• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

vocab

Brandon F said:
Only ever played Yakuza 1(and only played up to Chapter 9 or so...half or more of the game?).

One thing that always irritated me was how easily some quests and key items are permanently missed. Did that ever change as the series grew?

Seriously considering taking the next couple months to steamroll through the franchise entirely. I've always had a hard curiosity about the sequels(and what I didn't see of part 1), and I think it's time to finally check them all out.

It's better, but quests are still on a chapter to chapter basis. I thought Y1 had a weak side mission system, and two started to move it in the right direction. You're almost done Y1. Just finish it if you can.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
vocab said:
It's better, but quests are still on a chapter to chapter basis. I thought Y1 had a weak side mission system, and two started to move it in the right direction. You're almost done Y1. Just finish it if you can.

Yea, I'm actually watching some Y1 cutscenes right now on youtube to catch up with the events so I can continue my savefile from...2006(yikes!). Looking forward to finally playing my copy of Yakuza 2, game has been sitting unplayed for years.

Also what transfers from a Y1 profile to Y2? Anything to keep in mind for savefile transfers later(like Y3->4)?

kiryogi

Banned
Brandon F said:
Yea, I'm actually watching some Y1 cutscenes right now on youtube to catch up with the events so I can continue my savefile from...2006(yikes!). Looking forward to finally playing my copy of Yakuza 2, game has been sitting unplayed for years.

Also what transfers from a Y1 profile to Y2? Anything to keep in mind for savefile transfers later(like Y3->4)?

Nothing in particular. Usually have a save from another game just locks some bonus trinket/accessories that you can use. But that's it.

Choc

Banned
finished this in japanese and am eagerly awaiting english version

spoilers

is the prison scene as annoying as it is in the Japanese product. Especially in the yard where you have to ask lots of people questions to get info

Part 2's intro is awesome, one of the best cutscenes I've seen in a game this generation. The music in this one is so much better than every other entry in the series.

Audioboxer

So although I got this yesterday, only had time to start playing today. A wee bit annoyed I had to sit through another lengthy install process! Sort this shit for The End!

Anyway, I like that you get a trinket for having played Yakuza 3, small but nice touch. A belly warmer at that! :p

Eccocid

LMAO, super chunk.

i really lolled at that part too! lol

Anyway this is my first Yakuza game and i am speechless! Not for gameplay or etc but for characters and the cutscenes and story telling is top notch! I dont like watching cutscenes in game (mgs 4 booo) but thy are so good in ere it feels like watching a tv series with good acting and characters who are not from 23984723th dimension.

I swtiched back to Mass Effect 2 after Yakuza 4 and ME2 felt like a saturday morning cartoon with its characters.

Audioboxer

Eccocid said:
i really lolled at that part too! lol

Yeah I'm quite a straight faced gamer, some things maybe make me smirk inside, but that full on caused my mouth to light up and sound to come out. Unexpected.

In review news, B+ from 1UP

Yakuza 4 may not win any awards in nine months time; it's neither a headline-grabbing game like Grand Theft Auto IV or Red Dead Redemption nor is it quite the epic Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid experience you expect from a major Japanese game publisher. But none of that ultimately matters; Yakuza 4 provides a deep, unique story that you won't often hear told as well a style of gameplay you don't often get to experience. Do yourself a favor and try something different.

http://www.1up.com/reviews/yakuza-4-review

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
making a LTTP post for Yakuza 1. thanks to you guys who convinced me to hunt down a copy. disc-only which miffs me, but it was only $7 before tax and god damn.. aside from the laughable VA, I'm about two hours into the game so far and it's simply amazing. Oh well, just wanted to say thanks and goodbye. This thread will probably be near death by the time I get through the first three games. Still, can't wait to finally get to 4!

hamchan

My order was just dispatched, should take 4-12 working days. Damn you all for already playing it, i'll go play Yakuza 2 again.

Eccocid

Yakuza 4 may not win any awards in nine months time; it's neither a headline-grabbing game like Grand Theft Auto IV or Red Dead Redemption nor is it quite the epic Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid experience you expect from a major Japanese game publisher. But none of that ultimately matters; Yakuza 4 provides a deep, unique story that you won't often hear told as well a style of gameplay you don't often get to experience. Do yourself a favor and try something different.

That's the thing. All those games they said doesn't sound epic near Yakuza for me. They look like cartoons or have comic book epicness. Yakuza 4 has realistic characters and for me their stories are more epic than bunch of weirdos who try to save world or kill bad guys with fashion.

Audioboxer

So relieved they give you a device that helps you track those locker keys! (emits a sound when you're near one) I'd rather do it myself in-game than read a FAQ off of Gamefaqs, but there was no way I'd pixel crawl the whole city without aid.

Larsen B

Does the back of the regular edition have "DO SOMETHING TERRIBLE TODAY" on it?

I got my Steelbook today and laughed out loud at how absurd that tagline is.

Loving this game so far, little details like the Boss vending machines, Pronto and Watami really go a long way towards making this feel like Tokyo

However:

the lack of Nigerian strip club hustlers constantly harassing you completely breaks the illusion

Man, I blew through Part 1 and didn't even realize it. Could someone spoil the chapter/part structure for me. How much time do we get with each character and are there opportunities to do the unique things each one does. At least it Part 1 it seemed like I was being forced to advance the story rather than explore. That may be my fault for rushing through, but I seriously had no idea! Part 2 so far is fucking great though. I'm really loving the game.

Audioboxer

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Man, I blew through Part 1 and didn't even realize it. Could someone spoil the chapter/part structure for me. How much time do we get with each character and are there opportunities to do the unique things each one does. At least it Part 1 it seemed like I was being forced to advance the story rather than explore. That may be my fault for rushing through, but I seriously had no idea! Part 2 so far is fucking great though. I'm really loving the game.

