• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

Audioboxer

Anyone know what you do with the Seal of the Dragon and Eye of the Dragon?

I also would like to know if you can use the pure gold manjiro for anything or is it just to sell?

jtkauff

So I'm in the same boat a lot of others are - picked up 1 a while back but never really had time to get into it. Got my copies of 3 & 4 at Kmart and was planning on just watching the recaps for 1 & 2, but then yesterday 2 showed up on Gamestop's website (used of course) so it is now on its way.

My question is, though, how long are the main stories for Yakuza 1 and 2? I'm probably more interested in getting through the main stories for 1-3 and then really digging into 4 before I get going much with side stories and whatnot, but with my overall backlog the size that it is I'm worried I'll end up losing steam and setting them aside. If I mainly focused on the main story would I miss out much from skipping side stories? Any input is appreciated.

I also would like to know if you can use the pure gold manjiro for anything or is it just to sell?
I ended up selling the eye wasn't able to find any info on it and needed yen.

Where is the golf stuff. Also I'm loving the darts game.

Also I have a link you so sub story guide but won't be ablr to link it until thiis evening.

jtkauff said:
So I'm in the same boat a lot of others are - picked up 1 a while back but never really had time to get into it. Got my copies of 3 & 4 at Kmart and was planning on just watching the recaps for 1 & 2, but then yesterday 2 showed up on Gamestop's website (used of course) so it is now on its way.

My question is, though, how long are the main stories for Yakuza 1 and 2? I'm probably more interested in getting through the main stories for 1-3 and then really digging into 4 before I get going much with side stories and whatnot, but with my overall backlog the size that it is I'm worried I'll end up losing steam and setting them aside. If I mainly focused on the main story would I miss out much from skipping side stories? Any input is appreciated.
If you're only planning on doing the main story and no sidequests, the first two games are probably somewhere around 12ish hours each. This is a rough estimate though as I did some sidequesting on my playthroughs it's been awhile since I've beaten them to say for sure.

If you only do story and no sidequests you'll be fine. The sidequests are not crucial to the main game. I find myself doing them because I get caught up in the world and just enjoy experiencing everything it has to offer.

I do recommend playing the first two games as they're very enjoyable (and since you already own them, you might as well play them).

GeoramA

Side-missions are fewer, but they really have a lot more meat to them compared to the previous games. Just learned all of Saiga's moves...pretty hilarious how he was actually in debt to Akiyama.

Playing as Akiyama has been awesome, so much more personality than Kazuma.

IIRC Eye of the Dragon is used to make an upgraded kali stick along with a specific piece of metal, you give it to the weapon customizer in the NE of town. Akiyama has special finishes with kali sticks btw so it might be worth your time to upgrade.

jtkauff

BentMyWookiee said:
If you're only planning on doing the main story and no sidequests, the first two games are probably somewhere around 12ish hours each. This is a rough estimate though as I did some sidequesting on my playthroughs it's been awhile since I've beaten them to say for sure.

If you only do story and no sidequests you'll be fine. The sidequests are not crucial to the main game. I find myself doing them because I get caught up in the world and just enjoy experiencing everything it has to offer.

I do recommend playing the first two games as they're very enjoyable (and since you already own them, you might as well play them).

Cool, 12 hours for the first two and 20 for the third seems do-able. And yeah, I figure I'll wait to get really caught up in the world until I'm playing 4. Thanks for the input.

Go_Ly_Dow

Gonna start it in 1 hour, cant wait!

The Kuro Edition case without the slip cover is so damn slick. Best steel case I have seen yet.

this game just is really something else had to be one of my most favorite series out there. I know I rushed the first part and that bums me out. Really didn't have much time with the hostess stuff and missed all of his side missions. I'll have the chance again I just cant state how much I love this game. I don't know much about being in tokyo but my guess is it is back pretty authentic representation.

And gods damn best soundtrack of the series.

Audioboxer

SiegfriedFM said:
IIRC Eye of the Dragon is used to make an upgraded kali stick along with a specific piece of metal, you give it to the weapon customizer in the NE of town. Akiyama has special finishes with kali sticks btw so it might be worth your time to upgrade.

I'm always so reluctant to sell anything unless I can tell for a fact it's only use is yen lol.

