real estate territories. I'll probably still go through with it, though.

Peroroncino

I just finished this fuckin' beautiful game. That last cutscene before credits was soooo well done I almost cracked like an egg.

It was absolutely worth the long wait, I like how they went deep into Kiryu's relationship with Nishiki, it's gonna pay off big time when Kiwami hits, especially for newcomers who started with 0.

Now more than never I'm completely sure that 0 is the best entry point possible, little nods to fans be damned, going from 0 to 1 is gonna be amazing for newbies that bonded with Kiryu and Nishiki in 0, I literally envy them right now.

Ultimadrago

I agree. I'm making way more cash with Shakedown + Deep Pockets, I almost don't want to bother with taking over more real estate territories. I'll probably still go through with it, though.

I'm doing it more for the substories personally. Taking back Kamurocho and Osaka from named big wigs is simply a cool thing for my characters to do in their leisure time.

About to start the game tonight.

So stoked!

Congrats, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

I'm doing it more for the substories personally. Taking back Kamurocho and Osaka from named big wigs is simply a cool thing for my characters to do in their leisure time.

Congrats, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Same, the stories seem interesting and thats what's keeping me going.

Ultimadrago

So which Mr.Shakedown is everyone's favorite in terms of personality?

I'd say Naoya Kawashiki. He's a little shit, but I find his casual nature with Majima so funny.

maxresdefaultz9s2l.jpg

So which Mr.Shakedown is everyone's favorite in terms of personality?

I'd say Naoya Kawashiki. He's a little shit, but I find his casual nature with Majima so funny.

I avoid them all like the plague. Is there any real advantage to fighting these guys? I usually only take advantage when they're asleep on the curb.

Regarding the gravure videos, I first assumed that it unlocks as you collected telephone cards, but as I found several it seems that it isn't the case.

Then I found some NPCs in substories, and after completing them videos of girls with same name and looks unlocks. But I'm pretty sure I spotted Ai Uehara (I can explain that..) as
singer in Utahime karaoke
in Dotenbori, but she doesn't appear at Gandharia.

Soo... What exactly unlocks the vids?
I just want too see the Uehara one :(

Ultimadrago

I avoid them all like the plague. Is there any real advantage to fighting these guys? I usually only take advantage when they're asleep on the curb.

Depends on when you decide to take them on. With both Kiryu and Mashima, I eventually got to a point of taking their worths in battle for billions of yen rather early on. It helped with buying real estate super early too. Though once I reached mid-game in real estate, the money I made from it was way more profitable than fighting Mr. Shakedown.

For Majima at the moment, I'm early-game in Nightlife Island and Mr. Shakedown got me a few billion beforehand, but even partnership costs so far aren't that expensive (neither are his fight upgrades). So I have a lot of extra cash laying around from them.

So if money ain't an issue, not really anything more to add aside from their brief substories from the first meet or CP for beating them a certain amount of times.

It looks like they put a baby's face on a man's body.

Yep! Him looking so stupid only makes it better. Haha

I like Egashira. Dude just wants to
get enough money to go to space
. I can respect that lol.

They sure are driven!

Soo... What exactly unlocks the vids?
I just want too see the Uehara one :(

Lewd.

Seriously though, to get Ai's you need to complete her Special Training/substory in Club Sunshine with Majima. You'll run into the mini-game during the story,
She's the second Platinum girl you can acquire.

Once you unlock the Shakedown Deep Pockets perk at the shrine, you get more money back ontop of what he took from you. From there, the strategy becomes: let Shakedown take your money, beat him to get your money back + profit, rinse and repeat. I've got 7 billion yen so far. The only thing is that he gets more health each time but with the right upgrades that isn't much of an issue. All of that on top of these characters having a story of their own.

bryanee

Pretty much this. I didnt realise you could take their money when they sleep. I got a cool 10 million in chapter 2 because of this lol.

j0hnnix

Just finished the story. Holy crap what a ride!!! The beginning did start slow but it picked up so perfectly. Everything involved kept me wanting to play through it. Welp. Time to become the Cabaret Czar I was ment to be. 😁

yakuza___purikura_session_with_majima_and_kazuma_by_litesnake-d5e3cim.png

silentbum

Neo Member
Just wanted to make sure that sidequests aren't locked to certain chapters. I see by looking at a guide that Ch. 2 opens up a whole bunch of them, but will I be able to do these all in later chapters? I don't wanna get too hung up on all these side things and end up heavily ignoring the main story.

SephLuis

Just wanted to make sure that sidequests aren't locked to certain chapters. I see by looking at a guide that Ch. 2 opens up a whole bunch of them, but will I be able to do these all in later chapters? I don't wanna get too hung up on all these side things and end up heavily ignoring the main story.

No locked sidequests. Once it opens, you can do them whenever you want.

Top Bottom