You pretty much get forced through Chapter 1 quickly, don't worry. Chapter 2 is where things open up.

You pretty much get forced through Chapter 1 quickly, don't worry. Chapter 2 is where things open up.

Ok, that's what it felt like. Do you know if we get to
play as Akiyama again/get the choice to? I really wanted to recruit more hostesses and play dress up!

DJChuy

IrishNinja said:
aw, man - you use it yet? ill paypal you a few bucks to try it out!
gameshare that shit!

Yes I did :(.

Did this line in Chapter 2 (Akiyama) bother anyone else?
Kill this fucker dead.
I couldn't stop thinking about it.

The side missions are pretty entertaining. I liked
the kidnapping one where they asked for money (ransom), but they used it to have the pool full of money.
Also found the one
where you have to find Hana a date
hilarious.

fernoca

Success! :)

5cgmx3.jpg

Only copy across 3 Best Buys; though.

i would highly recommend at least playing Yak 3 before 4. the amount of character references just from 3 is pretty amazing, and i'm only on the 2nd chapter.

Mack's voice is HILARIOUS.

does anyone have a link to him making that YAAAARRRRYYYY sound?

also, don't worry about missed missions, or things to do. you will be able to go back and finish all the stuff later on.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ok, that's what it felt like. Do you know if we get to
play as Akiyama again/get the choice to? I really wanted to recruit more hostesses and play dress up!

Yes, don't worry about it.

My copy came today, I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow.

Just going to get into it, but I wanted to ask if there are any missables?

Edit: Seeing how much health a meal will restore before buying it this time is a nice new touch.

quinntendopower said:
also, don't worry about missed missions, or things to do. you will be able to go back and finish all the stuff later on.

So nothing is permanently missable? I hope so, because I'd like to 100% this. I'm up to Tanimura's second chapter and the game is excellent so far.

sixclaws

Banned
I'm on chapter 2 of part 2 and I'm so glad that they changed the upgrade system over the previous games. Although I already miss playing as Akiyama, it was so much fun to do combos of 12 regular kicks into 3 heavy kicks then a heat move.

Just got back from Best Buy. 1 copy left. Whew.

I had no idea Y4 was $39.99 at BB until I read this thread. I was always going to get the game, but since I haven't finished 3 yet, I wasn't in a big hurry. This changes everything.

Anyway, thank you GAF.

fernoca

Well, so far I'm really liking it. Though I'm really early too.

Aside the first game, I never played the other 2; even when I was interested in them. But this new one at $40 during launch week was too much to ignore, and really glad that the game included a summary/clips from the first 3 games; so watched that in one sitting.

So far is just as great as what I remember playing of the first one. The living city, the street fights, the sense of humor, the great visuals, the "lots of stuff to do" feel....really glad I got this. :)

epmode

So I ordered this game from bestbuy.com the instant the sale started. Since then, it hasn't been in-stock at any of the stores that show up when I enter my zip code.

kiryogi

Banned
epmode said:
So I ordered this game from bestbuy.com the instant the sale started. Since then, it hasn't been in-stock at any of the stores that show up when I enter my zip code.
Yeah the estimate for my best buy copy looks like sometime in the beginning of april

The new leveling/upgrade system is definitely nice. They've been refining it with each entry but I think they've really nailed it this time. So far I've been saving my orbs until I've had at least 9 or 10 then splurging on the more expensive skills. I've got Akiyama's 4 point abilities and all but one 3 pointer (it's still locked).

graywolf323

just keep in mind that once stock falls below 3 at a local store it's removed from the site for in store pickup (they do this to decrease the risk of you ordering for in store pick up and them not being able to fill your order) but it's still worth calling or going to your local store and checking to see if they still have a copy or two left

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
epmode said:
Great. I'd be pissed I spent 20 more if it was anything but Yakuza, but I'm just glad it's selling!

Also if he ends up living through the game, I could see Arai as a lead in the new games. His whole deal is
very similar to Kazuya's in the first game

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
No best buys in la county have it in stock. I believe shipments may be behind. Or they have been flying off shelves due to sale. :(

Brandon F said:
No best buys in la county have it in stock. I believe shipments may be behind. Or they have been flying off shelves due to sale. :(
I think it's just a very low estimate shipment. Every BB in the greater Denver area was out except for one. I think they only got 2-3 per store, at least here.

kiryogi

Banned
Brandon F said:

I think it's that they were selling instantly, and at the price point I can't blame them. Sooo I'm waiting on dat backorder. Here's hoping it comes sooner when they realize demand was so high.

Audioboxer

Anyone else get this error when trying to redeem their DLC code?

CameraZOOM-20110317164230.jpg

The DLC seems to be on the UK PSN store for free anyway. I dunno if it's to do with my copy being from Coolshop, I think they send you a Scandinavian copy.

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand....blah.
Spent a bit of cash, worked my charms, and wooed a hostess out on a date.

Damn I just got rocked in Table Tennis.
Every other shot seems to go out of bounds. No chance of me getting some slow-mo ogling on. =(

hamchan

Rio is in this game? FUUUUUUUUUUUUU, they better not have modelled her to look creepy like every other hostess chick.

Audioboxer

By the way anyone know what the garbage you pickup is used for yet? Got 2 loads of it so far.

Also I got rather addicted to the UFO catcher, think I've got everything lol.

klausbert

Oh god i finally get to play it today when I'm home. I've got some serious Yakuza craving after playing the demo of 4 and that zombie one. Hopefully they'll make the wait for the zombie one easy by releasing Kenzan.

Top Bottom