I'm not liking Saejima as much as Akiyama or Kiryu (based on past games). He's slow, seems to have the worst tracking for enemies and for as much as they hype his strength it doesn't really come across that well.

Yuterald

HOLY SHIT AT THE END OF PART 3

The storyline just got all kinds of crazy! I can't believe what I just saw. This game is sooooooooooo awesome. I've got 30 hours logged and it's absolutely my GOTY so far. Just started Part 4 and I'm so overwhelmed with how epic this shit is!

hamchan

I'm kinda sad we're not getting a standard Yakuza 5 next year after Yakuza 4 turned out so great. It's like a TV season for me.

Yuterald said:
HOLY SHIT AT THE END OF PART 3

The storyline just got all kinds of crazy! I can't believe what I just saw. This game is sooooooooooo awesome. I've got 30 hours logged and it's absolutely my GOTY so far. Just started Part 4 and I'm so overwhelmed with how epic this shit is!

I just finished part 3 too, and I'm also pretty surprised about what just happened. In a bad way, though.

story spoilers below:
Okay, first of all, the blond haired yakuza. After Tanimura meets him, Sugiuchi reveals himself as the traitor. Sugiuchi then shoots the blond haired guy. Then, after confessing to working with Katsuragi, the Japanese police force was apparently hiding inside the building the entire time ready to ambush him. First of all, why the fuck wouldn't they protect the blond haired guy? Give him a bullet proof vest or something. And more importantly, Sugiuchi goes on to say, "Japanese police can't shoot" then walks out the front door. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT OF SETTING UP THIS ENTIRE AMBUSH IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO LET HIM RUN OFF?! OMFG.

I usually let stupid shit in video game stories slide, because hey, video games. But this, this was just overwhelmingly retarded. Please someone tell me I missed something.

Then again, maybe this gets explained later on the story. I hope so anyway.

Cruzader

Banned
I have Y3 but since I never beat Y2, feel like I cant play 3 yet and have to wait to buy 2 :(

Want to play this game to play Y4, damm it!

GeoramA

Cruzader said:
I have Y3 but since I never beat Y2, feel like I cant play 3 yet and have to wait to buy 2 :(

Want to play this game to play Y4, damm it!
The Reminisce Mode does an excellent job keeping you up-to-date on the story. But the games are just too fun to skip completely. I'm glad to have bought all four at their release dates.

Yuterald

iconoclast said:
I just finished part 3 too, and I'm also pretty surprised about what just happened. In a bad way, though.

story spoilers below:
Okay, first of all, the blond haired yakuza. After Tanimura meets him, Sugiuchi reveals himself as the traitor. Sugiuchi then shoots the blond haired guy. Then, after confessing to working with Katsuragi, the Japanese police force was apparently hiding inside the building the entire time ready to ambush him. First of all, why the fuck wouldn't they protect the blond haired guy? Give him a bullet proof vest or something. And more importantly, Sugiuchi goes on to say, "Japanese police can't shoot" then walks out the front door. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT OF SETTING UP THIS ENTIRE AMBUSH IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO LET HIM RUN OFF?! OMFG.

I usually let stupid shit in video game stories slide, because hey, video games. But this, this was just overwhelmingly retarded. Please someone tell me I missed something.

I just figured that
the police arrived too late. They didn't really come out and say there was going to be an ambush. Tanimura called in that he was going to go meet the blond haired guy and I guess the police didn't act quick enough. The thing about Sugiuchi, dude, come on, you think if the police took out Sugiuchi or arrested him on the spot it would have been better 'drama'? As you said, it's a video game, it has to be dramatic. The scenes that played out after that were soooooo bad ass, to me, it made up for any "oh come on, this wouldn't have happened in real life!".

d0c_zaius

GeoramA said:
The Reminisce Mode does an excellent job keeping you up-to-date on the story. But the games are just too fun to skip completely. I'm glad to have bought all four at their release dates.

Yea I'm playing through part 1 now and its way more entertaining than I thought it would be

Yuterald said:
I just figured that
the police arrived too late. They didn't really come out and say there was going to be an ambush. Tanimura called in that he was going to go meet the blond haired guy and I guess the police didn't act quick enough. The thing about Sugiuchi, dude, come on, you think if the police took out Sugiuchi or arrested him on the spot it would have been better 'drama'? As you said, it's a video game, it has to be dramatic. The scenes that played out after that were soooooo bad ass, to me, it made up for any "oh come on, this wouldn't have happened in real life!".

I agree, the scenes afterward were really awesome. But I mean seriously, they couldn't think of anything better than
letting a murderer and traitor run off while surrounded by a huge group of police?!
lol

Yuterald

Yeah, I honestly felt that the circumstances in that scene were just 'understood'. It's the kind of 'what if' stuff that ultimately doesn't matter when you are trying to weave a story a certain way. That shit didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it. I was so captivated by what I just saw
with the rubber bullets and the real killer being revealed, the connection between Tanimura's father and the detective, the other chief police traitor, and then the scenes afterwards with Hamazaki showing the secret document to Kazuma explaining the police corruption & prison "utopia".

My jaw was basically on the flow the entire time from the end of Part 3 to the beginning of Part 4 lol!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope someone does a guide for hostess because it is really off on how it handles stats on that. It makes you assume a lot, and half the time it won't work

iconoclast said:

story spoilers below:

I was a bit worried seeing this post but when I got to the part you mentioned I really didn't think it was that bad. Yeah, I agree it's kind of dumb;
but I figured the 'Japanese police can't shoot" line was sort of a jab at how soft they are. I'd say an even stupider moment was when Tanimura handcuffed himself to Sugiuchi instead of cuffing both of his hands and thereby neutralizing him. Gotta find a way to segue into a boss battle I suppose. Oh well, still nowhere near as bad as in Yakuza 3 when Rikiya died because Kaz was too dumb to kick the gun away from the bad guy. Actually thinking about the series, there's been numerous times where the person with the gun doesn't shoot and they end up paying the price (Saito during the prison escape letting Hamazaki tackle him lulz)

Riposte

Is it safe to say I'll max out every character if I do all the quests? Don't want to miss out on any cool attacks or traits.

IrishNinja

hey since were kinda talking about part 3 here too: im really digging it. early orphanage fetch-quests are a different look for kaz, and just hitting chapter 4 with the family/political stuff...i'm into it. if 3 is just a big side-story im thinking im gonna enjoy it, and be all ready to dive headfirst into part 4.

ps debating new thread title: Yakuza 4 |OT| Akiyama Ain't Nuthing ta Fuck Wit
this might be my playing of wu over these games when the action revs up, shit's so fitting...might just be me though. thoughts?

fernoca

Yeah, Akiyama is awesome. I kinda feel I've done a lot around, even though I haven't..and i Just remembered that I'll be playing with 3 other characters sooner or later. Darn this game has a lot of stuff. :)

And WTF?! I ignored there was a Yakuza movie?!?! :O!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
hamchan said:
Akiyama is certainly one of the best characters in the series.
All the characters are. Saejima makes
Hamazaki, the biggest asshole in Yakuza history
into a bro

Edit: so I guess you can do the same revelations multiple times? I did the kung fu couple with Akiyama and Saejima and unlocked the block break for both of them. It also gave me a little wood carving collection item

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How exactly do you use the Belly Warmer? It says if you equip it with the other item you get, you should heal when not moving but I don't notice anything...

Oh, and is there a locker key guide anywhere?

RobbieNick

Akiyama should dump Lily and go with Hana. I don't care how chubby she is, any woman that can beat up your enemies, clean up your mess and make you lunch every day is worth keeping! XD

firehawk12 said:
How exactly do you use the Belly Warmer? It says if you equip it with the other item you get, you should heal when not moving but I don't notice anything...

It only works during a fight, you have to be completely still, and healing takes FOREVER.

Don't bother.

-----

Up to Part 3 now. If it wasn't for work and sleep I'd be playing this game 24/7.

zoner said:
All the characters are. Saejima makes
Hamazaki, the biggest asshole in Yakuza history
into a bro

Hamazaki =(

Go_Ly_Dow

Y2Kev said:
The graphics seem MUCH improved over Y3 so far.

Yeah I thought that as well. I mean the game renders at the same resolution and everything but it just looks a little crisper.

When it rains at night it looks so awesome, i always adjust the image settings on my TV to get the perfect atmosphere.

Audioboxer

When is it you can start getting rid of the garbage? Someone in this thread told me earlier some guy in the underground mall takes it. I have loads of it now haha.

Top Bottom